Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
"Maya tells you more than you wanted to know." indeed.

Mitsuru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
Akihiko is cool, Mitsuru drools.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Leave Akihiko behind.

ZevGun
Sep 6, 2011
Mitsuru is the highest level so she can sit this one out.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Akihiko wants to get stronger, and Mitsuru is driven to clean up her family's mess. I say let Junpei sit this one out. Poor guy's having a bit of existential crisis right now and the distraction might prove fatal.

Anyway, sorry for dragging this topic back again.

Hunter Noventa posted:

I think his main evidence is that after defeating the large shadows, there's a drop in the number of apathy syndrome cases. At least I'm pretty sure that was mentioned on the tv.

That's what we see too, but Ikutsuki never mentions that, in fact, he doesn't mention any kind of supporting data for this plan. It was just super odd to me because SEES readily accepted Ikutsuki's plan when the point of that scene was that Mitsuru hid information from the others that they needed in the first place. Information that would have helped give them perspective on whether they want to be part of SEES' clean-up crew or not.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
"Great" status is a nice little buff that I always tried to make use of when I could get it, especially on a physical attacker. So ditch Mitsuru for the time being.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
code:
 Yukari: 
 Junpei: |
Akihiko: ||||
Mitsuru: ||||||
Poor Junpei got tagged by a stray vote :smith:

While it's on-paper close between Mitsuru and Akihiko right now, I think it'll be fine to call it here if only so fair's fair and Mitsuru can see what it's like to spend a round on the bench. :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Alright, it's time for our most difficult challenge to date... Finals.

And, like the mid-terms, it's gonna steal effectively a full week of our time. Great.

During the Test...

Dowsing

I know it's been a while a this point, but I'm sure you still remember the answers to all of these. They were all mentioned in class at some point or another.

Octopus

Also, each day is taken up by one question like before. This is going to be a recurring trend everytime we get to exams.

Minamoto No Yoritomo

Needless to say, I will be getting all of these questions right because they're not really difficult but feel free to give it a try yourself if you want. It's a bit meaner in that I'm not including the answer options but, uh...

I went, I learned.

They're not really required for three of them so whatever.

I hope you got them all right, because I sure did!

oh and yes i skipped the day transitions between the questions because they don't mean anything there

Want To Be Close (Reincarnation) / Time

Well, last day and Junpei's being... friendly, huh?

Thank god today's the last day of exams...
How've you been doing?
Don't ask.
I can't wait to let off some steam...
Dude, don't you just love summer?

During the Test...

This might very well be a good sign. It sure feels more optimistic than what we got at midterms at least! I think there's a better possible result, though... but I might be thinking of vanilla again.

Summer Begins Here

Joy

The dark days of testing are finally over! The sun is shinin' bright!
So, how'd you do?

Well, that pretty much answers the question.
Psh, a real man doesn't dwell on the past...
I'm thinking ahead to Yakushima!
Oh yeah, that's coming up soon, isn't it...?
Are ya ready?
How 'bout you?
Me? Um, not really...
I guess I should be more enthusiastic, huh?

Sounds good! Where we goin'?
If you need to buy a swimsuit, I'd be happy to help!
As if.
Alright, gimme a sec. I'm gonna go grab my stuff from the locker room.
...Oh, I'll invite Fuuka too.

I know I've been kind of a dick lately...
but we're still cool, right?
Don't worry about it.
Thanks, dude.

Alright, let's get going.

Freedom at last! What should I do now!?
Don't worry, I'm sure you'll think of something.
Hell yeah, I will!

Really, Mitsuru is more conspicuous here by her absence...

Ikutsuki-san called me.
I think he wants to talk about a new candidate.
Does that mean another person is going to join?
Maybe...

Do you think you can stay after school with me for a mandatory study session? There's, like, no one--
Oh, you're going back to your "home" home today, huh?
Okay, then never mind.

It's alright. Let's go.
Sorry, I'll see you all later back at the dorm.

I'm really surprised at how much she's changed.

Silence

Adolescence is such a wonderful thing! So full of vibrancy!

Oh, hello. I just stopped by to pick someone up.
I might as well introduce you to him now.

Troubled

Hey, it's that kid from the shrine!

Anyway, Ken is voiced by Brianne Sidall who I know pretty much entirely for being Tsukasa in .hack// and Gimmy in Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Oh, hi, Ken-kun. What's up?
You know him...?
He doesn't leave during the break because of his... circumstances.
Oh, I heard about that...
Something about his parents...

It happened two years ago.
...Right now, one of his distant relatives is paying for his school expenses.
But, staying at the elementary school dorm all by himself isn't proper for a child his age.

To OUR dorm!? Do you really think that's a good idea!?

Then, he's the new candidate...?
Yes...
But, as you can see, he's still just an elementary school student. So, it is merely a possibility for now.

Um... yeah.
I've heard a lot about you... You haven't lost a boxing match yet.
Yeah, well... It's nice to meet you.

End

Iwatodai Dorm

And we'll be spending most of it on a real vacation!

Yakushima, here we come! I can't wait for Monday!
And then, one week of school 'til summer break!
Frickin' awesome, dude!
Aren't you getting a little carried away?
I mean, the trip is only for a few days, and we'll still have to fight Shadows over summer break.
In other words, we can't afford to stop training in Tartarus...
I know, I know!
But, my energy level is so high during summer, no one can stop me!
Anyway, tomorrow I'm gonna start packing, so if we're going to Tartarus, then let's do it today.

This is genuinely a good idea, because July has a dark secret with Tartarus that will gently caress you over if you don't know about it in advance...

Heck yeah!
Impressive. You seem to have a lot of free time to spare, even though you had finals.
I hope you did well on them.

Really, the key word is "had."

Although, I was a little disappointed about the price...
It turns out the fare for the ferry wasn't very fair.
But, when I told the lady selling the tickets that, she just ignored me.
*sigh* I was a little hurt after that.

goddammit, ikutsuki

You said it, brother.
Yeah! We're gonna have an awesome time!

I'm getting so excited now!

I wish "someone" would learn from his example.
I wonder why he's like that...

It would be nice if Ikutsuki stopped making incredibly lovely puns, yeah. But at the same time, that's what makes Ikutsuki, well, Ikutsuki.

...with us.

And Akihiko is sat all on his own, and is oddly saddened that Ken is gonna be living here for like 2 months.

It's dealing with the many cases of Apathy Syndrome over the last few months. Cultural anthropologists are investigating the causes, and...

Alright, so we'll be going to Tartarus naturally. Nice to stretch our legs after 5 days of exams.

The Voice Someone Calls

Alright, so before we do our proper ascension, I'm just gonna climb up from the 2nd floor to the barrier as just Minato. This is so I can grind yen (and I guess maybe also things to sell as a bonus) without fighting anything.

The Poem for Everyone's Souls

We get to just under 100k from that one trip, which is good enough for now. This lets us take Hua Po and... something else I had (Take-Minakata most likely) already to flip into Vetala for that request.

Well done. You have fulfilled my request.
I have a different reward for you this time.

If you're strong enough to control this Persona, then give it a try.
Please accept your reward.

The Sugar Key is a clever reference to Digital Devil Saga (1 specifically), where you needed to get this from Titania at the white castle at Co-Ordinate 136. That let a Pyro Jack open a giant treasure chest which enabled you to go and fight King Frosty at the top floor.

Anyway, here it just lets us fuse King Frost when we reach level 30. Ideally by then we'll have a higher Emperor social link rank but who knows.

Next in our chain of fusion requests is an Orthrus but that requires us to be level 28. Notable that this gives us equipment and not access to a new Persona...

Anyway, that done we need to ascend higher in Tartarus before we can do anything else for Liz so we'll be taking this party tonight.

Gonna take down that barrier and head on up...

We did it. We finally made it to the third block!

tartarus_0d03

So, the third block of Tartarus has this kinda cool appearance. I dig it, personally.

Plus the stairs look like they're from a ghost ship or something. It's kinda rad.

Anyway, Yabbashah - like the previous blocks - is a Hebrew word. In this instance it means "dry land," and it's also the name of the 5th world in the Kabbalah.

Oh sweet, we found the golden Shadow here really quickly. I just put that down as "if this happens, it's a bonus."

Mass Destruction / Wiping All Out

So, we'll just cave its skull in with a bus-stop sign.

There's the one Bronze Medal we need for Elizabeth's request. I guess Mitsuru'll be getting a Steel Pipe sometime soon after all.

Anyway, we're done a fight here so we'll deal with them now I guess.

Creation Relics are a bit weird, in that they're very Wind heavy but can heal, cast Light instant death... or self-destruct. Sure, okay.

Also, they're weak to Dark and generally come in groups of 3. Pale Rider just so happens to start with Mamudo...

Oh and they drop the Relic Fragments we want 5 of for Elizabeth too.

Killer Twins are, uh, Twins I guess. They have one clear gimmick but we have easy Maragi access and also Junpei, even though he doesn't ever get Maragi himself.

Indolent Mayas are, uh, Mayas I guess. They might very well be the most relatively weak one of the lot so far. I'unno.

Silent Books are maybe a little bit more dangerous since they can just (try to) kill everyone, or inflict Poison. That's... something, I guess.

Dogmatic Towers are similar, but lack the instant death, ailment proc rate increase and also weaknesses. That they're immune to 3 things, one of which is an instant kill even, is a bit annoying but managable.

Remember Lustful Snakes from before? Yeah, they turn up here. The're the same as they were in the second half of Arqa.

Mach Wheels aren't all that difficult, even though they could be on paper. Tarukaja + Power Charge means Double Fangs could tear through anyone effortlessly, but that takes forever and being weak to both Yukari AND Akihiko means they're gonna die in 1 round.

Oh, and our requisite Big Boy With Lots of Health is the Avenger Knight. He's, uh, annoying but weak to Expel so we can just Hama him. Gigantic Fist is very terrifying though...

And, of course, this is a new section of Tartarus so our Shuffle Time cards can go up to rank 4 now. EXP gives 1.8x bonus, equipment is ~70-80 attack (so, equal to what we had before) and coins gives around 4000 yen.

It's amazing how quickly it scales towards making Wands the only real choice.

tartarus_0d03

Anyway, let's get our real climb on. On floor 67, Fuuka tells us that there IS a boss somewhere but she doesn't know where. Thanks, Fuuka.

Floor 68 lets us get the Pleiades bow sometimes. This is... honestly a really good bow.

We've had the Toy Bow for a while, and this is both stronger AND gives +4 Magic for good measure. It's less accurate but still higher than the norm. We're definitely gonna give this to Yukari right away.

On Floor 70, Fuuka finally figures out where the boss fight is. The 72nd floor seems a bit closer than I'd have expected since we started Yabbashah on the 65th but I'm okay with that.

Ah, there we go. I was beginning to worry that the Red Shadow for this area wouldn't show...

Mass Destruction / Wiping All Out

Wild Drives are... honestly kinda bastards right now. They have 35 Strength and 33 Endurance...

So this means we can't really do that much damage to them with anything.

This unfortunately includes All-Out Attacks!

And this is what they can do with a basic attack. Just by default. Yikes.

But, hey, level 34 so that means they're worth A Lot of EXP especially when you add Wand cards (this was just from rank 3, even).

Plus we need 3 Greasy Gears for Elizabeth anyway, so we'd have to deal with them sooner or later. Just glad to get it done now.

And, of course, the 72nd floor is 3 enemy Shadows. Sure, okay. I sorta expected that, though.

Just gonna take the Terminal Point back down the 1st floor for that free full heal and also...

The Poem for Everyone's Souls

The Supreme Hand is a rare foe, indeed. Congratulations on tracking one down and defeating it.
Well, this proves you are getting stronger. I'm glad to see that.

Oddly, the Steel Pipe is a one-handed sword. Sure, okay.

You know, it's a shame, really, that humans only believe in what they can see.
The statues those fragments are from were made from people's feelings...
Have you ever thought about why your Persona looks as it does?

Medical Powder is just improved Medicine. It's, uh, fine I guess? Might just end up being sold for scratch down the line but who knows.

You obtained these from a particularly strong monster...
In fact, you are much more formidable now than when you first stepped into this room.
I will have to think of harder requests for you to fulfill.

At least the 70k is enough to push us over 300,000 which sounds like a lot... but it won't last very long at all.

And from getting the Bronze Medal, our next Rare Shadow hunt is... in the 4th block. For a weapon that is also a new weapon type. Welp, can't even PRETEND to do this one for at least another month so.

So, our trio this time are... 3 wrestlemens. Pretty sure we've had that before...

Strength Furious Gigas x3 (Portable)

Master of Tartarus / Danger Zone

Okay, so let's get this out of the way right now...

The Furious Gigases are like the beetles from before. Yes, they are mechanically weak to Wind however they also resist it. A lot. They might have 30 Endurance, but...

Yukari - Yukari - can do quadruple the damage Garula can with a basic attack.

They're also immune to Fire (and Resist Elec), and if you ever scan them... Junpei will stand around and Wait if he's set to do anything BUT Heal/Support. They are neutral to all 3 Phys elements, but they have a nasty secret.

They have High Counter which means there is a 50% chance of them effectively reflecting any given Slash/Strike/Pierce attack. Yikes.

Anyway, skillset wise... their basic attack can do almost 500 damage. If it crits, but still. That's horrifying (and only in Hard mode).

...They can use... Life Drain...? I, uh, I genuinely did not know that until now. Wow.

Power Charge is a given, though. And also insanely scary.

Sukukaja is the closest thing there is to a real breather move from these guys. I will gladly accept!

Rebellion is a bit of a double-edged sword. It mainly benefits them, though, because of High Counter which is why they have no qualms using it.

Oh and they also have Gigantic Fist. Remember this, from the Avenger Knight random?

Over 500 damage. Over 500 damage. Gigantic Fist is heavy Strike damage, which means it has a baseline power of 315 and it also has a base 15% chance to Crit. Tartarus bosses kinda don't gently caress around if you give them a chance.

Oh and they're not really susceptible to ailments, much. Boring.

End

But, well, they only have 500HP. Set Yukari to Full Assault and she will cast Magaru and hey if Minato also has Wind magic then you win in 1 round courtesy of 2 All-Out Attacks. Or maybe the 2nd if turn order isn't friendly to Yukari.

Furius Gigases are really giant Hulk Hogan shaped paper tigers, and I for one am glad. Later Tartarus bosses get genuinely terrifying and I'm really looking forward to it!

Our floor treasure is a single Precious Egg. This gives one person back all their SP. I can think of one major use for this , but it's not for a long, long time (and it's arguably better done with a Soma anyway) so...

That's all we'll do in Tartarus for now. We'll go back to finish off Yabbashah in a bit. First, we have the time to be lazing on a Sunday afternoon...

Current Net Price Tanaka

...Y'know, I was looking forward to not buying from Tanaka today. This pushes us back below the 300,000 Yen mark but the Mage's Mark should be worth it. I hope.

Since we had exams before, we didn't get the new shoes until now. And they're a very good evasion boost over what we had in the past. Simple, but effective.

Iwatodai Dorm

Viewers will only be able to see 25% of the sun from Tokyo, and 18% from Osaka. As a result of the eclipse, the temperature will drop slightly.

No one's in the dorm so we'll run to the TV and... get here either too early or way too late. We even missed the next episode preview!

When The Moon's Reaching Out Stars / Way of Life

Yukari and Fuuka are over at the Port Island Station hanging out by the cinema, I see.

Although, I don't think it's this shop's selection...

Yukari, that's... that's a fountain and a cinema. They, uh, they don't...

It could just be that I'm not up for a new swimsuit at all.

I've never bought a bathing suit besides the school one.
But I don't think Yukari-chan is really up for this...

And Fuuka pretty much just echoes Yukari's sentiments, huh. Sure, okay.

Fortunately, Junpei's also easy to find.

I asked Akihiko-san, but he doesn't give a rip about fashion.
So it's up to you, dude! Tell me what I should bring!
A one-piece bathing suit.
I thought of that once. It'll get a laugh, at least!

That's the plan!

But, sadly, we can't find Akihiko or Mitsuru anywhere, so we'll go and spend the day with Maya as per usual.

Joy

> Maya is walking nearby.

i'm not even complaining today or ne thing... so rare =P
but i have to tell tatsu cuz he's my MMO partner! i'll be brave -_-;;
*^_^*
...i'm so lame! i'm blushing for reals!!
oh noes... now i'm starting to get sweaty =/
Hurry up and tell me.
oh, hey tatsuya hehehehehehe xD

> Maya seems to be enjoying herself.

> Maya seems to be embarrassed.

i'm kinda..."interested" in sumone from school >_>

Well, you did sorta admit to being okay with this particular crime before...

OMG i said it!!!1 O_O;; ;P
none of the male teachers r even in my league, so i gave up looking for b/fs @ work

goin for younger guys is kinda new for me >_>
What is he like?

i luuuuuuv watchin his expressions in class xD is that bad?

"Bad" is an understatement...

> Maya seems to be having fun.

he's one of my students! =x

...Hang on a minute...

maybe i can abuse my power and convince him i'm a guidance counselor >_>
oh btw, u don't need to be jealous he's jus sumone i like, rite?
tatsuya is the only game partner for maya ^^; no worries

> Maya cares about you.

