Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Arcsquad12 posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, avasarala owns, but man she is a mean bastard when she wants to be.

Except, apparently, when she gives a pass to war criminals who were in on probably the greatest crime against humanity ever perpetrated. Then giving her blessing for that person to be the political leader of the belt.

Except then.

Edit

Spoiler added

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Literally hectohitlers.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

HERAK posted:

So has anyone else read Strange Dogs? It is a really interesting if short window on to what has been going on on the other side of the gate. I enjoyed it, though i was disappointed that it was so short. It read a lot like a prologue to a novel, i hope l we have some more from the family in the book.

I just finished it the other day. I really enjoyed this and it was great getting a story with a fresh perspective in this universe. I hope we come back to this colony, there are a lot of things I'm curious about there and honestly I want to see our heroine and her brother living with the dogs

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Arcsquad12 posted:

So the protomolecule is basically an alien bio weapon/terraformer/teleporter, I take it? Target an earth like planet, wipe out its population and then use its biomass plus radiation to build a giant fuckoff Stargate to their central hub?

Not entirely. Its presupposed on using primitive organic life to create the Gate without destroying the planets ability to sustain life is how I take it

I mean whats the point of colonizing a new system if you destroyed the planets capable of supporting life

well they could probably terraform really fast

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So I'm like over 4/5 the way done with book 3 and I no longer have any clue how they're gonna adapt this to TV

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Phi230 posted:

So I'm like over 4/5 the way done with book 3 and I no longer have any clue how they're gonna adapt this to TV

With a lot of liberties, if I had to guess.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Phi230 posted:

Not entirely. Its presupposed on using primitive organic life to create the Gate without destroying the planets ability to sustain life is how I take it

I mean whats the point of colonizing a new system if you destroyed the planets capable of supporting life

well they could probably terraform really fast

When the protomolocule beelined for earth everyone thought it was going to eat everything, but in retrospect it probably would have just consumed enough biomass to build the gate. The biological life hidden on Venus' surface is probably damaged and pissed off, but still alive.

Medlar
Mar 14, 2013

Bashar al-Asuh Dude
Show talk:

Did anybody just get the impression that the show goes completely off the rails in the last few episodes of season 2? Holden is laughably bad at the whole rear end in a top hat Captain Ahab trope and that subplot feels so jarring/forced it should be brought up on sexual assault charges. I don't like how they translated Naomi at all because her being a contrarian shrew through the show seems unjustified given the thin context we are provided. Alex and Amos are awesome and I feel like they make the Rocis crew watchable. Alex especially comes into his own and I love his actors over-the-top accent.

I feel like they're going to combine Michio Pa and Drummer to be the same character for the show. That's assuming they can coax a little more dynamic range out of Cara ANY ATTEMPT AT INTAFELENCE WILL LESULT IN CIVIL ACTION Gee. Honestly Im just rooting for her because she looks like an ex.

The cliffhanger season 2 ending left me slightly confused: Errinwright makes it sound like the Protomolecule was modified by humans to BECOME a weapon and started off as some benign thing. I'm not explaining it well here, but it sounds like they're attempting to get some more mileage out of the characters they have vice introducing too many new ones.

My hope is they just don't bother with Marco, or at least drastically change it so he's not some mustache-twirling generic Evil Guy.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Medlar posted:

Show talk:
I feel like they're going to combine Michio Pa and Drummer to be the same character for the show. That's assuming they can coax a little more dynamic range out of Cara ANY ATTEMPT AT INTAFELENCE WILL LESULT IN CIVIL ACTION Gee. Honestly Im just rooting for her because she looks like an ex.

:yikes:

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

Medlar posted:

The cliffhanger season 2 ending left me slightly confused: Errinwright makes it sound like the Protomolecule was modified by humans to BECOME a weapon and started off as some benign thing.

Yes and no; the PM basically has one purpose and Protogen played around with it.

What happened on Eros wasn't exactly benign but it wasn't creating super-soldiers or an alien invasion force.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

48 Hour Boner posted:

Yes and no; the PM basically has one purpose and Protogen played around with it.

What happened on Eros wasn't exactly benign but it wasn't creating super-soldiers or an alien invasion force.

In the books, you are correct. In the show, however, which I think is what he's commenting on there was sort of the implication that us humans turned the protomolocule bad.

Don't know how you'd explain the gate construction later though.

Medlar
Mar 14, 2013

Bashar al-Asuh Dude

ZombieLenin posted:

In the books, you are correct. In the show, however, which I think is what he's commenting on there was sort of the implication that us humans turned the protomolocule bad.

Don't know how you'd explain the gate construction later though.

That's correct; I imagine the show has to cut corners and combine plot lines to ratchet the action.

