Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

They need to do the cartoon Teen Titans thing and break up the robot parts with human sections. He doesn't look so much like a "cyborg" instead he just looks like a robot.

Yeah, his original design is much clearer (and would probably be a lot easier to make in a movie).

I mean, just give him some pants and you're good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Something like George from Metal Gear Rising would be cool

still mostly robot, but enough human left that you don't end up with a Green Lantern style human face floating in CGI mess

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I believe that fully cyborg dudes still have their dicks, only they keep em separately in vats of preserving fluid, because otherwise they'd be severely emasculated and lack any purpose.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I believe that fully cyborg dudes still have their dicks, only they keep em separately in vats of preserving fluid, because otherwise they'd be severely emasculated and lack any purpose.

gently caress that, I want a 12" glistening robot dick (inside me).

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The cartoon version of Cyborg just has half his face as the clearly human part. Teen Titans Go went further and his head can detach and walk around separate from it (although his insides apparently has human organs in them, but TTG is not really a cartoon that cares about canon and logic).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

At least the robot part of his body had a cleaner and easier to read design.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, his original design is much clearer (and would probably be a lot easier to make in a movie).

I mean, just give him some pants and you're good.

Clearer and easier aren't better, though.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Something like George from Metal Gear Rising would be cool

still mostly robot, but enough human left that you don't end up with a Green Lantern style human face floating in CGI mess

This is closer to a sane design choice, but it still doesn't capture the essence of Cyborg as a tragic, un-human figure. That comic book and metal gear concept art is designed around the perspective of a 'regular person' triumphing over their superficial robotic elements. The Cyborg of the films is the result of a horribly misguided Frankenstein experiment.

The frame of reference is not of the 'real person' triumphing over the machine. It's like Doctor Manhattan, the machine has utterly consumed and trapped the person, their memories persist only as a ghost to a completely new, horrifically naked figure.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dillbag posted:

gently caress that, I want a 12" glistening robot dick (inside me).

Search your feelings, and you'll find the giant robo-dick was within you all along.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

K. Waste posted:

Clearer and easier aren't better, though.

Thanks Michael Bay.

edit: also replace Cyborg with an Adrian Barbeau-bot and you have my full support.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

I'm the Adobe Media Encoder timecode burn with bg opacity set to around 40%

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

K. Waste posted:

The frame of reference is not of the 'real person' triumphing over the machine. It's like Doctor Manhattan, the machine has utterly consumed and trapped the person, their memories persist only as a ghost to a completely new, horrifically naked figure.

come on now, we both know there's a much better frame of reference for this:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yep, he's black Robocop, and his dad is Dr. Miles Dyson (also, possibly, Martian Manhunter).

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

DC Murderverse posted:

And the only cool thing about the remake (that's not scene 27):

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

DC Murderverse posted:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yep, he's black Robocop, and his dad is Dr. Miles Dyson (also, possibly, Martian Manhunter).

Dillbag posted:

And the only cool thing about the remake (that's not scene 27):

Cosmetically there is a significant resemblance, especially to the '14 film, but it's important to remember context. Cyborg was not 'built,' he's the result of an ancient alien cube imprinting itself upon a human subject. The connection to RoboCop is there because RoboCop itself is also a Frankenstein story, but thematically Cyborg's origins are still closer to Dr. Manhattan as this spontaneous being that makes itself. In less oppressive terms, there's also the thematic connection between Cyborg and Green Lantern/Ultraman, where an alien being transfers itself to/symbolically mates with a human subject.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

Cosmetically there is a significant resemblance, especially to the '14 film, but it's important to remember context. Cyborg was not 'built,' he's the result of an ancient alien cube imprinting itself upon a human subject.

Hence Dr. Miles Dyson. The alien world in this case is literally just a future Earth and a bad ending for humanity, as seen in MOS and BVS.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

K. Waste posted:

Cosmetically there is a significant resemblance, especially to the '14 film, but it's important to remember context. Cyborg was not 'built,' he's the result of an ancient alien cube imprinting itself upon a human subject. The connection to RoboCop is there because RoboCop itself is also a Frankenstein story, but thematically Cyborg's origins are still closer to Dr. Manhattan as this spontaneous being that makes itself. In less oppressive terms, there's also the thematic connection between Cyborg and Green Lantern/Ultraman, where an alien being transfers itself to/symbolically mates with a human subject.

I thought Cyborg's origin actually was more similar to Robocop - he was in an accident and his father tried to save him. When did the alien cube stuff happen?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I thought Cyborg's origin actually was more similar to Robocop - he was in an accident and his father tried to save him. When did the alien cube stuff happen?

That's the movie version. It was shown in one of the videos Batman found in Lex's computer.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

[quote="“CopywrightMMXI”" post="“477110981”"]
I thought Cyborg’s origin actually was more similar to Robocop - he was in an accident and his father tried to save him. When did the alien cube stuff happen?
[/quote]

New 52, which we've seen in BvS is the route they're going for him.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Hence Dr. Miles Dyson. The alien world in this case is literally just a future Earth and a bad ending for humanity, as seen in MOS and BVS.

Right, and so in the Justice League trailers, Cyborg's appearance is clarified in that he looks like one of the para-demons:

This was a good'n

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

K. Waste posted:

Right, and so in the Justice League trailers, Cyborg's appearance is clarified in that he looks like one of the para-demons:

Oh that's pretty creepy.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dr. Dyson, who purposely made his human son into a machine; not to be confused with Dr. Daystrom, who accidentally made his machine human.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

This was a good'n

I still love, btw, that the entire explanation of parademons, Darkseid, etc are totally implied by the designs.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Aphrodite posted:

New 52, which we've seen in BvS is the route they're going for him.

