Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

MisterBibs posted:

I may just be a little face-blind, but the VR girlfriend and the giant pink-skinned blue-haired hologram were the same actress, right?

e: oh, and a original-BR question: Was Decker specifically called into the events of the first film, like Blind Guy said?

Yes and yes he was in retirement and they brought him in to handle the 4 replicants

also, the entire movie I thought that was Jenna Coleman but it wasn't :v:

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Class Warcraft posted:

I somehow talked myself into seeing the blade runner double feature. Time to see if I'm up for 5 hours of straight blade running

Welp the theater hosed up the reel for Blade Runner 2049 so instead of a double feature we just watched the original and then got an IMAX voucher for the new one. Still happy because the original on a huge screen with an incredible sound system fuckin' owns.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Holy mother fucker I can't remember the last time I saw experienced a film like that. I need to process it before I write something in depth. I guess the gist of what I would say to anyone who hasn't seen it yet is that it is truly epic but didn't seem like it was trying to be, which is what I was worried about last night.

I don't really want to compare it to the original, because it seems way more like a continuation, an evolution if you will, of the type of storytelling in the original. There was maybe one scene that I found to be a little awkward, but it was also one that had a lot of symbolism that I just need to think about before I dismiss it -- (big time spoiler don't read if you haven't seen it) -- the scene where they bring in Rachel and then execute her -- Seemed a bit stupid on a superficial level, but if you think a few layers deep it works.

Overall it's a much watch for fans of the original, fans who hated the original, millenial trash who were bored by the original, and people who JO to the visuals of the original, and basically everyone else as well.

9.5/10 with an extra 0.5 thrown in because of the nostalgic 80's-film-level amount of boobs

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

Muffin Rhino posted:

I only had one question coming out of this movie...

So unless I'm mistaken, K discovers the DNA matches both a female and a male. the female is bubble girl? who is the male? ugh :psyduck:

Pretty sure the male was him? But he was just a clone/replacement or something of Rachel's spawn, not really the ~special replicant~ that he was looking for initially.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Dennis Villanueve really succeeded at breathing a very personal and human story into a cold and lifeless world which is a fascinating accomplishment for this story and world. That's really what he excels at, but he also went above and beyond everything Ridley Scott achieved in the first. Can't get over how great a director he is. Someone on Youtube said that we're witnessing our generations Spielberg, Kubrick, etc, blossoming and I wholeheartedly agree. There's a small group of really fantastic directors making big movies like this and he's making a strong case for being the best of the best in this generation (Nolan, Fincher, and a few others are up there as well).

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 6, 2017

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Muffin Rhino posted:

So unless I'm mistaken, K discovers the DNA matches both a female and a male. the female is bubble girl? who is the male? ugh :psyduck:

The male was a fake database entry

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Man, the visuals and music fit Blade Runner perfectly. The acting was great and the story was bittersweet and even fit in as a sequel perfectly. They even hinted even harder at Deckard being a replicant without saying so. If you liked the first film and you don't like this, I doubt any sequel would have done. I was very skeptical and I can't wait to see this again.

Edit: I also love the fact that nothing happens to Wallace because come on, nothing probably would

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 6, 2017

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Paragon8 posted:

For me what resonated was K realising how empty his one real relationship with JOI was when he realises how scripted she is from the pink advertisement after finding out he isn't the chosen one. Him choosing to act and "become" human after that really completes the arc.

Completely agree. It was the culmination of his experience and the choice he made was what defined him. And I'm glad he didn't actually execute Deckard. He basically was like, "gently caress that, I'm going to save this guy and let him meet his daughter and everybody else can go gently caress themselves." And it ultimately came down to the fact that it was only after that little stroll and seeing the giant hologram, at that point he could identify with Deckard and realized that killing him would just make things worse overall. It was the wrong thing to do.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well here's a surprise: it was better than the original :staredog:

I honestly believe it was one of the best looking movies I've ever seen in my life. Its color grading, lighting, framing, etc. deserve to be studied by film students for generations to come. I saw it in IMAX which made it even better.

