Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wow, all of those Milestone books have Hudlin writing. That's a clean sweep of not reading for me. The Pak one might be salvageable. Static Shock with Kyle Baker, is it going to be lovely poser model Kyle Baker or has the real Kyle Baker returned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rebirth branding is going away in December.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/10/06/end-dc-rebirth-announced-new-york-comic-con/
Here's the new cover layout.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Hm, I like it but I kind of want them to still retain some sort of indicator of the story arc going on. I feel that's really helpful for keeping track, considering that neither of the Big Two really have a "one-and-done" model for their mainline stuff.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That looks significantly better

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Drop the little character logo and it would be perfect.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rhyno posted:

Only if they replace it with the heads of the characters appearing in the book.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

purple death ray posted:

I don't care for that. I'd also like them to move beyond the current barcodes into a QR code of some sort, just get as much crap off the cover as possible without pushing it to the back like Image does.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I like the character logo so they should keep it just for me.

Roth fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 6, 2017

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rhyno posted:

Drop the little character logo and it would be perfect classic Marvel.

there you go.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

McCloud posted:

First of all, I had no idea DC had a press release about it. I did see a few articles spoiling the decision, but guess what those articles had? Spoiler alerts! So people like me could avoid them!

Since you haven't read it, here are the rules for spoilers in BSS

Second, gently caress off with the "I'm sorry you were offended" non-apology. Look, you hosed up. The proper response isn't to make excuses or deflect blame like you are doing with this post, it's to own up to your mistake, apologise and then move the gently caress on.

Fine I apologize again for spoiling you. But you are still cursing up a storm at me and it isn't called for. Just how many times do you have to say gently caress to someone before you realize that maybe there are better ways to handle a person making a mistake? I'm done derailing the thread over this. Just do the world a favor and don't act like a jackass to another human being the next time they make a mistake and apologize for it.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Trast posted:

Fine I apologize again for spoiling you. But you are still cursing up a storm at me and it isn't called for. Just how many times do you have to say gently caress to someone before you realize that maybe there are better ways to handle a person making a mistake? I'm done derailing the thread over this. Just do the world a favor and don't act like a jackass to another human being the next time they make a mistake and apologize for it.

You're not apologizing "again", you're apologizing for the first time. Do you understand this? I'm not being sarcastic or snippy, I'm genuinely asking.

Saying "Sorry if you didn't see it " is like saying "Sorry you were offended". It's deflecting responsibility (and blame) of what you did wrong and assigning it to the aggrieved party. It's the apology of a person who knows he should apologise, but doesn't actually want to admit any fault.

This is not so much about the spoiler anymore, because who the gently caress cares, it's a comic book about a two furries getting married, but it is much more about your behaviour. When confronted with something you did wrong, you chose to make yourself a victim, offered excuses for your behavior and a non-apology implying I was the one at fault for the conflict, and then try to make me seem like a douche (something I really don't need any help with, thank you very much).

This is the internet, and as such hyperbole is abundant, and it was in that spirit that I wrote what I wrote. I should have been less abrasive, and I'll chose my words more carefully in the future. But for your own sake, when you want to apologise, own up to your mistake, don't do an halfassed "I'm sorry you were offended" half measure. And I mean that earnestly and sincerely, because it took me a long time to learn how to do that myself.

McCloud fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 6, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You both have PMs so if you want to address this any further do it there and not here.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
I picked up Batwoman Rebirth #1. Color me interested. I did indeed enjoy her story in the original 52. How is this series? I heard that she got really hosed over in The New 52 because they took away her ending because editorial didn't agree with the writers or something. I'm hoping the situation is better now.

Also, is Rene Matoya still the Question? If so, where can I read her?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Zoro posted:

I picked up Batwoman Rebirth #1. Color me interested. I did indeed enjoy her story in the original 52. How is this series? I heard that she got really hosed over in The New 52 because they took away her ending because editorial didn't agree with the writers or something. I'm hoping the situation is better now.

Also, is Rene Matoya still the Question? If so, where can I read her?

The original team quit on the N52 run because of editorial edicts involving her getting married if I remember correctly.

To your second question, no.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Marguerite Bennett is happily working on Batwoman as far as we know.
The first arc has been a bit flat for me, but if you enjoyed that Rebirth issue, go get it.

