Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Visidan posted:

Saw this interesting lil image posted on av club

This implies that a lot of the "rational" subscribers are probably bots/fakes/or otherwise non active users.

Or that leftists are much more willing to put their money behind people they like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

turns out it wasn't about free speech after all!

https://twitter.com/tvietor08/status/916049672896204801

https://twitter.com/tvietor08/status/916050704652959744

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

please don't speak ill of reportoftheweek. he's an angel.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Midig posted:

Ok, youtube demonetization has gone too far!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppcYoem3URo

Just in case people might get the wrong idea. This dude reviews fast food, he's not a rational.

So glad this is happening. Youtube is so dumb and I've been predicting ad-o-pocolypse.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

did you not read my loving post.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

temple posted:

So glad this is happening. Youtube is so dumb and I've been predicting ad-o-pocolypse.

I'm ok with it on the grounds that he looks like a massive goober-doofus if nothing else.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

business hammocks posted:

He's got the McInnes wardrobe thing going on--it made me think twice.

Turns out its not just a gimmick for his channel either. He just likes to wear suits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL0O8UC72O4

Midig fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 5, 2017

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

WampaLord posted:

This implies that a lot of the "rational" subscribers are probably bots/fakes/or otherwise non active users.

Or that leftists are much more willing to put their money behind people they like.

I also wonder how much of ,say, Sargon's audience is people like us who just wanna laugh at the stupid poo poo he says.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

temple posted:

i dont want it to happen so rich evans can still aford his diabetes and AIIIIIIIIDDDDSSS medication

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I know this is the 'mock' thread, but maybe it helps to have a point of comparison to have someone who does everything exactly right and thank some sort of higher being for his existence?

Jim Sterling on youtube's most recent issues, and him specifically calling out people towards the end who criticize people for tying their livelihoods to Google/Youtube/Streaming.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Visidan posted:

It's worth pointing out that the "per video" amounts can be a little misleading. If a creator goes that route, patrons can set up a maximum dollar amount they can be charged in a month, so additional videos in that period give diminishing returns.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sargon makes six figs. kill me.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

sargon makes six figs. kill me.

Does he sound like a happy human being? He was caught searching for tugjobs in a screenshot. The man is probably loving miserable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like he could be miserabler.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

BigRed0427 posted:

I also wonder how much of ,say, Sargon's audience is people like us who just wanna laugh at the stupid poo poo he says.

I mean, it's also a quantity vs quality thing. Bearing and Sargon basically make bank off 'outrage culture' (yeah, I know it's kind of a dogwhistle), where any incident involving social justice is hot. people tune into them to hear their hot takes which coincidentally line up with the watchers own opinion. But there's a lot of people who are watching to get the warm fuzzy feeling of someone agreeing with them. Hell, Bearing does roughly 20 vids a month? that's more than one every 2 days. There's no way he could put enough time or effort into collecting and analysing the data or thinking about the situation in anything approaching a nuanced detail on top of talking, planning, finding footage, editing and uploading the video he just put out. Meanwhile, Sargon posts around 3 videos a week, putting him around the 12-15 video mark a month as well.

These guys remind me of video games journalism, where being first makes the most money and making people watch your channel is the most important thing. Any big game coming out has a slew of reviews, let's plays and livestreaming associated with it, some of it by fans who want to show it off and some of which is because its big enough to create ad revenue. Anyone looking to create ad revenue is somewhat detached from the purpose and game, because it's just there to pad their paycheck. Sargon and Bearing are basically churning out vids to make money just by getting click, so their content is shallow, easy-build jank because that's the fastest to produce and it gets clicks. They're not concerned about audience retention or actual intellectual discussion, it's about the money.

Which means when Youtube changes monetisation, it cuts the legs out from under them harder than it does contra or hbomb, who put time and effort into the vids and want to foster that type of discussion :getin:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Yeah, that's true about the monitazation. But I would rather Youtube grow a pair and declare "No Harassment, No Racism, No straight up Nazi poo poo" On their site and enforce it well rather than gently caress over everyone who makes a living off of the site.