I know it was a nearly 3-hour-long movie but I already want to see it again. I read some reviews that said the length was detrimental here but I felt the exact opposite.

I'm loving buying this thing on Blu-Ray the day it comes out (even though I almost never buy movies on Blu-Ray anymore) and I'm using various stills from it as desktop wallpapers for the rest of my life.

Muffin Rhino posted:

There were 2 DNA matches but one was real and one was just a copy to fake out the system. Bubble memory-creating scientist girl is the female (the real one) and K is the copy. He thought he was the real one until the resistance group convinced him he wasn't.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 6, 2017

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I thought it was a beautiful film. The only issue I had was that it kept the pacing of the first, but told a "longer" story, creating fatigue at the two hour mark. It almost needed an old-time intermission to break and relax for a bit, since the whole film was taking in so much visual/auditory input with so many scenes held for so long.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Wow. Did not disappoint, was not a standard movie story, thankfully. 4/4

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
It feels like every frame has something thoughtful or unique and the film isn't afraid to linger on those things to give you time to take them in. This was a loving great movie that was restrained in all the right ways. It's long and it feels that way but that isn't a bad thing. I came out of it feeling like I'd just spent a day in an art museum.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 6, 2017

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

warez posted:

Pretty sure the male was him? But he was just a clone/replacement or something of Rachel's spawn, not really the ~special replicant~ that he was looking for initially.

It's definitely left open ended enough that you could argue that K might be the long lost twin and thus Deckard and Rachel's son. Only problem with that is that the DNA was identical, so that would mean that they should be identical twins, and thus, both girls, yet one was clearly labeled male. So who the hell knows...

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Danger posted:

The male was a fake database entry

That's certainly what you should assume based on what Deckard says, but he by no means explicitly states that they did this.

I don't think what -- did they seriously name a character after a DBZ villain -- Frieza states either? But it was hard to make out some of what she said. Pretty generic stuff though and no specifics.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Paragon8 posted:

For me what resonated was K realising how empty his one real relationship with JOI was when he realises how scripted she is from the pink advertisement after finding out he isn't the chosen one.

I'm not so sure I agree. K's relationship with JOI felt lived-in and familiar. Her shifting from Diner Chick to lazy-ponytailed Girlfriend to Whatever felt like it spoke to a decent amount of time of K and JOI building something like an actual relationship, as much as a hologram and a low-affect replicant can be. The pink advertisement JOI was a baseline gotta-act-sexy-at-all-times depiction, with no nuance or personality.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 6, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm glad to see that Villenueve's instinct for the hellworld is back at the fore. Some of the landscapes in this are actually scary to look at, the looming megaliths, especially.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

BarronsArtGallery posted:

It's definitely left open ended enough that you could argue that K might be the long lost twin and thus Deckard and Rachel's son. Only problem with that is that the DNA was identical, so that would mean that they should be identical twins, and thus, both girls, yet one was clearly labeled male. So who the hell knows...

It was a hand-wavey fudge required since K's fake memory needed for the twist/fakeout doesn't make any sense.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Ratios and Tendency posted:

It was a hand-wavey fudge required since K's fake memory needed for the twist/fakeout doesn't make any sense.

It feels more like an open-ended thing that was left intentionally vague so that people with aspergers can argue about it in the decades to come. In other words, a true spiritual successor to the original.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I can't believe they put out a new Mad Max and a new Blade Runner in the last couple years and they both fuckin owned. Now we need an adaptation of 3001.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Nail Rat posted:

I can't believe they put out a new Mad Max and a new Blade Runner in the last couple years and they both fuckin owned. Now we need an adaptation of 3001.
Yeah what the hell? Like it was totally beautiful and I loved it, but why did a big studio invest a big budget into a Blade Runner sequel in 2017 that somehow surpassed the original?

It's too good. We don't deserve it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah what the hell? Like it was totally beautiful and I loved it, but why did a big studio invest a big budget into a Blade Runner sequel in 2017 that somehow surpassed the original?

