Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

I can see this kind of training being useful for firemen or maybe cops. Especially if the firemen has to lug around some heavy stuff and need to get somewhere in an emergency situation. But I doubt there's any health benefits for anyone else.

I'm pretty sure the primary benefit is to orthopedic surgeons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Lurking Haro posted:

The only winning move is not to play.

How about a nice game of chess?

Which always annoyed me.

It was a computer designed to "win" a nuclear war. The message it should have taken away from it's thousands of tic tac toe games was "If everyone plays perfectly, no one wins. Therefore your best chance of actual victory is to make the first move and hope your opponent makes a mistake."

:goonsay:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

:eyepoop:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

As a bonus bit of Legal Advice schaden, just read this entire thread of a guy worrying he's going to get in trouble for inadvertently teaching a neighbor's parrot to say "suck my dick".

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Bobby Digital posted:

I'm pretty sure the primary benefit is to orthopedic surgeons

Yup, this looks pretty much like How to Dislocate Your Shoulder 101.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

MizPiz posted:

The continuing adventures of Baked Alaska, the perpetual self-ownage device:

https://twitter.com/JoePerticone/status/916449240146210816
wooooow

Mu Zeta posted:

I can see this kind of training being useful for firemen or maybe cops. Especially if the firemen has to lug around some heavy stuff and need to get somewhere in an emergency situation. But I doubt there's any health benefits for anyone else.
how??? How would adding more weight on your body supported by your noodle arms do a fireperson any good?????

it wouldnt, and it would raise the risk of injury

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm thinking of situations where a fireman has to reach somewhere higher so instead of using pure strength he can use the momentum of his own bodyweight to get up there. At times they can be carrying like 70 pounds of equipment. Of course it would raise the risk of injury, but with their jobs it's either risk the injury or people die.

It's definitely not a good workout. I'm talking about it being a skill to utilize.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 05:43 on Oct 7, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Either way I think normal pull ups would still be better for that.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

...why wouldnt you just train doing real pullups with your weight on, that way your impulse pulls could be even higher?

ITs a dumb and bad idea my dude

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In Crossfit you do both. It's not either or. They are different exercises.

KoRMaK posted:

...why wouldnt you just train doing real pullups with your weight on, that way your impulse pulls could be even higher?

ITs a dumb and bad idea my dude

You need to train to do the kipping pull up to do it effectively and without injury.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

effectively and without injury.

Might I suggest another sport

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
But does the human body even respond to that sort of exercise? Your body doesn't just magically get stronger at everything if you do it over and over, you have to do it the right way.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Human beings are not Saiyans Mu Zeta

You should train in a way that doesn't gently caress your body up. Even if you put your life in harm's way in situations that might gently caress it up, you don't train in a way that double fucks it up.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

muscles grow larger by repairing microscopic tears in the fibers caused by exertion. so, logically, if you can cause enormous tears,

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/916522128811413504

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lol ok I get it now. Mu Zeta either believes in CrossFit, or is naive, or dumb, depending on age.

Kipping pullups are garbage new age bullshit, snake oil. And if you believe it then I have some crystals to sell you and you should def check out Infowars.com

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I feel like I need some context for this

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Ride The Gravitron posted:

Northrup is a competitor to Stark Industries. They realized it was a conflict of interest, as marvel is the parent company to Stark.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

In Crossfit you do both. It's not either or. They are different exercises.

You need to train to do the kipping pull up to do it effectively and without injury.

What's the effective way? Kipping uses momentum to get your chin over to kinda near the bar, and momentum means less muscular effort is required.

What benefit does it have over actual pull-ups? SLAP tears don't count as a benefit.

[quote="“Sagebrush”" post="“477139103”"]
muscles grow larger by repairing microscopic tears in the fibers caused by exertion. so, logically, if you can cause enormous tears,
[/quote]

Your friendly neighborhood orthopedic surgeon's bank account will grow larger.

Bobby Digital has a new favorite as of 07:04 on Oct 7, 2017

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The context is Iron Man 1 and the fact that nobody at Marvel seems to have watched it.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

they got flamed to heck mate for being in bed with the MIC

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Yea they reversed after all that effort which is interesting. It's one thing to parody MIC and accidentally glamorize it in a fake comic book company, but to actually do it in real life is real gross and it seems they may have realized that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Northrop Grumman are the 5th largest defense contractor in the world and they decided to partner up with Marvel Comics as a PR exercise. This did not go well and Marvel quickly backed out.

The links have examples of all the comics and ads that were being produced as part of the advertising campaign.

KoRMaK posted:

Yea they reversed after all that effort which is interesting. It's one thing to parody MIC and accidentally glamorize it in a fake comic book company, but to actually do it in real life is real gross and it seems they may have realized that.

So tone deaf. :allears:

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 07:13 on Oct 7, 2017

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Marvel decided to do a cross-promotion. Normally it's with a fast food joint or something and who cares, but this time it was Northrop Grumman. Complete with ads for them.

Turns out normal people aren't terribly comfortable with comics sponsored by a major defense contractor with hardware currently being used to blow up the middle-east.

Start in this thread, about seven posts down.

Extra irony: the whole point of Iron Man, who's in the comic with the stupid NG superheroes, is that he headed a defense contractor until he realized how awful it was and bailed.

edit: massively beaten, like Marvel's image.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Which always annoyed me.

