Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

At any rate, it's nice to see progress and cross-brand use in this day and age. I also like that they're supporting old hardware, sonos has always been pretty good about that. Playbar could definitely use a refresh but at this point I don't need bluetooth and thankfully my Samsung KS8000 can decode a 5.1 single or w/e via optical

tbh in retrospect I probably should have just done a proper 5.1 setup, truth be told. I didn't realize my space would actually accommodate it with some feng shui. But at this point I'm invested and I enjoy the sort of "always on," grouping, and ease of use with the app.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

So I know this isn't the best dollar per dB you can get, and thanks to the people that tried to direct me towards a better subwoofer life, but I went this route anyway because I'm lazy and poo poo.

But I wanted to say I bought these on SVS' Outlet scratch n dent sale, for $600 off each, and I'm amazed at how not really scratched they are. They're absolutely not perfect but tbh I think I could fix them to perfect with a little rubbing compound. Before I received them I was thinking "maybe I can make them better with some 1000 grit and then 2000 and then etc" but the damage isn't even really scratches (i.e. you can't catch a fingernail on them), they're really just marred slightly and you can't even see it from 3'+ away.

They got delivered today and I dragged em downstairs and hooked em up and that's as far as I've gotten but they're already shaking the house.

Small catte for scale:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just got this little thing for ~$150 on sale.

It's an Audio Pro Addon T3, very similar to the Marshall Kilburn, but better in every way. I'm amazed at how much sound (and bass!) they've managed to cram into such a tiny box, plus 30hrs of playback time at 50% volume.

Obviously it can't match my studio monitors + two 12" subs, but on a size:sound factor, it's way ahead.

If I was looking to add an easy straightforward stereo to my home, I would seriously consider the bigger T5 and T10 models, if they're anything like this little beast.

Audio Pro isn't really a manufacturer that's been on my radar before, but they definitely are now.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Oct 6, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

scrubs season six posted:

So I know this isn't the best dollar per dB you can get, and thanks to the people that tried to direct me towards a better subwoofer life, but I went this route anyway because I'm lazy and poo poo.

But I wanted to say I bought these on SVS' Outlet scratch n dent sale, for $600 off each, and I'm amazed at how not really scratched they are. They're absolutely not perfect but tbh I think I could fix them to perfect with a little rubbing compound. Before I received them I was thinking "maybe I can make them better with some 1000 grit and then 2000 and then etc" but the damage isn't even really scratches (i.e. you can't catch a fingernail on them), they're really just marred slightly and you can't even see it from 3'+ away.

They got delivered today and I dragged em downstairs and hooked em up and that's as far as I've gotten but they're already shaking the house.

Small catte for scale:

Need to upgrade the other speakers now...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

So I know this isn't the best dollar per dB you can get

But it is the best db per dollar. That is a very nice purchase.

For those that don't already know: subwoofers are about a whole lot more than how loud it can go. You can have a sub that cranks out all the "watts" but sounds like a fart through a megaphone. SVS is definitely the best quality bang for your buck. They're bulletproof and VERY capable.

Edit:
Hey what are all the cool kids getting for receivers nowadays? I need something for my living room TV. It's only stereo at the moment, and no sub and will probably stay that way unless I do some crazy in-wall setup or something which will probably never happen because 9' ceilings and exterior wall and it's open to the kitchen.
Anywho, I need something that's heavier on the video support than audio. 4k, HDR, and hdcp 2.2 in case I get a blu-ray or nVidia shield in there. Please and thank you.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 6, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

For those that don't already know: subwoofers are about a whole lot more than how loud it can go. You can have a sub that cranks out all the "watts" but sounds like a fart through a megaphone. SVS is definitely the best quality bang for your buck. They're bulletproof and VERY capable.

This is exactly the thing that makes me laugh about the loving AV industry, it's all a numbers game but the numbers are loving meaningless in most cases so finding a genuinely great product is really hard to do, particularly when speaker manufacturers tweak the figures so much.

