Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
the franciscans were drunk for the entire middle ages so in some respects he'll be bringing the order back to its roots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
The first episode in our religion podcast "Smells and Bells" including questions from Tias!

Edit: Critical feedback appreciated.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 4, 2017

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...

I really enjoyed your podcast. I only have a very minor bit of critical feedback. Regarding the Vajra talk (I'm one of those Nyingmapa nerds), when I first took refuge, my teacher made it clear that by doing so, one way or another, no matter how I hosed poo poo up in this life, enlightenment was inevitable (edit: not necessarily in the current life, though). Though, I admit, I can see how the allure of certain practices can distract one from their objective if they become a bit obsessive. Overall, though, I think Vajrayana is rad for people who appreciate smells and bells. Regarding Tias's question, I actually think Theravada is a bit more like Protestantism in the way that it is more deeply focused on the individual. Though, really, the two religions are so different that they're difficult to compare.

Also, I'd love to hear more icon chat. I've had some Catholic coworkers with a few icon looking decorations in their spaces, but they don't really hold a candle to the giant pile of icons I've seen in local Orthodox churches. A lot of the art is similar in many ways, I'm just not certain why icons aren't as much of a thing with Catholics, especially since the Orthodox had that whole Iconoclasm thing happen.

cerror fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 4, 2017

Caufman
May 7, 2007
You guys have good podcast voices, too.

On copyright, I heard good points from both. The Holy See maintains normal relations with the Federal government of the USA. The Vatican acknowledges the right of America's government right to make and enforce laws in its territories.

But piracy is a synonym of infringement and bootlegging. It's not a synonym of theft. The biggest difference is in the loss of physical property. Capitalism is not modeled after the Kingdom of Heaven, where the libraries are even easier than Amazon Prime. Right now it controls how much human creation any person gets to access based on economic status.

Now I believe that the vast quantity of pirated material is wasteful entertainment that wounds the soul to consume regardless of copyright adherence. The first few times I played Crusader Kings II (paid for) really helped me appreciate the European middle ages, but the next 300 hours had sharply diminished value and increasing opportunity costs. But among pirated materials are important books and meaningful films. I know there are public libraries, but inconvenience is a cost applied to some people and not others under our capital-based economic systems.

Caufman fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 4, 2017

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

cerror posted:

I really enjoyed your podcast. I only have a very minor bit of critical feedback. Regarding the Vajra talk (I'm one of those Nyingmapa nerds), when I first took refuge, my teacher made it clear that by doing so, one way or another, no matter how I hosed poo poo up in this life, enlightenment was inevitable (edit: not necessarily in the current life, though). Though, I admit, I can see how the allure of certain practices can distract one from their objective if they become a bit obsessive. Overall, though, I think Vajrayana is rad for people who appreciate smells and bells. Regarding Tias's question, I actually think Theravada is a bit more like Protestantism in the way that it is more deeply focused on the individual. Though, really, the two religions are so different that they're difficult to compare.

Thank you for insights like this, I plan on having a short section called "The CDF" where we talk about viewer feedback and either clarify our position or amend them with thanks.

cerror posted:

Also, I'd love to hear more icon chat. I've had some Catholic coworkers with a few icon looking decorations in their spaces, but they don't really hold a candle to the giant pile of icons I've seen in local Orthodox churches. A lot of the art is similar in many ways, I'm just not certain why icons aren't as much of a thing with Catholics, especially since the Orthodox had that whole Iconoclasm thing happen.

An excellent topic! Thank you!

Caufman posted:

You guys have good podcast voices, too.

Thanks. :3:

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 4, 2017

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Man, "I stand before the flag, I kneel before the cross" has to be some grade A bullshit.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I couldn't find your podcast on my particular iphone's podcast ap. Instacast. Not sure why.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Assuming you aren't trolling you should know your cousin sounds like a legitimate psychopath.

I've been more or less certain of this for several years and have washed my hands of him to the greatest extent I possibly can, given that he's aggressively pleasant around people when it matters. And that's the last I'll say about it.

On a tangentially related note that's way more fun to talk about, how does everyone in here manage theodicy? In the past I'd taken a very Calvinistic sort of perspective that we deserve to suffer and what we perceive as evil is just, but then some of the depression sloughed off and I had to come up with something that didn't make me sound fifteen. I'm still working on it and while I try to maintain that the eternally satisfying nature of the afterlife puts temporal suffering in perspective, it usually comes up hollow unless I really try and turn off my ego. I'd be glad to hear of some thoughts on it that aren't inchoate bullshit like mine.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

CountFosco posted:

I couldn't find your podcast on my particular iphone's podcast ap. Instacast. Not sure why.

