Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Crazycryodude posted:

Them recognizing everything rimward of the Belt as in the Martian sphere of influence
Don't let the IC and TFS hear that, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hessi
Oct 28, 2010
I d ask for an exploration ship or two, as those ships are recently build and would give us a limited look into earth tech levels. Overall really good proposal Bwengun.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Okay so i'm going to try distill the discussion before things get too out of hand.

Firstly there are many points people agree on with relatively minor differences in details. It seems to me the major differrences are whether Mars allows a Terran colony in Ranginui and/or what conditions it tries to attach in return for that concession.

First up shared overlaps between most of the various proposals:

- Demand Sol JP data and Astronomical data on Nova Sol.
- Sharing of new ruins and alien contacts. Future Xenology co-operation.
- Terran ownership of Noval Sol is allowable in the same manner as Mars claims Ranginui.
- Sol JP ownership stays as is and Terra stands down its fleets moving outsystem.

Points of difference:

The degree of allowable Terran claims in Ranginui.
- No terran presence allowable.
- Exploration only (no mining).
- Civilian only (mining allowable on a single body).
- Military with limits i.e. limited lease period, limited military tonnage.

- Mil/Com access allowed but with a reciprocal Martian lease on a body in Nova Sol.

-Terran ownership of the Nova Sol - Ranginui JP

------------------------------------

After speaking with the Martian diplomatic corps the first is unfortunately dismissed. They advise Terra has been adamant it will not allow Mars to lock it out of Ranginui and given the prize on display that is somewhat understandable. It is decided to aim for no Terran presence in Ranganui but be prepared to back down somewhat in exchange for other concessions elsewhere.

Rapid discussions ensue with the Terran ambassador, he is somewhat taken aback by the ferocity of the Martian response and the belligerence of their demands but dutifully passes them on to his superiors. A response is not long in coming, after some further back and forth it boils down to the following.

------------------------------------

Terran response:

• Reciprocal ownership of a body in Nova Sol is dismissed out of hand. Terra flatly refuses to allow Mars a foothold in their space.
  • Terra must be allowed both a military and civilian presence in Ranginui until the ruins are completely explored and exploited (minimum lease period of 50 years with extension if the systems ruins are not fully exploited). A lease tax of 10% will be paid to Mars on harvested TNE within Ranginui and they will accept negotiated restictions on military deployment with conditions (tonnage limits on Ships and PDC and Ranganui V excluded from their choice of bodies for a base) if Mars agrees to Terran ownership of the Nova Sol-Ranganui jump line and a 20m km demilitarised zone around the Ranganui terminus. Without this Terra will not accept tonnage and emplacement restrictions or pay any lease fee.
  • Terra will not accept sole ownership by any party of any more of Sol's JPs. They view this as an essential release valve for any tensions.
  • To sweeten the overall deal they are willing to concede allowing an unarmed Martian vessel to perform an astronomical survey in Nova Sol and provide the location of its Ranginui JP. They likewise will offer their collected survey information on the jump points of Sol which are unknown to Mars at this point.

The following points are largely agreed upon by both sides without serious revision.

• Mars agrees to cede the 'Nova Sol' system and the jump points connecting it to Ranginui to Terra as well as any further jump points out of Nova Sol.
  • Terra will concede Martian ownership of the 'Ranginui' system and the direct jump link as well as further jump links out of Ranginui.
  • Both sides will be allowed to send unarmed expeditions into each others territory to explore and exploit any xenoarcheological discoveries made.
  • A joint Xenology body will be created. All new Xenoarcheological discoveries must be reported to this body within three months of discovery. Discovery of any alien life must be reported as soon as practicable (Mars believes the terrans have not noticed the changes in exact wording of the Xenology part of the text).

The Federal Diplomatic corps advises that it is unlikely you will receive much better terms than these at this point. Terra seems confident of its ability to prevail in any non-MAD violent confrontation and due to the depleted state of the Martian fleet and the vastly superior number of Terran warships they may very well be correct.

Terra has at least thirty capital ships (Battleships and Battlecruisers) and a dozen fleet carriers to Mars's thirteen remaining capital ships and six fleet carriers. It is believed that Terran cruisers are roughly equal in number to Martian and average slightly smaller tonnage while they have a very large destroyer contingent with nearly three times as many as Mars. The Terra-Luna fixed fortifications are also enormous which will probably allow Terra to deploy more of their ships away without compromising their home defense.

What say you goons?

Its time for a vote. Further tweaks to the exact agreement can be made after the fact but this is the big one.

1) Broadly accept the Terran proposal (please specify 1A or 1B).
- 1A - Accept with Terran tonnage limits and TNE tax but demilitarised Nova Sol -> Ranginui terminus.
- 1B - Accept without tonnage limits and tax but be allowed to fortify Ranginui terminus.

2) Reject Terran proposals, this will likely lead to further escalation (please specify 2A or 2B).
- 2A - Reject out of hand.
- 2B - Reject but offer further terms beneficial to Mars.

Option 1 would be your go-to if you feel the agreement is somewhat reasonable but needs tweaking (i.e. higher taxes, material concessions from Terra etc) while Option 2 is more on the end of "get hosed Terra."

Saros fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 6, 2017

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Voting 1C

Edit changed my vote to 1C

Tythas fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 6, 2017

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
This looks broadly workable. Raking it through with a fine toothed comb now

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Hard decision there.

Limiting the amount they can have in the system at any one time limits their ability to pearl harbour us. But at the same time. Allowing them to jump in with a battlefleet at any time without them suffering at the JP is potentially even worse.

Saros, are they saying they will only using the Nova Sol-Rangi JP and not the Sol-Rangi JP?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Tythas posted:

Voting 1A

Edit changed my vote to 1A with the condition of 35% lease tax and a 3000 ton restriction on military ships
Going out on a limb that they won't accept that tonnage limit. Considering what we're currently planning to lay down as "destroyer" and "light cruisers" 3000 tons is laughable.

I'd also like a clarification on what UT understands under "a presence" under this proposal.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
This agreement seems very one sided, considering what we believed the principles laid down in the original jump point division agreement were. Therefore I would go with what is traditionally done in inequitable agreements where one party is in a temporary position of strength, 1A but violence as soon as we believe we are in the position of strength (once new fleet is coming together?).

Incy fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 6, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
2A

Live free or die.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

A1

20 Mil is large, sure, but we can still build stations with good sensors and long range missiles if we want. Or, as was stated, start fortifying the JP in 2-3 years and start the war on our terms not theirs.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

BwenGun posted:

Saros, are they saying they will only using the Nova Sol-Rangi JP and not the Sol-Rangi JP?

Sol-Ranginui JP will be under Martian control and they will only be able to transit with your permission.

Re: the 20m km zone that is well within missile range and about 1/3 the distance Mercury orbits the sun from so is unlikely to catch any bodies in its radius.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

In the hopes of avoiding a war we cannot win at this time, 1C.

Also, make drat sure whatever infrastructure they put down in Ranganui isn't on Ranganui I. That planet is potentially a Death Star second treasure trove of alien super-technology that Earth doesn't yet know about.

EDIT: Since we found out that was what it was just before this treaty was implemented, we can say we knew about it before that whole "new" discovery thing happened in the treaty.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 6, 2017

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
As has been pointed out on Discord, 20 Mkm is a little more than on third of the distance from the sun to Mercury. It's not a distance where we'd be blind, it's a distance our missiles can cover and the main advantage UT gets out of it that we wouldn't be able to hit ships entering the system before they can recover from the jump shock.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Also, I forgot to mention this:

Saros posted:

...A joint Xenology body will be created. All new Xenoarcheological discoveries must be reported to this body within three months of discovery. Discovery of any alien life must be reported as soon as practicable (Mars believes the terrans have not noticed the changes in exact wording of the Xenology part of the text)...

