Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Wiz posted:

Yep, I consider them largely fine as-is. Expanding on the ways to interact with them would be cool, but it's not a top priority or anything. Something to keep in mind for the future, though.

More galactic 'oh gently caress we're boned' moments would always be welcome. :unsmigghh:

Edit: was someone really bitching at Wiz about the difficulty they were facing from a modpack event?

Aleth fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Oct 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Aleth posted:

Edit: was someone really bitching at Wiz about the difficulty they were facing from a modpack event?

If you're referencing my post- no; the issue was with the vanilla precursor events that trigger if you don't naturally find 6/6 precursor bases. The solution above still didn't work for me :(

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Omniblivion posted:

If you're referencing my post- no; the issue was with the vanilla precursor events that trigger if you don't naturally find 6/6 precursor bases. The solution above still didn't work for me :(

No, OwlFancier's endgame thing.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Ah, gotcha.

On a side note- Whoops! Ended the game when I started steamrolling people:

I just took out the left side of the map and then the two Fallen Empires; apparently they colonized too many planets!

I also noticed that sectors actually colonize planets now- perhaps because they were all 100%? They were terraforming planets, too.

Super fast game- 134 years on normal sized with 2 FEs. Not too shabby!

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Something I note from Wiz's latest tweet:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/915984481286328321

There are a lot fewer ships than you'd expect in combat involving lances, and they're all quite far apart. Could we be seeing the long-awaited ship number rebalancing and - whisper it - formations?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I think it would be nice to have the game go a little further in reflecting the history of the empire you create. Like a list of five or six preset backstories like 'uplifted by alien speces', 'exiles from a space war', 'naturally evolved', 'stranded pre-FTL colony', etc, that would add some slight changes to flavour text and add some event chains and goals that could spice up the midgame.

Coming from EU4, that game is really good at letting the player give themselves a bunch of goals based on history - the game isn't necessarily telling you to capture Jerusalem as a Christian nation, but the player's knowledge of history might drive them to do that and make it feel rewarding. Similarly, trying to control all the territories on a continent or create/recreate a historical nation like Prussia or Malaya gives the player a goal that lets them poke all the systems in the game and have them interact in interesting ways. I think giving empires in Stellaris a pool of more specific/interesting goals that have direct in-game consequences would be cool, either by selectable backstories or more events. If I was uplifted by an ancient empire, maybe it gives me something interesting to do with a fallen empire within the game. If I'm a lost space colony, maybe there's a specific planet halfway across the galaxy that I really want to capture, because that's my homeworld. Maybe I'm a crisis refugee from another galaxy, and my goal is to just build a huge ark and send it onto the next galaxy before the crisis kicks off, and that forces me to interact with immigration and uplifting mechanics in an interesting way.

I've only played a couple of games at this point so I don't know if I just haven't run into these kinds of events yet, but I've definitely hit the point in both games where I've sort of expanded in every direction and now if I don't want to invade someone else, I just have to sort of sit around progressing my technology to stop anyone else thinking I'm small enough to invade, and that's where I get pretty bored.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Red Bones posted:

I think it would be nice to have the game go a little further in reflecting the history of the empire you create. Like a list of five or six preset backstories like 'uplifted by alien speces', 'exiles from a space war', 'naturally evolved', 'stranded pre-FTL colony', etc, that would add some slight changes to flavour text and add some event chains and goals that could spice up the midgame.

Coming from EU4, that game is really good at letting the player give themselves a bunch of goals based on history - the game isn't necessarily telling you to capture Jerusalem as a Christian nation, but the player's knowledge of history might drive them to do that and make it feel rewarding. Similarly, trying to control all the territories on a continent or create/recreate a historical nation like Prussia or Malaya gives the player a goal that lets them poke all the systems in the game and have them interact in interesting ways. I think giving empires in Stellaris a pool of more specific/interesting goals that have direct in-game consequences would be cool, either by selectable backstories or more events. If I was uplifted by an ancient empire, maybe it gives me something interesting to do with a fallen empire within the game. If I'm a lost space colony, maybe there's a specific planet halfway across the galaxy that I really want to capture, because that's my homeworld. Maybe I'm a crisis refugee from another galaxy, and my goal is to just build a huge ark and send it onto the next galaxy before the crisis kicks off, and that forces me to interact with immigration and uplifting mechanics in an interesting way.