Should work now, it went live on iTunes a few hours ago.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Alvarez IV posted:

I've been more or less certain of this for several years and have washed my hands of him to the greatest extent I possibly can, given that he's aggressively pleasant around people when it matters. And that's the last I'll say about it.

On a tangentially related note that's way more fun to talk about, how does everyone in here manage theodicy? In the past I'd taken a very Calvinistic sort of perspective that we deserve to suffer and what we perceive as evil is just, but then some of the depression sloughed off and I had to come up with something that didn't make me sound fifteen. I'm still working on it and while I try to maintain that the eternally satisfying nature of the afterlife puts temporal suffering in perspective, it usually comes up hollow unless I really try and turn off my ego. I'd be glad to hear of some thoughts on it that aren't inchoate bullshit like mine.

That's more or less how I look at it. Edward Feser put it something like "learning to play the violin can be painful and frustrating, but being a skilled violin player is a source of joy; the pain involved in learning to play the violin is insignificant, not even worth mentioning, compared to the pain of someone who's lost a child, but the joy of being a skilled violin player is vastly more insignificant still than the joy of Heaven," and while I didn't find his actual wording memorable (obviously), the idea stuck with me.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

What kind of religious podcasts do people here listen to/enjoy, anyway? Currently I'm subscribed to:

Religions of the Ancient Mediterranean
The Illumined Heart
The Anglican Internet Church
The Areopagus
The Deconstructionists
A History of Christian Theology
Light of the East
More than One Lesson
The Morning Offering
Pop Culture Coffee Hour
Reasonable Faith Podcast (don't judge)
Trinities
Unbelievable
Voices From St Vladimir's Seminary.

That's actually way more than I realized. Any good ones out there that people recommend?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Weyward, which is, according to their Twitter, "A podcast talking about how our society handles weirdness & wondering if religion could help us do a better job."

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

CountFosco posted:

What kind of religious podcasts do people here listen to/enjoy, anyway? Currently I'm subscribed to:

The Illumined Heart
The Areopagus
The Deconstructionists
Light of the East
More than One Lesson
The Morning Offering
Pop Culture Coffee Hour
Trinities
Unbelievable

That's actually way more than I realized. Any good ones out there that people recommend?

That's a bunch. Which are your favorites?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
NPR's On Being

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Slimy Hog posted:

That's a bunch. Which are your favorites?

My favorite would probably be Unbelievable. It's a good premise, each episode has one Christian, one non-Christian, engaged in dialogue or debate. And they mix it up sometimes by pitting Christians against Calvinists too.

Trinities can get a little wearisome because It's basically a Unitarian who seems obsessed with taking down trinitarianism, one logical argument at a time, but he has an interesting perspective and his episode on Unitarian Congregationalism I found incredibly fascinating coming from a Trinitarian Congregationalist background (UCC).

http://trinities.org/blog/podcast-168-the-death-of-unitarian-congregationalism/

CountFosco fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 5, 2017

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Alvarez IV posted:

On a tangentially related note that's way more fun to talk about, how does everyone in here manage theodicy?

I think it's one of those mysteries that every believer has to work out for himself or herself and then hopefully find something he or she is comfortable with.

I've read all the philosophical arguments and some of them are logically correct (and some aren't, lookin' at you Leibniz) but realistically all of them are pretty trash from a pastoral perspective. It's very difficult to keep repeating Aquinas' "God uses all evil for the greater good" like some sort of automaton when people are suffering incredibly in the present and some nebulous future good is the last thing they want to hear about.

My own personal opinion is that questions of theodicy are not particularly fruitful, and I would be better served by actually confronting evil and suffering in the present rather than just sitting around thinking about William Lane Craig's Molinist theory of trans-world damnation (which is the coolest title but unfortunately he's also wrong, he fell into the same trap as Leibniz.)

JcDent
May 13, 2013

While some suffering unavoidably comes from the world (birth defects, landslides), wast majority comes from human action (drunkeness, wars) or inaction (African famine, Puerto Rico), so we could be living much better if we cared.

By the way, my grandfather passed away, requesting prayers for my grandma and aunt, and maybe my inscrutable atheist father.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

CountFosco posted:

The Illumined Heart
The Areopagus
The Deconstructionists
Light of the East
More than One Lesson
The Morning Offering
Pop Culture Coffee Hour
Trinities
Unbelievable

Way off-topic but I always thought podcasts, what little I know of them, were basically just recordings of some radio shows (or the like) a bit like how you'd record a tv show that you might want to watch later. Them having an actual active audience is a surprise. I may sound dumb but is listening to podcasts as common as your list suggests? When do people listen to them? :shobon:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Valiantman posted:

