Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

~*~ when china rules the world ~*~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
To be fair it's probably an honest mistake. Highway police in Japan apparently run with their flashing lights on all the time in the passing lane for no reason other than to say "get out of the way". Scared the living poo poo out of me once.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Ignorance is not exemption.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Tsuru posted:

To be fair it's probably an honest mistake. Highway police in Japan apparently run with their flashing lights on all the time in the passing lane for no reason other than to say "get out of the way". Scared the living poo poo out of me once.

Flashing lights are common in East Asia, sirens aren't. Unless you're a garbage truck, then anything goes.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

Ignorance is not exemption.

You're absolutely right... They totally deserved to almost get shot in the face.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Tsuru posted:

You're absolutely right... They totally deserved to almost get shot in the face.

That's intellectually dishonest and you know it. If the cops were trying to pull him over and he appeared to be fleeing they have every reason to think he's dangerous. The cops can't possibly be expected to know all the cultural ins and outs of every possible visitor to the US. That's on the tourists to figure out.

Besides, as others have said, lights are common in East Asia, sirens not so much.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

That's intellectually dishonest and you know it. If the cops were trying to pull him over and he appeared to be fleeing they have every reason to think he's dangerous. The cops can't possibly be expected to know all the cultural ins and outs of every possible visitor to the US. That's on the tourists to figure out.

Besides, as others have said, lights are common in East Asia, sirens not so much.
If you were talking about people being idiots and getting robbed or worse when wandering into the wrong neighborhoods, I would agree. But this is law enforcement we are talking about... Not even the cops in South Africa are this unhinged.

"But you see, he was FLEEING"

So loving what? I fleed from the the police once when I was being a dumb teenager and they didn't feel the need to pull a gun on me when they stopped me.

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 6, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tsuru posted:

If you were talking about people being idiots and getting robbed or worse when wandering into the wrong neighborhoods, I would agree. But this is law enforcement we are talking about... Not even the cops in South Africa are this unhinged.
You mean this unhinged? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n8KrdixvZc&t=114s

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 6, 2017

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
I don't know, were they tourists as well?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

"You're for poo poo, you!"

Watch some of the other SAPS Flying Squad videos, that cop reminds me of Judge Dredd mixed with Keystone Cops.
At one point he waves other police cars out of the way so he doesn't hit them, while in traffic.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

I once saw a Chinese group struggle with a stick shift when they obviously had no loving idea what they were doing. Was supremely tempted to call the cops on them but I ain't no snitch

also lol "where road conditions are good and people obey traffic rules."

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

oohhboy posted:

Christ, $38 Million for an old saucer.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-41480690

It doesn't matter how rare it is, you loving paid $38 Million for a loving saucer, you would have a poo poo load more if Mao didn't smash everything. I assume he brought it to launder money. I hope it's a forgery for infinite loss of face.

Eat the rich.

If there's anything you should know about the art auction market it's that the whole thing is a money embezzling scheme, be it in China or anywhere else. The art market is the second only to drugs as the largest unregulated market in the world. Real estate probably isn't far behind. If you need to clean or move a poo poo load of money the art market is a pretty good way to do it.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Tsuru posted:

"But you see, he was FLEEING"

So loving what? I fleed from the the police once when I was being a dumb teenager and they didn't feel the need to pull a gun on me when they stopped me.

Dude, anyone with internet access can't argue that he/she doesn't know what's in store when you go to the US. It is what it is.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

eggyolk posted:

If there's anything you should know about the art auction market it's that the whole thing is a money embezzling scheme

Postmodernism finally makes sense.

e: Also from the Middle East thread:

Volkerball posted:

Eh, I don't think it's a conscious effort. You seem to be viewing the Saudi military as a part of a modern day totalitarian state, but you almost have to view it like a medieval feudal system. Some corrupt late stage monarchy where everyone is competing and fighting over status. The military is absolutely crippled by it. When something does kick off you get poo poo like the national guard undermining the army because this prince doesn't like that prince and he doesn't want him to get credit for running a successful operation, and it's stupid little squabbles like that all the way down. I mean, you could make the argument that it's an effective way to keep a military from functioning properly if that was your goal, but at the same time, there's a reason feudalism largely died off. This type of thing is present in those sorts of systems all through history.