Didn't notice my rear end. The first thing any competent negotiator would do with a new proposed set of terms is run a diff on whatever they got against the last iteration of the treaty. They have their own ruins in Nova Sol. They may not be as extensive as the ones in Ranganui (or else they wouldn't be willing to go to war over that system), but we have to assume they exist, given how common these drat things seem to be. We should ask the Facility about any Collaboration presence in that system as soon as we give it something to go on, since the jump graph has been hosed with by alien beings and we can't use it to confirm or deny which system in its maps is which.

Hell, ask the Facility for ANY maps of Collaboration facilities we can use. Even if we get only the star types and planetary layouts of the systems that their stuff is present in, we can use that to confirm whether alien ruins are present in a new system without scanning for it, allowing us to... HAPPEN to get an archeological team to them before we HAPPEN to stumble upon those ruins and have to announce their existence.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 6, 2017

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Get hosed Terra - complete joke they demand a colony but will not reciprocate. Escalate to Defcon 2, set a redline and prepare to open fire.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Saros posted:

Sol-Ranginui JP will be under Martian control and they will only be able to transit with your permission.

Re: the 20m km zone that is well within missile range and about 1/3 the distance Mercury orbits the sun from so is unlikely to catch any bodies in its radius.

Thanks Saros. Well that will slow them down compared to us when it comes to the exploitation of the ruins and the colonization process.

Inglonias posted:

Didn't notice my rear end. The first thing any competent negotiator would do with a new proposed set of terms is run a diff on whatever they got against the last iteration of the treaty. They have their own ruins in Nova Sol. They may not be as extensive as the ones in Ranganui (or else they wouldn't be willing to go to war over that system), but we have to assume they exist, given how common these drat things seem to be. We should ask the Facility about any Collaboration presence in that system as soon as we give it something to go on, since the jump graph has been hosed with by alien beings.

Hell, ask the Facility for ANY nearby Collaboration maps we can use. Even if we get only the star types and planetary layouts, we can use that to confirm whether alien ruins are present in a new system without scanning for it, allowing us to... HAPPEN to get an archeological team to them before we HAPPEN to stumble upon those ruins and have to announce their existence.

Well... it could also be a Martian addition if we're trying to keep Facility hush hush.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

Inglonias posted:

Hell, ask the Facility for ANY nearby Collaboration maps we can use. Even if we get only the star types and planetary layouts, we can use that to confirm whether alien ruins are present in a new system without scanning for it, allowing us to... HAPPEN to get an archeological team to them before we HAPPEN to stumble upon those ruins and have to announce their existence.

"Actually, I think you'll find we haven't announced any new finds for the duration of this treaty as the alien AI we were conversing with immediately before signing gave us maps of all the civilization it was aware of, and therefore none of the ruins were 'new' discoveries post execution."

I would want to watch that conference.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
1A

Yes, they can just keep a fleet on the far side of the JP, but without a fleet base in Ranginui, that fleet would eat up its deployment time and maintenance costs, while our ships are hanging out in comfort at our fleet base with maintenance stations. And any fleet at the Nova Sol -- Ranginui jump point is tied up some distance from any action in Sol.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Inglonias posted:

Didn't notice my rear end.

Thats certainly possible but the Martian team assigned to negotiate Xenology specific provisions did their very best to be complete asses about everything and bumble about and confuse the Terrans as much as possible to hide this in a mass of piddly procedural stuff.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

BwenGun posted:

Well... it could also be a Martian addition if we're trying to keep Facility hush hush.

That is the assumption I'm working on, and the fact that Saros said

Saros posted:

(Mars believes the terrans have not noticed the changes in exact wording of the Xenology part of the text).

leads me to believe that the Terrans have SEEN the document. Again, we have to assume that they're competent. They HAVE to know this means we know about other stuff, or else we'd demand to know about any other ruins they have. Even if they don't have other ruins, assuming they do can only help us (except in the case where we don't start a war we could totally win because we think they have a superlaser, and they don't actually have one.)

