Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

HAT FETISH posted:

oh and also, if you see it in IMAX (not a spoiler for the film itself, just a neat surprise) the giant number countdown sequence before the movie is all neon and BR2049 themed and giant hologram Joi makes an appearance :pcgaming:

excellent emoticon usage because same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

dogmother1776 posted:

did anyone else get that there was never any replicant kid?
What

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I watched the new ghost in the shell movie before this and the contrast in quality is so striking it's embarrassing

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

there is no evidence the child ever existed. Deckard was tricked by the earlier gen replicants into giving them the means to create a giant uprising.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

dogmother1776 posted:

there is no evidence the child ever existed. Deckard was tricked by the earlier gen replicants into giving them the means to create a giant uprising.
so the girl in the bubble is just... some random girl, and the final scene of the movie is meaningless? and Rachael was never pregnant, and the c-section scarring on the bones was faked, or something? For real I have no idea how you could possibly have developed this take, considering the movie straight up beats you over the head with the reveal that memory girl is Rachael and Deckard's daughter, and the memory of hiding the wooden horse in the ashes was something she actually experienced

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

HAT FETISH posted:

so the girl in the bubble is just... some random girl, and the final scene of the movie is meaningless? and Rachael was never pregnant, and the c-section scarring on the bones was faked, or something? For real I have no idea how you could possibly have developed this take, considering the movie straight up beats you over the head with the reveal that memory girl is Rachael and Deckard's daughter, and the memory of hiding the wooden horse in the ashes was something she actually experienced

It would be a pretty long play for a gotcha twist.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Only 75%

Also :lol: at the hot take about everything being a bluff. No way.

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

HAT FETISH posted:

it's not a meaningless ending. Deckard has betrayed and effectively destroyed the human race and knows no better. The people that performed the scans on those bones were replicants, they were under the bridge, they're part of the resistance and in on it. Memory girl is the best memory contractor, she can tell the difference between fake/real memories, that doesn't mean they're hers; also the person in the wooden horse memory is a boy. The first movie was about the dangers of AI, this movie is the conclusion to those dangers.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

What the heck, man

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
So are we to think that Las Vegas was attacked by terrorists? 'dirty bomb'. Thats some bad timing. Reminded me of BoJack Horseman.

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

it's just a theory I want to be true I know it's not what the movie is obviously trying to say. The twist at the end of the first Blade Runner was "is deckard a replicant?" They confirmed Deckard is human so it's cool to have something else to speculate about.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

dogmother1776 posted:

also the person in the wooden horse memory is a boy.

All the boys in the orphanage are bald. There's the line about "dressing her in blue". That's a girl, the girl.

Like yeah the actor's a boy because when it's first shown they're still teasing it being Ryan Gosling as a kid.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

dogmother1776 posted:

it's not a meaningless ending. Deckard has betrayed and effectively destroyed the human race and knows no better. The people that performed the scans on those bones were replicants, they were under the bridge, they're part of the resistance and in on it. Memory girl is the best memory contractor, she can tell the difference between fake/real memories, that doesn't mean they're hers; also the person in the wooden horse memory is a boy. The first movie was about the dangers of AI, this movie is the conclusion to those dangers.
Dude no

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Like did you miss the thing about modern replicants being unable to disobey, and the constant recalibration K (and presumably every other replicant in the LAPD) has to undergo? There's no double bluff grand conspiracy that the forensics team was in on and wait why am I even bothering with this, you're blatantly trolling

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The bad girl:
i wonder what her motivation was. Did she want her boss to succeed because then there'd be many more replicants and presumably they might overthrow humans or whatever she had aspirations of, or was she just following orders no matter what, even though she could lie to the police so she has some level of free thought.
Interesting contrast to Roy, since my take is that he killed Tyrell so he couldnt make more replicants who would be doomed to suffer like Roy

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

HAT FETISH posted:

