Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Believe in the me that believes in you that belives in roasting and pulverizing 30 Serrano chillies and making chilli out of it and will PEIRCE THE HEAVENS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Suspect Bucket posted:

Believe in the me that believes in you that belives in roasting and pulverizing 30 Serrano chillies and making chilli out of it and will PEIRCE THE HEAVENS

:hfive:

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Hello goons! This I guess is a rather general question. My grandmother is sick and in the hospital standard not much of an appetite and also not wanting to eat the food there.

I want to make her a chicken noodle soup. - The only thing I don't know how to do is how to properly cook the chicken (And what part of the chicken to buy) into little bits to make it safe and taste not like rubber, at the store I can just buy a super low sodium stock (Like 1% sodium) so I'm not worried about that or the vegetables and noodles which I can cook myself - Just being a vegetarian I know nothing about the actual chicken cooking process other than constantly washing everything it touches.

Just basic kitchen supplies, pots, lids, frying and baking pans, all basic spices, etc...

Thanks for any help guys!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You can't cook a chicken so that it breaks down into tiny bits itself. The cut you want is boneless skinless breasts, which are overpriced and not generally super useful, but will be easiest for you to handle. You can poach them. It goes right from the package to the pan, so you don't have to "omg sanitize!!!" anything but the fork that you used to transfer it.

Poaching: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/03/poached-chicken-miso-watercress-recipe.html
Skip the dressing, reuse the broth for the soup.

The chicken will have to be cut up after cooking, which is easier and less gross anyway (and doesn't require any special cleanup). Throw out the skin and anything that seems weirdly textured.

You could also just get takeout chicken noodle soup from her favorite restaurant, diner, upscale chain, etc.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Anne Whateley posted:

You can't cook a chicken so that it breaks down into tiny bits itself. The cut you want is boneless skinless breasts, which are overpriced and not generally super useful, but will be easiest for you to handle.

I disagree. For a chicken soup, you're going to want chicken thighs, which take to soup making much better. Low sodium broth is going to taste about as good as the box it comes in, Home made all the way is what you're going to want to do for good soup.

Do you have a butcher in your grocery store? Actual butcher counter is good, but if they say "WE BREAK PACKAGES" that's a good sign. Here's what you do. Get a pound-ish of chicken thighs, and politely ask the butcher, "Hey, I'm a vegetarian making chicken soup for my sick grandmother, can you please skin debone and dice these for me really quick? I would like to keep the bones and skin for stock." The kind butcher, moved by your efforts, will do so in a sanitary environment and neatly repackage everything. Also buy or have on hand a small head of celery, an onion, carrots, a bay leaf, and an allspice berry. Also salt, pepper, and soy sauce. Chop them roots and crucifers (use the whole dang thing, roots and tops and all, but save a carrot and a stalk of celery for later), and dump them, the bay leaf and allspice berry. and the chicken bones and skin (NOT THE MEAT. DO NOT ADD THE MEAT NOW) into a big pot with some oil. Let everything brown for a few minutes to get nice and toasty, then add water, just enough to cover all your ingredients. Bring to a bare simmer (not a boil!), and let that bubble for at least two hours, longer is better to let the gelatin from the bones render out. Once you've let it simmer to goodness, strain your broth from the spent stock stuff.

Then you're going to add your salt and pepper and soy sauce. This is going to depend roughly on the amount of broth you were able to make, so you're either going to have to take one strike in your vegetarian soul for team grandma, or find a non-vegetarian to taste-test. First add in a dash of soy sauce, and taste. You're checking for what I can really only call 'roundness', or like a nourishing, silky, whole in the mouth sort of feel. If it tastes like empty hot chicken water, cheat and throw in a vegetable bullion cube. Either way, add salt and pepper until tasty. Low sodium and good chicken soup are not mutually exclusive things, so if G-ma's on a sodium restriction, maybe rethink this whole operation.

NOW you're going to poach your chicken. heat the broth to under a simmer (no bubbles but still very hot, 180-190ish), and add your diced chicken. Let that poach in the broth while you make your noodles in another pot. Halfway through cooking the noodles, dice your remaining carrot and celery and add it in the chicken poaching in broth. Once the noodles are cooked nice al dente and drained, remove broth from the heat, add the noodles, give it a final taste, and bring it to grandma. Tell her how much effort you put into it, and she will have to eat two bowls and jump out of bed singing an aria.

