Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

I've been called a SJW for calling out someone spouting racist bullshit before. It really is normalized to these fucks.

In schadenfreude news:
Rep. Tim Murphy resigns from Congress after allegedly asking woman to have abortion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Why would Nazi sympathisers even be playing a game where shooting Nazis is basically all there is to it? :confused:

Two possible reasons:

1. They're horribly addicted videogame nerds that can't stop themselves from playing a fun game.

2. They're Russian bots that just exist to be contrarian and prop up alt-right discourse.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Wheat Loaf posted:

Why would Nazi sympathisers even be playing a game where shooting Nazis is basically all there is to it? :confused:

They wouldn't be. They're just screaming at the Internet about it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The revelation that Milo Y uses "Kristallnacht" as an email password shouldn't be surprising but I still can't quite get past it.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The revelation that Milo Y uses "Kristallnacht" as an email password shouldn't be surprising but I still can't quite get past it.

I would call that foreshadowing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Jerry Cotton posted:

Did he kill himself because he had to open for Lewis loving Black?

believe it or not but LB was funny back then

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/UWXk2cQ.gifv

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dead link

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

I've never actually played a Wolfenstein game, but haven't they been about shooting Nazis since the series' inception? This isn't something new, why are these people even surprised?

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

SpacePig posted:

I've never actually played a Wolfenstein game, but haven't they been about shooting Nazis since the series' inception? This isn't something new, why are these people even surprised?

Yes. The original Wolfenstein 3D even had Mecha-Hitler as a boss.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

SpacePig posted:

Because this game is literally about slaughtering your way through a Nazi controlled america alongside the resistance movement. And it was planned to be this way before the Great Orange One was elected and the Alt-Right decided that being a nazi was a protected class.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Oh, sure. He stayed in just long enough to make that vote on 20-week abortions and then he steps down. loving rear end in a top hat.

:jerkbag:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

it's like the pedo from that band who used "ifuckchildren" or whatever as a password

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

acejackson42 posted:

The scream of fake news is going to be so, so loud over the next couple days, but holy mother of all hell, if that document trail is true and factual, this is absolutely mindbreaking.
An avowed white supremacist with literal Nazi beliefs was the President of the United States' right hand man for the majority of his first year as president
It's almost impossible to parse, given the implications.
I mean, I fully expect nothing to happen, but man, this is bad enough that something actually could happen.
If WaPo and the NYT pick up on this and flesh it out...

hahahha there will never be consequences for conservatives

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

believe it or not but LB was funny back then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPCB_pIiWDY

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

SpacePig posted:

Shooting foreign nazis is ok, shooting American nazis is unpatriotic. (some of the nazis in the new game are American, right?)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Kennel posted:

Shooting foreign nazis is ok, shooting American nazis is unpatriotic. (some of the nazis in the new game are American, right?)

The whole game is gonna take place in Nazi-occupied America. There are Nazis and Klansmen dancing in the streets. Maybe you’ll be able to shoot both!

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
Geez, between Wolfenstein 2 and Far Cry 5 this is going to be a therapeutic 6 months.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

the best part is that they all seem to be reacting to this:

https://twitter.com/wolfenstein/status/916075551382585344

which is dope as hell

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
to actually add something, is the schaden gonna be on America when he launches WW3 or all of us after the fact since there were so many warnings

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/916253750506999810

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

ghosthorse posted:

to actually add something, is the schaden gonna be on America when he launches WW3 or all of us after the fact since there were so many warnings

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/916253750506999810
it'll be on everyone who thinks that nuclear war can be more than a zero-sum game

https://twitter.com/SenJeffMerkley/status/915704243335700481/video/1
the EPA nominee for the Clean Air department is ignorant about basic chemistry and basic causality :chaostrump:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Kennel posted:

Speaking of American Nazis, have there been any updates from Far Cry 5, which I think takes place in a Nazi-controlled area of the American south?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

As far as I can tell they're keeping the crazy white people.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SpacePig posted:

Speaking of American Nazis, have there been any updates from Far Cry 5, which I think takes place in a Nazi-controlled area of the American south?

Currently set for a February 27 release date. They're a crazy right-wing doomsday cult instead of Nazis and it's Montana instead of the South, but it still fits the "gently caress up the crazy racists" feel-good video game narrative.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

TontoCorazon posted:

As far as I can tell they're keeping the crazy white people.

The game or the American South?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

spog posted:

Por que no los dos

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

spog posted:

Crazy white people are EVERWHERE. Trust me.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

sandoz posted:

hahahha there will never be consequences for conservatives

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Elizabethan Error posted:

it'll be on everyone who thinks that nuclear war can be more than a zero-sum game

that isn't what zero-sum game means :spergin:

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

that isn't what zero-sum game means :spergin:
:what: yes it is, neither side would 'win' = zero sum game.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Zero sum means that any gain comes 1:1 at someone else's expense, and vice versa. Nuclear war is negative sum: any "victory" would be nowhere near enough to offset the costs to everyone involved.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I thought zero-sum game meant that you'd put as many resources into something as you would reasonably expect to get back if you succeed. Like, you spend as much as you make from the thing you're spending it on.

e2: Nope, misread the post. I also was wrong.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Elizabethan Error posted:

:what: yes it is, neither side would 'win' = zero sum game.

no it isn't.

"zero sum" means the sum of all moves in the game is zero. A poker game is a zero-sum game because for each dollar I win, you lose one. (Or the rest of the table loses one dollar distributed among them). A game of Hearts is a zero-sum game because for each trick I take, that's one trick you couldn't take. A game like football is not a zero-sum game, because my scoring a touchdown doesn't stop you from scoring a touchdown immediately afterwards, and doesn't subtract anything from your score.

"Zero sum" doesn't mean "everyone ends up with zero in the end" or "there are no winners." That wouldn't be a game at all -- that's just a disaster. Like nuclear war.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

No they don't calculate every possible state result of every state of every result of every state down the tree to infinity, but abso-loving-lutely yes they can calculate every possible move they can make, all of the possible future states of the next move, and every move the other person can make, down like at least ~20 moves. Its enough to beat anybody.

We're getting to where we can beat humans at Go now.

You're choosing to interpret what I said in a way that lets you strawman me and feel superior. It doesn't really mean you're right though.

https://www.quora.com/Can-a-human-win-in-chess-against-a-computer

Zaphod42 posted:

We're getting to where we can beat humans at Go now.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I knew he was a bot. I loving knew it

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

no it isn't.

"zero sum" means the sum of all moves in the game is zero. A poker game is a zero-sum game because for each dollar I win, you lose one. (Or the rest of the table loses one dollar distributed among them). A game of Hearts is a zero-sum game because for each trick I take, that's one trick you couldn't take. A game like football is not a zero-sum game, because my scoring a touchdown doesn't stop you from scoring a touchdown immediately afterwards, and doesn't subtract anything from your score.

"Zero sum" doesn't mean "everyone ends up with zero in the end" or "there are no winners." That wouldn't be a game at all -- that's just a disaster. Like nuclear war.

fair enough, probably should have gone with pyrrhic victory, that'll teach me to misread wikipedia blurbs.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Nuclear war isn't any kind of victory. It's "rocks fall, everyone dies."

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

https://twitter.com/barry_corindia/status/916150987387105280

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Meh. It's just one of those terms that everybody thinks means something different than it does, like "begs the question" or "literally."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

:thunk: