Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Rigel posted:

3rd amendment is not really confusing, though. Its useless, but we're not confused about its meaning.
IIRC the 3rd has one SCOTUS case ever.

The 10th is the real joke one. It's totally meaningless.

Edit: I was wrong, 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals. Engblom v. Carey.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jeff Sessions Rescinds Obama-Era Government Policy That Protects Transgender Workers From Discrimination

:sigh:

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen..._discrimination

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Synthbuttrange posted:

Jeff Sessions Rescinds Obama-Era Government Policy That Protects Transgender Workers From Discrimination

:sigh:

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen..._discrimination

Did Obama do it? Ok it gotta go.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If you want to get really confused try to work out how you reconcile the ruling in United States v. Miller with the ruling in District of Columbia v. Heller when laws based on both are still in effect and being upheld in federal courts.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Rent-A-Cop posted:

IIRC the 3rd has one SCOTUS case ever.

The 10th is the real joke one. It's totally meaningless.

Edit: I was wrong, 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals. Engblom v. Carey.

Holy crap, a court actually had to analyze the 3rd amendment, I just assumed we've never had an issue with it before.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
No lie I'd have to look up what the 3rd amendment even is.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mustached Demon posted:

Did Obama do it? Ok it gotta go.

So should we just go through Obama's wiki page and start taking bets on what is going to be targeted next by Trump/Sessions?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Rent-A-Cop posted:

If you want to get really confused try to work out how you reconcile the ruling in United States v. Miller with the ruling in District of Columbia v. Heller when laws based on both are still in effect and being upheld in federal courts.

Well they did have an impact on the law. The cities in those two cases went from "no handguns ever, gently caress you go away" to allowing them hypothetically, but making the process so insanely difficult that very few people jump through all the hoops.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Zil posted:

So should we just go through Obama's wiki page and start taking bets on what is going to be targeted next by Trump/Sessions?

Yeah actually I'm not joking.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Mustached Demon posted:

Yeah actually I'm not joking.

I don't think Zil is, either

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
What I'm gathering is that pro gun people can't be reasoned with and will argue the same half dozen lovely and easily refuted rhetorical noises in shifts until the pressure dies down or they cross a line and get put in time out. "What about cars, what about my rights, what even is an assault rifle, what's the point of laws when you can break them" over and over in a circle.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

http://www.npr.org/2017/10/05/555685136/republicans-and-democrats-dont-agree-dont-like-each-other-and-its-worst-than-eve

quote:

Democrats and Republicans have worse views of each other than ever before

The Pew study underscored a deep distaste for the "other side," too — along with evidence of just how polarized society as a whole has become geographically and socially.

Among both Republicans and Democrats, the share of very unfavorable opinions of the other party has more than doubled in the past 23 years. In 1994, just 16 percent of Democrats said they held very unfavorable opinions of the GOP.

Two decades later, that number has practically tripled — to 44 percent. The numbers are almost identical in how Republicans view Democrats, too — 17 percent in 1994 and now 45 percent.

"Partisans have long held unfavorable views of the other party, but negative opinions are now more widely held and intensely felt than in the past," the study notes.

Additionally, both parties say they overwhelmingly associate with people who share their same political beliefs — 67 percent of Democrats say a lot of their close friends are also Democrats; 57 percent of Republicans say the same thing. Only 14 percent of Republicans say they have a lot of friends in the opposing party, while just 9 percent of Democrats do.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Minion of Freya posted:

What I'm gathering is that pro gun people can't be reasoned with and will argue the same half dozen lovely and easily refuted rhetorical noises in shifts until the pressure dies down or they cross a line and get put in time out. "What about cars, what about my rights, what even is an assault rifle, what's the point of laws when you can break them" over and over in a circle.

Yep. I would kind of respect someone who goes "yes, I know that banning all guns would reduce gun deaths by a lot, and yes I know that not doing it will mean mass shootings indefinitely and there's nothing else that would significantly impact them. However, I still oppose a ban because those deaths are the price we have to pay for the freedom to have guns."