EDIT:

Saros posted:

Thats certainly possible but the Martian team assigned to negotiate Xenology specific provisions did their very best to be complete asses about everything and bumble about and confuse the Terrans as much as possible to hide this in a mass of piddly procedural stuff.

Never tell your players that they're barking up the wrong tree unless it causes a game over, Saros. ;)
My point still stands. If we assume the worst, we won't be unpleasantly surprised. If the Facility tells us that it can't find poo poo in Nova Sol, I will drop this, but until it does I'm working off of this assumption.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 6, 2017

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
2A

These bastards want a war so bad? We'll give them a war to remember!

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

On the one hand I'd like to see how a conflict would shake out, but on the other I'm more interested in what we can find outside of Sol.

1A

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Tythas posted:

Voting 1A

Edit changed my vote to 1A with the condition of 35% lease tax and a max tonnage that matches our Mobile tonnage (any mobile ship military ship in system) and we can also fortify outside the 20m km range with missile stations

Sure why not.

e: 1A like this plus Hessi's extended demilitarization.

1C because it's much better than war right now.

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 6, 2017

Hessi
Oct 28, 2010
A1, with the added demand that UTs side of the Ranganui-Sol Nova JP cannot be fortified either, with ample inspectors on both sides

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Hessi posted:

A1, with the added demand that UTs side of the Ranganui-Sol Nova JP cannot be fortified either, with ample inspectors on both sides

That's a good demand.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

One request, when endorsing a vote please make that clear that is your vote and bold somewhere. Often there will be 40-50+ votes on a topic and when i'm counting them up I can miss ones that are unclear.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
1A

Let's get this finished so we can start poking giant alien death planets with sticks.

Tactical_Torpedo
Feb 26, 2017

When all else fails?

FIRE EVERYTHING!

Then bravely run away.
Grimey Drawer
1A with Hessi modification, we can deal with this & TBH I want some time to pass for NewFleet stuff.

Edit:1C, TheWetFish. Stop being good at your jobs guys, making me change my vote!

Tactical_Torpedo fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 6, 2017

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
2B

Why are people going with a 1A/B option if they don't want to accept the Terran terms?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

Why are people going with a 1A/B option if they don't want to accept the Terran terms?

Because Saros has said (1) represents continued negotiations along the lines of their compromise proposal, while (2) indicates a flat rejection of that line of negotiation.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Out of curiosity, when they're agreeing that we would exclusively own future "jump links" out of Ragni, is it that we own the points themselves, or the systems those points link to? Wouldn't want to end up in this situation again when UT has ~*mysteriously*~ ended up having ships in another system that we would have logical claim to but not air-tight, undisputable ink on the page spelling it out.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
^ ^ ^ ^
Yeah, that needs to be cleared up. Also what happens if two jump points lead to the same system?

Also I am not sure about this. On one hand, the treaty is still un-even and not in our advantage. On the other, I don't want to help push the thread into a MAD game over. :v:

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Option 1...B / C ?

• United Terra owns Nova Sol
    United Terra has sole exclusive ownership of the Nova Sol chain excluding Ranganui, subject to agreement from Titan Free State

• Finders Keepers
    Any technology, equipment or facilities obtained as a result of xenoarchaeology will remain the sole property of the finder. United Terra & Martian Colonial Federation to have equal numbers of xeno teams and equal numbers of construction teams within Ranganui, as specified by Martian Colonial Federation. Discoveries from xenoarchaeology in Ranganui to be reported

• Martian Colonial Federation owns Ranganui
    Martian Colonial Federation has sole exclusive ownership of the Ranganui system, all systems leading from Ranganui and leading from those systems in, excluding & terminating at Sol & Nova Sol. Martian Colonial Federation will abide by the following treaty obligations until such time as no ruins remain in Ranganui, plus one month

