Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

BarbarianElephant posted:

Did they have to set an intern clicking "refresh" so it didn't log out automatically after a few minutes?

Knowing the FBI, probably. Assuming Ross was even smart enough to have an inactive timeout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

fishmech posted:

Lying? Drizly has been in business since 2012, that's certainly longer than DoorDash has been delivering alcohol.

Drizly was basically the original company to start actively operating out of multiple markets, doing all sorts of legal research and negotiations with state alcohol control commissions to work out how they can legally deliver alcohol in many places where at first glance you wouldn't think it was legal. They've also been able to expand into Canada as well.
I will be dogged. That's extremely cool. I apologize.

Turns out every. single. Yahoo. account. was hacked in 2013. Every one. And Yahoo's reassuring me that "The investigation indicates that the user account information that was stolen did not include passwords in clear text, payment card data, or bank account information. " Oh. Passwords in clear text weren't broken! I'm totally safe, then!

I wonder if Verizon will try to claw back money, depending on how long this breach has been known, as well as how long this breach should have been known.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

JawnV6 posted:

He had his private laptop open with MYCRIEMS.TXT helpfully unencrypted. Feel free to continue going to a public library (how long before they have cameras and tracking there?) for your crimesearches on their computers.
I mean, in practice, you have to use your library card credentials to log in and you won't get one of those without a real enough form of ID... but if I'm making as much as that dude and stealing from Google I'd probably buy a fake ID and some fake documentation to get a library card to upload on why am I even posting this on SA goddammit

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I mean, in practice, you have to use your library card credentials to log in and you won't get one of those without a real enough form of ID... but if I'm making as much as that dude and stealing from Google I'd probably buy a fake ID and some fake documentation to get a library card to upload on why am I even posting this on SA goddammit

Lots of places, you don't need library card creds. Libraries basically serve as homeless warming centers, up here in the northern Midwest at least, and they don't ask for your library card before the let you in or let you use a computer.

Up here in Ann Arbor, you can see the homeless folks lining up outside the library early in the morning, waiting to get in and warm up. When I was living out of my car (in a much warmer climate), I used to spend five or six hours a day at the local library - nobody kicks you out, there's internet access, and the librarians generally keep the cops out. If you're between jobs or addresses, public libraries are the best.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 3, 2017

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Brief update on that crazy man with a submarine, Peter Madsen:

quote:

The suspected killer of Swedish journalist Kim Wall will be detained for four more weeks after a Copenhagen court heard that 15 stab wounds had been found on her body.

Traces of Madsen’s DNA had also been also recovered from Wall’s body, as well as traces of a saw blade consistent with the removal of her head and limbs after her death, Buch-Jepsen said. An examination of Madsen’s computer had also uncovered material featuring women being tortured and killed.

What the gently caress

feller
Jul 5, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

How about duck duck go (the search engine), using a vpn, and in incognito mode? What catches you then?

fe: asking for a friend

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Senor Dog posted:

How about duck duck go (the search engine), using a vpn, and in incognito mode? What catches you then?

Lots of VPNs flip pretty fast in the face of subpoenas and give up customer records including payment info and access IPs. If you pick the right VPN it might be okay but by that point you might as well just use TOR. Non-idiotic people survive on the dark web using a combination of VPNs, TOR, and/or amnesic operating systems. Also encryption and steganography. If you really want to be effectively untraceable online (I say effectively because there is really no way to be completely untraceable), you need to practice pretty strict protocols and most of the major busts come from user error re: security rather than security holes in the technology.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

most of the major busts come from user error re: security rather than security holes in the technology.
This has always been true of spying in general and cryptography in particular. One of the most important sources in U.S. knowledge of Russia from 1943-1980, the Venona Project, was made possible because the Russian company that made one-time pads got lazy and produced duplicates. IIRC some of the Enigma encryption shortcuts came because early messages always led with the date or some other predictable text.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

[quote="“duz”" post="“477025218”"]
Knowing the FBI, probably. Assuming Ross was even smart enough to have an inactive timeout.
[/quote]

A full field agent in fact! While the others were running around trying to find a power cable for that type of laptop because Ross forgot his.

