Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Gundam Battle Assault 2 is still the peak of Gundam games, but EXVS is still close.

I'm using Hi-Nu for now until I get my Nightingale, since it's the closest to my true forever suits, Xi and Penelope.

There needs to be more Psycho Gundam Mk3 in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm waiting for Destiny, 00 Raiser, and Leo, but I fear I may be waiting eternally.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I started using the Titans Mk II in online play and it's an incredible feeling to repeatedly kick the 500 point god suits in the back of the head, then burst and punch them over to curb stomp them.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

chumbler posted:

I'm waiting for Destiny, 00 Raiser, and Leo, but I fear I may be waiting eternally.

The 00 and Destiny have decent enough odds, I'd think. They're title mobile suits from shows that, whatever their artistic merits, made Bandai good money, and they're from parts of the series already represented.

The Leo... it's less likely.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dumb question, how the heck do you control the transformed forms? I only seem to be able to fly level or up, which makes aiming rather impossible.

Actually I can't even figure out how to do the transformations that don't have a dedicated button.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Oct 2, 2017

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

The Leo... it's less likely.

And yet it was recently added to Battle Operation Next so there's at least some hi-res assets lying around somewhere.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 2, 2017

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

LuiCypher posted:

The non-DLC roster alone looks amazing - http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Gundam_Versus

Now that I'm looking back at this list I just realized:

Where the gently caress is my G Gundam in a game about Gundams fighting each other? I'd rather have one Shining Gundam (which came from an actual Gundam anime) over three different Crossbone Gundams (which came from a manga).

I mean, poo poo, I'd prefer at least some prioritization of mobile suits that came from an actual series over manga-sourced units.

chumbler posted:

Dumb question, how the heck do you control the transformed forms? I only seem to be able to fly level or up, which makes aiming rather impossible.

Actually I can't even figure out how to do the transformations that don't have a dedicated button.

It's an old control scheme that is circa Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam, but Sidestep forward while in the air and hold the second press down - you should transform.

Now, as to how you control it - that changed, I think. I vaguely remember that holding down Boost (X) pushed you upwards and letting it go allowed you to descend in Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam, but I haven't really tested it here because transformation is not as essential as it was in GvZG.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 2, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If we didn't have Crossbone though then 2017 couldn't be the Year of Zabine. SRWV alone wouldn't have been enough to the fill the Zabine quota.

It's Zabine time. Post your favorite aristocracies.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One really weird omission is Athrun. He's the only one of the original SEED Gundam boys not to show up, either in the Aegis or the Justice.

There's lots of strange gaps in the roster like that. Makes the game feel like a proof-of-concept for a more expansive sequel.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Raxivace posted:

If we didn't have Crossbone though then 2017 couldn't be the Year of Zabine. SRWV alone wouldn't have been enough to the fill the Zabine quota.

It's Zabine time. Post your favorite aristocracies.

Right, but I need to reach my quota of Gundam Maxter dual-wielding magnums while surfing across the battlefield and punching fools who get close.

Darth Walrus posted:

One really weird omission is Athrun. He's the only one of the original SEED Gundam boys not to show up, either in the Aegis or the Justice.

There's lots of strange gaps in the roster like that. Makes the game feel like a proof-of-concept for a more expansive sequel.

Athrun was definitely a weird omission considering the inclusion of Buster and Blitz, but I'm kind of glad that the cancer of Strike Freedom is gone. Now we can get to know the new cancer that is Hot Scramble Gundam.

It's really weird, but a lot of beginner guides tell you to use 400 or even 500 cost suits to learn the game, but I seem to be performing much better (but really only against AI) in 300 cost suits. I feel like Virtue can be hard to play competitively because most of your primary abilities either take time or leave you wide open, but if ignored you absolutely punish the living hell out of people.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 2, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

LuiCypher posted:

It's really weird, but a lot of beginner guides tell you to use 400 or even 500 cost suits to learn the game, but I seem to be performing much better (but really only against AI) in 300 cost suits. I feel like Virtue can be hard to play competitively because most of your primary abilities either take time or leave you wide open, but if ignored you absolutely punish the living hell out of people.

As a super nerd who plays EXVS games relatively seriously, I'll weigh in.

A hugely important mechanic that the game doesn't really explain very well is that your recovery time after landing is based on how much of your boost was gone; landing at low boost(or overheat) means you spend more time before you can move(which is when you'll get hit). This is one reason most guides suggest 400 and 500 suits to learn on; when you're playing against opponents who know how to reliably attack you, the extra performance of higher cost suits is a lot more forgiving for new players who will tend to move in very sloppy ways. The second major reason is that higher cost suits tend to be very versatile and have a lot of tools to allow them to readily adapt to many different situations and playstyles, while lower cost suits tend to be substantially more narrow and specialized and weak outside of their niche; learning how to wrestle the Virtue around and land GN Bazooka shots prepares you very poorly for how to play other types of suits, for example.