> Your relationship is stronger now!

...It's a coincidence. Like the Pascal thing in SMT1. Yup. That's it. It's an SMT1 reference buried in the Persona 2 stuff.

> You failed to convince anyone.

alrighty tatsuya, i gtg let's positive thinking!

> Maya's player signed off.

> You decide to log off as well.

Fortunately we're going to leave on vacation today. I could certainly do with being anywhere but here right now...

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 8, 2018

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Can we have at least one of the teachers that doesn't seem massively problematic in this school? I mean, since the party's a bunch of teenagers fixing up their mess, I GUESS NOT, but still.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I completely forgot that this S Link had her creeping on students
eeeeeeesh

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
OH BOY.

... I still love this series, but gawwwwwd, is it problematic in ways that can't really be seen past, in at least one way, every drat game.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

This might very well be a good sign. It sure feels more optimistic than what we got at midterms at least! I think there's a better possible result, though... but I might be thinking of vanilla again.

I think if you're really good (i.e. on a new game+ probably) it'll say something like "Your pen won't stop moving!"

At least Maya is professional enough to only talk about her ...preferences to a complete MMO stranger (as far as she knows) rather than actually act on it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Yabbashah means "dry land", not "dry sea". You can find it in Genesis 1:8.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I admit, I like that Junpei got over his issues towards you on his own. It would've been too easy for them to make this something you have to fix, but making it so that it's Junpei's decision to chill out makes him look more mature.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The movies just have Makoto fix it, of course. :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

GeneX posted:

Yabbashah means "dry land", not "dry sea". You can find it in Genesis 1:8.

That it does, yeah. I can't even begin to guess how I got that backwards when I really did know that but oh well. 'Sfixed now at least.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I've read a previous Persona 3 LP but I'm really loving this one - the series really lends itself well to LPing due to the large amount of time spent either grinding in Tartarus or attempting scenes and finding out your timing was wrong. The combination of this and P3P is great :)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

So, vacation sounds nice. Let's do that!

> It's time for you to get ready...

It's a little longer than maybe expected though, huh. We'll be leaving Yakushima and back in Iwatodai by Thursday evening, huh?

Yakushima

Ikutsuki already paid the fairly unfair fare for the ferry, so we get to just skip to being on the boat.

Hahaaaa! Awesome!

There it is... Yakushima!

Well, Junpei is enjoying himself and thinks this is gonna be fun.

Everyone else is either oddly upset or overly serious...

And in Yukari's case, actively annoyed for some reason.

Tranquility

It's like we're in an episode of Lifestyles of the Rich and Fabulous...

Maid: And you must be her schoolmates, correct? Welcome to the Kirijo vacation home. Please follow me.

Um, is this the right place?
Dude, real-life maids...
I knew she was from an important family, but this definitely confirms it...

It's good to see you.

And he just... leaves, without saying a single word. Odd.

Was that...?
...her father?
Dude, talk about scary!
He's not gonna make us walk the plank, is he?
Don't be stupid...

Sweet! This is gonna rock!

It's right there. Dude, this place rules! Come on, let's go!
What, already?
I mean, sure, but let me get changed first!
Then, I'll see ya there.
I'm not gonna waste a single minute!

Joy

Yup! Summer's here!
Darn... There's nothing out there I can use as a marker... Too bad. I was hoping for a good swim.
You must be joking... We come all the way to the beach and you're gonna train?
What's wrong with that? You got a better idea?
drat right, I do! It's summertime at the beach! I've got the perfect activity!

It takes a lot of confidence to pull off a swimsuit like that!

Next up is Contestant No. 2, Fuuka Yamagishi!
...Wow, Fuuka, I had no idea you were so... I mean, you should wear a swimsuit more often!

Oh come on, there's nothing to be embarrassed about!
Heheh.
Stop that creepy laugh, you perv!
And here's our final contestant...

Wow... Mitsuru-senpai, you're beautiful...
Yeah, your skin is flawless! Did you already put on sunscreen?
N-No, not yet...

I'm not interested.
Yeah, like I believe that.
Man, this is great! I'm in heaven!
How 'bout a swim!?
Buh buh buh bump ba baaa! Charge!

Whoa, it's cold!! Hahahahaha!!

> The uneasy feeling went away...

End

Silence

Welcome to the beach! It's apparently a fun place to be? Let's see what everyone else thinks.

I came here often when I was young, but I don't remember it looking quite like this.

Our operations during the Dark Hour put a lot of stress on us. You should relax a little, and rest up.

Akihiko, oddly, acts as a temporary makeshift save point. Might be a good idea to use his function since we don't get many chances to save around here.

Also he lets us leave when we're done.

Heheheh! You like it? You like that, huh?
No one can resist splashing girls at the beach! Heheh, I'm gonna splash more water on youuuu!
You--! H-Hey, you're gonna pay for that! Take this!

And, uh, that's it. There's nothing else on the beach but two sidepaths - one that's an exit and one that we just can't use.

So, we'll just speak with Akihiko to leave early.

We're going to stay here for a little while longer.
I'll see you later.

Yakushima at Night

Troubled

I'm glad that you're in good health...

Takeharu Kirijo is voiced by Derek Stephen Prince, which is cool. That name should sound familiar...

I'm sorry for bringing such a crowd...
...I heard you told them about the incident.
Why did you hide it so long?
...I wasn't hiding it...
I've told you time and again; none of the blame is yours.
But...

The Nanjo Group is something from Persona 1 and 2. It's good to know Takeharu and co. used to know Kei; we'll cover some Nanjo stuff a few months more down the line, most likely.

You must learn to trust in others, Mitsuru.
There are things in this world that cannot be accomplished alone, no matter how many sacrifices you make.
...Yes, Father.
You accessed our database, didn't you?