Like many details of Bitcoin real life is better than fiction.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Arsenic Lupin posted:

IIRC some of the Enigma encryption shortcuts came because early messages always led with the date or some other predictable text.
True, and on particularly difficult decryption days (even late in the war) the RAF would bomb an area just to provoke a message with known plaintext portions about where they were bombing. The British ran loving circles around the Germans by the end despite the way more impressive technology in use.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Also encryption and steganography.
How can you use steganography on the Internet? I mean, it's obvious to everyone if characters have different encoding, so you'd have to do something time-sensitive or establish a pre-agreed code of which letters have actual meaning to read, in which case you're just pushing the problem of key exchange further back...

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

How can you use steganography on the Internet? I mean, it's obvious to everyone if characters have different encoding, so you'd have to do something time-sensitive or establish a pre-agreed code of which letters have actual meaning to read, in which case you're just pushing the problem of key exchange further back...

Hidden volumes for large amount of data, though it isn't flawless.

I once edited an academic paper from a CS professor and his team was hiding data in images by using some algorithm to slightly alter pixels along the border between elements in the photo and they claimed that the changes were not detectable without either the original image or the algorithm. I won't pretend to completely understand it but I learned that there is some very interesting things going on with digital stenography as governments and organizations continue to crack down or attempt to put back doors into encryption and other methods of computer security.

EDIT: There's also the original internet steganography of communicating via codewords on obscure hobbyist message boards and such.

Tuxedo Gin fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 4, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Most file-formats have so much information-bloat that you can do a lot if you're creative enough and images especially afford a lot of options.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

The least significant bit of images, especially if it is 12 bits or more is probably essentially ramdom due to counting and readout noise. You may be able to use it as a one time pad

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender

Tuxedo Gin posted:

... stenography ...

Hiding info is steganography. Stenography is just shorthand.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

ima let u finish in me posted:

Hiding info is steganography. Stenography is just shorthand.

yeah my autocorrect kept loving it up and i didn't notice. chrome doesn't like the word steganography

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
With many file formats you can simply embed a different file within the metadata or just append it to the end, e.g. everdreard's mp3 gifs. This it trivial to do bout also about as trivial for forensic tools to identify. The more interesting way is altering the data itself such that it is indistinguishable from noise unless you know the key, i.e.:

Spazzle posted:

The least significant bit of images, especially if it is 12 bits or more is probably essentially ramdom due to counting and readout noise. You may be able to use it as a one time pad
There was a tool that let you do this very easily, I tried it years ago for fun. Obviously you can't store very much data in a 100kb jpeg before it starts going to poo poo, but for text communication it's not a problem. For all we know, PYF cats thread is an ISIS hotspot.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

mobby_6kl posted:

With many file formats you can simply embed a different file within the metadata or just append it to the end, e.g. everdreard's mp3 gifs. This it trivial to do bout also about as trivial for forensic tools to identify. The more interesting way is altering the data itself such that it is indistinguishable from noise unless you know the key, i.e.:

There was a tool that let you do this very easily, I tried it years ago for fun. Obviously you can't store very much data in a 100kb jpeg before it starts going to poo poo, but for text communication it's not a problem. For all we know, PYF cats thread is an ISIS hotspot.

Yeah I remember that program. Can't remember the name for the life of me, but it was pretty neat.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

mobby_6kl posted:

For all we know, PYF cats thread is an ISIS hotspot.
You mean it isn't? I might have to give George Soros a call.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

True, and on particularly difficult decryption days (even late in the war) the RAF would bomb an area just to provoke a message with known plaintext portions about where they were bombing. The British ran loving circles around the Germans by the end despite the way more impressive technology in use.
Is there a crypto thread or a history of crypto thread? I'd be there in a pin-striped second. Also, there's a new biography of Elizebeth Friedman that I'm really excited about.

e: During WWII you couldn't send chess matches, crossword puzzles, or knitting patterns through the mail, because the Feds were worried about steganography.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Gin posted:

yeah my autocorrect kept loving it up and i didn't notice. chrome doesn't like the word steganography

Hmmm, very interesting. :tinfoil:

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

quote:

Shopify falls after short-seller Andrew Left releases critical video

Shares of Shopify fell as much as 10 per cent after high-profile short-seller Andrew Left of Citron Research posted a critical video on the company Wednesday, calling it a “get rich quick scheme” and comparing to Herbalife.

