Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Can't believe R2 got loving murdered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I watch the films in chronological order because theyre all good movies and designed to watch that way, as well as any other order.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I watch Return of the Jedi first, pause it right when Luke unmasks Vader, and then watch 1-5, then finish off Return of the Jedi so it makes sense.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Detective No. 27 posted:

I watch Return of the Jedi first, pause it right when Luke unmasks Vader, and then watch 1-5, then finish off Return of the Jedi so it makes sense.

I hope you pause it, zoom in on Vader, and say "I bet you're wondering how I got into this mess" before watching 1-5

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The easiest way:
https://youtu.be/RoaUPNRUImU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The pro way (unfortunately only the trailer because the actual video got deleted or something):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beLIF2NhESs

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 7, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Davros1 posted:

I hope you pause it, zoom in on Vader, and say "I bet you're wondering how I got into this mess" before watching 1-5

I did. I realized that Lucas's edits didn't go far enough and added in a record scratching sound effect too.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/HarkinsTheatres/status/916982767379976193

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
AMC has a page up for an Episode VII and VIII double feature, if that sort of thing is up your alley.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Wow so Tuesday nz time! Yay! I can't wait! I feel like watching the trailer to TFA was only a wee while ago : o

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm just gonna wait a few weeks to go see the movie without hassle or huge crowd.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

There is now a teaser clip for a trailer for Star Wars 8, which is not the eighth Star War.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

thats a lotta hands.

Schlonged Again
Jan 30, 2016

Johnson has some sort of Tarantino-esque hand fetish.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Is there any way to get to the (obviously not yet active) ticketing page for The Last Jedi at a specific theater on AMC's website? I kinda would like something I can sit there and refresh constantly starting at about 5 tonight.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Unless they decided to change things from two years ago, you can also just go to the theater tonight and buy tickets there.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Real Name Grover posted:

Unless they decided to change things from two years ago, you can also just go to the theater tonight and buy tickets there.

While that's true...I'm not sure how'd they'd take to me loitering around at the theater for hours. For TFA, tickets went up sometime during the first quarter of the game and didn't actually coincide with halftime at all...so I'm not gonna be relying on the actual gametime to know when to try to order.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

While that's true...I'm not sure how'd they'd take to me loitering around at the theater for hours. For TFA, tickets went up sometime during the first quarter of the game and didn't actually coincide with halftime at all...so I'm not gonna be relying on the actual gametime to know when to try to order.

You could potentially just go to your theater and ask them. There's a good chance they know when it goes live, right?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Yeah, I guess if you're going for one of the first showings, I get it. Opting for a mid-morning Friday showing myself.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm just going to find a screening on the day that's showing it. Why not throw some suspense into this thing.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Is it really that likely to sell out on the very first day tickets become available? Theatres know this is going to be huge and will be planning accordingly, I imagine. I booked midnight tickets for Force Awakens the night-of and that was arguably a more hyped and anticipated film than TLJ is.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

jivjov posted:

Is there any way to get to the (obviously not yet active) ticketing page for The Last Jedi at a specific theater on AMC's website? I kinda would like something I can sit there and refresh constantly starting at about 5 tonight.

i too would like to figure this out

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

i too would like to figure this out

code:
https://www.fandango.com/amc-84th-street-6-aabqa/theater-page?date=2017-12-15
This is about the closest you can get as of noon eastern - the important bit is the date.

code:
https://tickets.fandango.com/transaction/ticketing/express/ticketboxoffice.aspx?row_count=196131635&tid=aabqa&sdate=2017-10-09+22:55&mid=205640&from=mov_det_showtimes
(Example link for blade runner tickets)

we don't any of the other parameters to get to a better ticketing page yet

edit: some theaters do have disabled buttons but there's nothing interesting there yet.

code:
<span class="btn showtime-btn showtime-btn--restricted js-amenity" data-amenity-desc="Tickets coming soon. Be sure to check back later!" data-amenity-name="Ticket Availability">7:00p</span>

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cat Machine posted:

Is it really that likely to sell out on the very first day tickets become available? Theatres know this is going to be huge and will be planning accordingly, I imagine. I booked midnight tickets for Force Awakens the night-of and that was arguably a more hyped and anticipated film than TLJ is.

I want to go to the double feature, which probably will only have a single auditorium showing it.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

rawillkill posted:

code:
https://www.fandango.com/amc-84th-street-6-aabqa/theater-page?date=2017-12-15
This is about the closest you can get as of noon eastern - the important bit is the date.

code:
https://tickets.fandango.com/transaction/ticketing/express/ticketboxoffice.aspx?row_count=196131635&tid=aabqa&sdate=2017-10-09+22:55&mid=205640&from=mov_det_showtimes
(Example link for blade runner tickets)

we don't any of the other parameters to get to a better ticketing page yet

edit: some theaters do have disabled buttons but there's nothing interesting there yet.

code:
<span class="btn showtime-btn showtime-btn--restricted js-amenity" data-amenity-desc="Tickets coming soon. Be sure to check back later!" data-amenity-name="Ticket Availability">7:00p</span>

Good info. For some reason AMC theaters do not show up on my Fandango so I have to get them rough AMC's website

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Cat Machine posted:

Depends on where you live. Tfa sold out entire opening night in like an hour once ticket went live, but i lived in a huge city and woth multiple colleges at the time.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

I want to go to the double feature, which probably will only have a single auditorium showing it.