That and there's metagame considerations; for casual new player play it doesn't really matter what you pick, but in serious tryhard play higher cost teams(500/400) are heavily dominant at the moment because of how aggressive and frantic this particular entry in the franchise is. At the super casual level that most players play at it doesn't matter at all, though, because your average new or casual player isn't going to be able to squeeze all the performance out of what they're playing anyway.

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008

chumbler posted:

I mean the episode basically starts with Zechs jumping out of a carrier in reentry with a ground based mobile suit to fight Heero in freefall, then wrassles the Wing and jumps out of the Leo while still probably pretty high up.

Wing is intense, perhaps.

Also I hope they put up the definitive version, the dub. And it's a shame the soundtrack was taken down, because Wing's soundtrack is great.

Ko Otani is the best.
The best.

If you haven't listened to his scores for the 90s Gamera trilogy, do the thing. Outlaw Star too.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kanos posted:

As a super nerd who plays EXVS games relatively seriously, I'll weigh in.

A hugely important mechanic that the game doesn't really explain very well is that your recovery time after landing is based on how much of your boost was gone; landing at low boost(or overheat) means you spend more time before you can move(which is when you'll get hit). This is one reason most guides suggest 400 and 500 suits to learn on; when you're playing against opponents who know how to reliably attack you, the extra performance of higher cost suits is a lot more forgiving for new players who will tend to move in very sloppy ways. The second major reason is that higher cost suits tend to be very versatile and have a lot of tools to allow them to readily adapt to many different situations and playstyles, while lower cost suits tend to be substantially more narrow and specialized and weak outside of their niche; learning how to wrestle the Virtue around and land GN Bazooka shots prepares you very poorly for how to play other types of suits, for example.

That and there's metagame considerations; for casual new player play it doesn't really matter what you pick, but in serious tryhard play higher cost teams(500/400) are heavily dominant at the moment because of how aggressive and frantic this particular entry in the franchise is. At the super casual level that most players play at it doesn't matter at all, though, because your average new or casual player isn't going to be able to squeeze all the performance out of what they're playing anyway.

This is a good post. I only play them "seriously" in a casual format (vs. AI) and I have a crippling lack of experience against people, which changes the game significantly. To use the old Star Wars quote (and something that mirrors fighting games in real life) - good against remotes (AI) is one thing. Good against the living, that's something else. A lot of my experience over the years is now probably a few good things mixed with a lot of bad habits that I carried over from playing way too much FvZ and GvZG by myself. As you say, the 400 and 500 cost suits are probably the best to learn on because they're the most forgiving of mistakes and many of their playstyles have transferable skills. I think I just gravitated towards the 300s vs. the AI because I felt less pressure to try to learn how to play 'front' and could instead focus on trying to do what that suit is good at (Shooting/Fighting).

I've got a fair amount of learning and re-learning to do, but it's still a lot of fun. I mentioned Virtue because even as a 300 cost shooting suit, I feel like it's got one hell of a curve thanks to its unforgiving boost gauge and the need to know exactly how its beams operate in terms of travel time, etc. I think trying to play it competitively against people when you're a new player is not going to teach you a lot of transferable skills (unless maybe all you do is immediately shed Virtue and go to Nadleeh) and is probably going to be an exercise in frustration.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Hey playing by yourself isn't so bad.

I played very gundam vs gundam game and for while, I could only play against the computer. My excessive love of gundam made me play each suit a ton and to make things difficult for myself I would do 3 vs 1 with the AI difficulty set to max.

I now play online and do pretty well for myself, but I still have to learn the more advance techniques.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Are there any Gundam games that handle space combat well?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Encounters in space maybe? I don't really remember any others.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unironically my favorite Gundam action game that is exclusively Gundam is Gundam: The Ace Pilot for the Gamecube. It's worth looking up if you don't mind another OYW game.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
How do ranked battles work? I can't figure out the matchmaking.

