Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Elyv posted:

this is the silliest thing about 93/94, they are so goddamn elitist

Actually I think you'll find that the exclusion of Fallen Empires is completely legitimate because while the set was printed and released in 1994 it was actually *FART NOISES*

Furthermore your proxy Black Lotus with an actual Magic: the Gathering card back is not legal but this $300 Black Lotus with a completely different card back and square corners which are very easily marked is and this is completely consistent reasoning and in no way due to the fact that I had a giant stash of these cards that nobody wanted.

Additionally your pleb revised duals make me sick, you lowly peasant. You should be happy we've deigned to allow the white-bordered filth that is unlimited.

AND NO FOREIGNERS

Signed,

A reasonable human being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I am old enough to remember the Orb actually getting maindecked a lot and it was crazy stupid to have to metagame around how far apart you placed cards in play. Kind of funny that the cards effacacy depended on if you were playing it at moms big dining room table or cramped 8 to a foldout in some dank gaming store.

The ruling at the time was that if you had a stack of lands (like most people do) it took out every land that would be under it in the stack.

IMy friend and I actually perfected a flick-dropping technique that was really accurate.

My favorite was the extremely meta deck with velcro sleeves and table, played next to a powerful oscillating fan.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Marketing New Brain posted:

My favorite was the extremely meta deck with velcro sleeves and table, played next to a powerful oscillating fan.

I want this to be real so bad. It's like a Mario Party minigame!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

suicidesteve posted:

Actually I think you'll find that the exclusion of Fallen Empires is completely legitimate because while the set was printed and released in 1994 it was actually *FART NOISES*

Furthermore your proxy Black Lotus with an actual Magic: the Gathering card back is not legal but this $300 Black Lotus with a completely different card back and square corners which are very easily marked is and this is completely consistent reasoning and in no way due to the fact that I had a giant stash of these cards that nobody wanted.

Additionally your pleb revised duals make me sick, you lowly peasant. You should be happy we've deigned to allow the white-bordered filth that is unlimited.

AND NO FOREIGNERS

Signed,

A reasonable human being.

Remember when people made up a format so they could make use of all their Contract From Belows?

Remember when the 2001 Invitational was decided in a match of this dumb format because Kai Budde Tinkered for a Jeweled Bird in a game he was losing anyway?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

Remember when people made up a format so they could make use of all their Contract From Belows?

Remember when the 2001 Invitational was decided in a match of this dumb format because Kai Budde Tinkered for a Jeweled Bird in a game he was losing anyway?

I remember the latter. I can't say I remember what the format even was, never mind who made it or why.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Just gonna leave this right here since I know we all love judge chat.

Inside: CFB's new judge contacting agency is screwing judges harder. Hope you have a lawyer and a CPA on retainer to judge events!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Mikujin posted:

Inside: CFB's new judge contacting agency is screwing judges harder. Hope you have a lawyer and a CPA on retainer to judge events!

Even better, it's a contract written under Belgian contract law, so you need a Belgian attourney for a US event hosted by a US company!

:suicide:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

CFB responds: "We've been eating poo poo since the news broke, so I guess we better do something."

Did Trick recently take a position at CFB or something? 'Cause the "Bad plan? Here's our slightly less bad plan!" strategy is a page straight out of WOTC's playbook.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

im gonna find a local 93/94 play group and show up with my thrull breeding pool deck and wearing a scarf. i cant wait.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I'm about to jump into Standard as the Standard Showdowns as well as my local PPTQs are approaching soon. I'll use the first few Saturdays to scout my local meta with whatever jank deck I can cobble together but I assume I'll soon have to make a decision for a meta deck if I want to get anywhere.

I could see myself moving from Standard to Modern in a rotation or two (limited/Standard is fine for the time being, I'm still very much a noob at Magic), so my question is: do any of the current meta decks contain cards which are also played in Modern? Wondering about both price stability and potential future use.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Mikujin posted:

CFB responds: "We've been eating poo poo since the news broke, so I guess we better do something."

Did Trick recently take a position at CFB or something? 'Cause the "Bad plan? Here's our slightly less bad plan!" strategy is a page straight out of WOTC's playbook.

lol i know poo poo was going to go down now that one company has a monopoly on GPs but this seems excessively dumb

judges barely make enough to recoup travel expensive and you're going to make them pay a huge cost out of pocket for the privilege of essentially being a volunteer?

