Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wilbon was not surprised

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Thaddius the Large posted:

Yeah, I would imagine the podcast, Twitter, and YouTube helped her presence a bunch, but that's tough to translate into TV ratings, and I'll be the first to admit I only ever watched Garbage Time when it was recorded, that time slot was a joke. Still funny that they basically gave her $500 an episode, some interns, and a storage closet to shoot in, and it was still one of the best things on the network.

I'd catch her stuff on her youtube page too.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/NHLonNBCSports/status/915749994333966336

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh god that's both beautiful and crushing :smith:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

:smith: Strader on Pass with Mickey Redmond is my youth.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

howe_sam posted:

:smith: Strader on Pass with Mickey Redmond is my youth.

Me too.

...and WKBD.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I only heard him on various national broadcasts but he was awesome. Loved his voice, loved his approach. No gimmicks, no tics, no trying to make it about himself. This is just as awful as when Tom Mees died.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NBCSN has replaced the loss of F1 by picking up Six Nations rugby.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

DJExile posted:

NBCSN has replaced the loss of F1 by picking up Six Nations rugby.

I wonder if they're gonna make a play for Super League as well.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
The Six Nations falls in that sweet spot between the Super Bowl and March Madness where gently caress all really happens in American sports

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

The Six Nations falls in that sweet spot between the Super Bowl and March Madness where gently caress all really happens in American sports

Well uh, you have the Daytona 500... and yeah I got nothing else for major events.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

iospace posted:

Well uh, you have the Daytona 500... and yeah I got nothing else for major events.

for a second I was trying to think if there was something I'd missed and would look foolish over

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Akileese posted:

That was my first thought (and hope) as well

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

for a second I was trying to think if there was something I'd missed and would look foolish over

Well, the Daytona 500 is pretty big because it heralds that major motorsports are finally back for the year. Well, Speedweeks as a whole anyway, which includes the 24 hours of Daytona.

The month of February is big for basketball and hockey because that's when the seasons are getting good.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

iospace posted:

Well, the Daytona 500 is pretty big because it heralds that major motorsports are finally back for the year. Well, Speedweeks as a whole anyway, which includes the 24 hours of Daytona.

The month of February is big for basketball and hockey because that's when the seasons are getting good.

Isn't NBC showing no hockey in February

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

exploded mummy posted:

Isn't NBC showing no hockey in February

Half the month will be nothing but Winter Olympics

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

iospace posted:

is Daytona really a major event though?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Peanut President posted:

It's a major event if you are talking about STDs co-mingling in a human population. Daytona Beach is like a petri dish.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Peanut President posted:

Ehhh it's up there. The only sporting events that have higher ratings are the highest rated NFL games and NFL Playoffs, the Final Four, SOME NBA Finals games, the Kentucky Derby, SOME World Series games, and the CFB National Championship. That's actually not that much.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Philadelphia radio/TV idiot Mike Missanelli got fired from a local TV gig for saying Beth Mowins shouldn't be calling Monday Night Football because she's a woman

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Akileese posted:

Do they air the NRL in the US anywhere? Or is it like on at a bad time for watching tv?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://twitter.com/alexqarbuckle/status/916806150473113601

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

ohhhh nooooo

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Whenever I'm worried I'm Too Online, I get a nice reminder that some people take it much farther

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ahahahaha

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I don't get it

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Benne posted:

I don't get it

https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/603384079044759552

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Um, he tried to upload a picture and it didn't upload?

I also don't get it.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Whatever he was trying to do is weird because there's an obvious upload pic option. It's humorous.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

it's a particularly celebrated expression from our greatest living avant-garde performance artist.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Benne posted:

I don't get it

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

he copy-pasted a file name instead of uploading it. He's bad at computers, you see.

BWV posted:

it's a particularly celebrated expression from our greatest living avant-garde performance artist.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/SomeonesAnIdiot/status/916704182123548672?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

BWV posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sGi0ZbnF28

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

There was an interesting back-and-forth between University of Washington football coach Chris Petersen and ESPN, where Petersen bemoaned the late (for east coast) start times, saying it kept them out of the national discussion, east coast bias, etc etc. ESPN blowhard Kirk Herbstreit hit back, basically pulling the mob boss thing and saying Petersen should be thankful ESPN televises them at all. Both had legitimate points (to certain degrees) but here's where it gets bizarre.

This culminated in an astoundingly bush league graphic put up by ESPN during the Washington/Cal game, where the very network itself was basically telling Petersen to pipe down.

https://twitter.com/RJ_Writes/status/917004046074089472

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DJExile posted:

There was an interesting back-and-forth between University of Washington football coach Chris Petersen and ESPN, where Petersen bemoaned the late (for east coast) start times, saying it kept them out of the national discussion, east coast bias, etc etc. ESPN blowhard Kirk Herbstreit hit back, basically pulling the mob boss thing and saying Petersen should be thankful ESPN televises them at all. Both had legitimate points (to certain degrees) but here's where it gets bizarre.

This culminated in an astoundingly bush league graphic put up by ESPN during the Washington/Cal game, where the very network itself was basically telling Petersen to pipe down.

I don't think Herbstreit had a legitimate point at all. Washington only had 3 games last year (4 if you count the PAC-12 championship) that started after 9ET and they made the playoffs just fine.

That graphic is also bullshit because good PAC-12 games almost never kick off earlier than 9ET on ESPN. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy when you're saving the good PAC-12 games for late at night after all the Big 10, SEC, and Big 12 games are over. There's literally nothing else for people to watch.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Part of Herbie's point seemed to be that running that late on the east coast also meant that they run unopposed for viewers, which isn't untrue.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DJExile posted:

Didn't they cut to a shot of cupcakes somewhere on the field while discussing Washington's schedule.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

Didn't they cut to a shot of cupcakes somewhere on the field while discussing Washington's schedule.

They did! Using food props is kind of Quint Kessenich's thing though, it just happened to be in the same broadcast as the graphic calling him out, which didn't help matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Going at Petersen that hard is pretty lovely, but Petersen being so mad about it is insane to me.

a) his apology to the fans for the late start times is ridiculous, because they're starting games at 7 or 8 local time, which is no different than anyone on the East Coast.

b) Being on tv concurrent with Big Ten, ACC, SEC games is NOT going to get more people to watch their games. I can understand the idea that not many people are watching that late at night, but you're going to get far less earlier in the day on the East Coast and the numbers clearly back that up.

Both sides are being idiots here.