Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
e: wtf is going on with the forums. before I posted this post, loading this page did this

on the topic list it also said last post was from mononcqc but I don't see a post from him

Flat Daddy fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
zdrs deleted posts are messing up the forums

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Shaggar posted:

server side rendering is better than javascript any day of the year.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
or once webassembly comes out, client side rendering in c#

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Flat Daddy posted:

on the topic list it also said last post was from mononcqc but I don't see a post from him

yeah I posted but it never appeared. maybe it's for the best though

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
server side rendering gives you a nice simple mental model because your DOM contents are determined purely by the contents of your viewbag or w/e and nothing else. i.e. single source of truth. to debug why my HTML looks like this, I look at my http call going to the server, look at the viewbag values coming back, and at my template.

jQuery and angular hosed with this by making your DOM contents determined by a combination of viewbag from server, users manipulating the DOM via interaction, your lovely JS code that probably mutates DOM manually and uses global variables, a mess of event handlers, etc. no single source of truth. I'd rather kill myself than debug this.

redux is basically the same mental model as server-side rendering, except replace viewbag with redux store and replace http requests with redux actions.
to see why my DOM looks a certain way, I just trace what actions were dispatched by my components and see how those actions modified the store. since my DOM is literally a (pure) function of the contents of the store, I can figure out from there exactly what part of my component tree is loving up.

not to mention this owns bc every part of this is deterministic so I can literally rewind user actions and play them back and see the store contents at any given time in a session. and when I do notice a bug in, say, a reducer, I can use my time travel slider to put me exactly where the bug occurred, then copy my previous state, last action, and current buggy state as JS objects straight into a unit test

Flat Daddy fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 6, 2017

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'm still very tepid on Redux. I use it, but only for things that need to interact with Sagas. Pretty much I use it to hold mapped responses to GET requests, but then I'll have view components that sort and paginate and display those data sets, and that side of things is handled in local state within higher-order components.

Didn't even know "Flux Standard Actions" was a thing either, will look into it. I tried coming up with my own solution to this sort of problem but because I'm dumb and bad I abandoned it.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sapozhnik posted:

I'm still very tepid on Redux. I use it, but only for things that need to interact with Sagas. Pretty much I use it to hold mapped responses to GET requests, but then I'll have view components that sort and paginate and display those data sets, and that side of things is handled in local state within higher-order components.

Didn't even know "Flux Standard Actions" was a thing either, will look into it. I tried coming up with my own solution to this sort of problem but because I'm dumb and bad I abandoned it.

check this out too https://github.com/agraboso/redux-api-middleware
it's another way to take care of started/done/failed boilerplate.

one thing I really want is a swagger codegen that creates RSAA-returning functions to use with this

e: RSAA just is another standard action format like FSA but it describes a full http request lifecycle

Flat Daddy fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 6, 2017

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

quiggy posted:

boy c++ it sure would be nice if you had literally any reflection at all

lol you can't even get a printable string with the name of a type

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

hackbunny posted:

lol you can't even get a printable string with the name of a type

i have a suite of classes that encapsulate three primitive types and one stl type: bool, double, int, and std::string. i had to create a Type enum with values BOOL, DOUBLE, INT, and STRING to do some of what i want :cripes:

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Flat Daddy posted:

server side rendering gives you a nice simple mental model because your DOM contents are determined purely by the contents of your viewbag or w/e and nothing else. i.e. single source of truth. to debug why my HTML looks like this, I look at my http call going to the server, look at the viewbag values coming back, and at my template.

jQuery and angular hosed with this by making your DOM contents determined by a combination of viewbag from server, users manipulating the DOM via interaction, your lovely JS code that probably mutates DOM manually and uses global variables, a mess of event handlers, etc. no single source of truth. I'd rather kill myself than debug this.

redux is basically the same mental model as server-side rendering, except replace viewbag with redux store and replace http requests with redux actions.
to see why my DOM looks a certain way, I just trace what actions were dispatched by my components and see how those actions modified the store. since my DOM is literally a (pure) function of the contents of the store, I can figure out from there exactly what part of my component tree is loving up.

not to mention this owns bc every part of this is deterministic so I can literally rewind user actions and play them back and see the store contents at any given time in a session. and when I do notice a bug in, say, a reducer, I can use my time travel slider to put me exactly where the bug occurred, then copy my previous state, last action, and current buggy state as JS objects straight into a unit test

what tool are you using to do this? i got the same tech stack, but i don't know of any tooling for it so debugging and building currently sucks rear end for me.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

tef posted:

pay rent

u wanna move to MN and work on crusty old webforms?

e: we also got a react thing kind of bolted on to the side of it

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

HoboMan posted:

what tool are you using to do this? i got the same tech stack, but i don't know of any tooling for it so debugging and building currently sucks rear end for me.

