Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

African AIDS cum posted:

Whats with the huge delay when holding a link to bring up the open in new tab option now in ios 11? Anyone else have this?
Yes, the slow “right click” thing is really annoying. I'd guess the delay is there because of their new drag and drop crap.

If it helps, when you mess around with it you’ll probably find you don’t have to hold down until the pop up appears. Most times. It seems inconsistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Thwomp posted:

You could also try Settings->General->Accessibility->Reduce Motion to On which removes the animations.

Danke.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
[quote="“Generic Monk”" post="“477017888”"]
The animation speed was tweaked by design in 11 so it’s more flowery across the board. I don’t mind it too much but it’s introduced the odd bit of lag even on this more or less brand new 10.5, mostly in the 5 finger home gesture. Maybe it’ll get ironed out in an update.
[/quote]

Yeah, this is what I'm seeing. It's switching between apps that is the most noticeable. Well, early iOS updates so it tends to be standard to be a little buggy or slower.

[quote="“Thwomp”" post="“477018061”"]
You could also try Settings->General->Accessibility->Reduce Motion to On which removes the animations.
[/quote]

But but then I can't do the iMessage graphic things!

Yeah I'll probably toggle this for at least a bit.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yes, the slow “right click” thing is really annoying. I'd guess the delay is there because of their new drag and drop crap.

If it helps, when you mess around with it you’ll probably find you don’t have to hold down until the pop up appears. Most times. It seems inconsistent.
Yeah you just need to hold it until the drag and drop hover activates, if you let go right after that it'll pop up the menu.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

japtor posted:

Yeah you just need to hold it until the drag and drop hover activates, if you let go right after that it'll pop up the menu.

That does sorta work but its still slow and clunkier than before.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah it sucks. Especially when I (and I think it’s reasonable to assume most people) will probably use “open in new window”, “share”, and “copy” about 500x more than drag and drop.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
So am I crazy or did iOS 11 on iPads do away with being able to put widgets in a left column and right column?

This was definitely a feature on an iPad Pro 12.9 on iOS 10. I’m curious as to why it’s missing because now I have to scroll down to see stuff that was visible before.

Why is Apple such a silly company?

Also, I love how on the iPad Pro 12.9 you still swipe up to insert a secondary key (I.e., swipe up on the number 2 to insert the @ symbol), but on all other iPads you now swipe down to insert secondary keys. Super silly of Apple.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

bobfather posted:

So am I crazy or did iOS 11 on iPads do away with being able to put widgets in a left column and right column?

This was definitely a feature on an iPad Pro 12.9 on iOS 10. I’m curious as to why it’s missing because now I have to scroll down to see stuff that was visible before.

Also, I love how on the iPad Pro 12.9 you still swipe up to insert a secondary key (I.e., swipe up on the number 2 to insert the @ symbol), but on all other iPads you now swipe down to insert secondary keys. Super silly of Apple.

1. Yep. No good reason, perhaps they forgot the OS also goes onto iPads?
2. Jony Ive and Eddy Cue given free reign
3. This one isn't a question, but I've never used the on-screen keyboard on the 12.9 enough to notice that. But, not iPad related, I'm super pissed that the extended landscape keyboard is gone from iPhone+s

All in all, this update has been mostly bad UI changes to solve problems that already have better solutions (outside of control center). Jony sucks.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I don't have to swipe up to type @.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

bobfather posted:

presumably thought that having one column was slightly less confusing for users? or maybe trying to be consistent with the iphone? neither really holds much water

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Generic Monk posted:

presumably thought that having one column was slightly less confusing for users? or maybe trying to be consistent with the iphone? neither really holds much water

It's just crazy that iOS 11, which is arguably an iPad-centric upgrade could make the following things so, so dumb for iPad users.

1. Safari bookmarks bar is now centered. gently caress you if you have an iPad Pro 12.9 and have fingers shorter than an NBA player!

2. Five finger spread gesture to go from app -> home? gently caress you, this gesture now works less than 100%, where 100% was how it worked starting with like the iPad 2.

3. Aforementioned widgets - gently caress you if you liked having two columns.

4. Also on the widget page - gently caress you if you liked the weather being inline with the clock. Let's add the weather as an extra widget, which further compounds the whole issue of needing to scroll down to see your widgets!

5. iPad Pro 12.9 v1 can't do side-by-side split multi + an extra slide-over app, but I've read the 12.9 v2 can. The reason I care about this: split viewing documentation in Safari side-by-side an SSH term, and needing to access 1Password to grab an SSH password. Not possible with the iPad Pro 12.9 v1, but is possible with the v2. No physical reason the v1 can't do it, either. This is the kind of horseshit that will end up with me jailbreaking iOS 11 if that ever comes, because Apple just wants to pad its coffers by implementing artificial limitations.

With that said, the drag and drop will be good given more integration into apps. Also the same for Files. I already like the ability to mark up screenshots and emails. I also LOVE slide-over multitasking for running stuff like 1Password. Super, super handy and 100% better than split-view in iOS 10.

What are the odds we think that if I bring problems 1-5 to Apple through bug reports that they give a flying gently caress about any of it?

bobfather fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 4, 2017

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

bobfather posted:

What are the odds we think that if I bring problems 1-5 to Apple through bug reports that they give a flying gently caress about any of it?

