Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

hobbesmaster posted:

You mean "the residence"

What sort of low-rent trash would fly in anything as cramped as first class? How dreadful, even thinking about it... :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

PT6A posted:

What sort of low-rent trash would fly in anything as cramped as first class? How dreadful, even thinking about it... :monocle:

Just imagine how much bad sex the en-suite butler who staffs that thing has had to listen to.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It's just too bad there can't be a forward window.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The front fell off and here’s where it landed:

Six more photographs: https://imgur.com/a/JtG8A

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

(helicopter for scale)

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Finger Prince posted:

(helicopter for scale)

That's a biiiiiiiiiiiiig engine!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

(should not be engine parts)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
IMO, proof that the A380 both looks bad and is bad.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The Dreamlifter is truly the "Megamind" of airplanes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ATC7OhXxSM

Also, what the gently caress were the Italians thinking, putting an airport there?

"Okay, Giuseppe...we're gonna build the airport in a valley, putting the runway perpendicular instead of lengthwise, and then on top of the ridgeline we're gonna put a bunch of radio and microwave towers - then on the other side, a bunch of high tension wires that pilots are going to have to really get on the throttle to clear safely. But hey, it's not like we're ever gonna have to land and launch super-heavy cargo delivery aircraft, right?"

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Dreamlifter is truly the "Megamind" of airplanes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ATC7OhXxSM

Also, what the gently caress were the Italians thinking, putting an airport there?

"Okay, Giuseppe...we're gonna build the airport in a valley, putting the runway perpendicular instead of lengthwise, and then on top of the ridgeline we're gonna put a bunch of radio and microwave towers - then on the other side, a bunch of high tension wires that pilots are going to have to really get on the throttle to clear safely. But hey, it's not like we're ever gonna have to land and launch super-heavy cargo delivery aircraft, right?"

What does that make the Superguppy?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Ardeem posted:

What does that make the Superguppy?

Plucky. :3:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

um excuse me posted:

Wait was the gear on that A380 crabbing or what that just illusion?

Everyone missed this but the gear can rotate to face the runway centreline, so you don't drag the tyres sideways and try to fire the plane diagonally off the tarmac when the pilot backs it in like that.

Not sure how many other airlines have it, but I know I've seen B-52s doing the same.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

jammyozzy posted:

Everyone missed this but the gear can rotate to face the runway centreline, so you don't drag the tyres sideways and try to fire the plane diagonally off the tarmac when the pilot backs it in like that.

Not sure how many other airlines have it, but I know I've seen B-52s doing the same.

What's the system/interface that handles that? Is it automated or some sort of setting or control?

Maybe airliner pilots could chime in, but although it's great that the A380 stayed on pavement, that touchdown looked botched. Maybe it was an unexpected gust, but that's the exact same kind of uncontrolled bouncing you get when you don't set a plane down right in a crosswind.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 7, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Platystemon posted:

Remake of The Thing from Another World looking good.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

jammyozzy posted:

Only the rear axles on the two center bogies can steer, similar to a 777, and only on the ground for tighter turns during taxi. Interestingly, the steerable axles do not have braked wheels. A380 only has 16 brakes, with 20 main wheels.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

What's the system/interface that handles that? Is it automated or some sort of setting or control?

On the B-52 its just a big knob that hydraulically rotates the gear, doesn't even need electrical power if you have enough pressure in the lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCUHQ_-l6Qg

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
On updated B-52s, it tied to the front camera as well, so you can steer into your line of sight. Put the camera on runway center line, and the gear will align with the camera's center point based on how the airframe is currently oriented.

It can also be set by cross wind readings.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 7, 2017

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Platystemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m5qxZm_JqM
First thing that popped into my head.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

The Ferret King posted:

Maybe airliner pilots could chime in, but although it's great that the A380 stayed on pavement, that touchdown looked botched. Maybe it was an unexpected gust, but that's the exact same kind of uncontrolled bouncing you get when you don't set a plane down right in a crosswind.