I've only played a couple of games at this point so I don't know if I just haven't run into these kinds of events yet, but I've definitely hit the point in both games where I've sort of expanded in every direction and now if I don't want to invade someone else, I just have to sort of sit around progressing my technology to stop anyone else thinking I'm small enough to invade, and that's where I get pretty bored.

As long as we can switch those backstories off, or pick and choose, why not? Also, a "naturally evolved" machine empire sounds like a funny option. Instead of organic life, machines evolved on this planet!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Libluini posted:

As long as we can switch those backstories off, or pick and choose, why not? Also, a "naturally evolved" machine empire sounds like a funny option. Instead of organic life, machines evolved on this planet!

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Libluini posted:

Yeah, my idea would be just a list at the start you can choose from, including just not picking one at all. Maybe with some other events tying into the politics/internal factions system instead, so a religious faction might develop a "go colonise this specific world and cover it entirely with temples" goal they want fulfilled alongside the less specific ones. Just adding more incentives for players to interact with other empires in interesting ways.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

:allears: Oh. My. God. Instead of going with silicium-based lifeforms, nanomachines or whatever else, they went with loving gears?!

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Libluini posted:

:allears: Oh. My. God. Instead of going with silicium-based lifeforms, nanomachines or whatever else, they went with loving gears?!

Naturally occurring gears :pseudo:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Wonder if that's where Rick and Morty got the weird gear guy from.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
The thing about the gear wars is that it was never really about the gears.

It was about killing all those loving worthless non-gear havers.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I really don't understand what was so wrong with the suggestion that maybe crises could involve a multi-pronged invasion instead of one single giant blob that it triggered everyone to start screaming about how you can just turn crises off altogether.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Reveilled posted:

I really don't understand what was so wrong with the suggestion that maybe crises could involve a multi-pronged invasion instead of one single giant blob that it triggered everyone to start screaming about how you can just turn crises off altogether.

The Contingency already does this, so the suggestion is already moot, anyway.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Actually as I thought about it it would be kinda cool if the Unbidden had all three factions show up in different spots and make war on each other when they met

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Wow that's a lot of posts this morning.

Wiz posted:

Yep.

As I keep saying, I think the crisis OwlFancier wants is no crisis at all... which is why I honestly don't understand why he doesn't just turn them off. Either way, I'm done arguing the point.
I don't think OwlFancier is saying to scale them based on how well the player has played. I think he's saying that given how the crisises are set up the "real" difficulty of a crisis is way swingier than it should be, and the game lacks the tools at present to allow the player to adapt to this.

To the player, a crisis isn't about defeating it before it devours the galaxy, it's about defeating it before it devours you, personally, because if you're out of the game the game is over. Or reduced to a rump state watching everyone else do the cool stuff.

The crisises at the moment are:

1) A big old pile of monsters
2) Of fixed size
3) Appears in a single
4) Randomly determined location,
5) and destroys everything at their start location.
6) The galaxy must band together to defeat them
7) Using the existing combat mechanics

You seem to be arguing against messing with 2, while OwlFancier seems to be having issue with 3 to 7, which only indirectly impact 2.

If you've blanketed half the map then 3, 4, 5, 7 are fine because losing a couple of planets is no big deal. If you're playing tall and they land on a friend/enemy then 3, 4, 5, 7 are still fine, because you can meaningfully engage with the crisis while worrying about your friends/laughing at your enemies. If you're playing tall and they land on your face, and it's a big enough threat to have still proved challenging in the other two scenarios, then you're probably about to die immediately or be reduced to a rump state on the sidelines. The galaxy might win but your involvement will be peripheral at best.

So for a tall run, the real difficulty of the player goal (live) increases drastically if it lands in their face. There's nothing a player can do to impact this other than not play tall, and little they can do to adapt after the fact. Yes, scaling the crisis down if it spawns on top of the player is one potential approach, changing it from a galactic crisis to a personal empire crisis, but knocking out any one of 3, 4, 5, or 7 would probably sort it better.

Fiddling the RNG (4) through player actions (lures), or a hardcoded "don't drop in player territory unless they're huge".

Spreading them out (3) so everyone gets beat up a bit before the crisis forms a stronghold in the weak link, which is similar to (4) but replacing the RNG with Git Gud.

Adding non-fight alternatives to (7) because a rump state can still Press Buttons.

Adding a diaspora option (5), slapping engines on your habitats or whatever and booking it to an ally's territory.

So it's not "scale based on how well the player is doing", it's "not have a huge component of the player's ability to participate in the endgame be based on whether the virtual dart bullseyes you". This can be done by not aiming at them, by putting the dart in the player's hands, by allowing the player to dodge, or allowing the player to meaningfully participate with a dart in their face.