• Reciprocal military space-based tonnage in Ranganui
    United Terra may maintain space-based military assets in Ranganui of equal tonnage to Martian Colonial Federation space-based self-propelled military assets. Changes in tonnage levels to be advised 1 hour per 50 tons in advance of arriving and agreed by both United Terra and also Martian Colonial Federation. Tonnage in excess of agreed levels is subject to immediate destruction on entering Ranganui. Titan Free State tonnage is not subject to these restrictions however will be subject to separate treaty obligations between Titan Free State & Martian Colonial Federation. Martian Colonial Federation space-based non-self propelled tonnage will not be subject to nor influence these tonnage levels. United Terra will be allowed a minimum of 40K tons of space-based tonnage

• Heavily tax civilian mining
    United Terra may operate one mining colony within Ranganui system. All minerals will be transferred directly to Martian Colonial Federation. Martian Colonial Federation will transfer minerals minus tax to Titan Free State. Titan Free State to transfer minerals to United Terra's choice of mass-driver compatible & safe location in Sol. Tax rate will be 30% of minerals, in kind

• Reciprocal ground forces
    United Terra may maintain ground based military assets in Ranganui of equal tonnage for PDCs or number for troops to Martian Colonial Federation military assets of the same type. Changes in tonnage levels or numbers to be advised 1 hour per 50 tons or 3 months per brigade in advance of arriving and agreed by both United Terra and also Martian Colonial Federation. Excess of agreed levels is subject to immediate destruction on entering Ranganui. Titan Free State is not subject to these restrictions however will be subject to separate treaty obligations between Titan Free State & Martian Colonial Federation

OK, a few points to cover!

Any treaty should always be crafted in the mindset that the other side may break it at any time. Jump points provide choke points of military advantage and we absolutely cannot give that up. Throwing missiles at 20Mkm is in no way meaningfully comparable to jump shock advantage. It's the distinction between a shin high fence and a castle. We are fortifying the jump points on our side, not negotiable.

United Terra can beat us in a fight and they get some concessions, for now. Waived are the provisions for reporting ruins found, unarmed expeditions into each others territory nor for us surveying their exclusive Nova Sol territory. UT get both mining and military within Ranganui but not to unreasonable levels nor forever. Our superior quality & ability to practically reinforce from Sol will always give us a meaningful advantage but we won't be able to clown them (easily) either. We are able to influence the time frames as this is tied to the ruins remaining not dug up and also us retaining control of how quickly they are dug up.

I think this staves off a disadvantageous immediate war, in exchange for slightly strengthening UT and strongly strengthening us, both in the immediate and longer terms

Edit: Minor spelling & grammer
Edit2: "United Terra will be allowed a minimum of 40K tons of space-based tonnage" to prevent low tonnage abuse
Edit3: Lowered mining tax from 50% to 30%

TheWetFish fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 6, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Oh gently caress these guys. No, they don't get to come into our territory and and starting making demands while not even bothering to give us survey data of New Sol? gently caress. Them. There's something real good in their system, and this is just blatant extortion to try and get even more good poo poo. I don't actually want a war yet, but I'll drat well fight one if they push us.

2B
. Like I said, I don't actually want a war (despite what lots of people seem to think). I'm willing to keep negotiating. But this deal is still way too sweet for Earth, and we can't let them set this kind of precedent.

E: Changed to 1C

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 6, 2017

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
If we need to demilitarize our side of the JP they will sure as gently caress have to do it on theirs too!

Also taxes should be higher then 10% more like 30%.

Any presence will be limited by time. 10-20 years. At most.

Other then that .. maybe I will vote for this suggestion.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
2B

Just who the hell do they think we are.
:colbert:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

This "treaty" is 110% pure-strain bullying. They're altering the terms of their previous treaty before the ink is even dry and aren't even slightly willing to give up any material concessions to sweeten the deal. This is Putin saying "you are my vassal, now be a good boy and bend over."

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
1A and move on with the plot.

Getting bogged down in things that we can't really reflect in the game slows poo poo down.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
1A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Otter
May 14, 2012
Voting 1A because the power of humanity with a common threat has no equal. Let's get to that storyline.