\/\/\/Yeah, but the poster in question is veg and not familliar with cooking meat, probably want to minimize the poultry handling, whole birds can be intimidating for the uninitiated \/\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 4, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Just as easy buy whole birds and pull the breast meat after say 30 minutes and the dark at an hour then stock with the rest of the bird, put the meat back in to finish.

Boneless skinless breasts are the worst.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I threw some dry chickpeas in the slow cooker for 5 hours on high, with diced onions, diced tomato, garlic, and spices...They're cooked through but bland as gently caress. What went wrong? Actually the texture isn't quite right.

Usually I just do a one pot chickpea mash that I enjoy. Either way I've got a big rear end thing of chickpeas for a few more days...can I do a refried beans thing with them? A mash?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Both of those will give better results, they'll just be like ten times the work for this poor vegetarian who should honestly probably just get takeout soup.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Peetown Manning posted:

I threw some dry chickpeas in the slow cooker for 5 hours on high, with diced onions, diced tomato, garlic, and spices...They're cooked through but bland as gently caress. What went wrong? Actually the texture isn't quite right.

Usually I just do a one pot chickpea mash that I enjoy. Either way I've got a big rear end thing of chickpeas for a few more days...can I do a refried beans thing with them? A mash?
Do you add salt?

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Do you add salt?

Yes but I was sort of conservative with it...can it all be so simple?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Peetown Manning posted:

Yes but I was sort of conservative with it...can it all be so simple?

Salt makes things taste stronger, that's why you see a little even in deserts and such, they taste flat and bland without it. Try taking a small bowl of it, add a little salt, a pinch or so, mix it in and taste it, then keep adding salt until it either just tastes salty or it tastes more like you wanted it to in the first place, if it just tastes salty then the problem was elsewhere, maybe too much water and too little onion, tomato, garlic & spices, if it tastes good after adding enough salt then it was lack of salt.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

You can't cook a chicken so that it breaks down into tiny bits itself. The cut you want is boneless skinless breasts, which are overpriced and not generally super useful, but will be easiest for you to handle. You can poach them. It goes right from the package to the pan, so you don't have to "omg sanitize!!!" anything but the fork that you used to transfer it.

Poaching: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/03/poached-chicken-miso-watercress-recipe.html
Skip the dressing, reuse the broth for the soup.

The chicken will have to be cut up after cooking, which is easier and less gross anyway (and doesn't require any special cleanup). Throw out the skin and anything that seems weirdly textured.

You could also just get takeout chicken noodle soup from her favorite restaurant, diner, upscale chain, etc.

I'll probably try this option first as it seems the easiest for me.

I'll take some of Suspect Bucket's advice too, probably do a mixture. and I'll have a neighbor be my guinea pig and taste test it for me - IF I use salt it will be very little and the "less sodium" soy sauce which really isn't that much less - need to keep it super low - due her issues at the moment - Maybe bit of MSG just to kick it up a bit without adding too much sodium.

Buying a whole chicken - heck no - that's not going to happen haha. And take out I have no clue of know how much salt will be in it. I'm the naggy grandson, doctor says extremely low sodium, can't even use that crappy potassium fake salt as it interferes with one of her medications or something else, so that's all there is too it haha.

Thanks for all the info - I'll let you turns out tomorrow night. If I screw up and make it, horrid I'll try again on Thursday.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 4, 2017

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Suspect Bucket posted:

and will PIERCE THE TAINT

It's Serranos though, that's not TO bad.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Megasabin posted:

After many years it's time to get a new rice cooker, and boy is it harder to pick one than I thought. I've done some research, and there are a ton of choices.

I guess I have one main question: Is this induction heating thing a gimmick or actually worth the extra 100 dollars it tacks onto the price?

Anyone have general recommendations for a good 3-5 cup rice cooker?

I've been very happy with the Aroma, it's inexpensive and makes good rice.

The one minor issue I have with it is that the steam basket is very shallow- I can steam up dumplings just fine, but bao are almost too tall and end up sticking a bit to the lid. I don't steam that often though so it's not a big deal.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I'll take some of Suspect Bucket's advice too, probably do a mixture. and I'll have a neighbor be my guinea pig and taste test it for me - IF I use salt it will be very little and the "less sodium" soy sauce which really isn't that much less - need to keep it super low - due her issues at the moment - Maybe bit of MSG just to kick it up a bit without adding too much sodium.

Less sodium soy sauce is still a lot of sodium. 570mg per tablespoon. What tolerances are you looking at?