It was a computer designed to "win" a nuclear war. The message it should have taken away from it's thousands of tic tac toe games was "If everyone plays perfectly, no one wins. Therefore your best chance of actual victory is to make the first move and hope your opponent makes a mistake."

:goonsay:

Annoyed you ever since you saw this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFCOapq3uYY ?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Northrop Grumman are the 5th largest defense contractor in the world and they decided to partner up with Marvel Comics as a PR exercise. This did not go well and Marvel quickly backed out.

The links have examples of all the comics and ads that were being produced as part of the advertising campaign.

So tone deaf. :allears:
I'm pretty sure the Grumman logo IS the Stark logo. Just the name and a curved line under it.

Welp, I was kinda close. It's the inverse - above and angular straight lines

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
LOL another potential political candidate in Australia has been kicked out by his party just hours after his candidacy was announced because someone dug up nasty poo poo on his social media.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-07/xenophon-candidate-rhys-adams-sacked-over-facebook-photos/9026442

How the gently caress does this keep happening? :allears:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KoRMaK posted:

I'm pretty sure the Grumman logo IS the Stark logo. Just the name and a curved line under it.

Welp, I was kinda close. It's the inverse - above and angular straight lines

It's actually Lockheed:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Except unlike Lockheed, Stark Industries can make planes that actually fly.
(The F-35 sucks real hard)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/603384079044759552

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Except unlike Lockheed, Stark Industries can make planes that actually fly.
(The F-35 sucks real hard)

What are you talking about? Lockheed flies perfectly well...

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm thinking of situations where a fireman has to reach somewhere higher so instead of using pure strength he can use the momentum of his own bodyweight to get up there. At times they can be carrying like 70 pounds of equipment. Of course it would raise the risk of injury, but with their jobs it's either risk the injury or people die.

It's definitely not a good workout. I'm talking about it being a skill to utilize.

Lol wtf? This dude is a goddamn idiot. Nobody trains like that. Whoever the gently caress he is, he's dressing up like that to work out for the attention.

There are 4 main workouts we do to keep in shape:
Keiser Sled
Charged Hose Drag
Push ups
Stair climb

That's it.

For reference, this is a Keiser Sled:

(On mobile, so apologies if huge)

Basically, you stand with one foot on each beam, and hit the weight in the middle with a 9lb dead-blow sledgehammer. Your goal is to move the weight 5 feet, which takes 20-25 strikes. It's designed to simulate forcible entry, and does so biomechanically perfectly.

For the charged hose drag, we take a 1 3/4" inch fire hose, hook it up to the engine and charge it (basically load it with water under pressure) and drag it. Sounds simple, but the further you go, the more weight you end up dragging. We aim for 150 ft. of drag, so you end up pulling appx. 280lbs at the end of the drag (a charged 1 3/4" line holds just under 33 gallons).

Push ups are self-explanatory.

Stair climb is generally done fully geared out in your bunker gear, on air, for 10 minutes at 60 steps/minute.

There's obviously variations to this routine, but these are the generally accepted workouts that we do on shift.

Zipperelli. has a new favorite as of 12:06 on Oct 7, 2017

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Is that Darkseid in the background?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Elizabethan Error posted:

https://twitter.com/SenJeffMerkley/status/915704243335700481/video/1
the EPA nominee for the Clean Air department is ignorant about basic chemistry and basic causality :chaostrump:

So he got the job, I presume?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Fearless Girl: Firm behind statue celebrating 'power of women' to settle lawsuit over underpaid female executives

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-07/fearless-girl-firm-to-settle-discrimination-lawsuit-5-million/9026540 posted:

The financial services firm behind Wall Street's Fearless Girl statue has agreed to pay $5 million to settle allegations by 305 female executives and 15 black executives that they were being paid less than their white male counterparts.

Whoops!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Serephina posted:

Is that Darkseid in the background?

Dude's just hanging out, doing a Christopher Pike / Star Trek cosplay.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

quote:

A 60-year-old Pennsylvania vegan says she's receiving death threats and abusive phone calls—and she's been forced to hide her Mother Nature Vegan Cuisine food truck—following her comments on Facebook mocking the deaths of dozens of Las Vegas concert-goers killed Sunday by a man shooting at them randomly from a hotel room.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/10/vegans-life-upended-after-facebook-rant-about-carnists-killed-in-vegas/

:ughh:

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Weatherman posted:

Fearless Girl: Firm behind statue celebrating 'power of women' to settle lawsuit over underpaid female executives

Whoops!

I'm getting double shchoohoden out of this. The whole fearless girl statue thing was so entirely tone deaf I couldn't believe the number of people crawling out of the woodwork to defend it as some kind of loving positive message. So the fact that it's exposed as not only a tone deaf corporate...thing AND they fact they are now settling a lawsuit, just make it more beautiful.

If there is a statue in NY that needs to torn down in the middle of the night it's fearless girl.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

I'm getting double shchoohoden out of this. The whole fearless girl statue thing was so entirely tone deaf I couldn't believe the number of people crawling out of the woodwork to defend it as some kind of loving positive message. So the fact that it's exposed as not only a tone deaf corporate...thing AND they fact they are now settling a lawsuit, just make it more beautiful.

If there is a statue in NY that needs to torn down in the middle of the night it's fearless girl.

No that statue singlehandedly ended sexism, and that issue is over. Now can we please get back to unregulated neoliberal capitalism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

How did she know they were all meat eaters?