Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Also merchants locked in cages. You're best off going to one of the websites where you put in which cards you have and it tells you exactly where to get the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Also merchants locked in cages. You're best off going to one of the websites where you put in which cards you have and it tells you exactly where to get the rest.

That doesn't help for the actual random ones, there it will just say "merchants" or somesuch.

jerry seinfel posted:

my friend's birthday is coming up

he's never played the witcher and thinks i'm full of poo poo about how good it is but he's a total loving nerd for the elder scrolls

should i just get him 3 + expansions or include 1/2 in there as well? my goal is for him to watch that 10th anniversary video and get hosed up

Does he have a history of liking older RPGs instead of being wowed by lovely open worlds? Then get him to play 1 first.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

jerry seinfel posted:

my friend's birthday is coming up

he's never played the witcher and thinks i'm full of poo poo about how good it is but he's a total loving nerd for the elder scrolls

should i just get him 3 + expansions or include 1/2 in there as well? my goal is for him to watch that 10th anniversary video and get hosed up

I hope you're in it for the long run considering Witcher 3 plus expansions take like an average of 150+ hours to finish.

I recommend starting 3 plus expansions, with a synopsis on 1 & 2, just because of how great 3 is compared to the others.

I was already rooting for the witcher because i played 2 a while back when it came out, but the first witcher contract in white orchard pretty much sold me on the entire game. After wading through so much lazy bullshit in games I couldn't believe a company put that much thought into one of their earliest quests.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I know this has been discussed a lot on the internet and with a bit of digging I could maybe find the correct answer, but it's been discussed so much with so little in the way of good resolutions that I thought it might be more economical to ask.

I just reinstalled for my third playthrough and am finding the voice volume is very low. I think it was probably always like this, I just never did anything about it. My understanding is it's something to do with 5.1 audio - it only puts voices through the middle speaker or something. Is there any good fix for this? Lowering the effects/music volume relative to voice doesn't really help since it's still coming through one speaker and sounds terrible.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Thanks folks, getting him to do 3, giving some description of the general background, then telling him to play the other games later sounds like the way to go.

i'm roping him into destiny already so i figure i can dominate all of his free time and ruin his marriage

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

GrossMurpel posted:

That doesn't help for the actual random ones, there it will just say "merchants" or somesuch.

And those ones are easy enough to get, there are a lot more merchants than random cards.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

And those ones are easy enough to get, there are a lot more merchants than random cards.

He obviously went through the game beating random shopkeepers whenever he felt like it, and now he has to find the ones he hasn't played yet. How are you not getting this?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

jerry seinfel posted:

i'm roping him into destiny already

Why the gently caress would you do that to somebody you don't hate

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Finished the main story this afternoon, made a start on HoS and exploring the north and east of Velen, I like the sudden jump in challenge again- found a golem who gave me more trouble than any of the wild hunt did through me being clumsy.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Oh god thread. I've started playing again.

I'm running on the GoTY version that appeared in my GOG client this time. Is it normal for the old options to switch off the alternative costumes etc to be absent in this version? I'm assuming they're off by default if that's the case. Just want to make sure I'm not missing the other extra DLC chunks.

Edit: Nevermind, didn't see the scrollbar on the gameplay options menu :downs:

Rev. Melchisedech Howler fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Sep 27, 2017

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Fargin Icehole posted:

I hope you're in it for the long run considering Witcher 3 plus expansions take like an average of 150+ hours to finish.

I recommend starting 3 plus expansions, with a synopsis on 1 & 2, just because of how great 3 is compared to the others.

I was already rooting for the witcher because i played 2 a while back when it came out, but the first witcher contract in white orchard pretty much sold me on the entire game. After wading through so much lazy bullshit in games I couldn't believe a company put that much thought into one of their earliest quests.

Witcher 1 in particular is just really rough these days. The technology hasn't aged well at all and the game looks like poo poo but it is the most "world builder-esque" of any of the games. If you want to truly understand the Witcher series, I don't think skipping Witcher 1 is an option.

I went back to play it before the launch of 3 and I would be hard pressed to recommend it as an entry point though. I don't know how people who never played Witcher games before though would like Witcher 3. So much of the story is grounded in characters that Witcher 1 and 2 painfully built up that its hard to say whether Wild Hunt is nearly as effective without having played those 2.

Just as a personal example, when I made it back to Kaer Morhen the first time and I went through the main entry door, it felt like home

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I just started 3 and I'm enjoying witching.

Am I missing out on much if I play it on story mode?

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
If you enjoy the combat, crank it up, even the harder difficulties don't present much of a challenge (DLC bosses and the first ~10 levels being an exception) once you get your head around the mechanics and builds.

