Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

It's the 31st page of this, the October thread, and there's no Halloween related posts. I'm disappointed in you all.

EDIT: Goddammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Happy 32nd of October everybody! Man I just caaaaan't wait for halloween next year! :)

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
cursed snipe

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

It's the 31st page of this, the October thread, and there's no Halloween related posts. I'm disappointed in you all.

EDIT: Goddammit
the posting is coming from inside the thread :spooky:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

October 32nd would indeed be v. spooky!

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
October 32st
October 32rd

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

tbh if October just wants to steal a month or two I'm okay with that

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Splatoon 2 will have a spooky Splatfest this Friday the 13th. I hope other games get in on the action.

Doesn't Destiny do some holiday poo poo even though it's in a psychedelic alien-robotic future

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
im glad for beast hector

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guys that Battlefront 2 beta looks really good. Like really good

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Taintrunner posted:

Thanks for reminding me to play it! I actually got into the earlier closed alpha and didn't notice the invite email and missed it :doh: and would have done the same thing again

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Silent Hill 2 is a hell of a game. And i wonder how much professional cross over occurred between the Silent Hill team and the Metal Gear team since MGS3 kinda cops that SH2 finale wholesale, mechanically.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Or, probably scarier, I wonder if Kojima played SH2 after release and was like oh man what a good idea.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They should put Burnout 3 out on PS4 or also EA STOP HOLDING CRITERION HOSTAGE TO MAKE lovely STAR WARS GAMES YOU FUCKHEADS. https://clips.twitch.tv/MoistCreativeNewtArgieB8

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

In Training posted:

Or, probably scarier, I wonder if Kojima played SH2 after release and was like oh man what a good idea.

There are references to Silent Hill 2 in MGS3 so this is more likely than you'd think.

edit: Oh it's actually a Silent Hill 3 reference. Either way, Kojima was at least aware of the series before PT

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Splatoon 2 will have a spooky Splatfest this Friday the 13th. I hope other games get in on the action.

Doesn't Destiny do some holiday poo poo even though it's in a psychedelic alien-robotic future

Yeah but only around Halloween, they won’t be hyping it this early.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

In Training posted:

Right but it's also F2P so I'm just wondering what giving them money does. Do you get hella sick Loot boxes
The F2P version is currently limited to folks who got beta keys before it went Early Access. And, uh, I guess this bundle? F2P people also currently have to use Bethesda's launcher app, which is so terrible that I know a few people who paid $30 for the Steam version just to not have to use it anymore.

The paid version on Steam also gives you every character past and future, which is nice. Seems strange that the Humble Bundle version would be half-assed in such a oddly specific way...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I might actually finish a game this weekend. Maybe even two.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I might actually finish a game this weekend. Maybe even two.

Same here. Splatoon 2 and Silent Hill 2.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Battlefield Hardline is not a good game

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Been playing Dark Souls 1 to see what the fuss is about, and while the combat's great, all this faffing about with level geometry (e.g. Anor Londo, the Catacombs etc.) are seriously starting to get tedious- does this change in the later games?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CommissarMega posted:

Been playing Dark Souls 1 to see what the fuss is about, and while the combat's great, all this faffing about with level geometry (e.g. Anor Londo, the Catacombs etc.) are seriously starting to get tedious- does this change in the later games?

Well, the "platforming" gets slightly better in the later games but there are always some areas in each game where navigating the level is intentionally difficult. Dark souls 2 probably has more instances of this than either of the other two games. I'd argue that some of these areas are very well designed though and create interesting challenges. Brume Tower in DS2 is my favorite level in the series because its set up almost entirely vertically. Unlike most tower areas though, you are traveling down rather than up. The level is constructed in a way where you constantly have to navigate perilous terrain in order to carefully move down the tower.