It's too good. We don't deserve it.
They probably saw it as a prestige picture or something like that.

I dunno I'm just glad we got a good movie out of it.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Wow that was a great film. Dennis Villanueve knows what the gently caress he is doing.

Saw it iMAX. Any reason to watch in 3d next?

gohmak fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 6, 2017

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

I saw it in 3D earlier and just got back from a dolby screening. 3D didn't seem to matter much.

Overall I liked it but I felt like 20 minutes could have been edited out without losing anything of value.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

I'm not so sure I agree. K's relationship with JOI felt lived-in and familiar. Her shifting from Diner Chick to lazy-ponytailed Girlfriend to Whatever felt like it spoke to a decent amount of time of K and JOI building something like an actual relationship, as much as a hologram and a low-affect replicant can be. The pink advertisement JOI was a baseline gotta-act-sexy-at-all-times depiction, with no nuance or personality.

Consider the text on the ad states that she tells you what you want to hear and does what you want her to do. K wanted to feel like he had an identity/soul. She is the voice that pushed him to believe the false memories could be real/his. She is just another piece of programming manipulating K, though she explicitly served his desires whereas his original programming served Letos and his memories served the child/rebels. In the end I think K realized she was just an appliance, but so was he so that kind of makes them kindred spirits.

Saw it in 3d. I feel like it actively detracted from things by making a dark movie even darker.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

If you don't see this in IMAX, assuming it's available to you of course, you're doing yourself a disservice. It's not even just the visuals either, the sound design puts you right in the middle of these landscapes. The city roars up as it's revealed and the scale of it never stops feeling overwhelming (in a good way), no matter how often it's shown.

Every gunshot, every impact in the fight scenes, is explosive. Between, well, every single movie he's done so far, Villneuve is the best of this generation for my money. He just does not miss.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

flashy_mcflash posted:

Every gunshot, every impact in the fight scenes, is explosive. Between, well, every single movie he's done so far, Villneuve is the best of this generation for my money. He just does not miss.
He literally has a flawless track record. Every single one of his movies I've seen over the past 5 years or so has been a home run.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Got some serious David Fincher vibes from this movie.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Just remembered the beautiful reveal of the Atari logo

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

Got some serious David Fincher vibes from this movie.

Explain? Fincher is the opposite of Villneuve to me: cold and calclated human stories in almost sterile environments that feel surreal. Villneuve creates warm and personal stories in sci fi settings.

That said, I would love a Fincher take on the Blade Runner world.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

Duckula posted:

Just remembered the beautiful reveal of the Atari logo

The number of logos on display for dead companies (or at least ones who have greatly diminished in cultural standing since their heyday) was interesting. I saw one for Pan Am too.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Neon Knight posted:

Consider the text on the ad states that she tells you what you want to hear and does what you want her to do. K wanted to feel like he had an identity/soul. She is the voice that pushed him to believe the false memories could be real/his. She is just another piece of programming manipulating K, though she explicitly served his desires whereas his original programming served Letos and his memories served the child/rebels. In the end I think K realized she was just an appliance, but so was he so that kind of makes them kindred spirits.
I agree with this, though I also got some mild Her vibes from the Joi/K relationship. In a sort of simpler echo of what K and other replicants have gone through, it seemed like Joi was becoming more unique and person-like in response to unique experiences. If replicants were something not quite human, then Joi was something not quite replicant. This felt like another iteration of artificial life being created for service, but which might inevitably develop consciousness as well. I don't think K's Joi truly did get there, but it felt like film suggested it was possible.

As for K's memory, I think there is still some ambiguity. Did the resistance or whatever direct her to plant that memory in him specifically, or was it something she put into just some random replicant herself? Speaking of Decard's daughter, was her compromised immune system real or just a fabrication they used to protect her?

