Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

spog posted:

Except, you know, Moneyball didn't. But don't let that stop the professional victim.

It's in his post history in this very thread, dude.

The fact that "don't call people 'it'" is this insanely unreasonable request that you all have to circle the wagons to defend against says everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

It's in his post history in this very thread, dude.

The fact that "don't call people 'it'" is this insanely unreasonable request that you all have to circle the wagons to defend against says everything.

No it isn't.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
The people that refuse to call TB by her preferred pronoun are ultimately the ones dragging the thread down. Somehow people here can demonstrate courtesy and decency in every other aspect but honoring a simple request by TB is a bridge too far :psyduck:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Oh that post exists, but it was misunderstood and this is the only time I will address that.

Proceed with posting about being bad with money and if anyone has an issue beyond that, I have provided ways to contact me.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

spog posted:

No it isn't.

Fake news!

Moneyball posted:

Oh that post exists, but it was misunderstood and this is the only time I will address that.

Proceed with posting about being bad with money and if anyone has an issue beyond that, I have provided ways to contact me.
Or you could just apologize, the way humans do to other humans when they call those humans "it."

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Or you could just apologize, the way humans do to other humans when they call those humans "it."

I guess in that case I'm still waiting for you to apologize for calling me a creepy stalker when I correctly referred to you as "she" once like two years ago.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Fake news!

He/she/it - a choice of three pronouns.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Droo posted:

I guess in that case I'm still waiting for you to apologize for calling me a creepy stalker when I correctly referred to you as "she" once like two years ago.

I called you a creepy stalker for popping up out of nowhere to post hateful poo poo about me, the way creepy stalkers do.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spog posted:

People are never 'it', even conditionally. C'mon you don't gotta be lovely about this too.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

spog posted:

Humans are not called it. Someone even patiently explained that to Moneyball and he still doubled down. This is literally the smallest possible speck of respect a person can grant another person, and you guys still think it's more than a black woman deserves.

Loosen the strap on your MAGA hat and think for a second about how you would react if I called anyone here "it."

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Was that even a serious post or just trying to be funny? That was much more benign than I thought it would be. Seems like such a throwaway.

Also, how do you guys even know what race/gender people are here?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

ate all the Oreos posted:

People are never 'it', even conditionally. C'mon you don't gotta be lovely about this too.

Sometimes they are, like when you say it's me, it's him, it's her.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Humans are not called it. Someone even patiently explained that to Moneyball and he still doubled down. This is literally the smallest possible speck of respect a person can grant another person, and you guys still think it's more than a black woman deserves.

I resent you referring to me as a 'guy'

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

spog posted:

When TB asked Moneyball not to call her 'it' he couldve just said, 'OK, I'll keep that in mind' and refer to her as 'she'. Then it wouldn't drag on to this point.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Koalas March posted:

it's just one more reminder how people can otherize you and deny you personhood.
Since she regularly denies respect to all others, why should she herself be entitled to such an excess of respect? When she apparently define literally every single other poster as a member of the opposing faction, is there even a point in engaging her?

I admit that I hold similar extremist views (but on the far right), but at least I can understand where the left is coming from. I don't agree with the left, but I understand their position. Whereas she is batshit crazy, pure and simple.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Not only does Moneyball refuse to apologize for calling me "it," I got a probation for making a joke in another thread that mods consider me an "it" now. They dehumanize you and then they punish you for observing that you have been dehumanized, and if this teeny tiny online instance of bigotry is too much for you guys to handle think about what it's like in real life.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

John Smith posted:

Since she regularly denies respect to all others, why should she herself be entitled to such an excess of respect? When she apparently define literally every single other poster as a member of the opposing faction, is there even a point in engaging her?

I admit that I hold similar extremist views (but on the far right), but at least I can understand where the left is coming from. I don't agree with the left, but I understand their position. Whereas she is batshit crazy, pure and simple.

Please don't make things worse right now.

I offered a way to contact me to discuss things, I'm not going to here, and that is how that will go. Move on, everyone, unless you would like to discuss it in a PM or email. Thanks.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
You know, guys, I don't think a goon project, only with brain problems and money, is a very good idea.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Wow, I see this a hot button issue.

I do wanna take this time to use this as a "teachable moment" and apologize to MB. In hindsight I should've left it at my opinion on the dehumanization of black folks and not offered my two cents about what I think he should or shouldn't do in his own sub.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
I wholeheartedly support the idea of a forums based donation fund because I'm going to post it in this thread so drat fast.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Moneyball posted:

Please don't make things worse right now.

I offered a way to contact me to discuss things, I'm not going to here, and that is how that will go. Move on, everyone, unless you would like to discuss it in a PM or email. Thanks.

Just apologize for calling me "it." What is so hard about this. I'm sorry that you find being called out for incredible rudeness inconvenient, but that's the price you pay for being incredibly rude. Apologize, like you would do if you had been incredibly rude to a person and not an "it."

What are you so afraid of?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

potatoducks posted:

I wholeheartedly support the idea of a forums based donation fund because I'm going to post it in this thread so drat fast.

Based on my anecdotal experience, this would result in someone stealing all the money and disappearing like 90% of the time.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Droo posted:

Based on my anecdotal experience, this would result in someone stealing all the money and disappearing like 90% of the time.

