Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

this poo poo costs enough to where you want to wait and get the new one because it'll most definitely last you a looooooong time until they may or may not eventually decide to make a dominions 6 for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Get em both!

Dom 4 is a good game with a ton of content and loads of mods for balance, new nations, new content for vanilla nations and so on. It's a whole other thing from CoE, and I would describe it as one of the most absorbing experiences that exists. If nothing else, playing some dom 4 is going to tell you if you'll like 5, too.

Dom 5, when it comes out, will be new and fresh, but the user-developed content won't be as embedded. Luckily, the team behind it are being really responsive to balance feedback in the beta, and I would suspect, although I can't say anything concrete, that they will keep up their no added charges for new content + patches forever model they have had since day 1.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

New sountrack teased here

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Get em both!

Dom 4 is a good game with a ton of content and loads of mods for balance, new nations, new content for vanilla nations and so on. It's a whole other thing from CoE, and I would describe it as one of the most absorbing experiences that exists. If nothing else, playing some dom 4 is going to tell you if you'll like 5, too.

Dom 5, when it comes out, will be new and fresh, but the user-developed content won't be as embedded. Luckily, the team behind it are being really responsive to balance feedback in the beta, and I would suspect, although I can't say anything concrete, that they will keep up their no added charges for new content + patches forever model they have had since day 1.

4 is just costly enough that I don't super want to do this

Would going for 3, then jumping to 5 when it comes out make sense? Is 3 substantially worse to play?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Just wait 6 weeks!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ninjewtsu posted:

Would going for 3, then jumping to 5 when it comes out make sense? Is 3 substantially worse to play?

Yes. Since 4 exists, 3 basically looks like it was made by the evil, demented brothers of the devs. Do not go for it, I'm serious!

Just:

How are u posted:

wait 6 weeks!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

ninjewtsu posted:

In that case, I think just waiting for 5 is a good idea, although I recommend nuclearmonkee's video LPs and howareu's great LP topics in our very own forum to tide you over and fill you in on some of the mechanics which mainly hold for 5, too.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 3, 2017

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

lmao ok thanks guys

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
My advice for you on this one Ninjew: it's better to win or die in midgame than go late and spend two hours a turn micromanaging mage scripts.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

obligatory: "dominions has sound?"

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I like the Dominions soundtrack and think its very soothing :(

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

How are u posted:

I like the Dominions soundtrack and think its very soothing :(

I don't have speakers but I can hear it from my headphones sitting on the desk and it lulls me into sleep while I spend an hour dealing with a blood economy.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
There are people who don't think Dominions has awesome music? There may not be a lot of tracks but they are great.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
the dominions soundtrack owns, especially if you replace every sound file with either the elephant or manaed sound file at random

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
Maybe they could balance blood by giving the other magic paths way to generate lots of gems at the expense of the world. I.e let you dig up earth gems from a province giving it permanent penalties to resources but letting you get up to 100-150 earth gems a turn across a whole nation, inflict a ermor esc population reducing disease that generates hordes of death gems, causing rising temperature and unrest in all your provinces in exchange for hundreds of fire gems and so on. The 300-400 blood slaves a turn guaranteed for blood nations is hard to compete with when everything is priced as 2 blood slaves being worth 1 gem and rituals give you maybe 20 gems a turn, and natural income fully searched might be 10-20 gems per path depending on luck.

It could make an interesting end game, if you are summoning hordes of every type of summon, casting big spells on all mages and equipping them with tonnes of boosters and of course thugging out commanders.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Applebee123 posted:

Maybe they could balance blood by giving the other magic paths way to generate lots of gems at the expense of the world. I.e let you dig up earth gems from a province giving it permanent penalties to resources but letting you get up to 100-150 earth gems a turn across a whole nation, inflict a ermor esc population reducing disease that generates hordes of death gems, causing rising temperature and unrest in all your provinces in exchange for hundreds of fire gems and so on. The 300-400 blood slaves a turn guaranteed for blood nations is hard to compete with when everything is priced as 2 blood slaves being worth 1 gem and rituals give you maybe 20 gems a turn, and natural income fully searched might be 10-20 gems per path depending on luck.

It could make an interesting end game, if you are summoning hordes of every type of summon, casting big spells on all mages and equipping them with tonnes of boosters and of course thugging out commanders.