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 6, 2017

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

Muffin Rhino posted:

The male is meant to be Detective "K" (Gosling). I think.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

PoopinClumpin posted:

The male is meant to be Detective "K" (Gosling). I think.
The male never existed. They fabricated the records. Her memory of the horse was put into a male replicant so that he would eventually follow the breadcrumbs and trigger the events of the film. Him thinking it was himself made K "depart from baseline" significantly, as his boss put it, which allowed him the independence to do what he did

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 6, 2017

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Did the resistance or whatever direct her to plant that memory in him specifically, or was it something she put into just some random replicant herself? Speaking of Decard's daughter, was her compromised immune system real or just a fabrication they used to protect her?

I have a strong feeling that we'll find out in Braid Runna 2055: The Revolution. Seriously though, I think she doesn't really have any immunodeficiency. It seems just convenient cover story that allows for an outside contractor of Wallace corp(?) to implant whatever necessary into each new generation of replicant to bring about a revolution. This is kindof supported by her reaction to seeing the memory, and how she responded to K about it. I fully expect the next film to bring a final end to the question of Deckard's humanity by introducing the idea of human/replicant interbreeding. Making his humanity status moot. I'll take bets on this.

PoopinClumpin fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 6, 2017

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

bawfuls posted:

The male never existed. They fabricated the records. Her memory of the horse was put into a male replicant so that he would eventually follow the breadcrumbs and trigger the events of the film. Him thinking it was himself made K "depart from baseline" significantly, as his boss put it, which allowed him the independence to do what he did

Hmm yeah that probably makes more sense.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Legitimately surprised how feminist this movie was. It wasn't a superficial "LOOKIT ME, I'M FOR LADIES" sort of feminist, either. They never ostentatiously called attention to it, but yeah: Maternity, birth and women of agency all up in this mother. Even the use of bees and the killing the replicant by stabbing her in the womb. Just a lot of lady stuff.

poo poo, pun.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

I didn't get any of that. It just felt like a natural progression thematically from the original Blade Runner. The fact that some of the female characters acted like normal real life people says more about the actresses than it does about any sort of feminist ideology. If anything the scene where the henchwoman kills Princess Buttercup after crushing her hand with glass demonstrates a solid argument for an egalitarian POV of the film than anything else.

PoopinClumpin fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Oct 6, 2017

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

PoopinClumpin posted:

I have a strong feeling that we'll find out in Braid Runna 2055: The Revolution. Seriously though, I think she doesn't really have any immunodeficiency. It seems just convenient cover story that allows for an outside contractor of Wallace corp(?) to implant whatever necessary into each new generation of replicant to bring about a revolution. This is kindof supported by her reaction to seeing the memory, and how she responded to K about it. I fully expect the next film to bring a final end to the question of Deckard's humanity by introducing the idea of human/replicant interbreeding. Making his humanity status moot. I'll take bets on this.
Probably true, though I also have to expect she doesn't know the true nature of her identity. This begs the question of her exact role in the memory placements. Does she know she's putting real memories in specifically for this long-term play? She of course recognized it and knows she's offering up some very personal memories, but is this something she feels compelled to do for her own reasons, and the people who put her there were counting on this?

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 6, 2017

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It's really, really hard to get people to write women like normal human beings. Additionally, the ability to give birth was considered the absolute key of humanity. That seems pretty feminist to me. And again, not screaming-in-your-face feminism, but normalizing it.

fake e: You added egalitarian. I consider equality feminist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Probably true, though I also have to expect she doesn't know the true nature of her identity. This begs the question of her exact role in the memory placements. Does she know she's putting real memories in specifically for this long-term play? Is it something she feels compelled to do, and the people who put her there were counting on this?

I think it depends on whether we ever find out if a replicant gestated child is human or not. That's why I feel so strongly that the only place left to go thematically is some sort of "singularity" where everyone finds out that replicants are not more human than human, but are just, straight human but with genetic engineered seemingly superhuman traits Really I'm hoping they don't go in that direction because it's not only obvious, but it tries to answer a question that isn't really answerable.

• Locked thread