Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Someone has never basked in the horrible glory of SVU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FljQ2HEJkP4

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ornamented Death posted:

Yep.

The books get better, though the second one is divisive among Stross's fanbase; you either love it or hate it.
Agreed with all points.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ornamented Death posted:

Yep.
The books get better, though the second one is divisive among Stross's fanbase; you either love it or hate it.
Thing about these: the first bunch of books are all pastiches of different authors and styles; it only really starts doing its own thing by book 4-5. The IT thing, at least, will end pretty soon.
I admit I'm in the "love it" part regarding Jennifer Morgue but it helps to realize both the premise and source material are really silly and the tribute only amplifies the fact.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Thing about these: the first bunch of books are all pastiches of different authors and styles; it only really starts doing its own thing by book 4-5. The IT thing, at least, will end pretty soon.
I admit I'm in the "love it" part regarding Jennifer Morgue but it helps to realize both the premise and source material are really silly and the tribute only amplifies the fact.

Well, I admit once I realized the style was almost a perfect Flemming Bond tale my enjoyment of it immediately increased. It took a few chapters because I'm dumb, but until that point I was kind of "eh, it's not... bad." When I twigged onto the style, the implications for how that would shape the plot hit me and I was 100% on board for the ride.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Ornamented Death posted:

I hated The Jennifer Morgue on the first read and quit reading the series for a couple of years. I liked it pretty well on the second read, but the first two are my least favorite ones now.

I also didn't like The Rhesus Chart much at first, but it grew on me a lot as it progressed. I think my initial reaction was because I'm loving sick of modern vampires rather than anything wrong with the actual story.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Oh my God The Concrete Jungle ends in another anti-climax. Building up toward a solid enough finale, all the pieces are there, and then... his boss just resolves the whole thing off screen while they're trapped in a closet. The story even teased getting to see Mister Skeletal roll up his sleeves ( "Oh, that's right. You've never seen Angleton in action, have you?" ) and then that.

I haven't read such masterful anti-climaxes since Anita Blake.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Oh my God The Concrete Jungle ends in another anti-climax. Building up toward a solid enough finale, all the pieces are there, and then... his boss just resolves the whole thing off screen while they're trapped in a closet. The story even teased getting to see Mister Skeletal roll up his sleeves ( "Oh, that's right. You've never seen Angleton in action, have you?" ) and then that.

I haven't read such masterful anti-climaxes since Anita Blake.

You're in for a treat in The Fuller Memorandum.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
So, I made a thing. Jim got a cackle out of it.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Captain Capacitor posted:

You should make one for the Olympian Affair

Also the Cinder Spires needs an outrageous France caricature too

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

biracial bear for uncut posted:

You're in for a treat in The Fuller Memorandum.

Eh? I'm not sure we're thinking the same book.

Maybe you mean Rhesus Chart, but I loving love the construction of the climax and denouement there. Respectable contender for my favorite Laundry sequence.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

How is this estimate calculated? Or is it just an arbitrarily large number for laughs?

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Blasphemeral posted:

How is this estimate calculated? Or is it just an arbitrarily large number for laughs?

it looks like its actually the page's viewcount. it increases every time i refresh

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Law Cheetah posted:

it looks like its actually the page's viewcount. it increases every time i refresh

While funny, that's disappointing.
It shouldn't be too hard to simply calculate it from the estimates Jim has given about how done the book is versus how long it's been. Then, simply update the data behind the calculation whenever he gives a new estimate.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Blasphemeral posted:

It shouldn't be too hard to simply calculate it from the estimates Jim has given about how done the book is versus how long it's been. Then, simply update the data behind the calculation whenever he gives a new estimate.

Then it would stop being a joke. Which is kind of central to that page's existence.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Blasphemeral posted:

In fact, here's some back-of-the-napkin math:

Something like, "on July 16, 2017 at Alaska ComiCon Jim Butcher was quoted as saying the book was 40% complete," Ok, it's been 3 years since Skin Game, so (X * .4) = TElapsed, where TElapsed is the time since Skin Game released ( TNow - TReleased; right now, ~3 years). So, solve for X... X = 7.5yr. Therefore, take TReleased (2014, skin game release) + 7.5 years: Estimated Release Date = Late 2021. The script simply uses the current TElapsed Whenever the page is loaded, so whenever a time goes by without a progress improvement, the estimated time gets later.

Proteus Jones posted:

Then it would stop being a joke. Which is kind of central to that page's existence.

It can be both practical and a joke. Practical jokes are a thing.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Blasphemeral posted:

That is not what a practical joke is.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Blasphemeral posted:

:spergin:

Practical jokes are things like pranks, not the juxtaposition of 'practical' and 'joke'.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
The next Alex Verus book has been slated for June 2018 and is being worked over by the publisher at the moment. :unsmith:

Oh-eee. I guess if Jim gets the book done soon and off to his publisher we might see Peace Talks by October 2018.

Maybe more like April of 2019 though.