I'm... I'm sorry.
Bring them here. All of them.
I had no intention of concealing the truth from them. I've made prepartions to disclose everything.
There's a girl named Takeba in your group, correct?

Father...?

One fade to blue later...

Fearful Experience

Well, it's true... We adults are to blame.
If I could've atoned for it with my life, I would have done so...
Now, I have no choice but to rely on you.
What my father wanted to create with those monsters' power...

That's what he was trying to do?
Imagine if you could control the flow of time... eliminate unwanted events before they occur.
With such a device, you could shape the future to your liking.
drat, that's insane...
However, under my father's direction, the research began to stray from its original goal.

Now that I think about it, his madness may have resulted from his struggle to break free from that...
It's only natural that you want to know the truth... and it's my duty to tell you.

This is the only exisiting footage of the accident, recorded by a scientist who was at the scene.
I pray that this recording reaches safe hands...
That voice...!?

It's Liam O'Brien!

This experiment should have never even been conceived...
I'm afraid what I've done will result in an unprecedented disaster...
But if I hadn't, the entire world may have paid the price...
The entire world?
Please, listen carefully...

To end this nightmare, you must eliminate all of them!
I am to blame for this.
I knew the risks, but I was blinded by the promise of success... And so, I didn't raise any objections...
It is all my fault...

...Dad...
You mean... that was...?
Father...

But, we are the ones who are responsible. We pushed him to continue the research.
The Kirijo Group is to blame for his death.
I... I can't believe it...
So, that means... my dad caused it all...?

It was all his fault...?
Y-You okay?
So, that's why you were hiding this...?

No, Takeba, I...

Silence

Um... Shouldn't someone go after her?
Will you go...?
...Sure.
...Thank you.

Living With Determination

This is too much...
Remember what I told you at the hospital...?
How my dad died when I was little...?
You understand now, right...? He died in that incident.
Nobody knew the truth, so there were all sorts of rumors...

We even had to move a few times.
That must've been tough.
...Yeah.
But all this time, I kept telling myself it wasn't his fault.
I loved him a lot, and I believed he'd never do anything wrong.
I received a letter back in the spring. It was from him, written ten years ago...

That only made me believe in him more...
When I found out I had a special power, I thought it was fate.
I was scared, but I thought if I cooperated with the Kirijo Group, I might find out what really happened.

That's not true.
Haha, you're just trying to make me feel better.
Why does reality have to be so harsh...?
I tried so hard to fight my fear, and this is what I get...
Maybe I'm just jealous of Mitsuru- senpai.

Haha... I'm a horrible person, aren't I?
Don't blame yourself.
Hmph. Well, you're just Mr. Perfect.
Nothing ever fazes you.

You think you know me!?
You don't know anything!
I'm sorry...
My head's a mess...
I'm so afraid...
I don't know what to do anymore... I'm totally lost...
Tell me... What should I do...?
Don't lose hope.

Ya know, you really are one-of-a-kind.
...I'm sorry for acting like this. You've lost your parents, too.
But, I'm alright now... I'm used to dealing with stressful situations.
Anyway, thanks for listening.

I came cuz I wanted to.
Oooh, you're such a gentleman... *giggle* ...Thanks.

Silence

It's almost... *gasp* the Dark Hour, so you should get back.
Huh? Oh, yeah, that's right...
...Hm?
Um... Did I miss something...?
I-I almost forgot... It doesn't matter where you are when the Dark Hour comes...
Well, duh.
You know, I've been thinking lately...

It's like trading away your innocence...
In exchange for power, you can no longer look away from the things you don't want to see.
So, I guess I'm stuck with you guys, huh?
Yup.
Now that that's settled, let's get back!

So, welcome to Yakushima. It's a big ol' series of plot scenes. Lots and lots of them.

...and also the worst day of the game but we'll get to that... next time...

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is this the first usage of 'Living With Determination'? Because I love that track.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Is this the first usage of 'Living With Determination'? Because I love that track.

I'm not a huge fan of the cutscene version, but the remix you hear later on is pretty great.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Yeah, I always liked this last scene... Yukari and her issues are both understandable and sympathetic, and to be honest, I found it refreshing that she isn't doing the nice girl thing and is suppressing her emotions under a false smile. It felt real in a way that few JRPGs (or heck, most WRPGs) that I had played dids- you can tell that a lot of her animosity toeards Mitsuru and the Kirijos is her looking for someone to blame from the loss of her parent, and to find out that all you feared was true... it isn't nice.

And while I do dread what is about to come, there is one element that I do like... quite a lot, even if I don't like where it went.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'll have more to say about this scene in quite a while, after we've seen another scene later in the game, but it is pretty powerfully emotional, and I like the way this one is presented.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The movie presented this part differently, but I'll have to mention that more later.

To mention a small part of it, though, Makoto and Yukari get attacked by Shadows on the beach due to them actually being there at the time of The Dark Hour.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Commander Keene posted:

I'll have more to say about this scene in quite a while, after we've seen another scene later in the game, but it is pretty powerfully emotional, and I like the way this one is presented.

And now that we've had these powerful character building moments, time to follow them up with some of the dumbest scenes in the game.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

YggiDee posted:

It's the first use in a plot scene, so it makes the most sense here, but it's played twice before (both times during social link scenes). Understandably this is a more noticeable and memorable use though. :v:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The movies just have Makoto fix it, of course. :v:

:doh:

As for the update, If this footage was the evidence Ikutsuki mentioned, then I can understand why he'd gloss over it to spare Yukari some grief. But it's weird because if this video was the evidence, then why did Ikutsuki act like it's a recent discovery? From how Mitsuru's father acted, it seemed like this was an old video that they've been keeping under wraps.

I did like that the scene with Yukari in the beach wasn't a Social Link bit. Yukari's correct that we got no right telling her how to feel now, and there are no magic words to make everything all better.