The argument would be kind of over at that point, because the only answer to that is debating the worth of countless lives vs a hobby, but it would at least be less maddening. Most pro-gun folks I believe think the argument I wrote above, but they also don't want a ton of angry people calling them a monster, so they instead opt for bullshit arguments.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Trump HHS is rolling back the birth control mandate in Obamacare.

Employers with more than 25 employees will no longer be required to provide healthcare plans that cover birth control at no cost.

Previously, exemptions were only allowed for organizations that were entirely religious in nature (i.e. Religious private schools, actual churches, or convents).

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/us/politics/trump-birth-control.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

quote:

Trump Administration Set to Roll Back Birth Control Mandate

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration is poised to roll back the federal requirement for employers to include birth control coverage in their health insurance plans and vastly expand exemptions for those that cite moral or religious objections.

The new rules, which could be issued as soon as Friday, fulfill a campaign promise by President Trump and are sure to touch off a round of lawsuits on the issue.

More than 55 million women have access to birth control without co-payments because of the contraceptive coverage mandate, according to a study commissioned by the Obama administration.

In the new rules, the Trump administration says the Affordable Care Act does not explicitly require coverage of contraceptives.

The administration lists health risks that it says may be associated with the use of certain contraceptives, and it says the mandate could promote “risky sexual behavior” among some teenagers and young adults.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

A completely unsurprising result when one of only two realistically possible political parties goes completely ape-poo poo insane, starts openly supporting white supremacist/nazi organizations and wants to force it's citizenry into bankruptcy, or death, or bankruptcy and then death to give a few more points to it's donor class stock portfolios.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

zxqv8 posted:

I don't think Zil is, either

Sadly yes. :cry:

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017

bird food bathtub posted:

A completely unsurprising result when one of only two realistically possible political parties goes completely ape-poo poo insane, starts openly supporting white supremacist/nazi organizations and wants to force it's citizenry into bankruptcy, or death, or bankruptcy and then death to give a few more points to it's donor class stock portfolios.

Yeah, liberals want us to live in some fruity paradise where all people are born as equals and supported throughout their lives to reach their fullest potential, and conservatives want to exterminate vast swathes of humanity and regress society back to religious tribal warfare. The most grating thing about that article is how it dryly it states the facts.

Nice Polite Republicans posted:

In other words, for as much as people seem to lament inertia in Washington, part of it is because of public opinion.

No loving poo poo, one side wishes they could debate whether we should raise taxes on the richest Americans by 3% or 5% to pay for poor people to go to college, and the other wishes they could debate if they can put welfare recipients in labor camps or death camps.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I don't know how Republicans like themselves since they have the political and moral views of cheesy '80s bad guys.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
My fellow Americans, let me be clear: Breathing, is good. Everyone should breathe. We are coming together, as a country, in a bipartisan effort to breathe together. I invite all my Republican friends to breathe with me.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Rigel posted:

3rd amendment is not really confusing, though. Its useless, but we're not confused about its meaning.
Hey, there was a guy who tried to bring a 3A case to the SCOTUS last year, or maybe the year before!

they rejected specifically the 3A parts of the claim lolol

(SWAT team occupied his apartment as a sniper position for the apartment across the way they wanted to raid or something)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Hey, there was a guy who tried to bring a 3A case to the SCOTUS last year, or maybe the year before!

they rejected specifically the 3A parts of the claim lolol

(SWAT team occupied his apartment as a sniper position for the apartment across the way they wanted to raid or something)

He actually had a pretty plausible argument.

Modern law enforcement is basically a city militia, which is (constitutionally, especially in the Five Clarences Thomas Alternate Universe) basically military, therefore 3A applies.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe
Colombia lost against paraguay and is now not going to the world cup

hillary clinton lost the election

brexit won

my mind is controlling the world

anything i want to happen does not happen.

I need to stop wanting good things and want only bad things to happen.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Jesus christ.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Long thread but holy poo poo this is depressing to think about :

https://twitter.com/aslavitt/status/916069859066286081

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Gill (Salt Lake DA) added in a statement: “Officer Fox reasonably believed deadly force was necessary to prevent death or serious bodily injury to himself and/or others and therefore his use of deadly force was ‘justified’.”

https://twitter.com/muslimiq/status/916012272883027971

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Oh this is fine. Actively sabotaging the US healthcare system to ruin it and make it look bad without actually passing their healthcare bill. I'm sure nothing bad will come of that.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

DC Murderverse posted:

Oh this is fine. Actively sabotaging the US healthcare system to ruin it and make it look bad without actually passing their healthcare bill. I'm sure nothing bad will come of that.