Way off-topic but I always thought podcasts, what little I know of them, were basically just recordings of some radio shows (or the like) a bit like how you'd record a tv show that you might want to watch later. Them having an actual active audience is a surprise. I may sound dumb but is listening to podcasts as common as your list suggests? When do people listen to them? :shobon:

I listen to them at the gym or while painting miniatures or washing the floors.
And yes, a podcast is basically a radio show you can listen at any time.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Valiantman posted:

I'm not sure what kind of car culture you all have, but the US is so spread out that a lot of people have to drive if they want to go somewhere. I, for example, have to drive about an hour to see my brother, then an hour back. With public transit and a taxi that would be significantly longer and more expensive. I listen to podcasts then because I like talk "radio" more than music. I also listen in traffic so I don't lose my mind.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Oct 5, 2017

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

I do a lot of driving for my job. Also, podcasts are, in my opinion, more interesting than a typical radio show because they reach more narrow, particularized interests. For example, I listen to podcasts about Magic the Gathering, because that is a particular passion of mine, and there would never be something that niche on a radio station.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
the only podcast i listen to is my brother my brother and me and i listen to it on my way to work, on my way home, and sometimes while i shower but usually i listen to music since it's easier to hear over running water and i can time my shower better

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

So I got around to listen to the podcast, and it's a very great answer, thanks!

We went over tibetan buddhism today, and visited a theravada temple - where we also learned about how this sort of buddhism integrated a lot of practices from bön, a shamanist and animist faith already present, and the lama there also explained that a lot of buddhist currents integrate parts of the local faiths and cultures they meet. So, at least initially, buddhism is syncretic, but is honest and cool about it, which I really like.

E: Oh, you go into this as well. Great stuff, thanks!

Tias fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 5, 2017

Caufman
May 7, 2007

The Phlegmatist posted:

I think it's one of those mysteries that every believer has to work out for himself or herself and then hopefully find something he or she is comfortable with.

I've read all the philosophical arguments and some of them are logically correct (and some aren't, lookin' at you Leibniz) but realistically all of them are pretty trash from a pastoral perspective. It's very difficult to keep repeating Aquinas' "God uses all evil for the greater good" like some sort of automaton when people are suffering incredibly in the present and some nebulous future good is the last thing they want to hear about.

My own personal opinion is that questions of theodicy are not particularly fruitful, and I would be better served by actually confronting evil and suffering in the present rather than just sitting around thinking about William Lane Craig's Molinist theory of trans-world damnation (which is the coolest title but unfortunately he's also wrong, he fell into the same trap as Leibniz.)

I agree with The Phlegmist's points and wish to associate myself with them.

The most useful reaction I've had to seeing suffering or feeling suffering has been to look at it logotherapeutically, as Viktor Frankl did when he was in Auschwitz. Instead of asking himself what was the reason he and his fellow prisoners had to suffer so greatly, he asked what were the reasons they endured life through any kind of suffering at all, great or small. He asked people for the reasons they would want to stay alive if they weren't prisoners, and he helped identify with them how that still applies to them in any situation.

In the sacred story of the Christian scriptures, the reason there's suffering comes from the first man and woman's disobedience, eating the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil which would kill them. No further reason is written for why the fruit exists or why it gives mortality to Eve and Adam. Since then we have lived in the realm and era of unclearness, death, and pain. But it's also the time of the building of the kingdom of heaven, anticipating its completion with the return of God among us and the eternal abolition of death and suffering.

It only seems like it might be difficult to consider one's existence in both authentic history and mythology to be valid and important. But actually we have remarkable imagination.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Valiantman posted:

I listen to them on my train commute, when washing dishes, in the shower, cleaning etc. Pretty much any time that I don't need to concentrate on the task at hand.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Slimy Hog posted:

I listen to them on my train commute, when washing dishes, in the shower, cleaning etc. Pretty much any time that I don't need to concentrate on the task at hand.

That seems like the exact opposite to how talk radio would work for me. Funny how the brains function. I wouldn't want to have anything else to do at the time. Maybe excepting the dishwasing.

I guess I just default to music usually, though I do sometimes listen to the one solely-talk-radio channel there is if I'm on a longer car drive. Say, 2+ hours.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Valiantman posted:

That seems like the exact opposite to how talk radio would work for me. Funny how the brains function. I wouldn't want to have anything else to do at the time. Maybe excepting the dishwasing.
if i'm doing something repetitive and wordless like sewing, i'll want something on. I watched two entire multipart documentaries on the Vietnam War while making my reenacting outfit.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Alright I finally listened to this. It's good.

Although realistically I think Tias asked about the role of God in Buddhism and you talked about the role of gods in Buddhism? Anyway the Vietnamese demons already possessed me.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

The Phlegmatist posted:

Alright I finally listened to this. It's good.