Amp A: 3000w PMPO - the output an amp can do for a nanosecond before exploding (also known as; wattage ISL - if struck by lightning)
Speaker B: frequency response of 20hz-20khz - 20hz response is -15db and basically inaudible
TV C: contrast ratio of 10million:1 - test conducted in a pitch black room with the screen off to measure black level, white level only attained for a nanosecond before the screen burns out

So much bullshit.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Speaker B: frequency response of 20hz-20khz - 20hz response is -15db and basically inaudible

I see that a lot of spec sheets have started using -10dB instead of the old accepted standard of -3dB, if they even mention what the drop-off is. It's especially bad for anything that is marketed as trendy or targeted towards less-technical people who happen to like gadgets. Bluetooth speakers are really bad in this regard.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Hey what are all the cool kids getting for receivers nowadays? I need something for my living room TV. It's only stereo at the moment, and no sub and will probably stay that way unless I do some crazy in-wall setup or something which will probably never happen because 9' ceilings and exterior wall and it's open to the kitchen.
Anywho, I need something that's heavier on the video support than audio. 4k, HDR, and hdcp 2.2 in case I get a blu-ray or nVidia shield in there. Please and thank you.
I just got an Integra DTM-7 which is a stereo receiver with 4 HDCP 2.2 HDMI inputs and I really like it [except for the remote]. It was super easy to set up and sounds great. There's an Onkyo version which is pretty much the same thing but with a shorter warranty called the TX-8270, might be worth a look. When I was looking at surround receivers [in case you want more inputs or video options] I was leaning towards Yamaha since they seem to have the best reputation for reliability.

qirex fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 6, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

qirex posted:

I just got an Integra DTM-7 which is a stereo receiver with 4 HDCP 2.2 HDMI inputs and I really like it [except for the remote]. It was super easy to set up and sounds great. There's an Onkyo version which is pretty much the same thing but with a shorter warranty called the TX-8270, might be worth a look. When I was looking at surround receivers [in case you want more inputs or video options] I was leaning towards Yamaha since they seem to have the best reputation for reliability.

Holy poo poo I didn't know that 4K stereo receivers were even a thing! I was expecting suggestions for a 5.1 or 7.1.x, receiver.
I will have to check that out. Any other suggestions around that price range? $500 seems reasonable considering what I'm asking.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This is exactly the thing that makes me laugh about the loving AV industry, it's all a numbers game but the numbers are loving meaningless in most cases so finding a genuinely great product is really hard to do, particularly when speaker manufacturers tweak the figures so much.

Amp A: 3000w PMPO - the output an amp can do for a nanosecond before exploding (also known as; wattage ISL - if struck by lightning)
TV C: contrast ratio of 10million:1 - test conducted in a pitch black room with the screen off to measure black level, white level only attained for a nanosecond before the screen burns out

So much bullshit.

And people wonder why I just stick with Tannoy, SVS and higher-specced Pioneer* receivers...

*My newest Pioneer is a VSX-1015 that isn't even HDMI, so... I dunno what I'd get now.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

SVS makes nice products but hardly best bang for your buck. DIY route will yield better results for less money but requires work and some expertise.

Unless you meant for production ready and then I'd say SVS is right in there.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't know that 4K stereo receivers were even a thing! I was expecting suggestions for a 5.1 or 7.1.x, receiver.
I will have to check that out. Any other suggestions around that price range? $500 seems reasonable considering what I'm asking.
I think with only 2 speakers you have a lot of options, normally I'd recommend the AC4L refurb route but someone on the last page got a busted Denon that way.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah they're not the best bang for the buck by far, but they're the best bang for the bucks you pay for something you didn't make yourself.

I'd really rather run an IB setup or one of those horn loaded subs, but they're hardly viable for a 750 sq feet apartment :v:

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Wibla posted:

Yeah they're not the best bang for the buck by far, but they're the best bang for the bucks you pay for something you didn't make yourself.

I'd really rather run an IB setup or one of those horn loaded subs, but they're hardly viable for a 750 sq feet apartment :v:

I mean a flat pack from diysoundgroup.com and Stereo Integrity HT 18 v2 are probably the best budget bang for your buck if you're willing to go with DIY route. $275 for the subwoofer and enclosure. Then a Behringer inuke 3000DSP for $280. All in your under 600 bucks and have extra amp capacity if you want to build another.

Nothing store bought can come close to it but you're talking about some work and the biggest difference to me is the finish. Putting the flat pack together is easy for anyone but finishing the cabinet in something that looks nice is a lot more difficult for someone without experience.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Scrapez posted:

I mean a flat pack from diysoundgroup.com and Stereo Integrity HT 18 v2 are probably the best budget bang for your buck if you're willing to go with DIY route. $275 for the subwoofer and enclosure. Then a Behringer inuke 3000DSP for $280. All in your under 600 bucks and have extra amp capacity if you want to build another.

Nothing store bought can come close to it but you're talking about some work and the biggest difference to me is the finish. Putting the flat pack together is easy for anyone but finishing the cabinet in something that looks nice is a lot more difficult for someone without experience.

Yeah, I fully agree with you there.

Sadly, I live in Norway and my options are more limited. I got an SB12-Plus for a few hundred dollars used, it's more than enough for my needs.