If combat feels like an interruption, keep it on story mode.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
Patch yesterday for Witcher 3, looks like it's the 4k one for ps4 pro, no one knows if it's native or checkerboard.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

gently caress just finished HoS, that was good poo poo. Time for Blood and Wine

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

queeb posted:

gently caress just finished HoS, that was good poo poo. Time for Blood and Wine

Same here! I loved the weird ghost story vibe of HoS. What choice did you make at the end? I started BaW and loved how Geralt straight comments on how different Toussaint is. I'm kinda reluctant to play because then it'll all be over :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lucky for you Blood and Wine is loving massive outside of its main quest. There is a ton of stuff to do. Snort some shrooms and down some potions.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

MikeC posted:

Witcher 1 in particular is just really rough these days. The technology hasn't aged well at all and the game looks like poo poo but it is the most "world builder-esque" of any of the games. If you want to truly understand the Witcher series, I don't think skipping Witcher 1 is an option.

I went back to play it before the launch of 3 and I would be hard pressed to recommend it as an entry point though. I don't know how people who never played Witcher games before though would like Witcher 3. So much of the story is grounded in characters that Witcher 1 and 2 painfully built up that its hard to say whether Wild Hunt is nearly as effective without having played those 2.

Just as a personal example, when I made it back to Kaer Morhen the first time and I went through the main entry door, it felt like home

Witcher 3 was my entry to the series, and I definitely had to some Wikipedia deep-diving to get the context of some characters. Between my first and second playthrough I played Witcher 2, and although it felt like a massive step down in every way it was nice to get some additional context on characters and circumstances.

There are some advantages to starting with 3 and working backwards. I'll always be glad that my first exposure to Radovid is the chess club scene, for example.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I've completely forgotten how Yrden worked in W1 and 2, respectively?

I remember thinking how different it was when starting 3 and how I didn't really like it. Now it's a staple of every right pretty much (grandmaster griffin gear :getin: ).

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
It was more of an immobilising trap in the first games. Most useful sign in both 2 and 3.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't get why so many people keep saying W2 was a bad game (this doesn't refer to Shakezula's post specifically, it's just something I noticed), it was extremely well received in its day, and genuinely a good RPG AFAIK.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

It's not a bad game but did have some flaws. Tutorial out of order with some janky scene cuts, two mutually exclusive second acts and until patches a rather short third act, punishing and unpolished combat...

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
It's a bit of a chore sometimes. But I think it's more of how good W3 is.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I actually prefer the combat in two by far

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I think one had the best combat, but that's more of a preference thing, not a fan of darksoulsy action.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Avalerion posted:

It's not a bad game but did have some flaws. Tutorial out of order with some janky scene cuts, two mutually exclusive second acts and until patches a rather short third act, punishing and unpolished combat...

Do you mean the actual tutorial or the prolog? Cause the tutorial only got added after people kept bitching and moaning that combat is never explained properly cause they apparently didn't read the pop-up hints during the prolog. I'm still mad about that stupid poo poo.
The different second acts are bad now? It's basically one of the biggest YOUR CHOICES MATTER decisions I've ever seen and everyone I know praised it as such.

steinrokkan posted:

I don't get why so many people keep saying W2 was a bad game (this doesn't refer to Shakezula's post specifically, it's just something I noticed), it was extremely well received in its day, and genuinely a good RPG AFAIK.

It's the worst Witcher game, but only because the bar for quality is so high. A lot of people didn't like the focus on politics, IIRC.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

GrossMurpel posted:

Do you mean the actual tutorial or the prolog?

The bit where you get a bunch of options and the first one would have you wake up in camp and let you walk around and get used to the controls and such, but one of the options mentions a dragon so of course that's what everyone picks first instead and it throws you into a chase scene with combat and qte's that can lead to instadeath.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Avalerion posted:

The bit where you get a bunch of options and the first one would have you wake up in camp and let you walk around and get used to the controls and such, but one of the options mentions a dragon so of course that's what everyone picks first instead and it throws you into a chase scene with combat and qte's that can lead to instadeath.

Definitely not "everyone" :v:. Surely I can't be the crazy one for my first instinct being to go through the story Geralt tells chronologically.
And yeah I don't know what they were thinking with that QTE part. You can either have a sequence where you hold S and occasionally have to press another key to hide from the dragon, which is stupid, or you can have a sequence where you hold S and automatically take cover from the dragon, which is also stupid :wtc:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I think Witcher 2 was competing with Dragon Age 2, which came out earlier that year.

Compare those two side by side and you're comparing gold to a turd. Witcher 2 actually had choices that you picked that mattered and actually had different locales.

Thing is, I ended up playing Witcher 2 on the easiest difficulty and enjoying the story instead, because I was bad at the preparation and I enjoyed it much more.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 6, 2017

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Meh you don't really need all the preparation and stuff. The main thing you gotta learn is to roll away from all attacks until an opening presents itself, and you can do that regardless of difficulty. There's also the inverse difficulty curve present in most RPGs as you level up, so as I remember it, the Nekker cave in Chapter 1 was the hardest fight.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

GrossMurpel posted:

Meh you don't really need all the preparation and stuff. The main thing you gotta learn is to roll away from all attacks until an opening presents itself, and you can do that regardless of difficulty. There's also the inverse difficulty curve present in most RPGs as you level up, so as I remember it, the Nekker cave in Chapter 1 was the hardest fight.