Hopefully a bunch of boomers closer to the cold embrace of death.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

DC Murderverse posted:

As long as their police forces continue to murder enough citizens pour encourager les autres nothing bad will come for them or their oligarch friends

Can always move more people into prison labor after all

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I'm not convinced they have the capability or foresight to plan something so subtle and intricate and if they do they'll probably botch it.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 6, 2017

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm not convinced they have the capability or foresight to plan something so subtle and intricate and if they do they'll probably botch it.

Given how quickly they snapped into pushing G-C it seems smarter to act as if this is more possible than not.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

From the beginning G-C always seemed like a last second hail mary and never really had a good shot to succeed. We got our 3 solid Nos not long into it while a few more loose Nos were floating around in the background as well.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

A reminder, you can still be arrested for parody on twitter:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/10/miami-beach-cops-arrest-man-for-twitter-parody-of-police-spokesman/

quote:

A Miami Beach man is facing criminal charges after he created a parody account purporting to be Ernesto Rodriguez, a spokesman for the Miami Beach Police Department. The defendant, Ernesto Orsetti, is charged with impersonating a law enforcement officer, a third-degree felony, according to a press release posted by the Miami New Times.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They're definitely capable of planning it.

They're even more capable of loving it up, and as long as the opposition knows what they're doing it'll be a lot harder to get it done. The executive order part will definitely happen, but whether they get the tax reform bill through with it all is a whole nother story.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

The Miami account seems to be stretching use of the word "parody" from the story it seems like he was just impersonating the police officer and trying to make him look bad. (Unless I missed something, I just glanced at it.)

This story linked in that article is much more troubling as the account was apparently labeled as a parody account.
http://www.pjstar.com/article/20140416/NEWS/140419123

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So - I've been drunk-watching WWII in Color on Netflix - worth a watch - like any good historical text/documentary, politics is heavily involved.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Spacebump posted:

The Miami account seems to be stretching use of the word "parody" from the story it seems like he was just impersonating the police officer and trying to make him look bad. (Unless I missed something, I just glanced at it.)

This story linked in that article is much more troubling as the account was apparently labeled as a parody account.
http://www.pjstar.com/article/20140416/NEWS/140419123

Well going to the Miami Herald article, apparently the spokesperson has known for months that it was parody:

quote:

A few months ago, Miami Beach Police Spokesperson Ernesto Rodriguez joked over the phone with a New Times reporter that someone had made a parody Twitter account pretending to be him. At the time, the page seemed like a gag.
"They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery," Rodriguez wrote. "Just shows the amount of 'free' time folks have." Rodriguez noted in a second tweet that the account was "generating some great laughs,"

The most the cops claim he did was harm the police department's brand:

quote:

"The behavior here was outrageous," MBPD Chief Dan Oates said in an afternoon news release. "It threatened to damage the reputation of our superb Public Information Officer, as well as the Miami Beach Police Department brand. We simply can’t tolerate such an impersonation, and I am glad Mr. Orsetti will now be held accountable.”

If they can't actually claim anything specific and the cops clearly knew it was parody this is complete bullshit. And certainly not felony impersonating an officer.

But he's still arrested.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Boon posted:

So - I've been drunk-watching WWII in Color on Netflix - worth a watch - like any good historical text/documentary, politics is heavily involved.

I've also been drinking watching historical documentaries for context.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BrandorKP posted:

I've also been drinking watching historical documentaries for context.

I've been doing half of what you mention here.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Apparently the Salt Lake City DA called this a good shoot back in August due to reports from the cops that Harmon turned on them with a knife. Admittedly the video is a little shaky but I don't see a knife and it looks like Harmon turns only after being shot. Oh well, just another American dead due to senseless gun violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/916046194664771584

bernie fighting the good fight once again!

• Locked thread