Like did you miss the thing about modern replicants being unable to disobey, and the constant recalibration K (and presumably every other replicant in the LAPD) has to undergo? There's no double bluff grand conspiracy that the forensics team was in on and wait why am I even bothering with this, you're blatantly trolling

The forensics team was under the bridge with the replicant resistance. Even the guy that got his head bashed in by the Wallace corp girl was there.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

got any sevens posted:

The bad girl:
i wonder what her motivation was. Did she want her boss to succeed because then there'd be many more replicants and presumably they might overthrow humans or whatever she had aspirations of, or was she just following orders no matter what, even though she could lie to the police so she has some level of free thought.
Interesting contrast to Roy, since my take is that he killed Tyrell so he couldnt make more replicants who would be doomed to suffer like Roy

I think she was just following orders. Clearly she had more autonomy/higher intelligence than other replicants, but I think that was because like Rachel she was of particular interest/use to the creator. Basically, she was a tool of the corporation so she could lie and kill as long as it suited Wallace's directives.

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

unlawfulsoup posted:

I think she was just following orders. Clearly she had more autonomy/higher intelligence than other replicants, but I think that was because like Rachel she was of particular interest/use to the creator. Basically, she was a tool of the corporation so she could lie and kill as long as it suited Wallace's directives.

Although whenever she was witnessing atrocities against her own kind, she was shedding tears. Part of me felt like there was an internal struggle between her programming to be loyal and her growing autonomy. As if maybe she didn't want to be at the beck and call of Wallace and resented the way replicants were treated, but didn't have too much of a choice in her actions.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

dogmother1776 posted:

The forensics team was under the bridge with the replicant resistance. Even the guy that got his head bashed in by the Wallace corp girl was there.
They're replicants. As demonstrated by clone-Rachel, they aren't necessarily unique individuals.

Assuming they're physical duplicates of their LAPD counterparts is far less of a leap than the idea that they're part of a secret conspiracy that's completely absent from the film's text. Also chief cop lady was pretty explicit about forensics guy being, yknow, dead (unless he...... actually wasn't??? Whoa Dude What A Twist :tinfoil:)

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

GeekyManatee posted:

Although whenever she was witnessing atrocities against her own kind, she was shedding tears. Part of me felt like there was an internal struggle between her programming to be loyal and her growing autonomy. As if maybe she didn't want to be at the beck and call of Wallace and resented the way replicants were treated, but didn't have too much of a choice in her actions.

I think that is a fair point, you see it in K as well when talking to the chief. I assume that the programming comes first but with the degree of intelligence they have there seems to be underlying conflicts.

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

HAT FETISH posted:

They're replicants. As demonstrated by clone-Rachel, they aren't necessarily unique individuals.

Assuming they're physical duplicates of their LAPD counterparts is far less of a leap than the idea that they're part of a secret conspiracy that's completely absent from the film's text. Also chief cop lady was pretty explicit about forensics guy being, yknow, dead (unless he...... actually wasn't??? Whoa Dude What A Twist :tinfoil:)

I didn't consider that the only clones in the movie were the forensics team, the only people replicants with evidence that the replicant child existed.

Eb
May 6, 2003
Wasn't the daughter working on a snow memory thing when Deckard walked in, just as the snow was falling on K as he was dying on the steps outside? I was wondering if that was hinting at something deeper there.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

HAT FETISH posted:

i thought they might be setting up a lucifer to leto's god, but it appears not. anyway, i thought she pretty clearly had her own interest in this - see how she behaves when she kills the policewoman. she wants them to proliferate, the same way as leto does, but it seems to be for reasons of furthering her own kind.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Sgt. Politeness posted:

He meant did everyone catch that she called him Joe and the implication there in of it simply being a default response and not a heartfelt or thought out name.

I think the true "Ist Deckard ein Replikant" of this film is Did K's Joi truely love him or was she just that well programed to pickup on his desire for love. Like in the same way that if you treat a replicant like/allow them to be a person long enough they'll develop their own personality and feelings.