The second thing is that, as the game stands, multi empire AI combat is a nightmare. A big pile of superfriends is not going to be able to put up half the fight of a single galaxy-spanning empire (6) because gently caress knows what the AI's going to do. Since federations are portrayed as a valid gamestyle, that's a problem. Again, this could be read as "scale based on how unified the galaxy is", but that's a hack patch for something that is better solved through better diplomacy, non-fleet based solutions, and "follow me!" commands. Which would also help with the dartboard rump state scenario.

Thanks for reading, have a lovely day, I like your game and I like playing it.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Oct 6, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Psycho Landlord posted:

Naturally occurring gears :pseudo:

There's a naturally occurring gear in the body of some insect, iirc, so we're one third of the way towards machine life. :eng101:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
3 is already wrong in some cases, but I would see nothing wrong with splitting up the more monolithic crises into multiple attack swarms.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Reveilled posted:

Wiz thinks crisises are working perfectly as is, so any criticism or feedback that isn't "hey Wiz, you're the absolute best and crisises are completely perfect as-is" is just dumb players failing to understand the perfection of the dev team's vision, hating fun, or simply being too wussy to enjoy the perfection of current crisises.

Ironically, the one suggestion Wiz has expressed any interest so far is the one I like the least. Building structures that can influence the crisises to attack other empires first sounds like one of those things that's really satisfying when the player does it against the AI but really miserable when the AI does is against the player. Either the AI can use it too and it completely breaks the core concept of "everyone cooperates against the crisis", making games even more dependent on the whims of the AI to avoid unwinnable situations, or it's a player-only thing in which case it's a brutally-effective stomp button that they player can use to cripple their rivals but with a risk of backfiring if they let it run too long.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I like to say "losing" instead of "unwinnable situation."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Libluini posted:

3 is already wrong in some cases, but I would see nothing wrong with splitting up the more monolithic crises into multiple attack swarms.
Could have sworn I'd said I was talking about the scourge and the unbidden*, but apparently I did not. The contingency and end of the cycle are apparently Good (I haven't managed to trigger either yet :v:)

*I know, I know, but if the first lands smack on your homeworld the others don't really matter.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Oct 6, 2017

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Really though if you're going to spin his words like that his best course of action is to not post his opinion at all, which is pretty lovely. If you disagree with him, fine, but maybe don't personally attack the dude who actually lets us give direct input on his game. You're not going to win your internet argument, your going to lose the ear of the one person who actually is worth discussing this stuff with.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 6, 2017

Constantly LARPing
Aug 30, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

Wiz thinks he's perfect and refuses to engage with criticism and potential solutions!

Also the idea Wiz expressed interest in after receiving criticism sucks!

Lol.

Anyway, the problem with crises isn't combat, it's diplomacy, which is why I'm a little bummed it looks like they're working on combat first. If you're a tall empire of a bunch of hippie slugs and a crisis shows up there's not much to do except hope that the rest of the galaxy gets it's poo poo together and fights back, and there's not much you can do to engage with that process. There really should be a "Galactic Defense Initiative" or something where you bribe, sweet-talk, expend influence, etc. to get as many empires together to fight the threat. Could include mini-events where bringing remains of enemy ships or something is required to get the xenophobe empire to join up. That way even if you could never field the requisite amount of ships needed to fight, you can still feel like you have some control over the outcome instead of just losing to the RNG gods.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Constantly LARPing posted:

Lol.

Anyway, the problem with crises isn't combat, it's diplomacy, which is why I'm a little bummed it looks like they're working on combat first. If you're a tall empire of a bunch of hippie slugs and a crisis shows up there's not much to do except hope that the rest of the galaxy gets it's poo poo together and fights back, and there's not much you can do to engage with that process. There really should be a "Galactic Defense Initiative" or something where you bribe, sweet-talk, expend influence, etc. to get as many empires together to fight the threat. Could include mini-events where bringing remains of enemy ships or something is required to get the xenophobe empire to join up. That way even if you could never field the requisite amount of ships needed to fight, you can still feel like you have some control over the outcome instead of just losing to the RNG gods.

The mini event idea sounds good.
It allows you to participate and modify events even though your empire is worthless.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lol.

Hopefukl the war update will include "rally here!" "Attack here!" Options. Allies will follow you into battle as is, but adding a way to ensure we all show up at about the same time would be a huge boost.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Splicer posted:

Hopefukl the war update will include "rally here!" "Attack here!" Options. Allies will follow you into battle as is, but adding a way to ensure we all show up at about the same time would be a huge boost.

