Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The weirdest thing about Forces is that it was delayed a year from Sonic's 25th anniversary and yet that extra time doesn't seem apparent. It also feels like we've seen less of Forces than Generations by this point in their marketing. Almost as if they know how underwhelming it is. But maybe it's a side effect of releasing two games so close together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Pants Donkey posted:

The weirdest thing about Forces is that it was delayed a year from Sonic's 25th anniversary and yet that extra time doesn't seem apparent. It also feels like we've seen less of Forces than Generations by this point in their marketing. Almost as if they know how underwhelming it is. But maybe it's a side effect of releasing two games so close together.

Everything we've seen so far suggests that Forces hasn't had a whole lot of development time. I'm not sure what Sonic Team were working on since Lost World (or even Runners for that matter) but it probably wasn't what we're seeing now. Since Sonic Team is more of a brand than a dedicated team I guess it's possible that most people were tied up in other projects at Sega, but I think it's more likely that they had a separate Sonic game that they scrapped. A member of another forum (who apparently is considered a trustworthy source) had allegedly seen what they were working on back in about 2014 said they weren't making a Generations follow up or a Lost World follow up, which would support this.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pants Donkey posted:

You're presuming that it was originally scheduled to have been released on the 25th anniversary, but as far as I can tell, that's when they just started development.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
exclusive footage of sanic forces gameplay

https://youtu.be/hKdOtJ-mMfM

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Augus posted:

That's not Doomsday, that's the normal Final Boss theme.

The weird thing is until I checked just now, I would have sworn up and down the last boss of Sonic 3 was Doomsday. I wonder if I got it from a strategy guide or something, those things were always terrible about stuff like that.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

the original music was all remixes of songs SEGA don't actually hold the rights to so they had to change it extremely last minute

The real funny thing is that I could have sworn they haven't done a Sonic 3 port in awhile because they don't have rights to the music from it. :downs:

e: Of course this is the game that spawned the lawsuit that resulted in them trashing their own comic universe because they hosed up the documentation about who owned half the characters in it, so

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The weird thing is until I checked just now, I would have sworn up and down the last boss of Sonic 3 was Doomsday. I wonder if I got it from a strategy guide or something, those things were always terrible about stuff like that.

The real funny thing is that I could have sworn they haven't done a Sonic 3 port in awhile because they don't have rights to the music from it. :downs:

Certain songs from sonic 3 they don't really have the rights to. Carnival Night, Icecap, Launch Base, and the vanilla sonic 3 end credits music. Also the boss music I think.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

It's no Sonic Eraser music, that's for sure.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Certain songs from sonic 3 they don't really have the rights to. Carnival Night, Icecap, Launch Base, and the vanilla sonic 3 end credits music. Also the boss music I think.

The miniboss / original Knuckles theme too

The best I can surmise is that Sega didn't pay enough royalties to MJ's collaborators (Brad Buxer and Cirocco Jones) and they faced some sort of legal action back in 2012 or so; the last time the Sonic 3 half of the content got any type of release was the 2011 Steam release of S3&K. All of their Sega Genesis plug-n-play consoles conspicuously omit Sonic 3 but include Sonic & Knuckles. Whatever's holding them up hasn't caused them to pull it from Steam or the Wii Shop Channel (not that the latter would be a problem for much longer), but the PC Sonic & Knuckles Collection from 1997 scrubbed all the music in question and replaced them with different tracks.

You could jump to the conclusion that, as S&K Collection wasn't a straight port but was essentially a remake of the Genesis games for PC, there could be some bizarre contractual reason there compared to just dumping the ROM into classic collections, and that something similar might be the specific reason we never got the Sonic 3 iOS remake from Whitehead & co. But who knows but Sega, at this point

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

nerdbot posted:

The best I can surmise is that Sega didn't pay enough royalties to MJ's collaborators (Brad Buxer and Cirocco Jones) and they faced some sort of legal action back in 2012 or so; the last time the Sonic 3 half of the content got any type of release was the 2011 Steam release of S3&K. All of their Sega Genesis plug-n-play consoles conspicuously omit Sonic 3 but include Sonic & Knuckles. Whatever's holding them up hasn't caused them to pull it from Steam or the Wii Shop Channel (not that the latter would be a problem for much longer), but the PC Sonic & Knuckles Collection from 1997 scrubbed all the music in question and replaced them with different tracks.

You could jump to the conclusion that, as S&K Collection wasn't a straight port but was essentially a remake of the Genesis games for PC, there could be some bizarre contractual reason there compared to just dumping the ROM into classic collections, and that something similar might be the specific reason we never got the Sonic 3 iOS remake from Whitehead & co. But who knows but Sega, at this point

I think it's actually possible that Sonic fans trying to figure out MJ's involvement in S3's music caused said collaborators to realize that their work was being used uncredited or something to that effect when fans contacted them asking about it, causing the legal action.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Man imagine playing the game blind, getting to wherever this plays, and the slow realization of what this song is a remix of.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Elentor posted:

This is Earth radio, and now here's human music.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Death Egg should make me excited, and yet...