Although realistically I think Tias asked about the role of God in Buddhism and you talked about the role of gods in Buddhism? Anyway the Vietnamese demons already possessed me.

Naw, I did want to know what was up with the gods in Buddhism. I mean, the religion is experience/enlightenment based, rather than shown to you by a diety, so why have dieties in the first place?

E: Also, I appreciate the pronounciation! It's not so much "Tee-arse" as "Ti-uhs.", but much better than the "Tee-rear end" people usually attempt :)

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Get on my level, scrub, nobody can even write my nick right.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
role of God in buddhism; none

whenever i get on catholic answers looking for funny questions and see the dominicans talk about how buddhism is incompatible with catholicism i'm like "harold they're different religions"

course i have very few issues with syncretism so even when they talk about the dreaded topic i'm like "the issue with syncretism is not the watering down or betraying of catholicism but the imperialist desire to find meaning from a colonized culture by the colonizer"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

course i have very few issues with syncretism so even when they talk about the dreaded topic i'm like "the issue with syncretism is not the watering down or betraying of catholicism but the imperialist desire to find meaning from a colonized culture by the colonizer"
that doesn't explain German Indology, where the entire point was that Germany had no indian colonies, wanted none, and repeatedly compared themselves to India in their writings, since both were large multi-polity regions that got "colonized" by others

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
that wasn't meant to be explanatory it was meant to be an ethical question that anyone who engages in syncretism needs to take into account and not stick into a three page epilogue that gladhands the issue PAUL KNITTER

JcDent
May 13, 2013

There's some plausible sounding stuff that the USSR was promoting eastern spirituality/religions in the 1970s and on to get the local people in the Union away from Christianity.

And on the other hand, Russia seems like a place that's obsessed with indigo children and other stuff that's not religious, but mystical.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Senju Kannon posted:

whenever i get on catholic answers looking for funny questions and see the dominicans talk about how buddhism is incompatible with catholicism i'm like "harold they're different religions"

I don't think people who want to mash Buddhism and Christianity together have ever really studied Buddhism seriously.

Like...nobody ever asks if Islam and Catholicism are compatible. It's almost as if western conceptions of Buddhism have twisted an ancient religion into a form eagerly sought by a society that loves consumption and novelty and self-reliance.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Is this overblown? What do the original texts say?

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/10/06/the-pope-claims-accepting-transgender-people-will-make-everyone-infertile/

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
The headline is a misrepresentation, yes. The full text is here, but the relevant passage:

quote:

First and foremost, however, we must honestly recognize what is holding us back and
what is lacking. The subordination that, sadly, has marked the history of women must be
definitively abandoned. The ethos of peoples must accept a new beginning so that it can create
a new culture of identity and difference. The recent proposals for restoring the dignity of the
person by radically eliminating any difference between the sexes, and, as a result, the covenant
between man and woman, is not right. Rather than opposing negative interpretations of sexual
difference that eliminate the value of that difference for human dignity, these proposals would
simply eliminate this difference by proposing techniques and practices that make difference
irrelevant to human development and to human relationships. But a "neuter" utopia removes
both the human dignity of sexual difference and the personal aspect of the generation and
transmission of life. The biological and psychological manipulation of sexual difference, which
biomedical technology now presents as a simple matter of personal choice—which it is not!—
risks eliminating the source of energy that nourishes the covenant between man and woman
and makes it creative and fruitful.

I think I understand what he is saying here, but I'm also not aware of any particular activists, trans or otherwise, who want to turn us all into a bunch of homogeneous neuter creatures who breed only via test tubes. Sounds like the Pope was strawmanning a bit, and then the magazine decided to up the ante still further.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
"The Pope said transitioning is making straight people infertile" is indeed a p. weird take for a supposed ally who forgot nonbinary individuals can also be straight and fertile.

Also it was mostly about technology taking over our lives and dehumanizing us.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
my man francis taking a hard stance against 80s style radical feminism

i can understand how contemporary activists could miss that, they were expecting the church to be dialoguing with people who haven't already been discredited or improved on in the past three decades. nearly four for some radfem thinkers.

it reminds me of my jesuit professor who said the greatest problem the church in the 21st century had to contend with was the issue of women, and i was like "oh my god the church is stuck in the sixties" except now apparently frank read, let's say janice raymond since he also hates trans women and i'm blanking on actually important radical feminist theorists, and so has caught up to the 80s. but no one knows because we're already beyond the transsexual empire. i mean, we're not since transition related healthcare still isn't covered by medicare or medicaid and probably won't for at least four years, but you see what i'm saying raymond only plays to cathy brennans these days so we're not paying much attention to her as a serious person worth debating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
also it is sincerely okay if not every religious institution adheres to progressive ideas about sexuality

• Locked thread