0. Who cares, it'll all be completely different in a year anyways. Change all the time is good.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
If I'd known how Apple was going to gently caress with the keyboard in iOS 11, I wouldn't have updated. I don't mind the flick keys. What I mind is that THEY CHANGED THE KEY LAYOUT. I use the hyphen and colon keys a lot and now they're far away from each other, which makes typing obnoxious.

Is there any way to switch back to the old layout?

...! fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 4, 2017

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
i have a gripe too

cancelling a snooze alarm while in horizontal requires you to swipe up from the notification

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Alarms on the phone are poo poo, too. Takes me a few seconds longer to set something now than it used to. I really didnt need seconds.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Lordy iOS 11 is rough. Gets a lot less rough if you enable reduce motion though.

I’m praying that Apple will fix this poo poo within a month or two.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
:eyepop: reduce motion makes the phone feel very fast

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

buglord posted:

:eyepop: reduce motion makes the phone feel very fast

Agreed, but man multitouch gestures on the iPad are just terrible compared to iOS 10. How did they break something they’ve had perfected since iOS 6, I don’t know.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Yeah I really preferred the old split screening on my 12.9 Pro. It feels way clunkier now.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Anybody's battery went to poo poo after 11?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Calaveron posted:

Anybody's battery went to poo poo after 11?

My ipad "the new ipad" or whatever they call it now was completely dead after sitting idle for 12 hours with a full charge, and then the battery charged incredibly slowly. Not sure what happened.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
The first day or two of a new OS release will burn through the battery faster than usual.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Know Such Peace posted:

The first day or two of a new OS release will burn through the battery faster than usual.

Its been more than few days now.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

And it keeps bugging me to set up a passcode. I don't want one because that would be needlessly aggravating on a tablet. Previous iOS versions would just accept my decision when I told them no. Not this version. :mad:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mine stopped asking after the first time I said no and removed the notification from Settings.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I didn't know the notification could be removed from settings. Tried it just now and it turns out removing it just involves telling it no a second time. Weird. Thanks!

While I was in settings, I noticed that there's now a built-in password manager. We'll see if it's any better or worse than 1Password.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

...! posted:

I didn't know the notification could be removed from settings. Tried it just now and it turns out removing it just involves telling it no a second time. Weird. Thanks!

While I was in settings, I noticed that there's now a built-in password manager. We'll see if it's any better or worse than 1Password.
It was there before, but crammed in another layer or two deep under Safari's settings.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So yeah before 11 with regular iPad usage from 100 charge I'd wake up the next day to having 60ish percent left. Now I'm lucky if it's over 20 percent so that sucks

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Why not just... charge it overnight? :confused:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Once again, if any of you are having battery issues, check to see if the youtube app is running. Normally I laugh at people who close apps but killing it really helped on both my phone and iPad. I don't think its fixed yet either.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
21 gun salute to the homies that didn't get protube loaded in on their devices in time

rio
Mar 20, 2008

[quote="“Depths”" post="“477125691”"]
21 gun salute to the homies that didn’t get protube loaded in on their devices in time
[/quote]

I still have it on my ipad but not on my phone after upgrading to the 8+. I thought it would just transfer apps over but nope. :rip:

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
If it hasn't changed recently then that would usually be what happened for a removed app. However, it sounds like ProTube was pulled for legal reasons (an option when you update or remove an app from the store), in which case they obviously can't continue distributing it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

jawbroken posted:

If it hasn't changed recently then that would usually be what happened for a removed app. However, it sounds like ProTube was pulled for legal reasons (an option when you update or remove an app from the store), in which case they obviously can't continue distributing it.

The Protube developer pulled it willingly himself, if his blog is to be trusted.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
YouTube was pressuring everybody. Even one of Amazon's echo products can no longer connect to YouTube because of their crackdown. His options were to either remove functionality in an update or pull the app. Pulling the app was the best option for everyone.

If someone in this thread hypothetically had the ipa, could other people who previously bought the app sideload it from iTunes? I'm guessing it wouldn't be that easy, but I thought I'd ask.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Know Such Peace posted:

YouTube was pressuring everybody. Even one of Amazon's echo products can no longer connect to YouTube because of their crackdown. His options were to either remove functionality in an update or pull the app. Pulling the app was the best option for everyone.

If someone in this thread hypothetically had the ipa, could other people who previously bought the app sideload it from iTunes? I'm guessing it wouldn't be that easy, but I thought I'd ask.

No, because iTunes doesn’t manage applications anymore.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

What if you use an old version?

https://support.apple.com/downloads/itunes

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nothing prior to 12.7 supports iOS 11.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
It doesn't do it automatically, but I'm pretty sure you can still manually add ipa files to your iOS device.

I looked a bit more into it. If I understand correctly, you can sideload apps with either a iOS developer account ($99/year) or the semi-sketchy Cydia Impactor. With Cydia, I think you need to delete and re-sideload the app every seven days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Grassy Knowles posted:

No, because iTunes doesn’t manage applications anymore.

There are still ways to load apps via ipa files. Though I have no idea if they work for real apps, and they'd have to be reloaded every 7 days, so it's kind of a pain.