Maybe make her a nice baked oatmeal instead. That's delicious and super comforting.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'm looking to make a cheese sauce tonight, and I understand that sodium citrate is the magic ingredient that makes it super easy. I have also heard that instead of having to buy the actual powder, you can add some velveeta or other "cheese product" that contains sodium citrate and use that. (I'm not against buying the powder, but I don't think my local market is going to carry that) Is there a good ratio for using that? Or somewhere to start? I'd prefer to use a much real cheese as possible. Also, do I need any other liquid to thin it out? Thanks all for the help.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 4, 2017

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
hi, i'm stupid, what is the most simple recipe for chicken soup? I have some leftover chicken but I literally never cooked soup before.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
With leftover chicken I would cook some vegetables in chicken stock then add the cut up chicken leftovers at the end. If you cook the chicken again trying to make stock it's just going to be overcooked chicken in water.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Tired Moritz posted:

hi, i'm stupid, what is the most simple recipe for chicken soup? I have some leftover chicken but I literally never cooked soup before.

I won't have real numbers since I just kind of wing my recipe, but here's what I'd do:

Take 1 medium onion, 2 celery ribs and a few carrots. Dice the onion and depending on how firm you like veggies in soup either slice or dice the carrots and celery. I prefer them soft so I typically go small . If you like firmer, use larger pieces. Cook the onion in a little fat (chicken fat would be great, bacon grease might be ok, oil is fine) over medium heat until softened. I also salt my onions at this point. After softened, toss in a bay leaf and some thyme and cook for about a minute, stirring constantly. Deglaze the pan with a little chicken stock. Pour in a few large cans or boxes of low sodium chicken broth - quick look says 8 cups should do. Bring everything to a simmer and add the celery and carrots. Simmer for 5-10 minutes until veggies are tender.

While the stock is simmering, cut up or pull your chicken into bite sized pieces and cook your noodles in a separate pot. Technically you could cook your noodles in the soup, but I don't like it. Cooking separately gives you more control.

After the veggies are tender, add the cooked chicken and cooked noodles to the pot and simmer for a few minutes until everything is heated through. Remove the Bay Leaf and if you were using whole sprigs of fresh thyme the remains of those pieces. If you wanted to add parsley, do so at this time.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

Less sodium soy sauce is still a lot of sodium. 570mg per tablespoon. What tolerances are you looking at?

Maybe make her a nice baked oatmeal instead. That's delicious and super comforting.

I switched out the soy sauce with some balsamic and rice vinegar, and a very very tiny dash of sweet soy sauce, tiny bit of citric acid and very very tiny bit of msg - looking for as low sodium as possible. I wish I would have wrote down exactly what I did she gobbled it up and saied it has some flavor, unlike that god awful dried out whatever piece of meat and obviously mashed potatoes from powder that they tried to give her. As long as she eats I am happy. I'll make her some fresh mashed potatoes tomorrow. Those I am pretty good at, and I'll make her some pasta with a pesto sauce - minus the pine nuts but with extra garlic.

Thanks for the help - she actually ate - and it made me very happy! -

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Aside from chopping them fine, and using them in place of garlic, what are some other good uses for garlic stems?

If it matters, the asian market where I can get them sells very long and straight ones bundled together, not the curly ones a quick Google search showed.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Do you mean garlic scapes? They're good in pesto, or anywhere you'd use scallions. Or you can just stir fry them.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, scapes. They're a good twenty inches long at least, and pretty straight, with no tips or bulbs.
So far, I've just chopped them like chives and threw them into mashed potatoes. Very mild. It's what I've always imagined raw garlic should be like.

Think I'll try this next:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U2NBWRsYOc

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Make kimchi

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Anyone have a recommendation for a good peanut sauce recipe? I'm trying to find something that replicates the smoothness of the restaurant experience, but with more kick.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i got chu mayne

http://shesimmers.com/2009/03/how-to-make-thai-peanut-sauce-my-moms.html

easily the best recipe ive made for peanut sauce

lasts for a few weeks in the fridge too

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Make kimchi

I would love to do cubed daikon kimchi, but I don't know how much salt & water I'd need.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

I would love to do cubed daikon kimchi, but I don't know how much salt & water I'd need.

I'm sure there's plenty of recipes on the Googles that would have measurements, possibly both volumetric and weight based.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a good peanut sauce recipe? I'm trying to find something that replicates the smoothness of the restaurant experience, but with more kick.