The next time I move, I'm probably going for an IB setup with 4 or 5x18" in a suitably sized home theatre room :sun:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

^^^ but you need a lot of amp for boxes like that. My Bill Fitzmaurice Table Tuba has an 8" driver and cruises along on a 100w plate amp and still whomps the poo poo out of the room. A THT would put an awful lot of subs to shame on no voltage whatsoever.

I'm an efficiency man though so ymmv.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I'm a brute force kind of guy with how cheap power is these days but I appreciate an efficient enclosure design nonetheless.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

KozmoNaut posted:

I see that a lot of spec sheets have started using -10dB instead of the old accepted standard of -3dB, if they even mention what the drop-off is. It's especially bad for anything that is marketed as trendy or targeted towards less-technical people who happen to like gadgets. Bluetooth speakers are really bad in this regard.

Definitive Technology are really bad about this too. I mean, they make a nice speaker (I have a pair of StudioMonitor 350s and they are pretty good) but DT quotes their low end response as 26 Hz. No tolerance stated but I can assure you 26 Hz is not coming out at anything even resembling a usable level.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Maybe their definition is "the woofer moves".

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I liked my Definitive speakers but going back to a rectangular box with a port is like "oh yeah, that's what that sounds like." To their credit they were efficient and flexible to position.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

KozmoNaut posted:

Maybe their definition is "the woofer moves".

Oh it definitely moves, it's just masked by everyother sound :v:

They're weird speakers. They don't start to sound good until you really put the screws to them. They also need a more stout amp than you would expect too. Side effect of that huge passive radiator I guess.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hey does anyone have a link to a good guide for setting crossover and sub levels? I've been earballing mine and am pretty happy but I found my old analog SPL meter so I figure I should do it right. The new receiver doesn't do test tones so I'll need those too. Wait, it apparently does.

qirex fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 6, 2017

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Repost from the HDTV thread since I'm not sure if this is a receiver issue or a TV one.

This is probably outside the scope of this thread but I thought I'd check here since googling specific terms makes it really hard to come up with an answer.

I've got an LGB6 and a fairly old Denon 1911 that I've been using together with the Denon functioning as an HDMI switcher for some time now and it's worked fine, but today I randomly decided to try and get an ARC solution working to make my life easier. I've got the basic setup working just fine, but for some reason the audio fed from the TV to the receiver refuses to use a Dolby Digital signal when available, and I'm stuck using ProLogic II or NEO:DTS surround settings on my receiver when previously with the device plugged directly into the receiver it would switch automatically. I've got the ARC input settings on my receiver set to auto decode, which I believe is the correct setting. However, under the ARC sound settings on the LG, the output is locked into PCM (greyed out). Everything I've read seems to indicate that even though the receiver is older it should still be capable of accepting a 5.1 signal over an HDMI ARC connection, but currently the TV won't allow me to change the output.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ARC is a dark, twisted world. Can you test if the optical output will pass Dolby Digital?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

qirex posted:

Hey does anyone have a link to a good guide for setting crossover and sub levels? I've been earballing mine and am pretty happy but I found my old analog SPL meter so I figure I should do it right. The new receiver doesn't do test tones so I'll need those too. Wait, it apparently does.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/tuning-your-subwoofer-rew-how-to.728289/

This is a good guide for doing it with REW and a mic. This will yield the best results.

timma85
Feb 13, 2006

qirex posted:

I think with only 2 speakers you have a lot of options, normally I'd recommend the AC4L refurb route but someone on the last page got a busted Denon that way.

I just got a Yamaha RX-A760 from AC4L that is working well. I figured out how to get ARC working and get it hooked into my WiFi. So far I'm glad I went the AC4L route and I'm relieved I don't have to deal with their return process which sounds like a headache.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Scrapez posted:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/tuning-your-subwoofer-rew-how-to.728289/

This is a good guide for doing it with REW and a mic. This will yield the best results.
That is incredibly in-depth, thanks. Not sure about taking all that on just yet but it's a useful thing to bookmark.

timma85
Feb 13, 2006
Welp I spoke to soon. Count me as another AC4L customer with a dead receiver.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

drat. I have a replacement showing up Wednesday. I'm all kind of worried that the one I sent back will work for them.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Need to upgrade the other speakers now...

Nah, they good. If I used this for music a lot I'd prefer something like B&Ws new 700 series (I really like B&Ws sound for music) but for HT these things are tough to beat. These are basically Revels, before Harman split off the high end Infinitys into Revel.