I do like the reward system - it's fair, it's clear, it's non-random, and it encourages you to play a variety of game-modes by making the single-player good for experience and the multiplayer good for cash. Even if a reward is locked away behind a suit you're not super-keen on, you can save up money by playing with suits you like and then take that suit through trials or Ultimate Mode a couple of times.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Seriously, why haven't the western versions been updated to 1.6 yet

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Willo567 posted:

Seriously, why haven't the western versions been updated to 1.6 yet

This is baffling, as is the lack of a statement as to why it hasn't happened. I'm still playing my JP copy and can't play with any of my NA copy friends.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Someone in the PS4 thread asked for tips and stuff, and I might as well crosspost the guide stuff here too since there's more people playing here than in the PS4 thread.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Just started 00 and very surprised/pleased at how lovely these grunt suits are

I love the Graze from IBO because it's like a cheap sedan, these 00 grunts are like a unicycle with a square wheel

Look at this lovely thing

It screams "please kill me" I'm in love

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Marx Headroom posted:

I love the Graze from IBO because it's like a cheap sedan, these 00 grunts are like a unicycle with a square wheel

I always saw the Graze as being like... the most modern but also LARPy suit ever. Dressing and acting like knights, but then the Gundam frames and even some other normal suits come out like Viking Berserkers and just faceroll them.

Crank totally rocked that appeal though. What a glorious bastard and I think Tekkadan would have gone an entirely different path had they kept him around.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ranzear posted:

I always saw the Graze as being like... the most modern but also LARPy suit ever. Dressing and acting like knights, but then the Gundam frames and even some other normal suits come out like Viking Berserkers and just faceroll them.

Crank totally rocked that appeal though. What a glorious bastard and I think Tekkadan would have gone an entirely different path had they kept him around.

Nah, the Grazes are very well-designed for what they are - cheap, functional, modular, and well-equipped for asymmetrical warfare (notice how most of their armour is on their legs). It's the Ritters that are doing knight cosplay.

The Gundam going up against Grazes was more like a Cold War main battle tank going up against an MRAP - it's old, it's horribly inefficient, it's a nightmare to maintain, and it's designed for a type of warfare that's largely gone out of style, but in head-to-head combat, it'll wreck face.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Marx Headroom posted:

Just started 00 and very surprised/pleased at how lovely these grunt suits are

Look at this lovely thing

It screams "please kill me" I'm in love

What? 00 grunts own. They're not the greatest grunt suit in the entire franchise (Leo) but they all have neat ideas behind them to show just how far ahead the gundams were. The flying ones are spindly because they have to be to get off the ground, and the tieren are like the first attempt at tanks on legs.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 6, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Aries is better than the Leo.
I did like that the talgeese is just a Leo wearing a hat.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 6, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

chumbler posted:

What? 00 grunts own. They're not the greatest grunt suit in the entire franchise (Leo) but they all have neat ideas behind them to show just how far ahead the gundams were. The flying ones are spindly because they have to be to get off the ground, and the tieren are like the first attempt at tanks on legs. tanks on legs.

hands too big

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

chumbler posted:

What? 00 grunts own. They're not the greatest grunt suit in the entire franchise (Leo) but they all have neat ideas behind them to show just how far ahead the gundams were. The flying ones are spindly because they have to be to get off the ground, and the tieren are like the first attempt at tanks on legs.

To be fair he did link the Realdo, a suit that is already obsoleted by the Flag at the start of the show.

The Flag is beautiful in all its forms however and I will hear no argument against this fact. :colbert:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

China's Goth phase.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Looks like it has parts from a Bearguy, the cutesy version of the Acguy mech from Gundam.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

Looks like it has parts from a Bearguy, the cutesy version of the Acguy mech from Gundam.

I'm trying to wrap my head around what could have led to this sentence and I just :psyboom:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'm trying to wrap my head around what could have led to this sentence and I just :psyboom:

They're relatively popular as far as model kits go.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm aware, as I'm sure everyone in the Gundam thread in which you're posting is aware.

It's just such a weird and obvious thing to come out of the blue with completely no lead in. Not like someone asking what it is or what's with the getup or anything.

Even moreso since it's a repaint of an official kit, not a kitbash or anything

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's the Chinagguy

speaking of which, Battlogue 3 is up on Gundaminfo

Guy Goodbody fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 6, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'm aware, as I'm sure everyone in the Gundam thread in which you're posting is aware.

It's just such a weird and obvious thing to come out of the blue with completely no lead in. Not like someone asking what it is or what's with the getup or anything.

Even moreso since it's a repaint of an official kit, not a kitbash or anything

I thought this was the Aliexpress thread haha

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That was a freaking Precure parody. Complete with Miracle Lights.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I assumed you thought you were posting in another thread but I wasn't sure.

Also that Battlogue episode sure did happen. :stare:

(I'd probably buy a Rick-Do-Gyanko though because gently caress yeah Rick Dom)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Battlogue 3 was not what I was expecting and was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I couldn't make out what was in the teaser for next episode, but come on just give me Fellini already.