I lost my recipie years ago but if by kick you mean spice - hot chili oil. - I normally make my own with some (untoasted) sesame oil, heated up with crushed red pepper flakes and some hungarian hot paprika. I use a candy thermometer to make sure the oil doesn't get too hot while stirring to to infuse the capsascin and ya know so it doesn't burst into flames. Always better next day but works in a pinch in a few minutes.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

GQ thread - I am looking to get a new natural gas grill for my backyard patio. Initial thoughts landed me on a Weber, but the price made me decide to explore other options. After exploring other options I came back to Weber and I am considering one of their Genesis line models. My original wants had a four burner in mind so the Genesis II E-410 looked like a winner which has an open base (not worried about storage) and seemed good but the porcelain/cast grates had me second guessing. So then I turned to the LX E-340 which is a three burner model with a side burner that I don't care one bit for but it has stainless steel grates like their SUMMIT line so I think I would be willing to compromise both on burner count and the additional couple hundred bucks.

Am I right in my line of thinking for this? The price doesn't make me cringe too bad compared to the SUMMIT line which is more than I want to spend on a grill for the time being. Should I go for the 3 burner and better grates or go for cooking power and settle for less than stellar grates?

I enjoy grilling a lot and my wife was recently diagnosed Celiac so grilled meats/veggies will be a major part of our diet going forward. We can't use our existing smaller grill because of the kinds of food we have cooked on it make it no longer safe for her to eat food from and I have wanted a bigger one since building our house a few years ago. It is one of the few blessings we get to have because gluten is now the devil.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

My basic recipe is coconut milk, creamy peanut butter, kecap manis (sweet Indonesian soy sauce), ginger syrup and sambal.

Real easy and rich n tasty

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I enjoy grilling a lot and my wife was recently diagnosed Celiac so grilled meats/veggies will be a major part of our diet going forward. We can't use our existing smaller grill because of the kinds of food we have cooked on it make it no longer safe for her to eat food from and I have wanted a bigger one since building our house a few years ago. It is one of the few blessings we get to have because gluten is now the devil.
Is this needed? My celiac friends just ask me to wash the grill and cook gluten free items first. I mean, by all means, get a bigger fancier BBQ, but you also don't have to limit yourself to grilling meats and veggies, plenty of gluten free things to eat from the kitchen. There are also ways of limiting cross contamination were you to have items with gluten around (http://www.celiac.ca/?page_id=679)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone wanna help solve the mystery of who is eating my friend's peppers?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Looks like hornworm damage. Check under the leaves by the stems.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Looks like hornworm damage. Check under the leaves by the stems.

Bastard hornworms!! They make it almost impossible to grow tomatoes in my side yard, those fucker keep coming back every year x.x. Back yard really never seems to get them, weirdly enough.

Also, whoever is asking about a grill, I can only recommend that whatever you get, make sure it has a side burner. It's insanely handy to have a gas burner handy to cook side dishes while grilling. Also, you always have a backup cooking option if the power goes out and you loose your electric cookery. Also, bonus if the grill has a warrantee of some kind for +2 years. Grills get a lot of abuse, and OEM parts can be a bitch to source if something goes wrong.

Also get some spare grill grates for your grilling setup so you can swap out any that might be gluten contaminated and sanitize them seperately.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 6, 2017

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
Anyone have recommendations for a try-hard roast turkey recipe? I've been conscripted into thanksgiving duty and I want to make something nice.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

punched my v-card at camp posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a try-hard roast turkey recipe? I've been conscripted into thanksgiving duty and I want to make something nice.

A) Turchetta

B) Baking steel turkey (I think you can also use a baking stone or cast iron griddle for this)

If you're in charge of the whole dinner, Kenji's stuffing waffles and hasselback potato gratin are also big hits

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 6, 2017

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Debone, stuff, and roast. I'm still not 100% clear on the difference between a ballotine and a galantine, but it's one of those. As a bonus, this gets you the turkey bones to make stock with and up your gravy game.

Chef John's got the oddly enunciated hookup: https://youtu.be/q0TfYHzEOcs

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Tendales posted:

Debone, stuff, and roast. I'm still not 100% clear on the difference between a ballotine and a galantine, but it's one of those. As a bonus, this gets you the turkey bones to make stock with and up your gravy game.

Galantine is poached and served cold in a jelly of it's poaching stock. Ballotine is served warm sans jelly but with a glaze or sauce made from the stock..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Tendales posted:

He really is the Bob Ross of cooking.

"Ooops I made a mistake here! That's okay we can fix that, don't stress out!"