It looks fine to me? I've seen far worse in any case.

Something else that should be mentioned is that even if an airliner doesn't have the ability to steer individual axles or even entire bogies (like the inboard main wheels of in a 747), they typically have the ability to caster naturally in order to reduce stress on the landing gear legs and reduce tire scrub in situations exactly like this.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

The Ferret King posted:

The guy who filmed it, Martin Bogdan, has been quoted mentioning a gust after touchdown. (About halfway through the article.)

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

MrYenko posted:

Only the rear axles on the two center bogies can steer, similar to a 777, and only on the ground for tighter turns during taxi. Interestingly, the steerable axles do not have braked wheels. A380 only has 16 brakes, with 20 main wheels.

Ah for real? Googling it you're right, I would have sworn I read it had steerable gear for crosswind landings.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Interesting read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Be_Good_(aircraft)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

jammyozzy posted:

C-5s can do it too, if I remember correctly.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

MrChips posted:

It looks fine to me?

Does it?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Yes?

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

That's what you call "getting behind the plane"

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
So a new route started this week, Santiago to Melbourne by Latam airlines using a 787-9. It'd be a pretty scenic I imagine, taking off you fly along the Andes all the way to the tip of Argentina then while in flight you get within 180-250km of Antarctica which at an altitude of 10.6km/35,000feet you should have a horizon of 370km/230miles which would give you a decent view of the mainland and possibly ice shelves/icebergs if the conditions were clear. Then coming in to land you fly right over the middle of Tasmania and Bass Strait before landing in Melbourne.

Sit on the left side of the plane and bring your DSLR with telephoto lens in your carry on luggage and enjoy the trip.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/la805/#f1bea8a

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Xenoborg posted:

On the B-52 its just a big knob that hydraulically rotates the gear

That’s not a very nice thing to call the navigator!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

drunkill posted:

So a new route started this week, Santiago to Melbourne by Latam airlines using a 787-9. It'd be a pretty scenic I imagine, taking off you fly along the Andes all the way to the tip of Argentina then while in flight you get within 180-250km of Antarctica which at an altitude of 10.6km/35,000feet you should have a horizon of 370km/230miles which would give you a decent view of the mainland and possibly ice shelves/icebergs if the conditions were clear. Then coming in to land you fly right over the middle of Tasmania and Bass Strait before landing in Melbourne.

Sit on the left side of the plane and bring your DSLR with telephoto lens in your carry on luggage and enjoy the trip.

That's a pretty cool route! Hopefully they keep the windows undimmed for enough of the flight.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

drunkill posted:

man those companies could save so much money and fuel if they just worried about getting you to your destination instead of going a billion miles south and then back up

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Inacio posted:

man those companies could save so much money and fuel if they just worried about getting you to your destination instead of going a billion miles south and then back up

This joke is never going to get off the ground in an aviation thread.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Finger Prince posted:

That's a pretty cool route! Hopefully they keep the windows undimmed for enough of the flight.

Yeah no joke the communist windows (no choice for you!) were part of why I hated flying on a 787.

The other part is that the airlines flying it round here have seating that gets its frame bolted to the floor right in the way of where you naturally put your feet and I have rather large clown feet so it's a big issue.

I'd pretty much rather fly on any other comprable plane (777, 747, 330, 340) than a 787

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Good read: http://www.historicracer.com/aviation/accidental-fighter-pilot/

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Finger Prince posted:

poo poo joke but it's something someone I know has unironically told me. They got a flat earth / no vaccines diploma on Facebook. We don't talk much anymore.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Finger Prince posted:

Is this a projection of your insecurities?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

vessbot posted:

Is this a projection of your insecurities?

This is going to end up with some great circle jerk.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

:golfclap:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Ola posted:

Hah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Ola posted:

Only if you can't trace the arc of the conversation.