Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Fultz can shoot. He was a pretty good shooter in college. For some reason I've the summer he broke his jump shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

morestuff posted:

There are a lot of insane stans but the self-styled Lin experts weirded me out the most. When he was on the Hornets this dude was in my mentions constantly and his photo always cracked me up

Lmao. And those book covers.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

It is pretty but I hope they don't make that a big part of his game. There is no way that's a high percentage shot.

Edit: also why does the philly crowd hate Kris Humphries?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Celtics look real good

That's a 60 win team

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Salvor_Hardin posted:

It is pretty but I hope they don't make that a big part of his game. There is no way that's a high percentage shot.

Kardashians

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

He laid a hard foul on BS during a scrimmage last week and everyone had flashbacks to Shawn Long breaking his foot.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Everyone should hate Kris Humphries

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/krishumphries/status/434357505674588160

https://twitter.com/krishumphries/status/548278367452397568

https://twitter.com/krishumphries/status/318534263224037376

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

EvanTH posted:

Melo likes to demonstrate his elite passing skills early in the game so you can find it that much more frustrating when he stops doing it later. He's a real wound-salter

Haha :salt: much?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Shear Modulus posted:

Wait so Fultz can't shoot? So between him and Simmons two of their new franchise guys can't put the ball in the hoop uhh that may turn out bad

Embiid can do all the shots.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Best backcourt of the future right here
https://twitter.com/SacramentoKings/status/916474335350554624

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Punkin Spunkin posted:

remind me, what were those seven teams? I still think it was like 40% media cynicism

In order the Nets - Jazz - Wizards - Lakers - Timberwolves - Raptors - Kings - Hornets - Mavericks - Nets

This was in 2011-2012 too so some of those teams were pretty decent to great.

Also Lin rules he's totally a better player than you're giving him credit for. He's got one of the quickest first steps in the league and is a monster in the PnR.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I just don't really think any other random PG would have gotten this sort of coverage for helping narrowly beat the the 2011-12 Timberwolves/Kings/Wizards/Raptors/Nets/etc but fair enough, it is the city of basketball I guess things tend to snowball. gotta give the benefit of the doubt to a knicks fan who was actually watching those games

No they would have. I mean ignoring the obvious that he's Asian, if any 10 day contract guy suddenly appeared for a team and rattled off 7 straight wins with him scoring the majority of points and juicing a ton of assists and rebounds into the lineup you better bet your rear end he's getting talked about. Hell we had Yogisanity for like 3 games this year.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Demarcus who?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

extremely cool and good I couldn't watch the first two preseason games locally

:sigh:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The pistons look competent and the arena was rightly as quiet as a tomb

I'm a fan of the other team

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/kurtwearshats/status/916522159522054145

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

That's the best Dirk impression I've ever seen. If he can do that consistently he's the second guy in history to master that shot and it's unguardable, though maybe less so if you're 4 inches shorter (hes' ~6'8" right?)

Dexo posted:

Fultz can shoot. He was a pretty good shooter in college. For some reason I've the summer he broke his jump shot.

He shot .649 on 168 college ft attempts. That's enough to say that he's not a good shooter atm. However, he shot .413 from the college 3 on 126 attempts, which implies he's a decent shooter. IMO the tiebreaker is that his form looks hosed up and college defenses are bad. I can't think of another guy who's had a similar disparity to compare him to.

Are there any ways in which he doesn't compare to Magic Johnson that are substantive to the modern game? He's a mediocre rebounder I guess, but in a ton of ways it feels like we're about to find out what would happen if Earvin 1980 found a time portal

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I still don't understand any of the criticisms of Lin or anyone who doesn't like him TBH

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Chairchucker posted:

I still don't understand any of the criticisms of Lin or anyone who doesn't like him TBH

Same

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

DeimosRising posted:

Are there any ways in which he doesn't compare to Magic Johnson that are substantive to the modern game? He's a mediocre rebounder I guess, but in a ton of ways it feels like we're about to find out what would happen if Earvin 1980 found a time portal

He's actually a pretty good rebounder. That was one of his biggest strengths in college.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Chairchucker posted:

nbathiests

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Connie Hawkins died :(

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/10/07/rip-connie-hawkins-blackballed-by-the-nba-the-hawk-eventually-made-his-mark/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp3UXNVqR9E

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

DeimosRising posted:

That's the best Dirk impression I've ever seen. If he can do that consistently he's the second guy in history to master that shot and it's unguardable, though maybe less so if you're 4 inches shorter (hes' ~6'8" right?)