So I guess the answer is no, they don't stop doing stuff with level design you might find annoying. Its worth noting though that some of the more obnoxious parts of DS1 like the invisible platforms don't come back. Also I'd say the Anor Londo archers are the trickiest bit of level navigation in the entire series.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Anor Londo archers are probably my favorite brick wall in the series. Like yeah its frustrating and feels like bullshit the first time through, but drat has it never felt as good to light a bonfire as it did after you've gotten across that ledge.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I didn't have too much trouble with the archers when I beat DS1 for the first time earlier this year but that's probably because I've been hearing the legends of them for years beforehand.
I also beat O&S first time :smug:

A lot of DS1 isn't really that hard when it's the fifth game in the series you play...

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The sequels definitely cut down on the finicky platforming and precision jumping at least, fortunately.

The Great Hollow :argh:

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Dark Souls is the Dark Souls of platformers

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T8nb45F-v8

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, I was in kind of a bad place when I made that post, having just attempted the Catacombs for the zillionth time, and without my glasses to boot (since I am a dumb who can't remember where he put the drat things) :saddowns: I don't really mind ledges and narrow passages etc, it's just that in some places in DS1 it seems to go on for entirely too long for my tastes.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

So, after a reinstall, it turns out that my DS2 save is indeed hosed beyond repair.

I can fight the boss if I get summoned by someone else but she doesn't appear if I summon or go in alone. Sucks, but I'll come back and start it again in a couple of months maybe.

In the meantime I've moved on to DS3 and my first observation is that the enemies seem a touch faster overall than the previous two games.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i'm both relieved and disappointed that none of the other bosses in mischief makers are nearly as ridiculous and loving hard as cerberus alpha

i remember the phoenix was pretty hard? at the very least it seemed impossible to not get hit for the gold diamond

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I remembering getting the no hit on Cerberus but never Pheonix. iirc Cerberus has a pretty consistent pattern and once you know it, he's not that bad. Phoenix just sucks though

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Taintrunner posted:

Oh poo poo, there's a beta out? Thanks for letting me know, I'll start downloading asap.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What's everyone doing today? Any fun plans?

I dunno what I'm gonna do.

KCB is gonna go to see the My Little Pony movie with her coworker Jesus.

I hope she has fun, I've no interest in seeing that movie whatsoever but I dunno if I wanna tag along and just window shop for a bit at the nearby stores.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

What's everyone doing today? Any fun plans?

I dunno what I'm gonna do.

KCB is gonna go to see the My Little Pony movie with her coworker Jesus.

I hope she has fun, I've no interest in seeing that movie whatsoever but I dunno if I wanna tag along and just window shop for a bit at the nearby stores.

I may start Killer7 tonight.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

I may start Killer7 tonight.

Cool. Have you ever played it before? Do you know much about it?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Cool. Have you ever played it before? Do you know much about it?

Nope and Nope, I just know its got a very specific style, and that I wanted to play it when it came out on GameCube but my mom wouldn't let me rent it because it was M. Screw you mom!

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

In Training posted:

Nope and Nope, I just know its got a very specific style, and that I wanted to play it when it came out on GameCube but my mom wouldn't let me rent it because it was M. Screw you mom!

Should have told her it had David Duchovney in it :colbert:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Today I am going to try to get through the Titanfall 2 campaign. I thought it would be generic bullshit but some of the setpieces they are coming up with are actually extremely fun and cool. There's a whole level that is a factory assembling houses for wargames or something and it becomes this very disorienting climb up a sideways neighborhood, and I am currently jumping back and forth between two different time periods in a research facility. In one era the facility is up and running and the other it is ruined and overrun by monster things and you have to jump between the two to progress. I am having a good time, here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I'm alternating between MGSV and Dragon's Dogma.

So far, MGSV is super fun and goofy and I hope I never get tired of attaching people and things to balloons. I haven't had this much fun messing around in a open world since Far Cry 2.

in DD:DA, I am starting fresh with the remaster on Xbox. Last time I played, I was in the Strider/Ranger/Assassin area and did a lot of damage climbing on beasts. This time around, I am trying the more tanky mystic knight approach and struggling a little to find the fun. It seems like the shield abilities are pretty passive and get in each others' way. While the Mace/Sword abilities by virtue of being limited to 3 at a time feel kind of thin. I wish I could move some of the more magical Mace'Sword abilities like Magick Canon to the shield skills so I could keep more of the movement skills available.

• Locked thread