Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
That's awesome and very generous of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Anyone own a step-van? Any fun things a guy oughta know about step-van ownership? Stuff to look for when picking one out besides obvious stuff like gigantic holes?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
when are you making your bad decision getting married?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

when are you making your bad decision getting married?

February.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

scuz posted:

Anyone own a step-van? Any fun things a guy oughta know about step-van ownership? Stuff to look for when picking one out besides obvious stuff like gigantic holes?

I've kicked around the idea of getting one for a side business but it seems like there's too much demand for turning them into half-assed food trucks.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've kicked around the idea of getting one for a side business but it seems like there's too much demand for turning them into half-assed food trucks.
Found one with a SBC, manual trans, and looks to be in decent shape for $4k. Dude really wants it out of his yard and is willing to talk price, I just gotta get the other three people who wanna start a mobile roller skate shop to agree that getting a van would be loving awesome.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Does anybody have experience with Sumimoto tires? Tire Rack has some for a really good price and they have good reviews and the best treadwear I've seen.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

They wear way too quick in my experience, rode decent tho.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I've had the HTR Z III's on a couple of my cars. They were decent for the price but I think there's better options with more grip nowadays. Can't speak to those though.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
With UTQG codes, the higher the number the better the treadwear, right?

edit: Looking for tires for my Challenger and I want something that won't break the bank and that has decent treadwear and performance. If anybody has any suggestions I'm all ears. The dealership will price match with Tire Rack and charges less for installation, which is pretty awesome.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
good tires are always worth the money

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've got the Cooper Zeon RS3-S on the front of my truck in that size (and 275/40R20 on the rear), but it seems like TireRack doesn't list that one for some reason. However, I expect that the treadwear is more than you'd want with a 20,000 mile warranty (and 10,000 if it's a staggered set :thunk: )

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

BraveUlysses posted:

The only thing that actually touches the road and I never skimp. It's like a bed, buy a good bed please. Buy good tires and a good bed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Der Abwasserkanal ist alle fixiert.

Plumbers stepped it up to 4", presumably because the tap on the main is 4", and it's just easier to make the transition as it comes out of the house.
They're leak-testing it for the inspector this morning, then filling it back in whenever the dirt guys can.

Yay for a functioning poop-pipe.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

Yeah but I don't want to just buy the most expensive tires I can and assume that because they're expensive they must be good.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Darchangel posted:

That's why I like the guy who does the F&F cars. He finds crappy examples to chop up when he can, particularly the Chargers.

That's kind of like asking if an Chrysler 318 crank will fit in a small-block Ford.

Yes because olds and gm both being closely related brands under the GM corp is like comparing the two separate companies Dodge and Ford. :rolleye:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

The only thing that actually touches the road and I never skimp. It's like a bed, buy a good bed please. Buy good tires and a good bed.
And shoes. Pretty much anything that separates you from the ground, I think I read that in here somewhere. I just bought Pirelli P4s for my lovely Golf and am lovin it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Coredump posted:

Yes because olds and gm both being closely related brands under the GM corp is like comparing the two separate companies Dodge and Ford. :rolleye:

Clearly you are not familiar with how the divisions of GM interacted previous to the mid '70s-'80s. :rolleye: (Hint, they didn't, as much as possible.)
There is literally nothing that interchanges between Chevy, Olds, Buick, and Pontiac V8s, except by happy accident.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Darchangel posted:

Clearly you are not familiar with how the divisions of GM interacted previous to the mid '70s-'80s. :rolleye: (Hint, they didn't, as much as possible.)
There is literally nothing that interchanges between Chevy, Olds, Buick, and Pontiac V8s, except by happy accident.

I knew I would get into some broke brain argument over this. If you're trying to ignore the massive amount of platform sharing that the big 3 do under their respective brands then I don't even know. Yes even during the time frames you mention.