In the video, Left called on the U.S. Federal Trade Commission to investigate Shopify’s business practices.

“What we see Shopify doing is selling business opportunities. Now some of their merchants actually have physical stores, but the majority of them are just using some dropship method and buying an opportunity to make money,” he said.

Left said he believes the company to be worth half its current market cap, or US$55 per share, even without FTC intervention. His comparison to Herbalife stems from a US$200-million settlement in 2015 with the FTC tied to the company’s sales practices.

Shopify was not immediately available for comment.

Here's the video: http://www.citronresearch.com/citron-exposes-the-dark-side-of-shopify/

I think there's some valid points about overzealous marketing, but the comparison to Herbalife seems like a bit of a stretch. Shopify, to my knowledge, has created an actual useful product.

I'm under the impression that Shopify has made the best product for brick and mortar indie shops to quickly make an online shop, and for flea market scale retailers. Left's accusation I suppose is that Shopify revenue is coming from I dunno fake businesses that churn instantly, and people are only making money by selling people on the dream of making money.

The question is how much of Shopify revenue comes from people who are expanding a viable, proven business to online, and how much revenue is coming from this sort of "jumping on the bandwagon, non viable, insta churn online junk business" stuff that Left is highlighting.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

High profile short seller makes pronouncement that a stock is overvalued, said stock drops in price shortly after. Hmmmmmmm.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Senor Dog posted:

If it's an active investigation? A number of things. They could use browser/OS fingerprinting, which is not just the browser's user agent but what plugins are installed, what media formats are supported and security settings. If Java or Flash is allowed to run, then you can store a marker on the local machine for later confirmation. But the most common method I've seen used is that they just embed a tracking pixel on a compromised page or otherwise somehow trick you into viewing an image that's actually on one of their machines. Since they only sent it to you, they likely now have your real IP. Then, when they think they have your physical location, they can do any number of fun tricks, like killing your internet for a minute and seeing if the account they think is you goes offline as well.
Or you can be like wunderkind Ross and order fake ids from your black market to your admin account with your real photo on them and have the package get intercepted by the postal police.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Steve French posted:

High profile short seller makes pronouncement that a stock is overvalued, said stock drops in price shortly after. Hmmmmmmm.
Yes, that's what he does.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/08/magazine/the-bounty-hunter-of-wall-street.html

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This has always been true of spying in general and cryptography in particular. One of the most important sources in U.S. knowledge of Russia from 1943-1980, the Venona Project, was made possible because the Russian company that made one-time pads got lazy and produced duplicates. IIRC some of the Enigma encryption shortcuts came because early messages always led with the date or some other predictable text.

Or my favorite:

quote:

The one snag with Enigma of course is the fact that if you press A, you can get every other letter but A. I picked up this message and—one was so used to looking at things and making instant decisions—I thought: 'Something's gone. What has this chap done? There is not a single L in this message.'

My chap had been told to send out a dummy message and he had just had a fag [cigarette] and pressed the last key on the keyboard, the L. So that was the only letter that didn't come out. We had got the biggest crib we ever had, the encypherment was LLLL, right through the message and that gave us the new wiring for the wheel [rotor]. That's the sort of thing we were trained to do. Instinctively look for something that had gone wrong or someone who had done something silly and torn up the rule book.

GJ giving up the new rotor wiring, lazy operator guy.

duz posted:

If it's an active investigation? A number of things. They could use browser/OS fingerprinting, which is not just the browser's user agent but what plugins are installed, what media formats are supported and security settings. If Java or Flash is allowed to run, then you can store a marker on the local machine for later confirmation. But the most common method I've seen used is that they just embed a tracking pixel on a compromised page or otherwise somehow trick you into viewing an image that's actually on one of their machines. Since they only sent it to you, they likely now have your real IP. Then, when they think they have your physical location, they can do any number of fun tricks, like killing your internet for a minute and seeing if the account they think is you goes offline as well.
https://panopticlick.eff.org/ is pretty sobering. I know not to crimes online because my browser fingerprint is completely unique of everyone they've checked. The big fun one is using HTML canvas to draw some things: graphics driver version, resolution, your monitors EDID reported DPI, the exact fonts (and release of fonts) installed all contribute to a fairly unique fingerprint.