Of course, now I imagine Hobgoblin's going to tell me that the P3 movie had Makoto speak the magic words to fix things for Yukari. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

amigolupus posted:

Of course, now I imagine Hobgoblin's going to tell me that the P3 movie had Makoto speak the magic words to fix things for Yukari. :v:

Yep.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Anime Reference posted:

And now that we've had these powerful character building moments, time to follow them up with some of the dumbest scenes in the game.

I think you mean the best scenes. :allears:

EDIT: Oh god this is the worst stupid newbie avatar yet. Okay, Lowtax, you win, I'm getting an avatar.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

amigolupus posted:

I did like that the scene with Yukari in the beach wasn't a Social Link bit.

Not exactly, but in the male route, Yukari's social link opens up after this once we get back to Iwatodai, assuming P3MC has maximum Charm. For the female main character it has already started.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I do like this execution of the scene, as presented talking to Yukari isn't so much about what you say, it's more about just letting her cycle her own thoughts on the situation.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Anime Reference posted:

Yeah, well, I'll have more to rant on about that after the next update.

Keldulas posted:

I do like this execution of the scene, as presented talking to Yukari isn't so much about what you say, it's more about just letting her cycle her own thoughts on the situation.
Hey, sometimes you just need to let your thoughts and emotions out in order to properly organize/deal with them. And some people aren't comfortable talking to themselves.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

So, are you ready for the most bad bit of The Journey? I know I'm not...

Beach Patrol

Joy

I never thought a walk in the woods could be so enjoyable. You can't do this in Iwatodai.

Junpei was acting like such a pervert yesterday, and I didn't know how to react...
It's probably a good thing we came out here by ourselves...
Huh? ...Oh, yeah.

Huh, can't say I expected anyone to get a call. Especially in the middle of the woods... how does she even get reception...

Please continue.
Well, I'm at the lab here on the island...
And a machine that was considered inoperable suddenly left the facility on its own...
A machine...?
What kind of machine is it? I need detailed information to locate anything other than Shadows...

A combat vehicle...? You mean like a tank!?
We're not currently with the others, so it might take some time for us all to assemble.
I see...
Well, regardless, I want you to handle this as soon as possible. I'm on my way there now.
If the target cannot be captured, do we have permission to destroy it?

What...? Then how are we supposed to stop it...?
Just do your best. I'll call you again later.

Meanwhile, Yukari's been trying to also call someone...

Don't worry about it. Let's go back and get our equipment.
Then we can have Yamagishi's Persona scan the area. Although, this island is quite large...
Geez! Where could they be!?

The Jomon tree referenced here is a very real tree. It's also several thousand years old, which is pretty cool.

It looks like Fuuka's handwriting...
Aw man!

That's just not right!!
Well, it is your fault.

I'm glad someone else said it.

Whaddya mean? I-I just wanted to lighten up the mood...
I don't want to hear it.
Well, it doesn't matter, anyway...
We're on our own now, just the guys!
If you're outta ammo, you pick it up on the battlefield! That's one of the most basic military tactics!

And there it is...

"Babe Hunt"?
You mean, like, pick up girls...?
Whaddya think, Akihiko-san? With you on the squad, we're guaranteed to succeed!

> Akihiko is clearly hesitant...

What do you think about this?
Sounds like a hassle.
You're right, it does sound like a hassle...
Then, what're we gonna do the rest of the day?
Come on, guys! It'll be fun!

What!? WHY!?
You said yourself this is an operation.
Aw, man, that's bullshit!

End

I fully intend on taking this as seriously as I feel it deserves, don't worry.

Deep Breath Deep Breath (Reincarnation)

So, this isn't just one extended cutscene but it might as well be. We just get to walk along the beach...

And while I really want to just leave, because this is weird and awkward and Bad... Junpei's a jerk and doesn't let us.

So we're forced to play along. Great...

Let's go hit on 'em!

I would really rather do Anything But This, but... let's just get this over with, I guess.

Let's move in for the kill!
This is my area of expertise, so listen up...
First off, think of something to talk about--something they might be interested in.
Give them an easy question to get the ball rollin'. That's the golden rule.
Somethin' like, "Where're you from?" or "Havin' fun?"
Pretty soon, you'll be tossin' questions and answers back and forth like you're playin' catch.
I'll start things off, and you can ask the questions, alright?
...Here we go.

Havin' fun?

Deep Breath Deep Breath

Hey, no need to be shy... We don't bite.

Come on, cut us some slack...
We just wanna talk.
I thought you said you were an expert...
Hold your horses... I'm just getting warmed up. Watch and learn...
So, ladies, are you in college?

Nope. Not us.
...Seriously? You sure look like high schoolers from here.
*cough* S-Sorry, that's a lie.
: Oh, really?

Well, we were invited to our friend's vacation home...
Pretty cool, huh?
Good for your friend.

I guess we're just lucky...
: Yeah, lucky you. ...Whaddya want, anyway?
Nothing.
Then, take a hike.

Well, that went about as well as could reasonably be expected, let's be honest.

Hey, I did my best!
What about you, Senpai!? You think you can do any better? Come on, show us what you got.
Wh-Why should I?
Well, you're supposed to be a tactical master, right?
And, isn't it our duty to help each other succeed?
I guess you have a point there.

Can you give me a hand, Makoto? I'll set the pace, of course.

I'm not sure if this is optimism or idiocy. Frankly, with this ""plan"", the line between the two is borderline non-existant...

What are you waiting for, Akihiko-san? Show us how it's done.
...Just keep your mouth shut.

Nobuko: Yeah, I think so. Wow, Yoshie, you can see from there?

...That's my cue.

S-Sorry to bother you, but I wanted to ask you something...

Yoshie: ...Yes?

Um... Are you here alone?

N-No, not at all...
We just thought that if you're bored, you might wanna talk...
We could get to know each other better.