Edit: I did some more reading and you have more ground with that comparison than I realized.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 6, 2017

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

scuz posted:

And shoes. Pretty much anything that separates you from the ground, I think I read that in here somewhere. I just bought Pirelli P4s for my lovely Golf and am lovin it.

Never skimp on shoes. Every time I think "oh, these $20 kicks will be fine for just occasional wear," I regret it. They wear out fast, they're uncomfortable, and they can actually cause physiological problems from joint pain (knees, especially) or back pain to shin splints and more.

I'm personally a fan of Merrell and Brooks (for boots and running shoes respectively), but I've also had really good luck with Frye boots in the past.

I don't think I even spend any more on good quality shoes than I would if I had to replace lovely ones constantly. It's just one lump sum every 2-3 years as opposed $20-30 to every couple months.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CornHolio posted:

Yeah but I don't want to just buy the most expensive tires I can and assume that because they're expensive they must be good.

Well don't get performance Sumitomo tires because the treadwear sucks. I hear their all seasons are better in that regard but summer tires no.

I would go with Kumho if you want a good affordable tire, but honestly no performance tire is going to have the greatest treadwear so if that's what you're worried about you need all seasons.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Coredump posted:

I knew I would get into some broke brain argument over this. If you're trying to ignore the massive amount of platform sharing that the big 3 do under their respective brands then I don't even know. Yes even during the time frames you mention.

Edit: I did some more reading and you have more ground with that comparison than I realized.

Yeah, they shared platforms, but the engines back then not so much. Trust me, I have a '70 Olds. Nothing on the engine, and very little on the sheet metal interchange with a Chevelle, etc. just the chassis. They did share the Chevy six cylinder around, though. And transmissions, though even there, Chevy had its bolt pattern to the engine, and everyone else had a different one ("BOP" - Buick-Olds-Pontiac).
Everything changed in the early '80s, when GM consolidated on the SBC. There were still a few holdouts after that, but usually for special models/purposes.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Well don't get performance Sumitomo tires because the treadwear sucks. I hear their all seasons are better in that regard but summer tires no.

I would go with Kumho if you want a good affordable tire, but honestly no performance tire is going to have the greatest treadwear so if that's what you're worried about you need all seasons.

I'm looking at all-seasons. I'm not planning on driving the car much in the winter but I don't want to put summer-only tires on it. Around here it can snow in May.

I don't know what 'high performance all-seasons' or 'ultra-high-performance all-seasons' are but those are what I'm looking at.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

CornHolio posted:

I'm looking at all-seasons. I'm not planning on driving the car much in the winter but I don't want to put summer-only tires on it. Around here it can snow in May.

I don't know what 'high performance all-seasons' or 'ultra-high-performance all-seasons' are but those are what I'm looking at.

You probably have 19/20 in wheels right? poo poo is expensive.

I really like the Michelin a/s 3+ for a high performance all season.

If you want to save money hold out for a DTD sale on a holiday.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

You probably have 19/20 in wheels right? poo poo is expensive.

I really like the Michelin a/s 3+ for a high performance all season.

If you want to save money hold out for a DTD sale on a holiday.

I was going to wait until spring but my right rear has a slow leak now. Dealership has one of those 'buy three get one for a dollar' deals and I can get a set of Pirelli P-zeroes installed for $830 which is a deal if it's the all-seasons.

And yeah they're 20" wheels.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Seconding the high treadwear rated Kuhmo. I've bought at least 5 sets of them for various cars and never been disappointed with grip, wear or wet performance.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+4X+II&partnum=445WR0E4X2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 6, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

CornHolio posted:

Does anybody have experience with Sumimoto tires? Tire Rack has some for a really good price and they have good reviews and the best treadwear I've seen.

I loved the poo poo out of my Sumitomo AT's

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, they shared platforms, but the engines back then not so much. Trust me, I have a '70 Olds. Nothing on the engine, and very little on the sheet metal interchange with a Chevelle, etc. just the chassis. They did share the Chevy six cylinder around, though. And transmissions, though even there, Chevy had its bolt pattern to the engine, and everyone else had a different one ("BOP" - Buick-Olds-Pontiac).
Everything changed in the early '80s, when GM consolidated on the SBC. There were still a few holdouts after that, but usually for special models/purposes.