Probably before 2020.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The next Alex Verus book has been slated for June 2018 and is being worked over by the publisher at the moment. :unsmith:

Oh-eee. I guess if Jim gets the book done soon and off to his publisher we might see Peace Talks by October 2018.

Probably before 2020.

Not analogous really. Publishers prioritize bestsellers and high-profile authors. Wheel of Time books used to have a one month turnaround from manuscript to store shelves (which explained a lot of the problems). Less well known authors have to wait longer for press time.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Probably before 2020.

Didn't Jim say recently he's less than 10% done with the book, or something like that? He's no where near getting done soon.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Eh? I'm not sure we're thinking the same book.

Maybe you mean Rhesus Chart, but I loving love the construction of the climax and denouement there. Respectable contender for my favorite Laundry sequence.

I was making a joke about you wishing for an Angleton-cuts-loose scenario. Because that's as close as we actually get.

Bob does some pretty badass stuff on his own once Angleton is out of the way though.

I liked how he told Bashful Incendiary that he could have single-handedly dealt with the group they worked together on the first time they met if he met the same group again as he is in the last book. But the problem is that once he cuts loose it's a bit indiscriminate.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Not analogous really. Publishers prioritize bestsellers and high-profile authors. Wheel of Time books used to have a one month turnaround from manuscript to store shelves (which explained a lot of the problems). Less well known authors have to wait longer for press time.

I havn't heard of them doing that for any big SF/F authors lately, which is a good thing the 6-9months turn around time gives time for beta readers.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
Considering I was hanging out with Jim while making the site, I'd say it's an accurate figure. People have just started getting a bit...persistent. To the point that there were comments asking about Peace Talks on Jim's engagement video.

Word of Jim: He intends to be submitting Peace Talks within 6-8 weeks of Brief Cases coming out.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Considering I was hanging out with Jim while making the site, I'd say it's an accurate figure. People have just started getting a bit...persistent. To the point that there were comments asking about Peace Talks on Jim's engagement video.

Word of Jim: He intends to be submitting Peace Talks within 6-8 weeks of Brief Cases coming out.

If he publishes it before Winds of Winter I'm content. Which gives him just another 20 years or so...

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Good deal. I'm sure the constant haranguing gets old quickly. That said...

Any word on the Olympian Affair :v:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Oh? Then he is way further along than the last time he mentioned his progress. Which is good.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
So if Brief cases is coming out in the summer 2018 that means he is submitting it probably around Sept/Oct which means what May 2019?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Winds of Winter will come out 3 months after GRRM dies and sanderson steps up to bat.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

wheres the book butcher

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Ramadu posted:

wheres the book butcher

GRRM is writing the prologue you see

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

smertrioslol posted:

GRRM is writing the prologue you see

no one cares abolut your bbq or college football george!!!! get back on the typewriter

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
Cold Spectrum, the new Harmony Black book, dropped today.

http://craig-schaefer-v2.squarespace.com/blog/2017/10/31/cold-spectrum-the-truth-is-now

And there are two more books dropping by next April, so yes, Schaefer continues to write like a madman.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

OmniBeer posted:

Cold Spectrum, the new Harmony Black book, dropped today.

http://craig-schaefer-v2.squarespace.com/blog/2017/10/31/cold-spectrum-the-truth-is-now

And there are two more books dropping by next April, so yes, Schaefer continues to write like a madman.

But are those "two more books" Harmony No-Interest books, too? Or are they Daniel Mainline-Awesome books?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hey, I like Harmony. Well, liked, Glass Predator was a whole lot of nothing. But the first two are good.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016
Looks like the next two are going to be the next Faust novel (after Double or Nothing, I am so ready for that) and the first book of a trilogy about Nessa and Mari from the Revanche Cycle.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

From what I've read the new trilogy seems like a big cross-over event? It definitely features Faust and Black anyway.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

StonecutterJoe posted:

Looks like the next two are going to be the next Faust novel (after Double or Nothing, I am so ready for that) and the first book of a trilogy about Nessa and Mari from the Revanche Cycle.

Hell yes, Revanche Cycle was great.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

StonecutterJoe posted:

Oh, man, so I need to finally get around to reading those, huh?

anilEhilated posted:

Hey, I like Harmony. Well, liked, Glass Predator was a whole lot of nothing. But the first two are good.

I haven't read her personal books because she was soooo one-dimensional and boring when she appeared in Faust. Maybe she got better in her own books (hell, I really hope so) but I just didn't care enough. I have plenty of other stuff to read that I don't have reason to believe might be bad from the word "spin-off".

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
FWIW I liked Harmony Black and Red Knight Falling more than anything with Faust but that's probably just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Harmony Black is terrible for the unrealistic logistics, technology, organizations, and tactics, plus the wooden, cliched characters.

(Narrator: He read each one as soon as it came out.)

The “I don’t know how GPS, a common and well understood technology, works” moment at the end of this latest book was particularly egregious.