I cannart say this politely, every young player does the dirk one leg fadeaway because it's an easy way to create space for a jumper in the 12 foot area

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Brolander posted:

nbathiests

Hahaha

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

DeimosRising posted:

Personality.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

tanglewood1420 posted:

He's actually a pretty good rebounder. That was one of his biggest strengths in college.

Not sure what I was thinking, I remember him having several monster rebounding games in college. Obviously end of the day Ben Simmons is Ben Simmons and historical player comps are inexact at best and misleading at worst, but that clip of him flying down court looks like nothing so much as a showtime highlight. His speed while dribbling is impressive

Dejan Bimble posted:

I cannart say this politely, every young player does the dirk one leg fadeaway because it's an easy way to create space for a jumper in the 12 foot area

Yeah lots of guys are trying it now, but the other key element is getting that extreme arc on the shot, which requires a different form than just doing a Kobe style turnaround with extended leg. All the other imitations I've seen were Dirk's move but with a normal shot.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/916702303289249797
Maybe Noel will get to start.

GhostOfMagellan
Mar 12, 2012
Dante :(

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

DeimosRising posted:

He can dribble with his left hand.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

To me, that didn't look at all like a Dirk fadeaway. He just spun a bit to his right, jumped straight up and hit a tough 12 footer with a hand in his face. There wasn't even a fadeaway in the shot, so I don't know what you're talking about there.

DeimosRising posted:

One important way Simmons doesn't compare to 1980's Magic is the fact that he's not nearly as good as Magic was, nor is he ever likely to be. Simmons has to insist to everybody that he's a PG despite being 6'10, everyone already knew Magic was a PG despite his height.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/916703958445416448

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

again?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
awww what? he was just on that one podcast talking optimistically. drat.

still excited as gently caress for the season though, most of my friends don't get why I drive down the 5 screaming WHOOO NBA, but, hey. whooo nba.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
maybe the din-go separated your sholdah

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
s1: Team tells him he isn't going to get do anything besides sit behind 3 pt line and watch them play.
s2: Offseason ACL tear wipes out season.
s3: Team brings him along slowly in 1st half of season then buries him in favor of making a push with vets to impress Hayward into staying.
s4: Preseason shoulder injury potentially wipes out another season.

Kind of a rough start to a career. He was already behind Mitchell as first guard off the bench and will drop behind Burks too if he does make it back this year. Gonna be weird to see how it plays out and what the market for him in the summer turns into.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The B_36 posted:

To me, that didn't look at all like a Dirk fadeaway. He just spun a bit to his right, jumped straight up and hit a tough 12 footer with a hand in his face. There wasn't even a fadeaway in the shot, so I don't know what you're talking about there.

One important way Simmons doesn't compare to 1980's Magic is the fact that he's not nearly as good as Magic was, nor is he ever likely to be. Simmons has to insist to everybody that he's a PG despite being 6'10, everyone already knew Magic was a PG despite his height.

magic didn't guard 1s either and had to be played next to Norm Nixon for the first half of his career and Byron Scott for the latter half. They usually started two "other" guards next to him (Nixon or Scott and Michael Cooper). It's exactly the same setup Philly is planning to use.

Bashez posted:

He can dribble with his left hand.

Touche

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm still on the fence but I'd like to put it to everyone's attention that Terrance Ferguson might MIGHT be decent

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I said it in the Draft thread. I was a believer in that dude from day one.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

The B_36 posted:

"Not as good as Magic Johnson" is a pretty safe argument to make against someone who has yet to play an NBA game. Let's revisit it in 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I officially feel sorry for Utah. I never thought I'd say that.

• Locked thread