Rene Matoya Question was brought back for a nice little two-shot from Rucka during an event called Convergence (characters from different DC eras fighting it out.)
The main event was terrible, but you don't need to read it.
Here's the collection of tie-ins it's bundled in https://www.amazon.com/Convergence-Flashpoint-Book-Greg-Rucka/dp/1401258352
That also comes with the Superman story which is where his Rebirth journey actually starts. The other ones aren't that interesting, or are straight bad in Batgirl's case.
You can just get the two issues by themselves digitally https://www.comixology.com/Convergence-The-Question-2015-1/digital-comic/206549?ref=c2VyaWVzL3ZpZXcvZGVza3RvcC9ncmlkTGlzdC9Jc3N1ZXM

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve Orlando just announced a new series with a group of new characters. Ryan Sook on art :toot:
https://twitter.com/thesteveorlando/status/916393531526193152

And there's a Barry vs Wally Flash War event coming.
http://www.cbr.com/flash-war-barry-allen-vs-wally-west/

edit:

Rhyno posted:

As long as we bring back the not just for kids badge instead.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 6, 2017

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
These are the first six pages of Doomsday Clock #1, penciled and inked and lettered

http://www.dccomics.com/reader/#/comics/433545

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
[quote="“purple death ray”" post="“477116064”"]
[/quote]

Didn't Marvel do that with X-Men and Avengers?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ElNarez posted:

These are the first six pages of Doomsday Clock #1, penciled and inked and lettered

This book already feels incredibly surreal

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ElNarez posted:

Well, from the get go is deviating from the Original. I'm intrigued.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Doomsday Clock: I'm betting that Rorshach isn't Walter Kovacs. The journal entry felt really out of character for him.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
lol at how Trump supporters are the objectively correct side in that comic for wanting Adrian Veidt brought to justice.

Also Dan Didio is in the prison for authorizing a Watchmen sequel.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

lol at how Trump supporters are the objectively correct side in that comic for wanting Adrian Veidt brought to justice.

Also Dan Didio is in the prison for authorizing a Watchmen sequel.

What? I thought Trump supporters like DC because they weren't SJW Marvel or something? Who is Adrian Veidt?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Zoro posted:

What? I thought Trump supporters like DC because they weren't SJW Marvel or something? Who is Adrian Veidt?

Ozymandias.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

gently caress, it's been forever since I read Watchman. Forgot his real name.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I did not really enjoy those six pages. They felt way too try-hard.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

lol at how Trump supporters are the objectively correct side in that comic

On the other hand,

Representing handwriting by using lowercase a's and e's is really weird. e: Okay. That was in the original. nm

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Oct 7, 2017

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

X-O posted:

So your run of the mill Geoff Johns event.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Imagine that a writer best known for superhero event comics attempted to write Watchmen 2, in his best attempt at an Alan Moore pastiche. Imagine that he apparently thought Rorschach was a sympathetic character. Imagine that he crammed in hamfisted parallels to current real-world events. Imagine that whole thing crossed over with the DC Universe for added controversy and sales.

Good news, everyone! You don't have to imagine anymore!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

X-O posted:

So basically like Watchmen then :v:

I mean...I kid, but those pages actually do engender the sort of crushing queasiness that Watchmen evoked in me. I absolutely feel like those pages, and this storyline, come from that world. And that world sucks, so why shouldn't I feel crushingly queasy about it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

They felt really hollow for how hard they were trying.

BrianWilly posted:

So basically like Watchmen then :v:

Not at all. Watchmen was pretty meticulously crafted. This just feels like... well someone trying to do a Sequel. Maybe it'll have an interesting idea but so far it doesn't. There's very little interesting framework in the opening panels either artistically or writing-wise. It doesn't remotely grab you the way the original did.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I'm just fascinated that this takes place explicitly in 1992 but the story involves a militarily belligerent Russia interfering in American politics and also (successfully) disrupting the European Union which didn't even form until 1993 in the real world, meanwhile there are "Undeplorables" and a border wall and President Trump but also William F. Buckley and uh maybe antifa fighting the alt-right both of which are equally bad and uh

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Ah, the Archer timeline.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Edge & Christian posted:

I'm just fascinated that this takes place explicitly in 1992 but the story involves a militarily belligerent Russia interfering in American politics and also (successfully) disrupting the European Union which didn't even form until 1993 in the real world, meanwhile there are "Undeplorables" and a border wall and President Trump but also William F. Buckley and uh maybe antifa fighting the alt-right both of which are equally bad and uh

of all the Watchmen characters to deliver a horseshoe theory hot take

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

On the other hand,

Representing handwriting by using lowercase a's and e's is really weird.

Okay, that got a chuckle from me.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Zoro posted:

So... what apparently made you decide now is the best time to get into comics?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

It's a growth industry!

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Nuns with Guns posted:

So... what apparently made you decide now is the best time to get into comics?

I was looking for an escape from American politics.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Zoro posted:

I was looking for an escape from American politics.

You poor summer child

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

https://www.newsarama.com/36784-nycc-17-geoff-johns-doomsday-clock-panel.html

quote:

Johns says that the story definitely has political overtones because he doesn't think anyone can write a story in the Watchmen universe with it being political. "I think this world is about extreme... We're so bombarded by things where you have to pick a side and Rorschach is a character that refuses to do that." - Johns

lmao, Rorschach as radical centrist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I just want to read this just to see where it goes really.