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

nerdbot posted:

The steam release of sonic 3 is basically just the sonic 3 Rom, their license probably allowed for infinite production of the unmodified product, but any modifications would require renegotiation.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Kurieg posted:

The steam release of sonic 3 is basically just the sonic 3 Rom, their license probably allowed for infinite production of the unmodified product, but any modifications would require renegotiation.

And lemme guess, modifying it includes "putting it onto a non-Genesis chipset"?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Stink Terios posted:

And yet you realise it's just another dumb nostalgia play. Hey, we just had a great nostalgia game and the Death Egg was pretty much the only thing it didn't bring back! Makes you think

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

widespread posted:

And lemme guess, modifying it includes "putting it onto a non-Genesis chipset"?

No, they can do that, if they redo the soundtrack and remove anything that has even the hint of jackson's fingerprint on it.

The problem is that since it's now pretty much an open secret why they'd have to do it, they're increasingly incentivized not to, because of the bad press it might bring.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

exactly how much of this game is gonna be recycled assets from Lost World and Generations?
seems like a lot

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Stink Terios posted:

I wonder if Metal Sonic is jealous of his kid brother.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Just to be clear, those songs aren't different over copyright. They're different because they use samples the midi nightmare engine couldn't reproduce.

Augus posted:

exactly how much of this game is gonna be recycled assets from Lost World and Generations?
seems like a lot
Bet you we'll see big chunks of city escape, speed highway and crisis city at the very least.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Owning Up: Sega Has Officially Apologized For Its Role In Supplying Nazi Soldiers With ‘Sonic The Hedgehog’ Games

quote:

Even after watchdog groups unearthed old Sega advertisements reading “Sonic The Hedgehog: The Aryan Choice For Leisure” and “Argentina won’t extradite, and neither will Sonic!” Sega still refused to publicly address its controversial connections.

We also apologize for our creation of the Dr. Robotnik character, who portrays what we now recognize to be offensive Jewish stereotypes.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Frankston posted:

That sonic movie, if it ever gets made, is going to be loving awful.

...unless they get Tom Hardy to play Robotnik.

It's weird the intro music isn't representative of the rest of the game at all. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARy1oZ1wfhs

sharrrk posted:

the sonic spinball options music is under my protection. no one is allowed to say anything bad about it

Here someone remixed it to be less grating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su2E9U9csu8

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Stink Terios posted:

They should've at least made it like the Return of the Jedi half-built Death Star.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

this is like what, the third, fourth time the Death Egg has been rebuilt?

Sonic 4
Sonic Battle
Sonic the Fighters...

MikeJF posted:

They should've at least made it like the Return of the Jedi half-built Death Star.

that's what they did in Sonic 4, with it still only being partially constructed around the Little Planet

Say what you will about Sonic 4 but it looks pretty cool.

Of course now that I've complimented a single aspect of that game, we can look forward to 4 pages of people saying how heinous doing so is.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 7, 2017

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Or at least turned whatever's left of the moon into Eggkiller Base.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but it weirds me out that Robotnik in Boom is in good shape but they still make fat jokes.

On that note, while reading about a female performer, a poster insulted her by saying she was 'robotnik from the neck down'. That is the harshest.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Of course now that I've complimented a single aspect of that game, we can look forward to 4 pages of people saying how heinous doing so is.
If you see patterns, maybe act on them.

Was the IDW Sonic stuff any good? I saw some news pop up but expected the thread would comment on it.

Or I missed it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

they're not doing the town hall until Sunday.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Kurieg posted:

Just for the sake of being needlessly pedantic, not "basically". It is just the Sonic 3 ROM running in a Genesis emulator wrapper.

i only point this out because it's a distinct style of port from Sonic CD, which is decidedly not an .iso running in a wrapper.

For the sake of contributing non-douchebaggery to the thread, I figured out today that Mania level speedruns are short enough to fit into a tweet. I'm amused by this.

https://twitter.com/Succinct_Punchy/status/916511006339330048

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
so sonic in froces wont be able to gain back in rings, what do you think about this bold change

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Im extremely good at video games, so i shan't be losing rings in the first place

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
truly this will be the dark souls of video games

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

If you lose rings you didn't want them enough and don't deserve them back. gently caress you

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

that's what they did in Sonic 4, with it still only being partially constructed around the Little Planet

Say what you will about Sonic 4 but it looks pretty cool.

I'll admit that's pretty rad.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I thought that was finished? It just had really big windows/forcefield.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Eggman turning the Little Planet into a Death Egg was cool and good IMHO

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Cool ideas wasted on a bad game :(

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What even made Little Planet special again? Just that the time stones were there? I don't get why it keeps being brought back lately in games, other than 'it's the sonic cd thing'

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It appears from nowhere once in a while and then disappears soon after and Eggman keeps putting metal shells on it. It's also a place where you can travel through time just by going fast enough, which is probably caused by the time stones. But mostly it's the Sonic CD thing.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

He conquered the planet, I feel like he ought to have two Death Eggs up there.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Huh, so this is a thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8ZIMMcbA3c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Game looks weird zoomed out.