They didn't even do a great job sharing platforms. Look at the Roadkill One Lap Firebird - it had a Pontiac rear axle instead of a Chevy / GM corporate rear axle, making parts just that much harder to find. poo poo like the BOP / Chevy bellhousing bolt pattern issue is just hilarious because they're so close to each other but GM still insisted on maintaining two whole sets of bellhousing designs until they finally made the SBC and BBC into the GM corporate V8s. Even after that, Cadillac still got to have its own engines.

Peak GM, for better or for worse, allowed its individual brands an extreme level of autonomy.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
For lunch, a can of hash, 1lb shredded hash browns, 2 lbs yoghurt, and I'm still hungry lmao

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Can anyone else not click on any subforums? This dead gay forum gets deader by the day.

I had to dig through the leper's colony to find a probation from this thread lol

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

They didn't even do a great job sharing platforms. Look at the Roadkill One Lap Firebird - it had a Pontiac rear axle instead of a Chevy / GM corporate rear axle, making parts just that much harder to find. poo poo like the BOP / Chevy bellhousing bolt pattern issue is just hilarious because they're so close to each other but GM still insisted on maintaining two whole sets of bellhousing designs until they finally made the SBC and BBC into the GM corporate V8s. Even after that, Cadillac still got to have its own engines.

Peak GM, for better or for worse, allowed its individual brands an extreme level of autonomy.

You're absolutely right. My Olds has an Olds "12-bolt" - which is an 8.5" ring gear like a Chevy 10-bolt, or, for that matter, like an Olds 10-bolt, just with a rea cover that happens to have 12-bolts. It's also c-clipless, which is nice, but despite being an 8.5", it shares nothing with the Buick, Pontiac, or Chevy 8.5". On the plus side, a Chevy 10- or 12-bolt will slot right in, if I need cheap(er) and ubiquitous. Which I may need if I want LSD and better gears.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Enourmo posted:

Can anyone else not click on any subforums? This dead gay forum gets deader by the day.

I had to dig through the leper's colony to find a probation from this thread lol

No problems here

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

DICK DICER posted:

For lunch, a can of hash, 1lb shredded hash browns, 2 lbs yoghurt, and I'm still hungry lmao

Canned corned beef hash is one of the foods I can't keep in the pantry because I will eat all of it. So tasty but so much sodium.

Since you're biking/walking everywhere, you're almost certainly at a calorie deficit, which would explain the hunger.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Last night I was this close to buttering some clementines

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Good god the yoghurt farts have arrived already

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

slidebite posted:

No problems here

This is what I get if I try and access any subforum:

A loving error message from January linking to the ur-goon's now-banned twitter account.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Enourmo posted:

This is what I get if I try and access any subforum:

A loving error message from January linking to the ur-goon's now-banned twitter account.

Clear your cache.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Enourmo posted:

Haven't seen that but I haven't been able to click on "<username> posted:" links for at least a week now. And now anyone with no avatar who makes a one-line post has a really tiny post box on screen.

fakeedit: Oh that's probably because you were browsing archives at some point and archives appear to be totally hosed. I had that happen before during the great archives database failure a few years ago.

e2: Or that, control+shift+R or shift+F5.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Any of you gents have experience with newish Ford Escapes? The fiance wants a small SUV thing and likes the Escapes, but I've heard a few bad things. Turbos, transmissions, cooling system issues. Other people say the newer ones are fine.

We're thinking 15k-17k price range. I'm leaning towards the Mazda CX-5 myself but they are a little more scarce in our price range. I guess there are RAV-4s and CRVs as well, but bleehh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well logging out/in fixed it. Anyway that's my friday entertainment for you guys, hope everyone enjoyed, click here to like subscribe and share with your frie

• Locked thread