Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

PT6A posted:

On the other hand, maybe if we white folks hadn't been so skeptical when people of colour were telling us there's a bunch of really loving racist people around, we could've at least tried to address the problem and avoided this shitshow of a presidency.

On the other, other hand, now its in everyone's loving faces, the gloves are off, the masks are off, they're unafraid to reveal themselves, and that wouldn't have happened if Hilary had won. And black folks are getting a looooot of apologies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Pander posted:

I swear they're the only group that has the ability to make clueless evangelicals suddenly grasp downsides to "FREEDOM FOR RELIGION!" poo poo.

Muslims (and Nation of Islam) managed to make Louisiana's "give all the school money to religious schools" legislators go :stare: :stonk: :supaburn:

by asking to use voucher money to support good schools for some of the poorest folks of color in the state

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

evilweasel posted:

all you did was reiterate your dumb argument this was not a thing to draw clicks by having brietbart attack these women it was to get brietbart to attack these women to hurt these women

Yeah Auerbach's boohoo :qq: I don't believe you care about getting the facts right. You never have :qq: is the biggest tell he did this to be a dipshit, nothing more, and now he's caught.

oath2order posted:

The whole thing is deeply unsettling.

Also your friend is a dipshit.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Why are they looking specifically for a woman to be CEO anyway? If they're qualified absolutely but hiring someone specifically because of their race/gender seems weird and token-y.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Verranicus posted:

Why are they looking specifically for a woman to be CEO anyway? If they're qualified absolutely but hiring someone specifically because of their race/gender seems weird and token-y.

Because they desperately need good press. It's 100% weird and token-y.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

:laffo:

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Uncleanly Cleric posted:

Yeah, it sort of reads as a way for people to file complaints because a gay co-worker got upset when they were called "fag" and reported it to HR. Not as a thing for Muslims or Wiccans or whatever to use as well.

Seeing this the same time as Session's federal God-memo on DOJ letterhead and this weekend's dominionist rally in D.C., and Mr. Ten Commandments Moore, tells me they have plans for this to go further. There's a very real sort of people, both outside the government - and in - that would like very much if God's law was applied before man's.

The stated goals of this rally.

quote:

-Decree the removing, resigning, or reforming of four more Supreme Court justices-

-Pray for the Court’s “covenant with death” to be annulled! Isaiah 28:18 (Isaiah:28 is about a kickin' metal battle with a sea serpent, named ABORTION) :black101:

-Exalt our Lord Jesus Christ over the court as the Judge of judges. Psalm 82 (Quite literally God is the only JUDGE that matters.)

-Pray Isaiah 1:26 for our courts to be restored to biblical ideologies of justice and righteousness:

Isaiah 1:26I will restore your leaders as in days of old,
your rulers as at the beginning.
Afterward you will be called
the City of Righteousness,
the Faithful City.”

Isaiah:1:4

Woe to the sinful nation,
a people whose guilt is great,
a brood of evildoers,
children given to corruption!
They have forsaken the Lord;
they have spurned the Holy One of Israel
and turned their backs on him.

:whitewater:

Here's hoping it has the turnout of the inauguration. But, Let Tangerine Scream (Pence/Sessions) replace too many seats on the Supreme Court, and that just makes me nervous, no matter how unlikely.

e- OMG of course the abortion is a sea serpent. What do you do in the sea? RoworWade. :downsrim:

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 7, 2017

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Muslims (and Nation of Islam) managed to make Louisiana's "give all the school money to religious schools" legislators go :stare: :stonk: :supaburn:

by asking to use voucher money to support good schools for some of the poorest folks of color in the state

Lol do you have a source? Because if love to see rightwing christians put in the position of defending Sharia schools

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Verranicus posted:

Uber is an extremely sketchy company which is currently having their service banned in various countries, so it might be a "glass cliff" type thing where they specifically look for a female CEO to act as a scapegoat during times of turmoil.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Because they desperately need good press. It's 100% weird and token-y.

Yeah but how is it good press if it's obvious they're just doing it for good press? I've never understood people trying to force certain quotas of people into workplaces, it always comes off artificial and almost worse than if they hadn't done anything.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Well, this seems like it is going to turn into a shitshow next week

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/ICE-California-arrest-immigration-sanctuary-brown-12259511.php

ICE official: Agency will arrest at California worksites

quote:

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — In another sign of escalating tensions between President Donald Trump's administration and California, the nation's top immigration official said Friday his agency will have "no choice" but to arrest immigrants who are in the country illegally in California's neighborhoods and worksites.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement will also likely have to place immigrants arrested in California in out-of-state detention centers, ICE Acting Director Thomas Homan said in a statement.

