Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BigDave posted:

Damnit, who turned on auto-subscribe for hurricanes?!

This year's got two in the chest, one in the head, and one in the balls for good measure.

I mean it's no 2005 season but houston ain't even dry, miami is probably never unflooding, we still haven't found the keys, puerto rico is a loving humanitarian disaster in the making, and now there's a hurricane eyeballing new orleans like a spring breaker who just realized they can't afford Cabo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
It's going to nail my favourite vacation spot, Cozumel too. They got hosed up real bad like 10 years ago when a hurricane sat outside the island for days. There are still some abandoned buildings there last time I was there (3 years ago?)

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Who gets fired today?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Might not be anybody fired, Donnie Dumbfuck's current carnival barker act is to talk about military people, say this is the calm before the storm, then "we'll see" in response to everyone saying "what the gently caress?" so he can have better ratings over the break.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Pesticide20 posted:

Who gets fired today?

Louis W. Uccellini, for causing all these hurricanes.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

BigDave posted:

It's not gonna be a huge recession but it's gonna be a ugly 18 months or so when it finally hits.

China's been trying to pull itself back together, but if we take it on the chin and cut back on imports of consumer goods from Beijing, it's not gonna be pretty.

Well it'll be well timed for 2020 I'd nothing else.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Sorry for the Grant comparison. The only thing I remembered of his Presidency was the corrupt crony bullshit.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pesticide20 posted:

Who gets fired today?

Some chatter that Pompeo might be replacing Tillerson, but who knows because trying to figure out what's going on at the WH is dumber Kremlinology.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Waroduce posted:

The United States Navy is going to expand from approx 280 ships to around 325/50ish (i forget) and all of those contracts were signed under Obama, most around 2014. The Navy fell to 280 under Bush due to Republican budget cuts and sequester and all that bullshit. Trump is going to take that W for supporting our troops and expanding american power and he has dick all to do with it.

also congress hasn't passed a budget on time since 05 so god bless america and the bullshit 10% cuts then enacted across the board, reduction in ships, increased op-tempo, longer deployment and other poo poo has lead to the current situation with bullshit accidents and a general level of un-readyness ( i dont know the word) in both the USN and USAirforce that is staggering. You can't do maintenance/training/upkeep if everyone is constantly deployed and doing poo poo so no we here. Budget fuckery also really affects ship yards, project timelines and maintenance personnel, both staffing, pay and giving them something to do.

This is the point SecNav Mabus kept making. He did a good interview on Pod Save the World this week where he said the same things again, but with emphasis and more making GBS threads on Orange.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I wonder if anyone actually likes Trump on a personal level

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

I wonder if anyone actually likes Trump on a personal level

The nicest things I've ever heard anybody (not a pundit/politician) say about him was Pauly Shore stating in an interview that the only thing Donnie was interested in was slaying pussy.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Pesticide20 posted:

Who gets fired today?

Birth control.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

bulletsponge13 posted:

Sorry for the Grant comparison. The only thing I remembered of his Presidency was the corrupt crony bullshit.

Harding would work better. Packed the cabinet with cronies or friends of friends, both his Interior Secratary and AG went to prison for taking bribes, had at least one affair that went public and lost the White House china in a poker game.

About the only successful thing he did was die in office.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
:rip: AOL Instant Messenger https://help.aol.com/articles/aim-discontinued

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

:sad:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

RIP my last screen name, SkaBoy247, 1997-1999

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Wtf is the difference between "not re-certifying" the Iran Deal and just getting rid of it completely?

Probably the worst thing Donny Donny Donny is doing, either way.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Well where I am supposed to put this now?

╔═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╗
~ ~ ~ Post this in your profile if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong black woman ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no man ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
╚═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╝

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Handsome Ralph posted:

Well where I am supposed to put this now?

╔═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╗
~ ~ ~ Post this in your profile if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong black woman ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no man ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
╚═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╝

Twitter can support 280 characters now

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Manning would probably love it

#wecandoit 😎😍😁

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Some pretty drat impressive corporate speak in that announcement.

quote:

Why is AIM shutting down?

We know there are so many loyal fans who have used AIM for decades; and we loved working and building the first chat app of its kind since 1997. Our focus will always be on providing the kind of innovative experiences consumers want. We’re more excited than ever to focus on building the next generation of iconic brands and life-changing products.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

How does AOL even make money? Do people still have it in their monthly credit card bills?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

How does AOL even make money? Do people still have it in their monthly credit card bills?

My parents were paying AOL monthly up until fairly recently. They were afraid of having to change their @aol.com email accounts they've been using since the early 90s.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Peetown Manning posted:

Wtf is the difference between "not re-certifying" the Iran Deal and just getting rid of it completely?

Probably the worst thing Donny Donny Donny is doing, either way.

Punts it over to Congress, where they get to decided whether or not to reimpose the sanctions that were lifted under JPCOA. Tillerson, McMaster etc are apparently letting Trump have his way with the 'decertifying' bit but are working behind the scenes to get Congress to effectively preserve the deal by keeping the current sanctions status quo despite JPCOA going away.

