Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

artsy fartsy posted:

I just watched The Postman for the first time ever and I thought it was pretty good. :confused:

The villain is one of those MRA dudes, right? That was neat.

I remember it being mostly ok but way too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Me. I don't like the notification page, the swipe ups and down, left right, it's confusing. Accidentally swipe down on the home page and suddenly a search bar shows up. The gently caress? I don't like how all the apps are stuck together in a grid. Feels more like a jail. Android sucked in 4.0 but they've made steady improvements since then and I can't us anything else now.

My absolute least favorite thing about the temp Apple phone I'm using (android stopped charging) is that the notifications pop up at the top of the screen and overlap search bars and interrupt other notifications. Someone I didn't want to know I could see them snap chatting me? Tough, I tried to search for a recipe right when their snap went through. And then you have to wait or turn the screen on and off again to get the thing to go away. Apple is a nightmare of bad decisions from what I can tell and I never was an either or person before

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
GBS is taking a mighty turn for the worse just a couple months after I started posting and I'm bummed as hell.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Spinster posted:

GBS is taking a mighty turn for the worse just a couple months after I started posting and I'm bummed as hell.

It's a culture war at the moment

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Spinster posted:

I haven't seen a decline in quality, just more lowtax threads than usual. I'm maybe not the best judge of post quality though considering my posting, which is, in fact, poo poo.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Did you know Waterworld is also actually an OK movie?

Waterworld was a movie with a neat concept and that's about it. It's dull as hell otherwise, and the world itself is like the lamest thing ever.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Three things I can still visually remember from Waterworld: the floating town, the underwater city, and ordering boats to attack with semaphore. Those were all interesting enough to stay with me

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The_Rob posted:

Waterworld was a movie with a neat concept and that's about it. It's dull as hell otherwise, and the world itself is like the lamest thing ever.

The score is great and its got some good set pieces. And like you said, the concept is good. But there should have been more pizazz or whatever you want to call it. More oomph. Like sea monsters and poo poo, more mutants, more weird poo poo. I like the idea of an entire planet covered in water, or covered in like 95% water or something. It shouldn't have been Earth, though. The idea that the Earth could be entirely covered in water because of melting glaciers and icecaps was a little silly. Maybe it could have been an alien world that humans settled and then a cataclysm set them back for a few centuries?? Or maybe just make it a fantasy world. But despite all the flaws, I like the movie.

Anyone remember the cartoon show Pirates of Dark Water? That would make a rad-rear end movie.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Blue Star posted:

Anyone remember the cartoon show Pirates of Dark Water? That would make a rad-rear end movie.

NOY JITAT!

(Any excuse to say that is a good excuse.)

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Blue Star posted:

The score is great and its got some good set pieces. And like you said, the concept is good. But there should have been more pizazz or whatever you want to call it. More oomph. Like sea monsters and poo poo, more mutants, more weird poo poo. I like the idea of an entire planet covered in water, or covered in like 95% water or something. It shouldn't have been Earth, though. The idea that the Earth could be entirely covered in water because of melting glaciers and icecaps was a little silly. Maybe it could have been an alien world that humans settled and then a cataclysm set them back for a few centuries?? Or maybe just make it a fantasy world. But despite all the flaws, I like the movie.

I tried going back and watching PoDW and hooo boy is it bad.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Joey Freshwater posted:

I tried going back and watching PoDW and hooo boy is it bad.

Ive watched it recently too (a few years ago) and its got all the same problems other children's cartoons have. But it has a cool setting and would be a very different type of fantasy world that we're used to seeing (pseudo-europe with knights, castles, horses, elves).

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

The_Rob posted:

The Waterworld show at Universal Studios is cool

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't Waterworld one of those movies where the story behind it is almost more interesting than the film itself? I think it constantly went over-budget.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
They build a huge water set that was promptly destroyed by a storm and had to be rebuild, IIRC.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's just a Mad Max knockoff in the ocean with a global warming message. The budget wasn't that crazy and it was profitable if you count worldwide. And the Universal Studios live show is actually really good and has been running 20+ years. It's action packed with lots of jet ski stunts and explosions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdsFdoUGIGc&t=1014s

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Spinster posted:

Welcome to PYF. It's extremely good and chill here.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Slime posted:

this is the unpopular opinion thread not the self absorbed shithead opinion thread

Here's my unpopular opinion: You're not completely terrible, just mostly terrible
Uh, OK? I'm sorry if I offended you, though I don't know how I did. :confused:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Uh, OK? I'm sorry if I offended you, though I don't know how I did. :confused:

I'm assuming he is pointing out that what matters is what they want to be called, not what you hypothetically would. That said, it does seem like a pretty small thing to get so worked up over and he needs to get his short temper under control.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

Isn't Waterworld one of those movies where the story behind it is almost more interesting than the film itself? I think it constantly went over-budget.

Didn't they spend insane amounts of money using CGI to cover Costner's baldness?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

With all this talk about supposedly bad kevin costner movies, I hope we can all agree his best one is Tin Cup. It also has the distinction of being the only thing ever played on the golf channel worth tuning in to.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I'm assuming he is pointing out that what matters is what they want to be called, not what you hypothetically would.
Well, I'm not posting in this thread because it matters what I think. :shrug:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Well, I'm not posting in this thread because it matters what I think. :shrug:

I was just guessing what his motivation for that post was, not agreeing with it, to be clear.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
The Postman with Kevin Costner is a good movie.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Did you know Waterworld is also actually an OK movie?
A lot of legendary box office bombs aren't actually bad, just not great, and way too expensive to be profitable. Cutthroat Island is lot more fun than Waterworld, and you can instantly see where all the money went--it looks wonderful. (As an aside, Geena Davis still looks amazing at 60.)