That's definitely a risk, but there are ways to curtail it - paying out funds directly to the entities the beneficiary needs to pay, for instance. No one should ever donate money to a charity they don't trust though - the thread will still be beneficial for its discussion of the financial challenges that minorities face.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Droo posted:

I'm actually very interested in this project. I'm not rich at all but a not-insignificant amount of my income (after bills and savings and stuff ofc) goes to helping friends and friends-of-friends and friends-of-friends-of-friends in crushing poverty make rent/pay small fines to get their car back/etc. And I'd really like to see if these kinds of actions could be organized effectively to both pool larger amounts of money and reach more people (while somehow still excluding scammers).

e: Is there a group brainstorming it already somewhere, or are we still waiting for the main thread or w/e?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Should just get someone from Goonswarm to manage the money.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Just put all the money in bitcoin and then use that one tool to break the key up among 5 people so it requires at least 3 of them to agree to access the wallet, nothing could possiblye go wrong!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Koalas March posted:

Regarding TB, I feel like I have to say this and only this: She has been a valuable asset in Misogynoir and Negrotown. She's funny and informative and has been a good friend to me as any goon can be to another.
It's too bad she is the exact opposite of all of this in this thread.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The TGRS fundraising thing screamed "scam" from every angle, despite how pure the intentions were. Freezing it until it could be reorganised was absolutely the best idea.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I leave this thread for two hours. Jesus.

Moneyball posted:

How much are you spending on the wedding? :downs:
Less than a good horse. More than a bad car. The cost hasn't been an issue.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

ate all the Oreos posted:

I'm actually very interested in this project. I'm not rich at all but a not-insignificant amount of my income (after bills and savings and stuff ofc) goes to helping friends and friends-of-friends and friends-of-friends-of-friends in crushing poverty make rent/pay small fines to get their car back/etc. And I'd really like to see if these kinds of actions could be organized effectively to both pool larger amounts of money and reach more people (while somehow still excluding scammers).

e: Is there a group brainstorming it already somewhere, or are we still waiting for the main thread or w/e?

I'm going to make a new thread soon.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Koalas March posted:

Ah ok, PM me or post a link in here when you do please :shobon:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Alright, all non-BWM has been moved to PMs or email. Please don't bring it back in to the thread. Goon bless.

VV: It's cool, no worries. Just got to get back on track.

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 6, 2017

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

E: welp, missed the modpost while I was typing my reply.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/74e4yv/i_have_two_cars_that_i_cant_afford_advice_needed/

quote:

24 M 2017 started off great, I started a new job and was making more than I ever before had. I went part time over the summer (cutting my income almost in half) so that I could go to school again. That was working up until I decided I want a truck. I went for kicks and giggles to dealerships getting an idea of what I could afford and what I couldn’t. I didn’t want to do a trade in and was planning on selling my 2008 Passat with ~170,000 miles, then getting a loan on a truck roughly $10,000 so that my payments would be about the same. Somehow I gave into the pressure of the salesman and manager and ended up coming home with a 2011 Frontier. After a few days I realized I can’t afford the truck and filled with desperation pleased with the finance guy to help me get out of the truck and into something cheaper. The “only car” that they could get me into was a 2014 Altima. It’s a nice car but now I realize it’s only $100 cheaper per month. So now I’m stuck with two car payments. I owe $3,500 on the Passat. I would love to get that car sold however I’m not entirely sure how that works with the loan. The bank obviously won’t give me the title until they are paid so if s buyer hears that I don’t have the title and have to have money first I wouldn’t blame them for running away. My 2 big questions are this: 1) how do I go about selling the Passat while having a loan still. Is there a form that they can sign showing the bank will give them the title? 2) the Altima is worth ~8,000 and it ended up costing me ~16,000. What are my best options? Keep it and just keep paying (roughly $270/mo)? Trade it in and get a truck around $5,000 and roll over the loan into that then actually have a truck like I originally wanted?

I love the attitude of "I realized I want a truck, therefore I will buy a truck" and "somehow I spent twice as much as I intended". Like he has no control over his/her/its own actions. Also, how do you still owe $3500 on a car with 170,000 miles on it? The best part is he decides the solution is to get a second truck.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Did I get approved for a good auto loan?

quote:

I have around $1500 every month to do whatever and I got approved for $34,716, monthly payment of $650, APR of 10.39% for 72 months with $0 down. Should I try to apply elsewhere for a better rate or is this pretty good for an auto loan?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Koalas March posted:

It' unlikely to work in the medium to long term, but it'd be interesting to at least try. There's a way to make these kinds of things work, we just haven't figured it out yet.

Goons sometimes help goons, like that Vegas homeless guy we helped ship off to Detroit.

I'm the theoretical concept that he'll have $1500 to waste every month for the next 6 years.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 6, 2017

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Krispy Wafer posted:

Goons sometimes help goons, like that Vegas homeless guy we helped ship off to Detroit.

That doesn't sound like helping.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

OctaviusBeaver posted:

That goon's name?

Robocop.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

OctaviusBeaver posted:

That really sounds like the opposite of helping, moving someone from a place with jobs to a place without them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

quote:

I have around $1500 every month to do whatever

I just love the way that is phrased. "Whatever" like get a bad car loan.