Selecting Galactic Defender should open up a button like the "Follow me" one for Feds and Allies, except for everyone who is currently trying to fight the Crisis.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I would like it if a crisis began with an event chain where some crackpot and their friends show up and ask you to join the military alliance they're forming to defeat an ancient evil that has awakened.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I'm weirdly okay with a tall empire of hippie (or isolationist) slugs being screwed if a crisis lands in their backyard. I mean, you knew what you were doing when you decided to play "tall".

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

turn off the TV posted:

I would like it if a crisis began with an event chain where some crackpot and their friends show up and ask you to join the military alliance they're forming to defeat an ancient evil that has awakened.

Seeing as gimme events are just traps, what would be the consequence of a lying Commander Shephard if you actually followed them?

Magil Zeal posted:

I'm weirdly okay with a tall empire of hippie (or isolationist) slugs being screwed if a crisis lands in their backyard. I mean, you knew what you were doing when you decided to play "tall".

Attitudes like this and their results are why so many powergamey civs are the goto. Why even try different poo poo if this is the response when you find it impossible to affect things.

That said, with a good chunk of mods I decided to get a few that allowed all crises, pumped them up, and then cranked the dial of crisis strength to 5x. My inward perfection slugs vs Everything Bad

I will report how hard I die.

Playstation 4 fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 6, 2017

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Playstation 4 posted:

Attitudes like this and their results are why so many powergamey civs are the goto. Why even try different poo poo if this is the response when you find it impossible to affect things.

That said, with a good chunk of mods I decided to get a few that allowed all crises, pumped them up, and then cranked the dial of crisis strength to 5x. My inward perfection slugs vs Everything Bad

I will report how hard I die.

I don't think designing for "tall" is a good idea in a game about expanding and building an empire. With that said, generally Stellaris is okay about it right now. If you want to play "tall" then install some mods or turn the crises off. I think designing the endgame crisis with a wimpy empire in mind would actually make it less interesting (or threatening, or both).

Also, there's always going to be powergaming and optimizing. Personally, though, I don't usually play that way. I just have no problem with adjusting the game settings (or modding the game) to suit whatever kind of play I'm going for.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
The Shroud should have a greater chance of offering the End of the Cycle deal if you're in the midst of crisis.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Playstation 4 posted:

Seeing as gimme events are just traps, what would be the consequence of a lying Commander Shephard if you actually followed them?

Obviously they keep on asking you for more and more money after their ship is blown up multiple times.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I had reached the end of my expansion for a bit and was building tall in my conventionally safest sector. 20 plus systems on a galactic arm surrounded by my federation and vassals and away from the enemies near my core worlds. Of course the Prethoryn choose my unfinished ringworld to show up.

I guess they are... ringworms... Clearing them out later will be interesting, I have at least a dozen habitats that will also get eaten before I can stop them.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ephemeron posted:

The Shroud should have a greater chance of offering the End of the Cycle deal if you're in the midst of crisis.

"Yo dawg I hear you love crises"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

turn off the TV posted:

I'd legit enjoy a set of space adventurers roaming around having adventures and telling me about them. A roaming enclave that takes quests and buys guns off me.

Yes I did enjoy Majesty why do you ask?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Did "domestic protocols" for robots get removed in the latest patch? It no longer seems available for robomodding.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Did "domestic protocols" for robots get removed in the latest patch? It no longer seems available for robomodding.

Wiki says it's available for robo-modding but not for a machine intelligence-based empire. Which makes sense, I suppose.

Edit: And also not applicable on basic robots? I guess that means only for droids and synths?

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 6, 2017

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Splicer posted:

I'd legit enjoy a set of space adventurers roaming around having adventures and telling me about them. A roaming enclave that takes quests and buys guns off me.

Yes I did enjoy Majesty why do you ask?

Majesty is great and so is this idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

turn off the TV posted:

Obviously they keep on asking you for more and more money after their ship is blown up multiple times.

30% an enemy stronghold is eliminated, they're never seen again
50% they ask for more money
10% an enemy stronghold is eliminated and they ask for more money (so they can try to do it again)
9% they vanish completely only to return as a Prethoryn Locutus, Unbidden Replicants, Contingency Assassins/Saboteurs, or the Herald of the End
1% they get killed when their ship collides with a mass driver round fired 30,000,000 years ago.

• Locked thread