Caufman posted:

Three things I can still visually remember from Waterworld: the floating town, the underwater city, and ordering boats to attack with semaphore. Those were all interesting enough to stay with me
The problem with Waterworld is that it looks like every other goddamn 90s action movie. There's that straight-ahead, evenly-lit, functional, extremely bland cinematography, and a collection of cliches that has to be run through--there has to be some hand-to-hand combat, an escape from a death trap, a car chase, a scene where the hero has to swing on ropes like Tarzan, a scene where he has to run away from an explosion, etc. You remember these things because they're what makes it atypical--like, besides the semaphore, there's not much to distinguish the boat chases in Waterworld from the car chases in a Mad Max sequel.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I'm assuming he is pointing out that what matters is what they want to be called, not what you hypothetically would. That said, it does seem like a pretty small thing to get so worked up over and he needs to get his short temper under control.

was that on purpose or was it just a happy coincidence

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Halloween Jack posted:

A lot of legendary box office bombs aren't actually bad, just not great, and way too expensive to be profitable. Cutthroat Island is lot more fun than Waterworld, and you can instantly see where all the money went--it looks wonderful. (As an aside, Geena Davis still looks amazing at 60.)

Granted, it wasn't a bomb as much as it wasn't as big a hit as it needed to be, but I was disappointed to learn recently that Shane Black's script for The Long Kiss Goodnight ended with one of those "Charly Baltimore will return..." lines like a James Bond movie. :(

As for Cutthroat Island, I remember getting really excited for it when I was little seeing all the ads and trailers, then when it came out it sunk and I never saw it, then about 10 years later when the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie came out, I thought it was the same thing it had just had a really long gap between the trailer and the film. :v:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Slime posted:

was that on purpose or was it just a happy coincidence

On purpose but I confess it was pretty low effort.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pastry of the Year posted:

Now that's an unpopular opinion!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Now that's an unpopular opinion!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

Did they even have time to post in the PYF own picture thread so we could judge them jugs-and-anus-wise before getting banned?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

The problem with Waterworld is that it looks like every other goddamn 90s action movie. There's that straight-ahead, evenly-lit, functional, extremely bland cinematography, and a collection of cliches that has to be run through--there has to be some hand-to-hand combat, an escape from a death trap, a car chase, a scene where the hero has to swing on ropes like Tarzan, a scene where he has to run away from an explosion, etc. You remember these things because they're what makes it atypical--like, besides the semaphore, there's not much to distinguish the boat chases in Waterworld from the car chases in a Mad Max sequel.

Cutthroat Island is horrible, soulless and boring. So are all the Pirates of the Caribbean movies though, so maybe this is PHUO.

Also, the thing that distinguishes Mad Max sequels from Waterworld or every other goddamn 90s action movie is that they have style, vision, and are actually good (except Thunderdome :().

doverhog has a new favorite as of 17:32 on Oct 6, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Thunderdome has the best song, at least.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

doverhog posted:

Cutthroat Island is horrible, soulless and boring. So are all the Pirates of the Caribbean movies though, so maybe this is PHUO.

Also, the thing that distinguishes Mad Max sequels from Waterworld or every other goddamn 90s action movie is that they have style, vision, and are actually good (except Thunderdome :().

I thought the first Pirates was pretty good but I'd definitely agree about the rest

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Spinster posted:

Jerry Cotton posted:

Did they even have time to post in the PYF own picture thread so we could judge them jugs-and-anus-wise before getting banned?

A decent poster has been banned and may not come back. Survivable, but sad.

GBS is a barn that animals go to poop in. And then they play with their poop while thinking about eating their young. I go there six, maybe twenty times a day.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Caufman posted:

GBS is a barn that animals go to poop in. And then they play with their poop while thinking about eating their young. I go there six, maybe twenty times a day.
he got banned for defending a nazi, pretty sure that's not sad by any rational definition

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The ban was for sassing Lowtax, let's not kid ourselves here. *bow*

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Caufman posted:

GBS is a good forum where the strong thrive and the weak perish.

doverhog posted:

The ban was for sassing Lowtax, let's not kid ourselves here. *bow*

For telling Lowtax he's a terrible monster who makes fun of self proclaimed Nazis. On a forum that got its start mocking terrible online personalities.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
She's not a holocaust denier and she's not defending anyone's Nazi views. She took repeated and escalating issue with a thread that weirded me out, too. No one here is a saint, and I don't usually have opinions about moderation. This one, though, excessive and sad.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

GBS is a good forum where the strong thrive and the weak perish.

I enjoy my pals in the Doobie thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

For telling Lowtax he's a terrible monster who makes fun of self proclaimed Nazis. On a forum that got its start mocking terrible online personalities.

I've no interest in debating the merits, and in fact posted as a gentle reminder to us all that we live in this virtual space by the grace of Lowtax. He's a virtual god, and he will smite you if he wants.