Harik fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 4, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/_DianeKim/status/915693210088984576

posting this here, cause why not

edit: and before it's asked, the better translation here is "they are a doctor/they are a babysitter"

he or she is invalid since that info is not contained in the sentence as written

Condiv fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 5, 2017

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Steve French posted:

The purity and grace of free market perfection in action :911:

And they say competition is dead!

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Short sellers do God's work.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Spazzle posted:

Short sellers do God's work.

Short-sellers are their own arguments for why some financial services should really only be available to the most boring of institutional investors.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

MiddleOne posted:

Short-sellers are their own arguments for why some financial services should really only be available to the most boring of institutional investors.

If you did that then how would we ever discover hackable flaws in pacemakers?

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MiddleOne posted:

I can already imagine the tests for boring investors.

"Which of the following arouses you?"
A. A sexy woman
B. Stacks of cash
C. The comprehensive U.S. tax code and financial regulations

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
If you answer by asking, "For choice C do you mean the current code or a different year?" then you're in.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Ynglaur posted:

If you answer by asking, "For choice C do you mean the current code or a different year?" then you're in.

agreed, these are the people that i want managing the nation's wealth (unironically)

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

blowfish posted:

agreed, these are the people that i want managing the nation's wealth (unironically)

"While you were studying "marketing" via holding up sorority girls for keg stands...I was studying credit default swap protection leg yield and credit curve integrals as an input into a yet-unsolved function of recovery rates and whether these could be modeled to be dependent on interest and hazard rates."

Doesn't really roll off the tongue like "studying the blade."

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Ask the quant who applied the gaussian copula to pricing MBSes

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Uber's sexism scandal is being made into a Hollywood movie

quote:

The drama, which has the working title Disruptors, is based on the life story of Susan Fowler, the Uber engineer whose expose of widespread sexual harassment at the taxi firm sparked an inquiry that led to the resignation of its CEO Travis Kalanick in June.

The subject is familiar territory for Schroeder, who previously tackled the topic of workplace sexism in this year's box office hit Hidden Figures, a historical drama about three black women working at Nasa.

Disruptors is not the only Uber film in the works; plans for two comedies about the embattled app company were announced last year. Universal Pictures is developing an as-yet-untitled comedy starring Will Ferrell as “an Uber driver stuck with a deranged escaped-convict passenger”.

Fox is working on a rival film, Stuber, which reportedly follows "an Uber driver who picks up a grizzled cop working the most dangerous case of his career", produced by Horrible Bosses writers Jonathan M Goldstein and John Francis Daley.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Uber Pushed the Limits of the Law. Now Comes the Reckoning

Good summary of all the problems Uber is coming to face currently.

quote:

Uber faces at least five criminal probes from the Justice Department—two more than previously reported. Bloomberg has learned that authorities are asking questions about whether Uber violated price-transparency laws, and officials are separately looking into the company’s role in the alleged theft of schematics and other documents outlining Alphabet Inc.’s autonomous-driving technology. Uber is also defending itself against dozens of civil suits, including one brought by Alphabet that’s scheduled to go to trial in December.

Also,

quote:

Sullivan wasn’t just security chief at Uber. Unknown to the outside world, he also took the title of deputy general counsel, four people said. The designation could allow him to assert attorney-client privilege on his communications with colleagues and make his e-mails more difficult for a prosecutor to subpoena.

:stare:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

How can you assert expectation of privacy when you don't tell anyone you're in a privileged-communications relationship with your clients? :psyduck:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Just put it in your email signature! Then everyone who gets the email is bound by it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How can you assert expectation of privacy when you don't tell anyone you're in a privileged-communications relationship with your clients? :psyduck:

This only works when you're doing "attorney work." If you're doing non-attorney work, the priviledge will be found invalid by the court.