Yes, this is what I meant. Thanks. He's down and out and beaten and then being called that really hits it home for him. A real low point.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Neurosis posted:

i thought they might be setting up a lucifer to leto's god, but it appears not. anyway, i thought she pretty clearly had her own interest in this - see how she behaves when she kills the policewoman. she wants them to proliferate, the same way as leto does, but it seems to be for reasons of furthering her own kind.

Also found it a bit illogical or poorly explained how Miss MurderKillBot was allowed to go around killing human cops with no consequences. Yes, I get it that corporations rule but needed an explanation.

And again, one of the weakest characters.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

The replicant revolution subplot went absolutely nowhere and just springs up in the third act.

It's there as sequel bait and was maybe the worst part of the film.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Reminded me of the Matrix in a not-alltogether-good way.

Also clashed badly with the themes of incredibly sad levels of lonelyness and isolation running throughout the film

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Uh... so was it me or did Chief try to have a go at K?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

I didn't think about it at the time, but now that you mention it probably yeah.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wank posted:

So are we to think that Las Vegas was attacked by terrorists? 'dirty bomb'. Thats some bad timing. Reminded me of BoJack Horseman.
Yeeeeeeeeeah, that got me choked up :smith: I'm surprised the timing didn't get the movie delayed or anything. Maybe it was too late to do that.

Reminded me of Let's Be Cops coming out literally days after Michael Brown was killed by a cop in Ferguson :stonk:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

LingcodKilla posted:

that's what i got out of the scene in his apartment, too.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

LingcodKilla posted:

That was the single strongest scene in the film, it's too bad that Robin Wright's character was totally undeveloped otherwise.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah, it's absolute trash.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Well he can't turn down an order...

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah, it's absolute trash.

it's the unicorn scene of this film, and i will similarly treat it as having not happened.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Neurosis posted:

it's the unicorn scene of this film, and i will similarly treat it as having not happened.

Don't forget that super important scene with Edward James Olmos that looked like it was recorded in 30 minutes at a senior living center.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Saw this last night and its absolutely brilliant. Given that Blade Runner is probably one of my most favourite movies, i'm so so happy that the sequel is fantastic. Villeneuve is a genius.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I watched the new ghost in the shell movie before this and the contrast in quality is so striking it's embarrassing

Yeah I noticed that also and it was one of the things that annoyed me most about the GitS movie. The city in it was extremely plastic and unnatural looking. I gather they were aiming for an anime feel, but it looked ridiculous. Even more strange really given how much money they had in budget.

2049's settings and cities just blew that movie away. Also if ever there was a movie that was warning about the ecological and environmental effects of over consumption, this would be it. We're not that far off 2049's world becoming a reality.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

dogmother1776 posted:

The first movie was about the dangers of AI, this movie is the conclusion to those dangers.

gently caress naw. Scott's got a thing with giving robots humanity and sympathy, like, recurrent through his filmography. Blade Runner is no different, and asking you to sympathise with Batty and co is a main point.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The thing that gets me is that are replicants really robots by this point? They're more like...genetically engineered humans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Well he can't turn down an order...

Honestly it would have been brilliant if they had done that. It'd be a great parallel to the Joi/K relationship. The ethics of could K being able to consent etc. It'd address the criticism that most of the female characters are male gazey

WMain00 posted:

The thing that gets me is that are replicants really robots by this point? They're more like...genetically engineered humans?

I mean this is pretty much the core theme of both movies. Slavery in our history was built on dehumanising the slaves and when people started recognising that slaves were human the practice seemed all the more abhorrent. If replicants were recognised as human we'd have to confront all the heinous poo poo we make replicants do - which is exacerbated because of their superiority over us in every other facet. Are humans relevant in a world with replicants.

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Oct 7, 2017

• Locked thread