Guess where I thought of first.

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 6, 2017

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

WarpedNaba posted:

Postmodernism finally makes sense.

e: Also from the Middle East thread:

Guess where I thought of first.

The Grand Duchy of Hesse?

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
I asked my dad about that antiques show and I think it's called 寻宝. It looks like earlier this year they renamed the show to 我有传家宝 and stopped featuring any fake antiques. I guess the authorities were getting pissed off with the show revealing how much counterfeiting was going on, so they changed it to an hour long program dedicated to jerking off to 5,000 years of cultural artifacts/investments. The website for the old show leads only to the new show and the video archives only go back to around March.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Wasn't 18 too old for Mao ?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nickmeister posted:

Wasn't 18 too old for Mao ?

It is double digits.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Why are donkeys facing their 'biggest ever crisis'?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-41524710http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-41524710

Guess who

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

donkey dick, tiger dick, its all good

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Link broken. Here you go. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-41524710

If they could grind down people for dick pills they would with bonus maybe dead babies. Not to excuse the west grinding down mummies for parties and doing lines.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Donkey tastes really good tho.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Jesus. Of all the animals to be struggling, I would definitely not have guessed donkeys.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
if it takes pressure off endangered species that you can't easily ranch i'm all for it

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The problem is that they are killing donkeys that are not theirs depriving people of their livelihoods and basic needs.

If they were farming them for dick pills that would be something I could get behind even though that is a waste of a donkey like animal ground down for dick pills.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Coolguye posted:

if it takes pressure off endangered species that you can't easily ranch i'm all for it

Did you miss the part where they are not that easy to grow? Donkey tastes really, really good and we would definitely have more of them around if they were easy to get.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Donkeys are hard to farm? They seem cheap and abundant enough for people to purchase them not unlike getting a truck for work, which in this case can be fetching water. I think it is more of an infrastructure issue than biological.

Never the less, China dick pills always produces some form of pointless suffering that never fail to :ughh:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I just won all the face. My wife is having a housewarming party with all of her Chinese colleagues. Most of them are married, but their husbands live in other countries for work. I surprised my wife with some nice earrings as a birthday present in front of her colleagues. The jealousy was palpable.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

oohhboy posted:

Never the less, China dick pills always produces some form of pointless suffering that never fail to :ughh:

I had no idea what donkey gelatin was supposed to cure so I looked up its entry on the ever reliable baike.

in short, donkey gelatin is supposed to do all this:

1) improve neurological function
2) slow down the aging process
3) mitigate arthritis
4) boost the immune system
5) fight cancer
6) provide calcium
7) beautify skin
8) prevent miscarriages
9) dilate blood vessels

so nothing dick related but a panacea for everything else

edit:

an amusing anecdote from wikipedia on the stuff

quote:

According to a ca. 1723 account by the French Jesuits Dominique Parrenin, there was a well in Dong'e which was normally kept closed and sealed, and which was only opened when water was taken to be used in preparation of ejiao for the emperor's court.[3]

According to Parennin, the product was traditionally prepared during the late fall and winter (from after the harvest and until the beginning of March). It was supposed to be made from the skin of a recently killed well-nourished black donkey.[3] Since the supply of this material was rather limited, it was said that a large amount of "fake" ejiao was also manufactured, using skins from mules, horses, camels, pigs, and sometimes, it was said, even from old shoes; a bit of "real stuff" was added to it, to deceive consumers.[3]

big time bisexual fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 7, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Darkest Auer posted:

Did you miss the part where they are not that easy to grow? Donkey tastes really, really good and we would definitely have more of them around if they were easy to get.

