Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Just pretend the games are all second-hand stories of Terror Billy Blaskowicz. He's a folk legend and tales of his adventures are unreliable at best, although a lot of the more awesome poo poo probably did happen because he's BJ loving Blaskowicz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

echronorian posted:

Not sure what I think of this game going all leftbook about Nazis. Kinda tacky.

lmao.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its hosed up, how in wolfenstein, you kill nazis. god drat social justice warriors

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Yeah, they kinda just reference each other in order to make nods to other entries in the series so that long time fans know the inspiration hasn't been forgotten. I'm pretty sure most of them don't relate to each other in any way by this point. They're more like vignettes of BJ killing people.

Cowcaster posted:

the entire fps genre (wolfenstein, call of duty, medal of honor) built it's foundation on the idea that shooting Nazis is fun and morally the equivalent of eating toast in the morning

That's true really. The shareware version of Wolf3D was one of the first video games I played so it was drilled into me from a pretty early age. Also we had videos like this on VHS that were interspersed among normal, much more innocent cartoons so I grew up knowing the importance of defeating the growing Fascist menace in Europe and also paying taxes.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

eonwe posted:

its hosed up, how in wolfenstein, you kill nazis. god drat social justice warriors

Taking that warrior part a little seriously there ain't ya blasko

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Psychotic Weasel posted:

They're more like vignettes of BJ killing people.

Yeah, I think the series really works because it has such a long history and now people just know that BJ Blaskowicz is the Number One Nazi Killer. Just like how people just know that the Doom Guy is the "Doomslayer" and all the demons fear him. The old games are just there as lore for the new games and to establish who these characters are.

The scenario in TNO and New Colossus is so powerful because you have the Worst Case Nazi Scenario vs. The World's Greatest Nazi Killer.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Welp. The marketing worked on me. I've been vaguely wanting to try the last Wolfenstein game but hadn't bothered.

But if real life Nazis hate it, I'm gonna love it.

Weekend plans: Drink beer. Shoot Nazis. :cool:

Trip report for The New Order: shooting Nazis remains cool and good and fun, as it has been since the thirties.

I opted for a rum drink rather than beer. Nothin' says relaxing like a Mai Tai, a beach (landing), and dead. loving. Nazis. everywhere. :cheers:

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 7, 2017

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Ironic support for Nazis makes you an unironic Nazi, hth.

Capn Beeb posted:

I'll just repost this

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Nothing is more satisfying in TNO than when you trip an alarm and reinforcements come pouring out of the woodwork to get merked

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Stealth is fantastic as it feels great doing it, and great when you gently caress up and go full akimbo Sturmgewehr. As Yahtzee said- "'Hey this guys a Nazi, would you like to drown him in his own piss?' the game might ask. Sorry, did you say something? I was too busy drowning a Nazi in his own piss."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFwWla09Nr0

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Is Wolfenstein 2009 worth tracking down?

I never got a chance to play it before all copies of it disappeared everywhere.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its pretty mediocre

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Deakul posted:

Is Wolfenstein 2009 worth tracking down?

I never got a chance to play it before all copies of it disappeared everywhere.

It's pretty good, but it's more into the trends at the time, so you've got some slower movement and regenerating health, but it's got some fun levels, powers, and weapons. I recommend it, but then again I love all the Wolfenstein games so honestly I'm not the most unbiased source.

The farm's pretty fun when you grab the axe at the beginning and make good use of the slow-mo.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, I think the series really works because it has such a long history and now people just know that BJ Blaskowicz is the Number One Nazi Killer. Just like how people just know that the Doom Guy is the "Doomslayer" and all the demons fear him. The old games are just there as lore for the new games and to establish who these characters are.

It also gives emphasis to why BJ is so. loving. tired. in The New Order.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Terror Billy sighs as he unsheathes his knife.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Lone Badger posted:

It also gives emphasis to why BJ is so. loving. tired. in The New Order.