Edit: Also, I guess more poo poo is coming out about that story that was posted about Milo

https://twitter.com/UnburntWitch/status/916056559226044416

https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/916041186124500992

I...I honestly don't know what to do about this at this point. Just...people my age who are out and out neo nazis have positions of power in business and government? gently caress.

Oh god...Now I just had the thought of some of the guys I work with becoming supervisors...Not all out nazis but...loving hell.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 6, 2017

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like he could be miserabler.

:agreed:

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Raenir Salazar posted:

I know this is the 'mock' thread, but maybe it helps to have a point of comparison to have someone who does everything exactly right and thank some sort of higher being for his existence?

Jim loving Sterling Son on youtube's most recent issues, and him specifically calling out people towards the end who criticize people for tying their livelihoods to Google/Youtube/Streaming.

FTFY

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BigRed0427 posted:

https://twitter.com/UnburntWitch/status/916056559226044416

I...I honestly don't know what to do about this at this point. Just...people my age who are out and out neo nazis have positions of power in business and government? gently caress.

Oh god...Now I just had the thought of some of the guys I work with becoming supervisors...Not all out nazis but...loving hell.

none of that surprises me really. hell i can even understand it in a hosed up way to an extent. it just seems really stupid/short sighted and counter productive and lovely.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 6, 2017

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

WampaLord posted:

Or that their audience is 13 year olds with annual income of Christmas money.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/UnburntWitch/status/916120576825090048

Welcome to the poo poo show ladies and gentlemen.

Reading all this bullshit makes me wanna break something.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Visidan posted:

i should also say that comparing video views and subscriber count can be pretty telling, tells you about the "true" subscriber count (discounting bots, people who don't watch the videos etc.) and what sort of videos the subscribers will prefer to watch. youtubers like hbomb, for example, you'll notice, get views proportionate to their subscriber count.

which makes sense, i bet not all sargon subscribers will follow the notification for every video, only if the title grabs their interest or whatever other reason. i would imagine the subscribership for youtubers who put a good deal of effort, research, and production values in their videos will be more likely to follow the notification soon after the video goes up, whereas even sargon's subscribers probably aren't too keen on watching every single sargon video as it goes up, since they go up regularly and at the end of the day are cheaply made and not exciting to watch.

Fututor Magnus fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 6, 2017

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

BigRed0427 posted:

https://twitter.com/UnburntWitch/status/916120576825090048

Welcome to the poo poo show ladies and gentlemen.

Reading all this bullshit makes me wanna break something.

https://twitter.com/unburntwitch/status/916126307884265472
gently caress that guy

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

none of that surprises me really. hell i can even understand it in a hosed up way to an extent. it just seems really stupid/short sighted and counter productive and lovely.

yea there's very little in that article that i didn't already assume. even the other journalists colluding with him, the right-wing doesn't have a monopoly on people faking their opinions for a paycheck. vice has been pandering garbage for a long time.

also lol that even his fellow trolls think baked alaska is a joke

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Midig posted:

Turns out its not just a gimmick for his channel either. He just likes to wear suits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL0O8UC72O4

lol she should get some suits that fit fucks sake lol

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

What's interesting (or maybe obvious) is how many of the collaborators are techbros to some lesser or greater extent. I work in the broad industry of dev, and now I'm thinking back to all the conversations I've had with people and trying to figure out if they were secretly Nazi fucks. It's really hard to tell, now that I think about it.

I guess there is something to be said for the idea that engineers are more likely to be ethically-stunted.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Madmarker posted:

Lot to be said about that data set.................I need to get in on this Youtube train. I'm not exactly attractive, but I can sound articulate and post a cartoon animal over my face. Guess I should go all bearing and make $10,000 a month off patrons. Also, the viewership:money made ratio is really interesting. Contra and Hbomber have far less subscribers, but a far higher percentage of them are patrons and as such are able to make a decent amount of money per video off of this, should this be accurate. Whereas the Rational chucklefucks seem to have a much higher number of subscribers, but a far smaller percentage of their viewers seem to be patrons

It makes sense when you consider the ideology of the viewer-base.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Dmitri-9 posted:

Or that their audience is 13 year olds with annual income of Christmas money.