Yoshie: Um, that's what it means to hit on someone.

Deep Breath Deep Breath

Nobuko: We were bored anyway, so why don't we just play along? Hey, you guys are kinda cute.
Yoshie: Nobuko!
Nobuko: Hey, how old do you think we are?

Around 20?

can we maybe just give up on this now before this manages to get even weirder?

Nobuko: Wow, you made my day... even though I know you're just trying to flatter us. To tell you the truth, we're older than that...

Oh, really? That's too ba--

I wasn't aware we brought Kenji with us...

Yoshie: You're a pretty smooth talker for someone so young. How old are you guys, anyway?

We're in high school.
I'll be graduating next year.

Nobuko: That's a bummer... We're not astrologically compatible...
Yoshie: Look, it isn't gonna happen, so just give it up. You don't even seem like you're having fun talking to us.

Right, it's boring.

Nobuko: I'm sure he was just joking.
Yoshie: Why are you being so nice to them, Nobuko!?
Nobuko: Are you kidding? When was the last time we were hit on?
Yoshie: Hey, let's head back... They're waiting for us.

Th-They? ...You mean, you have boyfriends?

Nobuko: Oh, yeah, sorry. Did we forget to mention that? Well, gotta go. We're having a barbeque at the villa. You can come if you want.

...Uh, n-no thanks.

Yoshie: See ya.

That, uh, went "fine." I don't think you really get to complain considering how awkward this entire thing is inherently.

Man, we looked like a bunch of idiots!
Dude, you were his wing man! Where was the support?
You let them slip through our fingers!
Seriously! Get your act together, man! Next time, I want results!

Does there really have to be a "next time"? Can't we just, like, I dunno... not?

Okay, fine... let's just get this over with I guess...

Well, what are we waiting for?
Excuse me, miss...

Are you alone?

Lady: ...Yes, I'm completely alone. By "alone" I mean "single." Incidentally, I saw you hitting on those girls. How'd it go?

It was an utter failure.

Lady: Oh, really? That's a shame. Have you considered any... alternative approaches?

I really don't think this is the time or place for a Hercules joke.

Do you have to say it like that?

Lady: Hahahahaha! That's so stupid it's funny!

H-Hey, that's not my "A" material...

Lady: How do you expect to get a girl with that kind of attitude? You boys have no balls.

Excuse me?

Lady: You heard me.

Deep Breath Deep Breath

Lady: Be open to the possibilities... Especially you, you cute young thing...

M-Me?

Lady: Yes, you. I can tell you lack experience.

Lady: but even more timid.

H-How'd you know?

Lady: Well, if you'd like... I'd be happy to show you a thing or two...

S-Seriously!?

I'm in!

Lady: But... I don't know if I can handle all three of you, so... Who will it be?

Junpei can go.
That's right. I'm the only one who's worthy!
I'll show you that I've got balls!

Lady: Tee-hee, then I'm sure we'll have fun.

Hey, wait...
Whaaaat!? Are you trying to ruin my summer of love!?

So, this has been Insanely Awkward and Dumb so far, it's not really been super-terrible to the point of being the worst part of the game, right? Sure, but let's change that.

Lady: ...!? I-I missed a spot!?

Uh... Are you a...?

incredibly offensive stereotype that probably wasn't okay even in 2006? Yes. Yes, she is.

even the loving namecard is bullshit what the hell

Moving veeeeeeeery swiftly on before this gets even worse

One Last Bow

Joy

*sigh*
What's wrong? I thought you weren't interested in picking up chicks.
If I'm in a match, I want to win.
I know what our problem is... You can't control yourself.
What!? Don't blame this on me!
I'm just stating the obvious.
B-But, you haven't scored either!
What did you just say...?

> Junpei and Akihiko continue to bicker...

Enough already! Leader, whose fault do you think it is?
It's both your fault.
I won't accept a stalemate! It's either him or me!
Yeah!

What's the matter? ...You see something?

Silence

He sees an anime cutscene! Oh my...

A very brief one, but still.

It really just exists to show us one character...

So I'm sure she won't be even remotely important.

Joy

Talk about saving the best for last...! Now that's what I'm talkin' about!
Man, she's cute...
I agree...

Considering the entire day so far has been just casually existing to ruin this plan whether through just getting people angry, being really bad at everything or just straight up transphobia, I can't even begin to guess where this is going to go from there...

This is our last chance to make up for failures...
But this time we should try one-by-one instead of all together. We'll have a better shot that way.
Sounds like a good plan.
Alright, then let's decide the order! We'll go clockwise, starting with the winner.
Ready...? Rock, paper, scissors!

The results are the same no matter what.

Yeah, I win!
Okay, I'll go first, Akihiko-san will go second, and you'll go last. I'm up!
Wish me luck!

So, um... do you come here often?
My name's Ju-Ju-Junpei.

She has a dialogue portrait and is voiced by Karen Strassman, but she's clearly not important so it's a clever bait and switch.

Don't worry, I-I just want to talk.
I mean, it's more fun than standing here all by yourself, isn't it?

...That's a VERY weird word choice.

O-Oh yeah...?
You are not the one.
Wow, he got shot down faster than I expected...

Heh... Don't worry about me.

Is your question directed at me?
Oh, um, yeah, I like the ocean, too.
Hey, I heard that triathletes who train at the beach perform better than those who practice indoors.
Makes sense, doesn't it?

Yeah, obviously. It's way easier to do two-thirds of it provided its not a terrible beach.

Wow, he's actually having a conversation with her! Although, something's not right...
That type of information is irrelevant to me.

It doesn't matter how long you talked to her!

Hey, stop crying! You're making me feel bad...
...So, that's our status.
If you can't pull this off, I'm gonna be traumatized for the rest of my life.

I'm really not seeing much of a downside to this right now.

We're on the ropes, but it's not over yet...
It's all up to you now.