They only real question, which I've yet to determine, is whether the powered sealed 12" in the towers are going to completely go to waste now that I have much more capable subs. If they were crossed over at 150 or something they'd still get a good workout even if I set them to small and set the crossover on the receiver to 80 or so. But they're crossed over at 80 so anything higher goes to the 6.5". Maybe they'll still get a fair amount of LFE just from the roll off below 80 Hz, but I don't know yet. I kinda doubt it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Will the play one be avail for pre order on amazon?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Nah, they good. If I used this for music a lot I'd prefer something like B&Ws new 700 series (I really like B&Ws sound for music) but for HT these things are tough to beat. These are basically Revels, before Harman split off the high end Infinitys into Revel.

They only real question, which I've yet to determine, is whether the powered sealed 12" in the towers are going to completely go to waste now that I have much more capable subs. If they were crossed over at 150 or something they'd still get a good workout even if I set them to small and set the crossover on the receiver to 80 or so. But they're crossed over at 80 so anything higher goes to the 6.5". Maybe they'll still get a fair amount of LFE just from the roll off below 80 Hz, but I don't know yet. I kinda doubt it.

After a couple hours of fiddling I think maybe the way to go is to set the L+R towers to large and then set the subs to LFE+Main. The towers will do their thing as well as they can down to ~30 Hz or so but I won't lost any LFE since everything is also going to the subs anyway.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

After a couple hours of fiddling I think maybe the way to go is to set the L+R towers to large and then set the subs to LFE+Main. The towers will do their thing as well as they can down to ~30 Hz or so but I won't lost any LFE since everything is also going to the subs anyway.

Question is with different drivers doing the same job, are they in phase? You could ironically be using more drivers to get less output if they're not moving together... Your subs could be stomping the gently caress out of the room but if the drivers on the towers aren't moving at the exact same time you could effectively be using them to suck low end out of the room.

I find it's far more effort than it's worth to accurately sort phase issues on setups like that when I can just set the crossover so the subs to do everything from 80hz down and only have to worry about room placement for them.

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

Anyone have experience with Definitive BP9040s? They briefly dropped to $519.99/each today on Amazon and I am wondering if that is a good price. I'd be replacing a pair of Polk RTi4s, Polk CSi3, and an Elemental Designs A2 - 300 sub.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My Jamo 8" powered sub has served me well for about 5 years now however the 'auto on' switch that I have used for its entire life has stopped working.

it turns itself on no problem when it detects input but it wont actually turn itself off any more.

is this something that is relatively simple to fix?

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Can anyone recommend a good 5.1 setup? I was considering maybe some floor speakers and maybe bookshelf or satellite speakers for the rear speakers. I'm in an apartment so loud is not what I'm looking for, just mainly sound quality. I just have no idea where to start really, so I appreciate a nudge in the right direction. My budget is $2k for the entire system.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

For $2k I'd probably go $400-500 on a sub, $500-600 on a receiver and the rest on speakers. That said I'd personally start with 2.1 and go from there but I'm so drat picky. There's many options right now, especially for speakers so it's going to come down to what you like. Are there stores in your area you can check out?

Generally I'd recommend either 5 identical speakers [which can be tricky] or 4 identical bookshelves and a center with the same drivers as the bookshelves. There's decent deals on floorstanding speakers too if you shop carefully [plus you won't need stands for them].

Disclaimer I have not heard any of these things in person, it's just stuff people like on the internet.
Here's a sample system I slapped together on Crutchfield, you could demo these speakers at Best Buy

You could do a similar system with JBL Studio 230/235C which could also be found at retail but most of the "action" is in internet direct brands nowadays.

Here's a Hsu package.

Here's 5.0 from Ascend Acoustics

An Aperion 5.1 package

Home Theater Direct

Internet super-favorites Q Acoustics and Chane are too popular and are having supply issues at the moment but might be worth keeping an eye on. Also don't forget to budget for stands, wall mounts, etc.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ascend is my go to recommendation for speakers at any price point above $300 and below $3000 or so. I've heard all of them except their towers or ribbon tweetered ones and I think they're all great.

I use 4 of their HTM-200s in my computer room but that'd be a little weak for a HT setup.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I almost bought Sierra 1s this time around but the deal I got on my Cantons was too good to pass up. I'd like to listen to them some time, I've heard so many good things plus the whole made in USA out of mostly sustainable materials bit gives me the warm & fuzzies. People on AVS are insane for their ribbon tweeters, to the point that they're eagerly paying $1200/pair for the smaller model Sierra Luna for surrounds. People who have listened to the Sierra 1 and 2 side by side report they're not actually that different which says a lot about the design of the speaker over the tweeter itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
I have a tiny room in need of a subwoofer. I share a wall with a neighbor and I don't need to rattle windows or anything like that. Which of these is better?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=desktop

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090602&p_id=8248&seq=1&format=2