Or their audience is made out of lower class people who cant afford to give too much.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

aware of dog posted:

gently caress that guy

He's at a ratio of 90 on that tweet as of right now.

That's gotta be some sort of record.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

JFairfax posted:

lol she should get some suits that fit fucks sake lol

Watch the video m8. It's not modern suits so it is not supposed to fit the same way.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
So he knowingly and purposefully dresses like a dipshit.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

please don't speak ill of reportoftheweek. he's an angel.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

your options on youtube for reviews of gimmicky fast food items are

-Well dressed, polite, boy who uses plates and silverware.

-Morbidly obese dude whose skin has turned a weird graying purple due to his dietary lifestyle of eating entire pizzas in the driver's seat of his car.

review of the week kid is good. please be nice to him

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 6, 2017

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
this space reserved in case review of the week has an outburst involving racial slurs and I need to backtrack on this

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
There's only one food review channel I have room in my life for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onr7lf5yZn0

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

little munchkin posted:

yea there's very little in that article that i didn't already assume. even the other journalists colluding with him, the right-wing doesn't have a monopoly on people faking their opinions for a paycheck. vice has been pandering garbage for a long time.

also lol that even his fellow trolls think baked alaska is a joke

yeah, and i can understand throwing an rear end in a top hat like arthur chu or jon macintosh under the bus for laugh or a gently caress you, they harm the lefty movement anyway. but its also a short sighted and lovely thing to work with out and out nazis for a gently caress you.

Pembroke Fuse posted:

What's interesting (or maybe obvious) is how many of the collaborators are techbros to some lesser or greater extent. I work in the broad industry of dev, and now I'm thinking back to all the conversations I've had with people and trying to figure out if they were secretly Nazi fucks. It's really hard to tell, now that I think about it.

I guess there is something to be said for the idea that engineers are more likely to be ethically-stunted.

yeah, stem is full of weird on the spectrum libertarian/"race realist" types and some are smart enough to hide it away. another guess is some of them were centrists who knew all the dirty poo poo and got sick of the people they threw under the bus being hypocrits and such and said "gently caress it, ill show them".

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

little munchkin posted:

this space reserved in case review of the week has an outburst involving racial slurs and I need to backtrack on this

It kills me a little inside that I saw this post and thought "that's probably a good move"

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, stem is full of weird on the spectrum libertarian/"race realist" types and some are smart enough to hide it away. another guess is some of them were centrists who knew all the dirty poo poo and got sick of the people they threw under the bus being hypocrits and such and said "gently caress it, ill show them".

I knew a lot of computer engineers who were "self made" dipshits, but didn't see them sliding into Nazism so quickly. Not sure about the S and M portions of STEM though. Scientists usually have some kind of understanding of social dependency (standing on the soldier of giants, etc) and Medicine requires at least a tiny amount of empathy.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

He can be the nicest boy in the world but I'm still gonna give his dorky rear end a wedgie.

And the best food reviewer is the guy who loves MREs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Who What Now posted:

He can be the nicest boy in the world but I'm still gonna give his dorky rear end a wedgie.

And the best food reviewer is the guy who loves MREs.

Objectively inaccurate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGkHRa64sDY

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Medicine requires at least a tiny amount of empathy.

This is unfortunately false. It requires the ability to fake empathy. There are a ton of REALLY lovely people in medicine. My first rotation in an ER, the doctor I was shadowing asked me a bunch of questions about a patient and then shot down all my clinical assessments of their drug addiction with "actually it's just because she's a garbage person." Why those people don't just go into finance is beyond me, but they're definitely there. Also I thought the M in STEM stood for Math.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 6, 2017

• Locked thread