Bottom line is it all depends on Congress stepping in to be the adults in the room (:lol:), and the rest of the world ignoring Trump's circus shenanigans.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Farewell sweet prince

E: I feel like this final a closing of the book on our misspent youths deserves a round of buddy icon avatars

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 6, 2017

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
What in the flying gently caress?

https://twitter.com/MikeDelMoro/status/916381519643586561

I've never heard of any kind of attorney/justice meeting like this happening, though it could be standard-ish. What isn't standard is that the U.S. District Court in DC is basically the court that oversees immediate issues in the DC area, including the White House and Congress.

Donnie usually gets crazier whenever Russia poo poo comes up, so could be a factor in his latest War Reality Show nonsense.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Would this be part of the process for empaneling a new jury?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

bird food bathtub posted:

Some pretty drat impressive corporate speak in that announcement.

That is not true. ICQ was from before them.

edit : :lol: it's owned by mail.ru now

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

facialimpediment posted:

I've never heard of any kind of attorney/justice meeting like this happening, though it could be standard-ish. What isn't standard is that the U.S. District Court in DC is basically the court that oversees immediate issues in the DC area, including the White House and Congress.

Donnie usually gets crazier whenever Russia poo poo comes up, so could be a factor in his latest War Reality Show nonsense.

"How do I go about arresting the entire Executive branch?"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

What do they mean by unknown group of attorneys? Like just an unknown number of his posse of 16? Or literally new people they haven't seen previously involved?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
How can there even be a chance of North Korea peacefully giving up it's nuclear weapons if the US reneges on the Iran deal?

For all of Obama's foreign policy failures, the Iran Nuclear Deal really was the crowning foreign policy achievement, and it's a pretty good one. Iran gave up it's weapon's program and agreed to be put under the most intrusive weapons inspections regime in history. It's huge success, even though it's opponents try to use a lot of misleading statements and outright lies to cast it in a bad light. A little overview:

The deal intentionally only covers Iran's nuclear weapons program. That's because there could have been no agreement otherwise, because either Iran, or Russia and China wouldn't have agreed to the deal/continue to place sanctions on Iran.

For example, the deal initially should have included a ban on testing ballistic missiles, but Russia and China purposefully watered down the language of the deal, so that Iran is only "called on" not to test ballistic missiles. The Iranians can't violate the deal by continuing their missile tests, and that's by design.

For that reason, Iranian activities in the Middle East, like supporting Assad, aren't violating the nuclear deal either. The sanctions regime only came into being because the Russians, Chinese and Europeans genuinely feared that Iran would get the bomb, other Iranian activities didn't convince them to place heavy sanctions on the Persians. And the sanctions regime would have collapsed if Iran agreed to limit it's nuclear program while the US insisted on including unrelated issues in the deal. And then there would have been no nuclear deal, and no limit on the Iranian weapons program.

The fact that the deal has a sunset clause is also no problem as such. Treaties either have a withdrawal mechanism or a sunset clause, or both. NATO members are bound by the NATO treaties forever, unless they use the withdrawal mechanism and leave NATO. The USA and Russia are bound by arms reduction treaties, most (all?) of which have sunset clauses (like SORT would have run out on 31 December 2012, if it hadn't been superseded by New START). Iran can't withdraw from the Nuclear Deal, so the deal has a sunset clause. If everything works out alright, it will be renewed, perhaps after some revisions. But that's just a normal function of international treaties, not some evil way for Obama to grant Iran permission to develop nuclear weapons in 15 years or so.

Iran has little trade with the USA, the EU sanctions especially were what brought them to the negotiation table. Without at least European and Chinese support, there's little the US can do to further hurt Iran economically.

Of course, the US could sanction European and Chinese corporations and banks that do business with Iran, but that's very much a double edged sword. It would only compound the diplomatic problems that will be caused by breaking the Iran Nuclear Deal.

There's no way that the other P5+1 powers would agree to renegotiate the deal, and there are some neocon demands that Iran simply cannot accept. Giving a known hostile power unlimited access to all your military installations to prove that there is no secret nuclear weapons program is an obvious non-starter. And negotiating with the USA as such is difficult to justify. In negotiations, both sides are supposed to get something. But what can the USA offer Iran in exchange for yet more restrictions on it? Relief from sanctions that Iran already paid for being abolished by joining the Nuclear Deal in the first place? Never mind that Trump has no chance to assemble the international coalition that supported Obama in creating the Nuclear Deal in the first place.

This whole thing will be a huge foreign policy disaster, and it will definitely harm America's standing in the world and even reduce it's global power. And I suspect the only reason for this course of action is that Trump hates all things Obama and simply can't resist trashing Barack Obama's biggest foreign policy achievement.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Torrannor posted:

How can there even be a chance of North Korea peacefully giving up it's nuclear weapons if the US reneges on the Iran deal?

For all of Obama's foreign policy failures, the Iran Nuclear Deal really was the crowning foreign policy achievement, and it's a pretty good one. Iran gave up it's weapon's program and agreed to be put under the most intrusive weapons inspections regime in history. It's huge success, even though it's opponents try to use a lot of misleading statements and outright lies to cast it in a bad light. A little overview:

The deal intentionally only covers Iran's nuclear weapons program. That's because there could have been no agreement otherwise, because either Iran, or Russia and China wouldn't have agreed to the deal/continue to place sanctions on Iran.