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

rabidsquid posted:

im gonna find a local 93/94 play group and show up with my thrull breeding pool deck and wearing a scarf. i cant wait.

We're having a local 93/94 tournament by my place, and a Chaos Orb is the top prize ... it's a free tournament but the Chaos Orb is beat to hell and altered by Tedin to cover all of the text. It's interesting.

Also on power level creep, I remember Erhnam-geddon being the huge monster. When they reprinted Ernie in 7th or 8th, it was so bad it was laughable.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
93/94 is cool but Revised not being allowed is laughable. It was even released in 94?!

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Oh hey, world champs is on twitch. Any favorites?

En Fuego posted:

We're having a local 93/94 tournament by my place, and a Chaos Orb is the top prize ... it's a free tournament but the Chaos Orb is beat to hell and altered by Tedin to cover all of the text. It's interesting.

Also on power level creep, I remember Erhnam-geddon being the huge monster. When they reprinted Ernie in 7th or 8th, it was so bad it was laughable.

I remember blastoderm/sap burst+geddon being a solid deck way way back.

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 6, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Mikujin posted:

I feel like a single gp not being able to fire due judges growing a backbone would be all that is needed to figure this poo poo out. But no, judges are loving idiots.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

funmanguy posted:

Oh hey, world champs is on twitch. Any favorites?

Going to say not Juza after he hooked himself really badly into red during that draft

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

had an opponent on xmage vent that he didn't like bogles because it was "uninteractive", then proceeded to infinite combo for five minutes

I may have found a deck I really really like

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Omar al-Bishie posted:

had an opponent on xmage vent that he didn't like bogles because it was "uninteractive", then proceeded to infinite combo for five minutes

I may have found a deck I really really like

There is a decklist that I am having great results with even at a competitive level. Deck is probably better than it's ever been at the moment.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

There is a decklist that I am having great results with even at a competitive level. Deck is probably better than it's ever been at the moment.

Clearly you didn't play bogles during the few months that treasure cruise-delver was a thing, that was the entire reason I built bogles when I did.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

I could see myself moving from Standard to Modern in a rotation or two (limited/Standard is fine for the time being, I'm still very much a noob at Magic), so my question is: do any of the current meta decks contain cards which are also played in Modern? Wondering about both price stability and potential future use.

hard to say, since the format hasn't really shook out much yet. Chandra, ToD and Fatal Push are the only sure bets at the moment. Walking Ballista is also popular but it's current value is definitely being propped up by standard demand.

generally very few cards make it into eternal formats, and the ones that do usually aren't the low-supply chase mythics. Rares/uncommons need to see a huge amount of demand before they go over a buck or two.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

I feel like a single gp not being able to fire due judges growing a backbone would be all that is needed to figure this poo poo out. But no, judges are loving idiots.

I don't judge GPs anymore because the pay isn't worth the physical and mental toll it takes on me. That means it's much harder for me to meet other judges and get votes for the Exemplar judge promos.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Sickening posted:

would you be interested in sharing it or is it a ~top secret decklist~?

I just got whooped by a deck with Liliana making me sac creatures and discard constantly, so maybe it has downsides I wasn't aware of. I feel like with so few creatures and so many auras in the deck it's almost impossible to draw creatures when you need them to put the auras on.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Decks running LotV (Jund, Junk etc.) are a terrible matchup for Bogles for exactly the reason you stated. The reason Bogles is on the upswing is because that style of BGx goodstuff deck is on the downswing (especially Jund).

Some Bogles decks run or used to run a single Dryad Arbor to put into play at instant speed with a fetchland in response to a Lili -2 activation. There's also the white Caratouche from AKH that generates a 1/1 token creature when it comes into play.

E: if you want some new Bogles tech I've seen a couple of lists running blue instead of green for countermagic, unblockable guys/auras and Unstable Mutation(!)

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 6, 2017

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

ooooooh that explains why there were some in the decklist I largely copied from. I'll add them to my sideboard so I'm less hosed

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Omar al-Bishie posted:

would you be interested in sharing it or is it a ~top secret decklist~?

