Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

FELD1 posted:

Until that post, I legit thought the Warriors were from Oregon. No idea why.

You were thinking of the Trail Blazers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

FELD1 posted:

Until that post, I legit thought the Warriors were from Oregon. No idea why.

We wish.

40 years since their last championship. :(

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Not me, per se, but I just had a fight with someone over the song, "You Can't Hurry Love".

They insisted that it was either a Phil Collins original (nope) or "maybe a cover of some early 50s boy group."

Bitch, it was The Supremes!

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Ugh that Phil Collins version is a travesty.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Jamie Bamber - Lee "the old man's son" Adama - is British. I've seen the entirety of BSG and played the board game many times with my friends, but I would have never guessed he was English until I read it online. He is really good at mimicking an American accent.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
How the song D'yer Mak'er is actually pronounced

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

He is really good at mimicking an American accent.
:ssh: it's not that hard to mimick

e:

hawowanlawow posted:

you're the worst
:nallears:

Elizabethan Error has a new favorite as of 22:13 on Sep 29, 2017

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Elizabethan Error posted:

:ssh: it's not that hard to mimick

you're the worst

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

As Stand names go, I've seen worse, even though they're not terribly imaginative.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MiJTxlEdtQ

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

hawowanlawow posted:

you're the worst

It actually is one of the easier ones, but I think that's less a reflection on the relative ease or difficulty of mimicking it and more a reflection on the fact that American film and TV has so permeated basically every (at least English speaking) culture to the point that it's probably the most common one to hear, outside of whatever the accent of the country in question is.

Fun related story, when my parents were living and teaching in Japan in the '90s, they had to teach English with American accents, because the students wanted to learn to speak with an American accent, rather than any other kind. English accents came in at a second.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Jamie Bamber - Lee "the old man's son" Adama - is British. I've seen the entirety of BSG and played the board game many times with my friends, but I would have never guessed he was English until I read it online. He is really good at mimicking an American accent.
Yeah, I learned this from his appearance on a celebrity poker show.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Not inferred but observed, housekeeping observation - my baking tray is getting fairly hard to clean because the brand of scourers I prefer has stopped being sold anywhere, so I've had to switch to shittier ones that works less well. However, I had a really greasy meal tonight, burgers cooked in the oven, and it appears the large amount of grease has helped get it cleaner than it was before - a good amount of burnt on stuff has now gone toward one end of the tray, that parts almost gone downright silver again. I think tomorrow when I do the other pair, I'll put them on the dirtier side and see if it happens again, if it does actually ironically help cut through the older burnt food.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Whaaat, I know Jamie Bamber from Law and Order UK, around 2010. It was as awful as a British Law and Order might sound, starred multi-talented UK superstar Bradley Walsh (no sarcasm I love him). Jamie Bamber was in it for ages as Best Friend Matty until he got shot dead by a London gang.

Apparently he's actually quite a successful actor post BSG and Law and Order - he was in NCIS, The Smoke, Marcella, and Fearless. I haven''t seen any of them but good for him!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Korean red pepper powder is a good substitute for paprika (at least, the version I have anyway... it's not terribly hot at all).

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Mister Facetious posted:

Korean red pepper powder... it's not terribly hot at all).

for sure don't tell koreans this

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This image blew my mind.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

MisterBibs posted:

This image blew my mind.

Actually that image is incorrect.

it's the same typeface, not font

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The :quagmire: smilie is the head and neck of Quagmire from Family Guy, not a Mr. Potato head with two red shoes and no arms, a big moustache, and goatee.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Cuntellectual posted:

The :quagmire: smilie is the head and neck of Quagmire from Family Guy, not a Mr. Potato head with two red shoes and no arms, a big moustache, and goatee.

I legitimately wish it was that now

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

someone awful. posted:

I legitimately wish it was that now

it is

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ladron posted:

for sure don't tell koreans this

Explain

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Every group thinks they have the hottest food. See also: best values, can drink most, most good at sex, makes best/most authentic food, etc.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

JoelJoel posted:

Every group thinks they have the hottest food. See also: best values, can drink most, most good at sex, makes best/most authentic food, etc.

Don't forget most skilled at driving.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Just found out that MASH was set during the Korean War. I spent my entire life thinking it was the Vietnam War. I never watched much MASH, but this still a "wait, whaaat?" kind of moment.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
watch more MASH. watch all MASH

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

fishing with the fam posted:

Just found out that MASH was set during the Korean War. I spent my entire life thinking it was the Vietnam War. I never watched much MASH, but this still a "wait, whaaat?" kind of moment.

you're half right, it was ostensibly set in Korea but was actually about the Vietnam war

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
And the show lasted longer than the actual war.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
And the movie came first.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And the book was before that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Potato.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

JoelJoel posted:

And if they don't think they're the best, invariably they claim to be the worst.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Ferrule posted:

And the show lasted longer than the actual war.

dont tell the Koreans that (because it's wrong, the war is ongoing)

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

JoelJoel posted:

Every group thinks they have the hottest food.

Southern India has the hottest food.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

poly and open-minded posted:

dont tell the Koreans that (because it's wrong, the war is ongoing)

Fine, if you want to split hairs: the show lasted longer than the period between the commencement of hostilities and the truce & creation of the demilitarised zone.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My dad was born before Disneyland opened.
I just pieced this together this morning.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
The song Mr. Burns sings, "Like my Vest" is a takeoff of the Beauty and the Beast song "Be my Guest".

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The etymology of the word "Trump" or to trump something, comes from grecco roman wrestling, when you're TRansitioning to the RUMP position. Took me a while to peace that together haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Leavemywife posted:

The song Mr. Burns sings, "Like my Vest" is a takeoff of the Beauty and the Beast song "Be my Guest".

I just realized I probably have never seen the film :prepop:

e: The last Disney feature film I remember seeing is The Great Mouse Detective.