For example, the deal initially should have included a ban on testing ballistic missiles, but Russia and China purposefully watered down the language of the deal, so that Iran is only "called on" not to test ballistic missiles. The Iranians can't violate the deal by continuing their missile tests, and that's by design.

For that reason, Iranian activities in the Middle East, like supporting Assad, aren't violating the nuclear deal either. The sanctions regime only came into being because the Russians, Chinese and Europeans genuinely feared that Iran would get the bomb, other Iranian activities didn't convince them to place heavy sanctions on the Persians. And the sanctions regime would have collapsed if Iran agreed to limit it's nuclear program while the US insisted on including unrelated issues in the deal. And then there would have been no nuclear deal, and no limit on the Iranian weapons program.

The fact that the deal has a sunset clause is also no problem as such. Treaties either have a withdrawal mechanism or a sunset clause, or both. NATO members are bound by the NATO treaties forever, unless they use the withdrawal mechanism and leave NATO. The USA and Russia are bound by arms reduction treaties, most (all?) of which have sunset clauses (like SORT would have run out on 31 December 2012, if it hadn't been superseded by New START). Iran can't withdraw from the Nuclear Deal, so the deal has a sunset clause. If everything works out alright, it will be renewed, perhaps after some revisions. But that's just a normal function of international treaties, not some evil way for Obama to grant Iran permission to develop nuclear weapons in 15 years or so.

Iran has little trade with the USA, the EU sanctions especially were what brought them to the negotiation table. Without at least European and Chinese support, there's little the US can do to further hurt Iran economically.

Of course, the US could sanction European and Chinese corporations and banks that do business with Iran, but that's very much a double edged sword. It would only compound the diplomatic problems that will be caused by breaking the Iran Nuclear Deal.

There's no way that the other P5+1 powers would agree to renegotiate the deal, and there are some neocon demands that Iran simply cannot accept. Giving a known hostile power unlimited access to all your military installations to prove that there is no secret nuclear weapons program is an obvious non-starter. And negotiating with the USA as such is difficult to justify. In negotiations, both sides are supposed to get something. But what can the USA offer Iran in exchange for yet more restrictions on it? Relief from sanctions that Iran already paid for being abolished by joining the Nuclear Deal in the first place? Never mind that Trump has no chance to assemble the international coalition that supported Obama in creating the Nuclear Deal in the first place.

This whole thing will be a huge foreign policy disaster, and it will definitely harm America's standing in the world and even reduce it's global power. And I suspect the only reason for this course of action is that Trump hates all things Obama and simply can't resist trashing Barack Obama's biggest foreign policy achievement.

Yes but have you considered....

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
You see the Iran deal was signed by Obama. Obama was bad. Ergo, the deal Obama signed was bad.

This applies to everything everywhere, no matter what.

OBAMA: Eat healthier!
TRUMP: Drink bacon fat!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

facialimpediment posted:

The Chief judge oversees the grand juries and settles any disputes that come up, like whether a witness can assert a privilege, whether a subpoena (for person or documents) has to be honored, etc.

DC District Court rules, page 59 posted:

In addition to the trial of such cases as he/she may undertake and other duties provided by these Rules, the Chief Judge shall:
(c) empanel the grand jury and hear and determine all matters relating to proceedings before the grand jury;
(d) receive indictments from the grand jury;
The unknown group of attorneys could be attorneys for whoever doesn't want to do something, (or it could be something completely different)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

They own a poo poo ton of news websites. At this point they're really more of a holding company for media.

But they also still offer their email and dialup service. My girlfriend's mom still has an AOL email account that she uses.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

joat mon posted:

The Chief judge oversees the grand juries and settles any disputes that come up, like whether a witness can assert a privilege, whether a subpoena (for person or documents) has to be honored, etc.

The unknown group of attorneys could be attorneys for whoever doesn't want to do something, (or it could be something completely different)

Alrighty, that makes a ton more sense as to what's going on, probably some type of Grand Jury dispute. No wonder the news feeds *aren't* going nuts about it. Thanks!

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Torrannor posted:

They won't. From a geopolitical perspective they only need to look at the examples of Libya, Ukraine, and probably soon Iran to see what happens to countries who willingly give up their nuclear arsenal.

Not that I'm saying North Korea is in the right, because quite frankly gently caress them. But if you are looking at it from the regime perspective, giving up your one deterrent to invasion when the U.S. can elect a moron like Trump who will tear up any "deal" you might have previously made is suicide.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My step dad still pays for an AOL subscription even though he has DSL from Windstream.

AOL still makes millions off of dial up subscribers.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

facialimpediment posted:

Alrighty, that makes a ton more sense as to what's going on, probably some type of Grand Jury dispute. No wonder the news feeds *aren't* going nuts about it. Thanks!

And not newsotainment worthy at all, because everything is under seal (p. 138)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Ralphie May died. He was 45

• Locked thread