Homan's comments came a day after Gov. Jerry Brown signed bill SB54, or sanctuary state legislation.

Starting Jan. 1, police will be barred from asking people about their immigration status or participating in federal immigration enforcement activities. Jail officials only will be allowed to transfer inmates to federal immigration authorities if they have been convicted of certain crimes.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Verranicus posted:

Yeah but how is it good press if it's obvious they're just doing it for good press? I've never understood people trying to force certain quotas of people into workplaces, it always comes off artificial and almost worse than if they hadn't done anything.

Because oftentimes the culture there is so toxic that enforced quotas are the only way they approach the parity they should have. In this case they have so much bad press about their toxic culture that every woman they approach goes LOLNO.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Verranicus posted:

People are really loving stupid.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

How likely is it that the GOP and Florida will reject and deport these people ASAP?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Crabtree posted:

How likely is it that the GOP and Florida will reject and deport these people ASAP?

They're already American Citizens, so that would be tough to do

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's not illegal to move to Florida...

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Crabtree posted:

Hmm, you mean the American citizens currently moving to FL? I think deporting them might be difficult, President Trump.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's not illegal to move to Florida...

No, but it should be.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

They're already American Citizens, so that would be tough to do

Pretty sure I already had this argument with morons in this thread. :v: Well, a marginally less ridiculous hypothetical, but still.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/JStein_Vox/status/916420535692742656
:yikes:

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
I wanted to post this great self own.

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/916426658617454592

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/ICE-California-arrest-immigration-sanctuary-brown-12259511.php

ICE is a terrorist organization employed by the Republicans.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Ha, I came here to post this. That honestly reads like something Brendan O'Hare would post but I know that stupid racist isn't clever enough to be mimicking his style.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm not actually sure where the line is on what cooperation you can prevent officers from having with ICE. I know you can't legally prevent them from inquiring WITH ICE about the legal status of a person, and I know there are some kinds of information they can relatedly provide ICE without official departmental backlash.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 7, 2017

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

RiggenBlaque posted:

Ha, I came here to post this. That honestly reads like something Brendan O'Hare would post but I know that stupid racist isn't clever enough to be mimicking his style.

It's like a Ken M post.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/ChadPergram/status/916421096609583106

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/916421811662925834

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

The Phlegmatist posted:

Hmm, you mean the American citizens currently moving to FL? I think deporting them might be difficult, President Trump.

Yeah but I can already hear the lovely "lazy Puerto Ricians leave island instead of fixing it" RWM attacks and ICE looking at their skin tone, asking for their birth certificates and not caring about the records were destroyed in a hurricane.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Way earlier in the year I got excoriated (rightfully so) for using the term "virtue signalling" which I was ignorant of the context of, trying to describe how it felt false seeing the takes of some leftists on Twitter. This particular term of course, and the sentiment itself, is often used by assholes to say "everyone is an rear end in a top hat just like me, people saying otherwise are pretending because everyone in reality shares my opinions".

Another term I've seen for it that doesn't have quite the same connotation was "performative wokeness".

But this summer, it feels like everyone (at least all white cismen) IS actually that rear end in a top hat.

Nick Robinson sliding into dms, Joss Whedon writing a letter to his wife saying he had to cheat on her due to his access to starlets as a feminist, Devin Faraci grabbing a woman by the pussy, Harvey Weinstein being a serial sexual harasser and assaulter, and today a loving motherlode of left or left friendly journalists who as it turns out were up Milo's rear end in a top hat the whole time.

At this point who can be loving trusted? Is there a single white man on the internet who shouldn't be regarded immediately with suspicion? How can we loving identify these people beforehand, if they are actively going to be assisting harassers?

I don't even trust myself at this point, I find myself going back through my twenties and trying to go over all the lovely stuff I did or said to anyone.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pander posted:

I swear they're the only group that has the ability to make clueless evangelicals suddenly grasp downsides to "FREEDOM FOR RELIGION!" poo poo.

God bless those Satanists

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

The Glumslinger posted:

I wonder how the country will react to the first cop to kill an ICE agent when both were in the line of duty.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Glumslinger posted:

"Immigration and Customs Enforcement will also likely have to place immigrants arrested in California in out-of-state detention centers, ICE Acting Director Thomas Homan said in a statement."