I just got whooped by a deck with Liliana making me sac creatures and discard constantly, so maybe it has downsides I wasn't aware of. I feel like with so few creatures and so many auras in the deck it's almost impossible to draw creatures when you need them to put the auras on.

Nothing top secret, just maindeck leylines. So much of the meta hates to see a leyline of sanctity that its basically justifies maindeck.

https://deckstats.net/decks/23410/586948-bogles/en

The only touch matchups are decks that play bridge, chalice on one, or cascades into something. Counters company can also be a bad matchup if they pack more than normal enchantment/artifact hate, otherwise is pretty down the middle. Honestly games 2/3 against eldrazi tron feel like are in my favor and have gone in my favor for the past few months.

The reason to play the deck is how badly it shits on g/b/x , Valakut, affinity, dredge, burn, and about anything else creature based.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

I've always said if I find a sanctioned event I'm going to get the ugliest foreign, new border, new art foils of every cards I can.

Because all of those things are also not legal. This is a reasonable format made by reasonable people.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
lsv currently on stream advocating drafting a 3-color aggro deck with 16 lands zero fixing lolol

also kibler is in the chat making GBS threads on him

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

little munchkin posted:

lsv currently on stream advocating drafting a 3-color aggro deck with 16 lands zero fixing lolol

I think LSV cam get away with that kind of poo poo while the cretin at your FNM that you want to lock in a dumpster can't.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Star Man posted:

I think LSV cam get away with that kind of poo poo while the cretin at your FNM that you want to lock in a dumpster can't.

Yeah, that will work for LSV way more often than usual, though still not *often*.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Star Man posted:

tzirean posted:

Yeah, that will work for LSV way more often than usual, though still not *often*.

no it's a genuinely bad idea and no amount of skill will make it more likely that you cast a RR spell off of 5 basic mountains

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

little munchkin posted:

Kibler doing the making GBS threads on is new.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

little munchkin posted:

no it's a genuinely bad idea and no amount of skill will make it more likely that you cast a RR spell off of 5 basic mountains

You're right, but if LSV wants to play like an idiot in a draft league in a stream where you can see his big Pro Tour check is visible in the background, I think he can get away with it.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

I can't decide at all on my second deck I want to build. I'm torn between green stompy, bogles, and burn. choosing things when you're broke is difficult.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Count Bleck posted:

Kibler doing the making GBS threads on is new.

I think it's cool he's in the twitch chat. I hope more Hearthstone streamers get into Magic.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Omar al-Bishie posted:

I can't decide at all on my second deck I want to build. I'm torn between green stompy, bogles, and burn. choosing things when you're broke is difficult.

Bogles if you like brain dead slot machines that win or lose with almost no outside influence.

Burn if you like tight play and learning to count to 18 as fast as possible (20 in very few matches)

Stompy if you're interested in going 2-2 at Fnm

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Attorney at Funk posted:

I think it's cool he's in the twitch chat. I hope more Hearthstone streamers get into Magic.

I hate you.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Madmarker posted:

Bogles if you like brain dead slot machines that win or lose with almost no outside influence.

Burn if you like tight play and learning to count to 18 as fast as possible (20 in very few matches)

Stompy if you're interested in going 2-2 at Fnm

stompy sounds like exactly what I'm looking for considering my white humans deck (that I feel like I can't shut up about, my bad) is getting absolutely loving run into the ground at FNM despite wrecking face in more casual settings

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey I aint gonna yuck your yum......if thats what your into go at it. (Unless it is commander or munchkin than your yum is objectively wrong) Have fun hitting people with a +6/+6 from aspect of the hydra......it is sweet

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Build Mill (don't actually do this)

If you're broke then Stompy is honestly a decent choice because that deck is less than $100. If you want to be more competitive then I think a version of Gifts Storm without the fetch lands is still viable and only costs $250 or so. But then you live in constant fear of Wizards banning yet another Storm piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't judge GPs anymore because the pay isn't worth the physical and mental toll it takes on me. That means it's much harder for me to meet other judges and get votes for the Exemplar judge promos.

Lol what a stupid racket. I have to assume judges get screwed moving these for actual compensation too.