Big example I can think of was me choosing not to make the kraken fight easy, and I think that's what did it for me. I was also bad at video games

Later on that year Dark Souls came out and after spending so much time gettin' buff on that game I think I know how to play Third person dark medieval ARPGs now

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the default witcher 2 roll a) doesn't start out with invincibility frames, 2) doesn't move you appreciably farther than walking, and III) exists in a game where backstabs are a thing, so thanks to a and 2 means if you attempt to roll away from enemies on the highest difficulty you'll be getting an instant kill sword shoved directly up geralt's butthole for the first half of the first act

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Fargin Icehole posted:

I think Witcher 2 was competing with Dragon Age 2, which came out earlier that year.

Compare those two side by side and you're comparing gold to a turd. Witcher 2 actually had choices that you picked that mattered and actually had different locales.

Thing is, I ended up playing Witcher 2 on the easiest difficulty and enjoying the story instead, because I was bad at the preparation and I enjoyed it much more.

Skyrim was filling an awful lot of fantasy RPG space that year too. Also it had difficult combat at a time before 'git gud'.

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah this is absolutely my recollection too. TW2 was extremely well received and was widely regarded as a hidden gem basically all the way until the hype train for Wild Hunt got going.

As much as I have a soft spot for the fantasy short-story plotting of TW1, the pivot to character-driven realpolitik (along with the consequential storytelling they retained) is pretty much what made the series stand out from every other RPG on the market and made people take notice of the series. I honestly can't remember anyone saying anything good about The Witcher 1 in comparison to Assassin of Kings until about a year after Wild Hunt came out and being a book hipster became a thing.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

the default witcher 2 roll a) doesn't start out with invincibility frames, 2) doesn't move you appreciably farther than walking, and III) exists in a game where backstabs are a thing, so thanks to a and 2 means if you attempt to roll away from enemies on the highest difficulty you'll be getting an instant kill sword shoved directly up geralt's butthole for the first half of the first act

This happened to me a lot too, though I have to say moments where I got greedy and got ganged up on stand out more in my mind. But I did say you gotta learn to roll away from attacks. As silly as this sounds to say for a story-focused RPG where you quickly become overpowered due to your skill tree; This isn't Dark Souls where you can just roll through attacks to attack enemies during their recovery animation. plus there's a lot more group fights so rolling into an attack wouldn't be a good idea even if you had i-frames. If in doubt, rollrollroll in circles until you can get a swing in on a separated enemy.

hampig posted:

I honestly can't remember anyone saying anything good about The Witcher 1 in comparison to Assassin of Kings until about a year after Wild Hunt came out and being a book hipster became a thing.

Well I mean, who did you talk to for those opinions? People who started with 2?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Avalerion posted:

two mutually exclusive second acts

Wait, are you saying this is a bad thing? That's one of the most remarkable parts of the scope of the game and the quality of the writing.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

Wait, are you saying this is a bad thing? That's one of the most remarkable parts of the scope of the game and the quality of the writing.

Don't see what splitting it like that added personally. Like, I think if you do Roche's path you never ever learn what was up with the dragon, and things like that?

None of this is to say it's a bad game, mind, I did enjoy it a lot (once I turned it down to very easy) despite the "complains" I bring up.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 6, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Avalerion posted:

Don't see what splitting it like that added personally. Like, I think if you do Roche's path you never ever learn what was up with the dragon, and things like that?

None of this is to say it's a bad game, mind, I did enjoy it a lot despite the "complains" I bring up.

Well, yeah, that's kinda the point of having a game that gives you options and makes you commit to their outcomes - that your experience and outlook on things actually change. Other games try to have their cake and eat it too when it comes to choice, and the result is always a shallow facade of choice that comes off as almost insulting to the player (looking at you, Telltale)

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
So you've never looked at a critical plot juncture and thought "what if that went differently? What if I, the protagonist, were allowed to choose my allies instead of having them assigned to me?"

That's the thing that the W2 did the most right in all of the things that were great about it. You could honestly choose either, and got two enormously different game experiences out of it. There were other less enormous junctures like that too. Pursuing Phillipa, sparing Letho, and several others that gave you totally different narrative interactions with the game and the story.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Can't say that's a thing I really care about. Illusion of choice is just fine for me as long as it feels right. In W2's case I've never actually done Roche's path because while cool, Roche is also a dick who blackmails Geralt, and I honestly don't actually care about the king killer, so I figure Geralt would ditch him for a cause he actually cares about the first moment he gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Roche provides the most direct route to his actual goal though.