Speaking of, should I give that a playthrough? Or has it aged poorly?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

FAUXTON posted:

New Order is amazing, play it

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

FAUXTON posted:

NWO? gently caress no, it's still a great game. Only complaint I have is traversing terrain feels a bit more clunky after playing DOOM which was smooth as gently caress. But you can still vault and parkour your way into

Terror Billy posted:

Shooting, stabbing, strangling Nazis!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Replayed TNO just a couple weeks ago, can confirm it still owns.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

it's really good. maybe wait until the next one comes out and it might go on sale. but I bought it full price and it was worth it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
First off, you're not getting Wolf 2009 on steam or any existing digital medium anytime soon. This is the game that made id a part of Zenimax and they're probably ashamed of that fact. If you don't already have it, ya gotta track down a physical copy. Secondly, its kind of a prototype of The New Order in that the upgrades and gameplay that you can toy with different Black Sun powers and finding gold to buy upgrades in 09, becomes kill challenges and perks in TNO. Its a half-baked step between Return to Castle Woflenstein and TNO, but its still a wolfenstein game and can give you a little taste of the magical bullshit days of nazi nonsense.

If you want to just look at it before you play it, there's always Your Evil Twin's LP. But its kind of going back in time to an older game.

Unless you're talking about The New Order in which case, uh, no, its a beautiful little monster of a game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Just started replaying TNO in anticipation, in fact. Hey, guess what, it's still good! Last time around, I actually replayed RTCW and Wolf'09 before it and TOB and each Wolfenstein game is great in its own way, even though I never got into 3D.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I'm up to the lunar base in TNO, I should really get back to that! I'm probably going to pick up wolf 2 immediately just on the strength of tno

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I wonder if they're going to try to make a crazy level to top the fuckin' moon or not. I don't see how you do better than Nazi moonbase.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Grand Fromage posted:

I wonder if they're going to try to make a crazy level to top the fuckin' moon or not. I don't see how you do better than Nazi moonbase.

I would be ok with just going back to the moon.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Nazi Americabase

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I guess Nazi Antarctica would be the other obvious choice?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Grand Fromage posted:

Make a Sonnengewehr level where BJ puts it on a collision course with Earth, and has to escape it before it crashes into the ground. The escape sequence is timed, and features the Earth above you just growing bigger and bigger whenever you get a chance to look outside, while pieces of the Sonnengewehr start to break up in the atmosphere.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nazis and underground Lizard overlords are about the only thing Wolfenstein hasn't done yet.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Nazi Mars base

Deimos lab

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Oh boy how did I not know of this thing before and why has it not been in Wolfenstein yet

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Nazi underground base inside the hollow earth, of course. :colbert:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

A giant setpiece pitched battle between African resistance fighters and the Nazis with BJ right in the middle of it would be cool as hell.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Nazi Europa Base. Clarke tried to warn us.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Grand Fromage posted:

Nazi Venus base!

As an aside, the Humble Monthly for next month includes Quake Champions access and gives you BJ as a champion, so if you were interested in Quake Champions but not $30 interested, here it is for $12. Just make sure to cancel before it charges again if you're not interested in random games every month.

As another aside, I've been doing nothing but playing Guild Wars 2 lately but I'm actually working on updating the OP with info and videos. Getting seriously excited! Less than a month to go!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I liked that they were all about Venus because it made me picture a ship full of Nazis literally loving melting to death when they try to land on Hell Planet.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

eonwe posted:

*piches nose* um actually given the current nature of our political climate (i am specifically talking about america) perhaps something like video game shouldn't encourage this kind of violence and instead begin to understand the deeper issues going on.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

a.lo posted:

*piches nose* um actually given the current nature of our political climate (i am specifically talking about america) perhaps something like video game shouldn't encourage this kind of violence and instead begin to understand the deeper issues going on.

oooh risking. going the fullmacintosh route. brave move.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Guys, maybe we should hear these Nazis out and see what they have to say. I mean there's two sides to this issue and we can't really pick one without all the information.

Grand Fromage posted:

How about... "That's no moon".

And yes I mean the Nazis have just gone ahead and blown up the goddamn moon and now the moon itself is a Nazi space station with a doomsday laser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Y'all seem to be forgetting that the nazis have a dinosaur cloning facility