Good afternoon.

I couldn't hear what he said...
But she looks surprised... We should go over there.
You are...

Once again, that's some really weird word choice you got there...

Silence

Well, what're you waiting for? Go after her!
But, it wasn't my fault.
Go tell her you're sorry!
If you don't, we'll all be in trouble! Go on, man. You can catch her if you hurry!

End

This is such a waste of time, but fine whatever.

Silence

We'll just head on into the Forest, which is a giant linear path in which nothing happens. It's as exciting as it sounds.

Anti-Shadow Weaponry

How nice of her to stick her head out like that. If she didn't, we never would've seen her...

> She must be the one who has been watching you.

I have found you.

My highest priority is to be with you!

What's going on...!? He didn't even say anything to her!

Um... What're you doing in the middle of the woods, in your swimsuits...?
You have no idea what we've--
Huh!?

Listen, we've encountered a problem.
I'm sorry to interrupt your vacation, but I need you all to go back to the house and prepare for battle.

Troubled

"Aigis"...? I'm pretty sure there's meant to be an "e" in there.

Regardless, one fade to blue later...

So, what happened to capturing the tank?
Oh, that's been taken care of.
Come here, Aigis.

I have been assigned to SEES, effective immediately.
No way... It's like she's... alive.
This is unbelievable...
She's so cute, but... she's a robot...

Well, she's more of an android in that case but even so don't even think about Junpei-ing this.

Aigis was the last to be made... and she's the only one that still remains today.
An Anti-Shadow weapon... Does that mean she...?

She suffered major damage in combat and has remained in the lab ever since.
It's still unclear as to why she suddenly reactivated herself this morning...
Well, I hope you will all get along.
An Anti-Shadow weapon with a will of her own...
This is amazing!
Um... By the way...
When I saw you earlier, it seemed like you knew him...
Yes, it is very important for me to be by his side.

Or maybe she's still half-asleep... This is quite interesting...
Hmm...
Well, I can ponder this later.
Oh, I forgot to tell you all...
You can participate in a wide range of recreational activities here.
There's a tennis court, a pool table... even a karaoke machine.
Would you care to hear me sing?

End

And with that... wonderful(?) offer, the day finally draws to a close and I guess we gained a new party member...?

Only 2 days of Yakushima left, so let's see what lies ahead for us, shall we?

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 27, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I didn't understand why you said that was the worst part of the game until that woman started propositioning Junpei for sex. And then the beard thing happened.

On a different note, the second Persona 3 movie does a little change-up here. First off, Operation Babe Hunt happens before the revelation about the Dark Hour (and also includes someone that was absent here? I guess that's a P3P thing). Anyway, when Yukari and the PC are talking, they get attacked by Shadows and Aigis shows up to save them, revealing she's a robot in the process.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

And now I get to be properly angry about this scene. Aside from being stupid and offensive, Atlus, in their infinite wisdom, has decided that Operation Babe Hunt is now a mandatory scene in every single Persona game made since P3, with very little variation. And you don't even get a party member as a reward for suffering through it in the others. They even added it to Persona 4 Golden when it wasn't in the PS2 version because what the base game needed more of was Operation Babe Hunt, clearly. The best argument for playing P3P IMO is that you only see the aftermath of this scene when playing as FeMC. GAAAH!

Also, you may be able to call Aigis a "tank", depending upon your definition of tank, but she is clearly not a vehicle. Way to actually be wrong while actively misleading the party with cryptic bullshit, Ikutsuki. There isn't even a point to it; you were going to have to tell the party what they're looking for before you send them out looking, anyway.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Ikutsuki. You knew all along what Aigis was and deliberately lied to the girls by calling her a "vehicle." Just what was your game there?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I didn't understand why you said that was the worst part of the game until that woman started propositioning Junpei for sex. And then the beard thing happened.

On a different note, the second Persona 3 movie does a little change-up here. First off, Operation Babe Hunt happens before the revelation about the Dark Hour (and also includes someone that was absent here? I guess that's a P3P thing). Anyway, when Yukari and the PC are talking, they get attacked by Shadows and Aigis shows up to save them, revealing she's a robot in the process.

I think they just wanted to have a shot of Aigis' dress burning up to reveal the robot bits.

MightyPretenders posted:

Ikutsuki. You knew all along what Aigis was and deliberately lied to the girls by calling her a "vehicle." Just what was your game there?

He wanted to make it a surprise!

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah, I figured a lot of posters just really hated Aigis for some reason. I'd forgotten completely about the nonsense leading up to that.

On the other hand, this is my favorite Reincarnation track, so I'll call it a win (even if it doesn't really play here).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ajkalan posted:

Yeah, I figured a lot of posters just really hated Aigis for some reason. I'd forgotten completely about the nonsense leading up to that.
No, Aigis' character is fine. I don't particularly like Karen Strassman's reading of her lines, but otherwise I had no problems with her. I feel like they could have switched Fuuka's and Aigis' VAs to better effect (Fuuka sounds like a robot in P3, and Strassman does a much better job when she's voicing adult-ish humans), but then they'd have Strassman talking to herself.

You probably blocked out the memories.

StandardVC10 posted:

He wanted to make it a surprise!
It would have been just as surprising if he'd said "a weapon" or something similar, which would have been actually true.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

It would have been just as surprising if he'd said "a weapon" or something similar, which would have been actually true.

I don't know man, Ikutsuki's just a weirdo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Commander Keene posted:

I get the feeling Ikutsuki wanted to make a pun about tanks and thanks, but Mitsuru hung up on him before he could spring that on her. :v:

I'm curious, but did they change writers between P2 and P3 onwards? I remember P2 being more respectful in that Jun was gay, but it's no big deal. There was also a trans NPC, but they weren't a joke either, but they just commented their resentment over society laughing at them and how they used the Joker charm/curse.