Goddamn is this one of the worst abuses that ICE pulls and they do it all the loving time, "sanctuary" laws or no. The goal is to make it as financially burdensome as possible for the family or local legal aid organizations supporting the detained person to get an attorney to them. ICE then often follows it up by transferring the person over and over again whenever their lawyer starts showing up on the regular to the new location - all in hopes that the detainee will sign a sheet of paper letting ICE immediately deport them.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Yeah but I can already hear the lovely "lazy Puerto Ricians leave island instead of fixing it" RWM attacks and ICE looking at their skin tone, asking for their birth certificates and not caring about the records were destroyed in a hurricane.

Ugh. The records destruction bit is the first argument I've seen that isn't obviously insane and/or stupid.

That's probably going to be done to a nonzero number of people.

Guess I need to figure out how to incorporate that into my screaming into the void conversations with less psychotic conservatives.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

KickerOfMice posted:

From my local news:

WASHINGTON (AP) – President Donald Trump is heading to Hamburg, Pennsylvania, next week to make his case for an overhaul of the nation’s tax code.

Hamburg PA? I've never heard of it. Wikipedia tell us!

A google maps sattelite pic of, actually very pretty countryside surrounding Hamburg Here.
That is as about Trumptastic as Trump country can get.

But now I want to go to the burger festival.

Hamburg has a median family income of 50,000 USD, which is below the national rate of 59,000 USD. But its poverty rate is 6.2%, half of the US national rate of 14.3%. So it would look like it would be a lower middle class exurb where there isn't a lot of poverty, but where there might be a lot of the "economic anxiety" that people like to talk about. So it does look like a pretty typical Trump town.

This is also a look at what the terrain looks like just outside of Hamburg, and why I would call a place like this an exurb:

https://goo.gl/maps/MVCnAkgAdkA2

Like, to me, once you've reached the six lane roads intersecting with each other in a mess of national chains, with a Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Cabelas, McDonalds, Taco Bell, etc., that is no longer a small town, that is an exurb. I don't know how someone can look at a picture of that and think of that as something that exists in a small town.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

"Immigration and Customs Enforcement will also likely have to place immigrants arrested in California in out-of-state detention centers, ICE Acting Director Thomas Homan said in a statement."

Goddamn is this one of the worst abuses that ICE pills and they do it all the loving time, "sanctuary" laws or no. The goal is to make it as financially burdensome as possible for the family or local legal aid organizations supporting the detained person to get an attorney to them. ICE then often follows it up by transferring the person over and over again whenever their lawyer starts showing up on the regular to the new location - all in hopes that the detainee will sign a sheet of paper letting ICE immediately deport them.

If you have an article or investigation on this or whatever bookmarked I'd truly love it if you would share it with the class, good analysis of ICE procedural shitheadery is important.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Crabtree posted:

I wonder how the country will react to the first cop to kill an ICE agent when both were in the line of duty.

If done in sufficient numbers, it would be a novel way of restoring the relationship between police and the political left.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Crabtree posted:

Watch Trump start a civil war.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

At this point who can be loving trusted? Is there a single white man on the internet who shouldn't be regarded immediately with suspicion? How can we loving identify these people beforehand, if they are actively going to be assisting harassers?

I don't think it's possible to identify whether or not someone is secretly Bad unless you have telepathy.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Way earlier in the year I got excoriated (rightfully so) for using the term "virtue signalling" which I was ignorant of the context of, trying to describe how it felt false seeing the takes of some leftists on Twitter. This particular term of course, and the sentiment itself, is often used by assholes to say "everyone is an rear end in a top hat just like me, people saying otherwise are pretending because everyone in reality shares my opinions".

Another term I've seen for it that doesn't have quite the same connotation was "performative wokeness".

But this summer, it feels like everyone (at least all white cismen) IS actually that rear end in a top hat.

Nick Robinson sliding into dms, Joss Whedon writing a letter to his wife saying he had to cheat on her due to his access to starlets as a feminist, Devin Faraci grabbing a woman by the pussy, Harvey Weinstein being a serial sexual harasser and assaulter, and today a loving motherlode of left or left friendly journalists who as it turns out were up Milo's rear end in a top hat the whole time.

I don't even trust myself at this point, I find myself going back through my twenties and trying to go over all the lovely stuff I did or said to anyone.

Agreed. The alt-right probably invented the term because they personally knew many "woke" men who were bigots in private. So they assume every liberal is like that.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

If done in sufficient numbers, it would be a novel way of restoring the relationship between police and the political left.

I'm already picturing a reverse Trevon Marton where the Californian PD blue shield of ignorance on the cop and absolutely infuriate the right and Trump. Either Trump fails and the right hates cops or they succeed and cripple the police's ability to prevent investigations into their own activities for good pissing off all police unions against the GOP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

MSNBC, NYT, or CNN will hire him within 10 days.

I'll take that bet. It'll be at least a year.

• Locked thread