Redux has a browser extension and debug add-on for in app use that let you rewind and all that poo poo.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

necrotic posted:

Redux has a browser extension and debug add-on for in app use that let you rewind and all that poo poo.

in chrome? i tried this and it reliably crashed chrome

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

HoboMan posted:

https://github.com/gaearon/redux-devtools + the browser extension for it. and the Facebook browser extension for react dev tools.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

HoboMan posted:

in chrome? i tried this and it reliably crashed chrome

You can use the entire thing in-app with no browser extension. You gotta configure redux to work with the dev tool in either case. I've not had crash issues.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
we may be hiring soon. I'm psyched. gonna get a qa manager

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Flat Daddy posted:

e: wtf is going on with the forums. before I posted this post, loading this page did this

this thread has a permanent off-by-one error and if that one bridges a page, the buttons for the next page will be enabled even though the page doesn't exist yet

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
when ZDRs posts got hosed it affected the page count of the thread but the last viewed calculator is either cached out of date or doesn't take total post count into account so we get an always wrong unread post count and in the case of the Microsoft thread the missing unread post count is enough to put the last unread page link onto a non-existent page.

or something like that

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Shaggar posted:

we may be hiring soon. I'm psyched. gonna get a qa manager

i want a real qa team so bad

currently it's a bunch of BAs that are supposed to do it in their down time. guess how well that works?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

when ZDRs posts got hosed it affected the page count of the thread but the last viewed calculator is either cached out of date or doesn't take total post count into account so we get an always wrong unread post count and in the case of the Microsoft thread the missing unread post count is enough to put the last unread page link onto a non-existent page.

or something like that

weirdly enough qcs tech thread works fine and zdr is ought to have dozens of pages of his posts alone there

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah must be something else in there too

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

HoboMan posted:

i want a real qa team so bad

currently it's a bunch of BAs that are supposed to do it in their down time. guess how well that works?

so you basically have a full time QA team, is what you're saying

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Flat Daddy posted:

https://github.com/gaearon/redux-devtools + the browser extension for it. and the Facebook browser extension for react dev tools.

tyvm

question 2: how do i get my poo poo to build properly without me having to nuke my project from orbit and then reinstall everything every time?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

weirdly enough qcs tech thread works fine and zdr is ought to have dozens of pages of his posts alone there

it only happens when there's some specific difference between the actual postcount and the bugged +zdr postcount. probably when it's enough that the inflated +zdr count would indicate a new page but there's not actually a new page.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

HoboMan posted:

tyvm

question 2: how do i get my poo poo to build properly without me having to nuke my project from orbit and then reinstall everything every time?

What do you mean? How does poo poo break if you haven't changed anything?

Check out create-react-app if you're frustrated and want a simple setup that just works. Also use yarn or NPM >=5 for package lock and deterministic dependencies because npm is trash fire.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

necrotic posted:

What do you mean? How does poo poo break if you haven't changed anything?

i have no loving clue

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

server side rendering is better than javascript any day of the year.

i wish u would postback to wherever u came from

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

HoboMan posted:

i have no loving clue

I meant how as in what breaks not how did it break suddenly. Build error? Runtime error? Something else entirely?

Poor wording on my part

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

cis autodrag posted:

it only happens when there's some specific difference between the actual postcount and the bugged +zdr postcount. probably when it's enough that the inflated +zdr count would indicate a new page but there's not actually a new page.

The Metal Gear Solid thread in Games is four posts into the next page and it's still broken. :allears:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Elysiume posted:

this thread has a permanent off-by-one error and if that one bridges a page, the buttons for the next page will be enabled even though the page doesn't exist yet

that had been the case

it's significantly worse now, with a permanent link on my control panel

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I wonder if the original extra post was a post that was deleted in the far-past and that's why the thread has been slightly broken

And now it's really broken

Trump and boston threads just closed and made new ones which is pretty hosed up

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

necrotic posted:

I meant how as in what breaks not how did it break suddenly. Build error? Runtime error? Something else entirely?

Poor wording on my part

oh. it builds ok, but throws a million runtimes about how poo poo is undefined or does not exist

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

CPColin posted:

The Metal Gear Solid thread in Games is four posts into the next page and it's still broken. :allears:
it was around 25 before the last page in the microsoft thread showed up

the real worst part is people are going to be discovering this for the first time over the course of the next month, like with the broken chrome anchor links

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

post some fuckin error messages dude

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3648105&userid=72615&perpage=40&pagenumber=8

the ghost posts are still there

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

btw it died again

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
that it did, keep screaming into the void i guess

(seriously lol this poo poo is never going to get fixed just euthanize the threads that have database cancer and start again)

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

The Bloodborne thread is up to 19 ghost posts, look quickly before the forums start eating them again.

Van Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Van Kraken posted:

The Bloodborne thread is up to 19 ghost posts, look quickly before the forums start eating them again.

36 in microsoft thread

• Locked thread