Is the double feature ESB and TLJ, so we can note the similarities more easily?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
So when is halftime? Does it come at a certain points threshold?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

homullus posted:

Is the double feature ESB and TLJ, so we can note the similarities more easily?

TFA and TLJ

UmOk posted:

After two 15 minute quarters. (This is game time, not actual elapsed time)

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

UmOk posted:

Mods please move this thread to TFF for the day

Or move the MNF GDT here

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

UmOk posted:

I got this joke, don't worry.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

So I picked up a Black Series Episode 8 Luke figure, and I have to say that I really like his Episode 7/8 character design. It's a nice visual evolution of his OT looks:

It's a fairly common observation that in the OT his outfits get successively darker with each movie as he becomes more and more in danger of falling to the dark side. But by the sequels he's passed this test, and so he's gone back to wearing white - except not entirely. This isn't the farmboy of ANH any more, and there's elements of darker colors throughout the costume, since Luke's still carrying around a lot of the tragedy of the OT and beyond. Most notably the cloak: when we first see Luke in TFA he's entirely covered in dark grey. Compare to the first glimpse of him in ROTJ, where we see him as nothing but a black cloak; this Luke isn't in as immediate danger of falling to the dark side like that one, but there's still a darkness veiling the character.

The cloak and beard also suggest Obi-Wan, indicating that this is a Luke who has advanced to mastery and gained wisdom. The outfit is similar to the old Jedi, connecting Luke to them, but the colors are all Luke. The long hair reminds me somewhat of Qui-Gon, implying that Luke may not be as hidebound as the old Order, or that he's gone a bit native in his exile (even desert tramp Obi-Wan has a pretty conservative haircut). The bare metal hand stands out the most - visually, it reminds us of PT Anakin (and is another hint at the darkness in his past and bloodline), and plot-wise, shows us that some sort of trauma happened in the past to strip his hand of its fake flesh, and was something that Luke was unable or unwilling to fix.

Overall, we get the impression of a Luke that's older and wiser than we last left him, and has achieved mastery as a Jedi; he's experienced darkness and pain that's left its mark on him, but he hasn't entirely given into it and the Luke we know is still there underneath. This Luke isn't in danger of falling into darkness, but of hiding himself in a nice neutral gray and withdrawing from the world. Of course, not knowing any TLJ spoilers beyond the trailer, the movie could throw a wrench in this entire characterization, but from TFA and what I've seen of TLJ it seems right.

In contrast, I never really cared for the old Legends visual portrayal of Jedi Master Luke. It was either a direct copy of ROTJ, or just OT Luke in Old Jedi Order robes, both of which I think are entirely the wrong visuals for showing how his character would go after ROTJ. They both indicate stagnation, while this Luke's look tells a story in itself.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'd bet that Luke will get his full hand back once he returns to civilization(assuming he returns at all), it makes sense that a more basic model would work better for life in exile.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lord Hydronium posted:

The cloak and beard also suggest Obi-Wan, indicating that this is a Luke who has advanced to mastery and gained wisdom.

:laffo:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The cloak and beard also suggest Obi-Wan, indicating that this is a Luke who has advanced to mastery and is open to naked manipulation.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Luke is being handed a weapon and is presumably going to be pressured into fighting a war.

He's not the Obi-wan character, here.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I'm talking about what their appearance is meant to evoke, and Obi-Wan in ANH is definitely going for the look of "old wise mentor". Yes, later developments in his character obviously made that image more complicated, but I don't think it negates the idea that "bearded old man" is a look used to give a certain idea of what a character might be like.

Also, apparently y'all have a lot more cynical view of Obi-Wan's motives in the OT than I do.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Heroes in Star Wars get sudden forebodings or visions of the future to motivate them. Luke and Anakin had visions. Obi-Wan (in Episode I) and Han Solo got forebodings. Yoda only sees the future when a worried hero prompts him to go looking.

If Ep. 8 Luke no longer has visions of the future, he may be lost to us as a hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Lord Hydronium posted:

I'm talking about what their appearance is meant to evoke, and Obi-Wan in ANH is definitely going for the look of "old wise mentor".

Absolutely, but in this case what that appearance is meant to evoke is contradicted by the circumstances.

It's an interesting narrative choice, and I don't mean that facetiously.

• Locked thread