homie I grew up in a farming family I know exactly the problems involved in growing donkeys, bit compared to rhino, tiger, elephant, and the other dumb bullshit obsessions the Chinese have, donkeys are loving TRIVIAL to raise.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

oohhboy posted:

Donkeys are hard to farm? They seem cheap and abundant enough for people to purchase them not unlike getting a truck for work, which in this case can be fetching water. I think it is more of an infrastructure issue than biological.

it's the same question of why don't we eat xyz animal that we raise a lot. like horse, for example. have you ever eaten horse? it is loving delicious. but nobody gets a horse steak on a night out on the town because horses are loving obnoxious as hell to raise when compared to actual slaughter animals like cows, chickens, and pigs.

there's a number of challenges to raising a donkey but the one I will pick on here is that they're actually nontrivially smart. traditional slaughter animals are dumb as loving rocks and this is to the benefit of the rancher. if your cows are so loving dumb that they need to be reminded to come into the loving barn because it's cold outside then the other 12 hours of the day you can just leave them chewing their cud and staring into the infinite mysteries of the dirt.

donkeys are not like that. they are smart enough to need toys and they get destructive if too bored, like an energetic dog. issue is this is not some 20 pound mutt this is a couple hundred pound animal with a real opinion. they are also smart enough to require social stimulation beyond a vocalization or two, so they also need actual friends. but animal social bonds are no less finicky and no more predictable than human ones so raising them gets complicated when a donkey needs a few more months to be ready for harvest but his best friend is up for slaughter.

there's more but this is enough to demonstrate the very real problems presented by ranching donkeys. again, however, the big difference here is that it's simply hard to raise and reproduce these animals in captivity, not flatly impossible as is true of most of the other animals the Chinese love to harvest.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

big time bisexual posted:

an amusing anecdote from wikipedia on the stuff

I love these old books about China because people love to say all the ridiculous poo poo here is Mao's fault or "it's a developing country" or whatever but you read books from Jesuits 400 years ago and nothing has changed, at all.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

nerdz posted:

How do you explain this poo poo then???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK1V14s66a0
We live on a dystopian hellplanet.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
If China ever develops critical faculties, that's gonna be its Star Wars Holiday Special someday.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Coolguye posted:

if your students are so loving dumb that they need to be reminded to come into the loving school because it's cold outside then the other 12 hours of the day you can just leave them chewing their cud and staring into the infinite mysteries of the dirt.

ftfy

VideoTapir posted:

If China ever develops critical faculties, that's gonna be its Star Wars Holiday Special someday.

I would destroy some Wookiee-Ookiees right now.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Grand Fromage posted:

I love these old books about China because people love to say all the ridiculous poo poo here is Mao's fault or "it's a developing country" or whatever but you read books from Jesuits 400 years ago and nothing has changed, at all.

quote:

it was said that a large amount of "fake" ejiao was also manufactured, using skins from mules, horses, camels, pigs, and sometimes, it was said, even from old shoes; a bit of "real stuff" was added to it, to deceive consumers.

The funny thing is, that glues (or say gels if you want to) from the hides of mamals are almost impossible to tell apart. It's the process of extraction gives it different colors or gel strenght. I've never put that stuff in my mouth, but I think you can smell differences.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The "dilates blood vessels" is the dick thing

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i watched The Road (https://vimeo.com/169221433) yesterday and boy oh boy that was a depressing film of corruption and chabuduo

also watched Dream Empire (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WavIAyp7-0E) which is a lot funnier until it gets depressing again. using foreigners to basically act like apartments are 'international' and get people to buy an apartment in the middle of nowhere (such as ~*~ Wenjiang, Chengdu ~*~)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jeoh posted:

using foreigners to basically act like apartments are 'international' and get people to buy an apartment in the middle of nowhere (such as ~*~ Wenjiang, Chengdu ~*~)

lol

Wenjiang is indeed the middle of nowhere and I got out of there as soon as I possibly could

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

is your face still on the pamphlet of your apartment complex

• Locked thread