Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wait, I thought the GL rings turned off if you tried to use them to kill?

We're already dealing with a universe that didn't put child locks on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

It tried. His will was strong enough to break it and eventually his whole universe

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

GL Rings theoretically have an anti-killing filter but 'someone can get past that' has been a thing for a while.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ImpAtom posted:

GL Rings theoretically have an anti-killing filter but 'someone can get past that' has been a thing for a while.

It’s possible to get past the anti-killing tech in a green lantern ring as long as you’re dabbing hard enough.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Ariong posted:

It’s possible to get past the anti-killing tech in a green lantern ring as long as you’re dabbing hard enough.

"Nobody could ever possibly think this looks cool," thought Ganthet. "It's the perfect fail-safe."

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"The Green Lantern Ring grants the wearer incredible and incomprehensible powers and abilities, by harnessing pure willpower it can be used to construct anything to the very limits of the imagination." *shoots green energy*

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Duke Igthorn posted:

"The Green Lantern Ring grants the wearer incredible and incomprehensible powers and abilities, by harnessing pure willpower it can be used to construct anything to the very limits of the imagination." *shoots green energy*

That pretty much is the limit of Jordan's imagination

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Duke Igthorn posted:

I would have been much more on board with the "8 year old Bruce gets superpowers" angle if instead of going mad with power and killing everyone, he became the green Lantern version of Stardust.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Duke Igthorn posted:

He's imagining his ring opening a portal to a dimension of pure concussive force. Pretty creative! Probably needlessly complex though when we all should have been fine with "shoots energy".

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Keeshhound posted:

I would have been much more on board with the "8 year old Bruce gets superpowers" angle if instead of going mad with power and killing everyone, he became the green Lantern version of Stardust.

Of course we need more stardust

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

That GL Bruce is pretty bad, it really gives me some Superboy-Prime vibes. ...Are we sure this isn't the same world where Superboy-Prime came from?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who was the first Earth Green Lantern to make a huge green dick

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

bobkatt013 posted:

Of course we need more stardust

"Bat-lantern..."

"Yes, Commissioner Gordon?"

"We need to talk about what you did to Cobblepot."

"What do you mean? He and his gang are all alive, and they won't be hurting anyone again."

"Yes, but-"

"I distinctly recall you said that there was no way the police could arrest them all without taking crippling casualties; this way everyone is safe. I thought you'd approve."

"You turned them into penguins."

"Well, technically I encased-"

"Giant, green penguins. And stuffed them in a giant green zoo."

"I thought it would help the city raise more revenue. Goodness knows the streets could use some maintenance, the potholes are just dreadful."

"... Good talk, Bat-Lantern."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

zoux posted:

Might as well just ask who was the first Earth Green Lantern.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
The entire point of this is "Here's the universes that are horrible and should never exist and literally crumble under the weight of how much they should not exist."

That said it's still a bad comic. I had hopes that at least they were gonna all be FUN, dumb over the top stuff like The Red Death was, with Batman strapping The Flash to a batmobile that is also a cosmic treadmill and then ramping it into the Speed Force, but I guess I should have figured out that wouldn't be the case LAST week.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zoux posted:

Guy Gardner

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I still can't get over the fact that he's called The Green Lantern and all his powers come from a magic ring. (Yes, I know he has to occasionally recharge the ring inside the lantern or something, but still)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

zoux posted:

Abin Sur, posthumously.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ghostlight posted:

Abin Sur, posthumously.

Heh

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Skwirl posted:

I still can't get over the fact that he's called The Green Lantern and all his powers come from a magic ring. (Yes, I know he has to occasionally recharge the ring inside the lantern or something, but still)

I mean, all the ring's powers come from the lantern.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Skwirl posted:

If it helps it's because the entire concept is based on Aladdin. In the original story there is the well-known magic lamp with a djinn in it, but he obtains this through the use of a magic ring he is given by a sorcerous stranger which also contains a djinn but of lesser power - the lamp itself is the ends, but the ring is the active means through which it is gotten, lost, and retrieved over the course of the story.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ghostlight posted:

If it helps it's because the entire concept is based on Aladdin. In the original story there is the well-known magic lamp with a djinn in it, but he obtains this through the use of a magic ring he is given by a sorcerous stranger which also contains a djinn but of lesser power - the lamp itself is the ends, but the ring is the active means through which it is gotten, lost, and retrieved over the course of the story.

Is that also why he was named Alan?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Guy Gardner

He said make a huge dick, not be a huge dick.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TwoPair posted:

He said make a huge dick, not be a huge dick.

Am I wrong though?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Guy will always be the best Green Lantern because he rocked the best vest.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Lobok posted:

Is that also why he was named Alan?

Yes. They were going to name him Alan Ladd, but there was already an actor with that name.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

zoux posted:

Hal, why is your dick bright green and the size of a forearm?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

My absolute fav moment from a largely wonderful first 100 issues is the story where Cobra trick the US government into detonating a megaton's worth of explosive in the Gulf of Mexico to destroy a sham bunker on the sea bed, resulting in an earthquake that drags a big chunk of land up above sea level. Cobra immediately stake a claim on it and send in a squad of lawyers to the UN for official recognition as a sovereign state, which is granted. It ends with CC gleefully remarking that if you have enough money and buy the best lawyers, you can do anything you want while the Joes dejectedly slink off with their tails between their legs.

:911:

OK, OK, one more post, but only because I was just working on my writeup for that issue...

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

It looks like Hal's just covering his eyes, which makes me think the ring's anti-kill blocker's workaround is just "doesn't count if you don't see it".

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Nipponophile posted:

OK, OK, one more post, but only because I was just working on my writeup for that issue...

Now that Bill Murray has joined forces with Cobra Commander, they are truly unstoppable.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
It would have to be INTENT to kill, otherwise, you couldn't form any sort of basic offensive construct.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

dont even fink about it posted:

Now that Bill Murray has joined forces with Cobra Commander, they are truly unstoppable.

That's clearly Ernie "Big Ern" McCracken, celebrating that he's finally above the law.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

amigolupus posted:

That GL Bruce is pretty bad, it really gives me some Superboy-Prime vibes. ...Are we sure this isn't the same world where Superboy-Prime came from?

I was thinking of Kid Miracleman myself. But then, recycling 35-year-old Alan Moore stories is pretty much par for the course in comics.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Venom 151

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

But with that type of serum he could cure cancer

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

But with that type of name he is destined to turn people into dinosaurs.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Science?

The first year or two of transformers is a goldmine for this stuff. Someone needs to post issue 13 (?) where some crappy hoodlum finds Megatron stuck in gun mode and becomes the city's most dangerous criminal.

Much like GI Joe, tho, that series was so much better than it had any right to be.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I liked Circuitbreaker. I liked how Marvel wasn't afraid to explore different ideas in their comics.

Real talk: The 'Nam still holds up. The middle or so definitely becomes a bit less focused, but goddamn does that series still hold up. Hama strikes again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Duh Flash, it was going to go the silly way or be something unfun or boring like:

Lobok fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 6, 2017