Cold Iron Forge: 5 Earth gems + 1 Earth gem per turn
Province effect, lasts 1 turn plus 1 per additional gem
Consumes half of province resources and gives 1 Earth gem per 100 consumed

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Well, we could make an item for, say 15 water gems and 5 (or 10) nature gems or so that spits out 1 astral pearl a turn...

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Would getting rid of Blood as a tree and putting its spells all over the other trees as appropriate (summons in Conjuration, etc.) make Blood nations stronger or weaker? At first I was thinking that it'd make it so that they don't get so much from one single tree, but then they could get non-Blood spells at the same time, so, I'm not sure. It might vary based on the nation in question, I suppose, what Blood spells they want and what other spells they would like in the same trees.

Obviously wouldn't fix Blood as a whole, but it seemed like it might help a little. And it seems weird that all Blood magic is in one thing, so you can summon crazy demons but not the most basic of ordinary summons.

...And now I have an idea that's sadly beyond the scope of modding and stuff: Blood magic as a research tree not unlocking anything on its own, but rather all Blood spells requiring a certain level of a normal school and Blood research. So Father Illearth would require Conj 8 and Blood 8, for example; one or the other but not both and you can't get him. It seems to both make sense lore-wise (you need to understand both the kind of magic you're doing and have detailed knowledge of the intricacies of blood magic) and be a way to slow Blood nations down or at least make them put in a little more effort for the ridiculous power they get.

Edit: Yes, I know that research is far from the biggest problem with Blood. I'm just saying some ideas I had.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 5, 2017

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Blood on the Brain research level 0 B1 cost 1 slave, gain 100 research

zotz get a nation version that costs 1 less slave

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Decrepus posted:

This is ideal Dominions.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Decrepus posted:

Should be Break your Opponents Soul 1 slave minus one hundred research generation to another player. No resist or range limitation

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Font is now moddable

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Amuys posted:

Font is now moddable

Going to put something terrible into every game I host. Like piss-lakes but more insidious

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

dear god, what horror have they unleashed

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
Wingdings + obscure mods that add lots new spells and items.

You spend the game discovering ancient spells and items that were lost in the previous ascendancy wars and try to figure out what they do.

Also for added fun all base spells/items from the normal game are removed in the mod.

Applebee123 fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Oct 7, 2017

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Applebee123 posted:

You spend the game discovering ancient spells and items that were lost in the previous ascendancy wars and try to figure out what they do.

Also for added fun all base spells/items from the normal game are removed in the mod.

Combine nation-gen and spell-gen with this :eek:

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.

Applebee123 posted:

I would cheat and look at the mod file to figure what each spell does.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Diabl0658 posted:

I would cheat and look at the mod file to figure what each spell does.

MODS??@?@

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

How are u posted:

Combine nation-gen and spell-gen with this :eek:

Wait, there's a spell-gen mod? gently caress.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Ramc posted:

MODS??@?@

yes, we're talking about mods

Deki posted:

Wait, there's a spell-gen mod? gently caress.

yea elmokki's nation gen tool can do spells as well

quite stretched out fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 10, 2017

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Unfortunately, further information suggests that it's done in the game's settings, not via mod files.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
You drop a .tff into the /data folder. It's that kind of mod, similar to the sound mods of the past.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Are there still going to be Disciple games in 5? I know it wasn't a very good mode but I liked it

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

The Chad Jihad posted:

Are there still going to be games in 5? I know it wasn't a very good but I liked it

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

The Chad Jihad posted:

Are there still going to be Disciple games in 5? I know it wasn't a very good mode but I liked it
Fear not friend disciples games are still a game mode. I will maybe update allied rec to be a day 1 mod to help make the mode less completely pointless.

I'm sure there will be a turn 5 cataclysm (world ending game switch) disciples conquer all game on day 2 of the game being out for the ultimate in stupid memery.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
In general, what are good counters for combat-pretenders or sc's? Or thugs to a lesser extent

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
frozen heart. a commander with lots of attack and a dusk dagger. lots of casts of the direct fatigue add spell from astral i can't remember what it's called. the uhhh instant kill nature spell, the instant kill death spell, the instant kill astral spell, the frog spell. the pig spell

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

squads of attack turkeys

Absum
May 28, 2013

infinity skeletons on defense, turn limit kills ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Giving them so many afflictions they die on their own.

• Locked thread