I'm a post-Crisis on Infinite Earth guy living in a new 52 world.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

what does the "all in" tagline of the justice league posters mean

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The original:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Violator
May 15, 2003

K. Waste posted:

Oh wow, great catch. That's really nice.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Brought to you by Bacardi.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

I still love, btw, that the entire explanation of parademons, Darkseid, etc are totally implied by the designs.

I've not been keeping up with Marvel DC movies, what does this mean?

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 6, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Justice League is not a Marvel movie.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

K. Waste posted:

horrifically naked

Your explanation is pretty good. That phrasing, though - How can someone be horrifically naked? Is it, like, involuntary nudism or something?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Boosh! posted:

Brought to you by Bacardi.

Hahaha holy poo poo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

And More posted:

Your explanation is pretty good. That phrasing, though - How can someone be horrifically naked?

I'm sure there's a goon pic thread for that.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

And More posted:

Your explanation is pretty good. That phrasing, though - How can someone be horrifically naked? Is it, like, involuntary nudism or something?

The horror comes from the realization of Cyborg as a being who is simultaneously the most 'covered' of the characters, while also not wearing any clothing. We've seen bits and pieces from the trailers of Victor Stone and Cyborg being in states of dress, but for the most part, once Cyborg replaces Stone, he is always portrayed in a state of undress.

We should also perhaps make a critical distinction between "nakedness" and "nudity"/"undress." To quote John Berger, "To be naked is to be oneself. To be nude is to be seen naked by others and yet not recognised for oneself." In other words, nakedness is the recognition of oneself or another subject without clothing; whereas nudity, while a state of undress, also assumes the quality of dress, to present and exhibit oneself to or for another person's comfort or pleasure.

So when we're talking about Cyborg, we are talking about a figure for whom this line between nakedness (his "true self") and nudity (a state of undress for the benefit of an observer) is in constant contradiction. When he takes off his hoodie or threadbare disguise, we must conclude that he is naked. And, yet, this nakedness itself is conveyed in harshly confining and even castrating terms. In one sense, his realization as naked but without threatening or shameful genitals is done for us. On the other hand, we are now hyper-fixated upon how tragic this being's existence must be, that while he can be nude, he can perhaps never truly be naked, in the sense that he can enjoy his 'true self.' His true self is exactly the same as this projected image. He can not go home to a private quarter and recuperate from the stress of monitoring his appearance. And because he lacks genitals, he perhaps sees himself as no longer being a 'real man.' You may be starting to notice a pattern here: that Cyborg's crisis - his horrific nakedness - persistently alludes to a crisis of masculinity with which black men are disproportionately burdened in a white supremacist, patriarchal society. Cyborg is this brutal black buck, but, for our comfort, he has no genitals.

In the context of Justice League, however, this horrific and tragic imagery is imbued with black comedy: the castrated black buck now gets to team up with a dominatrix, a repressed homosexual, a gimp, and a seaman.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

source your quotes

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

hexwren posted:

source your quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1GI8mNU5Sg&t=252s

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

K. Waste posted:

The resemblance is uncanny!

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

K. Waste posted:

So when we're talking about Cyborg, we are talking about a figure for whom this line between nakedness (his "true self") and nudity (a state of undress for the benefit of an observer) is in constant contradiction.

So, it's actually horrifying nudity? I also think there is a bit of a contradiction in your definition of nude. A nude painting is exhibiting someone else for the gratification of the spectator. Exhibiting the own body, however, is a sign of power. Being able to look the way you want is empowering, while being merely naked seems to imply vulnerability.

I guess I have to source my weird quotes, too. Foucault says:
"Mastery and awareness of one's own body can be acquired only through the effect of an investment of power in the body: gymnastics, exercises, muscle-building, nudism, glorification of the body beautiful."

Also, I can kind of see Cyborg being "castrated" to be socially acceptable, but I doubt the film is gonna discuss the absence of his dingus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mr. Squishy posted:

I've not been keeping up with Marvel DC movies, what does this mean?

Parademons, the Mother Box, Apokalips and Darkseid have all been referred to or made appearances with no explanation whatsoever, yet they are all easily recognizable concepts.

Parademons are introduced in BVS as an alien locust police force, swarming on Batman when human crack troops can't get the job done. The coloration and design also resembles the armored Batman that appears later in the film. They are a logical extrapolation of the paranoid fascist vigilante.

The Mother Box has one appearance in the theatrical and another in the Communion cut scene as a sort of Lament Configuration type deal. You talk to it/interface with it, and it gives you what you want. Lex also refers to the sound it makes, "a bell that can't be unrung".

Apokalips is the blasted future earth marked with the Omega symbol from the Knightmare, as well as the carpet of skulls that Superman sees in MOS.

Darkseid likewise doesn't need a Thanos credits scene. Superman is introduced by Lex and Batman as a star falling from heaven. Batman takes Superman to be antilibertarian antichrist. Lex however spins this into a fully Satancentric worldview with the painting in his study that reverses the iconography into hell above/heaven below type stuff. His goal, more explicit in the director's cut but implied in the theatrical is to join Satan's kingdom by offering him the earth. The character "Darkseid" is never referred to or named, but the second coming of Superman in JL is implied to be a confrontation with Satan on the day of revelation.