Also after watching The Tick (fantastic show) I can't look at the actor for Jules Pierre-Mao the same way.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I watched Star Trek Discovery last week and three guest stars from The Expanse were all stuck on a prisoner shuttle. At least none of them died horribly like they all did on The expanse.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I started watching the TV show finally, and it's been a fun game of "did they change this from the book, or did I just forget what happened in the book?" I got excited when Miller made it off Eros and thought maybe he was going to survive the TV show, but apparently I just forgot that they made two trips to Eros in the book, too. RIP Miller

Also looking up some info on some of the characters, I found this description of Drummer from the books:

quote:

She is a thin-faced woman with a crisp, but unplaceable accent.

Gotta say, the actress nailed it. Honestly they did a great job with most of the casting--Holden is a little gruffer than I pictured him in my head, but I'm coming around to him.

I will say that the actors all need to agree on one way to pronounce "rocinante" though

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nah, I like that they keep arguing over it. I got a chuckle out of Elias Toufexis being a grammar nazi on the correct pronunciation of Anubis, and then Amos just gives him a look and he shuts up.

Holden is a bit underwhelming for me, mostly because the guy playing him reminds me of Jay Baruchel too much if Baruchel tried to sound hardcore.

The guy playing Alex is the best, though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nah, I like that they keep arguing over it. I got a chuckle out of Elias Toufexis being a grammar nazi on the correct pronunciation of Anubis, and then Amos just gives him a look and he shuts up.

Holden is a bit underwhelming for me, mostly because the guy playing him reminds me of Jay Baruchel too much if Baruchel tried to sound hardcore.

Holden was never my favorite character of the book either so I'm ok with being underwhelmed by him. The rest of the roci's crew is perfect though, Amos especially. Perfectly captures the "looks like a giant baby, but threatening" aesthetic

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The guy who plays Holden is OK when he's not doing lovely Batman voice when he's supposed to be super serious.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

Arcsquad12 posted:

Holden is a bit underwhelming for me

Holden being underwhelming is the most accurate transfer from the books, for me.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Sarern posted:

Holden being underwhelming is the most accurate transfer from the books, for me.

Holden's lameness is canon in the books, everyone treats him as a well-intentioned retard who causes disaster that they nevertheless have to deal with or think they can use as a pawn because surely no one can screw up that consistently.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Syzygy Stardust posted:

Holden's lameness is canon in the books, everyone treats him as a well-intentioned retard who causes disaster that they nevertheless have to deal with or think they can use as a pawn because surely no one can screw up that consistently.

My mental image was of a more hayseed "aw shucks" type, whereas his actor in the show is more of a Jon Snow type, but given the above description, maybe a Jon Snow type is pretty spot on after all.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland

Syzygy Stardust posted:

I agree, he ends up being some sort of self conflicting, sombre, clumsy accidental hero.

Amos is why I read!

BraveJoe
Feb 18, 2010

Captain Fargle posted:

Marco is such an absolute oval office I'd be happy with the entirety of Belter civilization and identity being destroyed just to spite him.

total agreement - my most hated character

Amos is why I read!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The population of The Belt is two-thirds of one percent the number of people Marcos killed.

Banish them to beyond the gates. Private spaceflight in the Sol system is an unacceptable risk.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Marco is an unfortunately realistic villain and his downfall being 'everyone realizes he's full of poo poo and abandons him as he clings to increasingly unreal delusions of victory' was perfect. Didn't make him much fun to read about, but I definitely buy him as an apocalyptic smokescreen for Duarte.

Interested to find out exactly what they wanted to strap to the Martian warship that got eaten at the end of Nemesis Games

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

General Battuta posted:

Marco is an unfortunately realistic villain and his downfall being 'everyone realizes he's full of poo poo and abandons him as he clings to increasingly unreal delusions of victory' was perfect. Didn't make him much fun to read about, but I definitely buy him as an apocalyptic smokescreen for Duarte.

Interested to find out exactly what they wanted to strap to the Martian warship that got eaten at the end of Nemesis Games

I don't know, Marco seemed pretty one dimensional. I mean a "realistic" villain is someone like Hitler as portrayed in The Downfall. Part of the reason that movie was critiqued so heavily is that it turned Hitler into a more human evil bastard by making the audience feel like he was a sad delusional old man.

Marco just seems like a sociopath who does sociopath things because, gently caress it, that's what sadistic sociopaths do.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Well, yeah. Remember what the opening shots of his 'revolution' were?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

The point is he has the charisma to keep everyone in line even once things going south, and a smaller and smaller inner circle of people keep doubling down on his delusions. That's at least a plausible kind of character.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm on book 4 now and Holden has grown on me. Even though everyone around him is more interesting

I hope so much that they translate book 3 as faithfully as possible. It was fantastic and the whole time I was imagining how they'd do it on screen

BraveJoe
Feb 18, 2010

Phi230 posted:

I'm on book 4 now and Holden has grown on me. Even though everyone around him is more interesting

I hope so much that they translate book 3 as faithfully as possible. It was fantastic and the whole time I was imagining how they'd do it on screen

Amos. Amos. Amos.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

BraveJoe posted:

Amos. Amos. Amos.

It was right that the authors named no other main character Andy.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
I am still running through book 2 of the series, but I just wanted to pop in and ask a quick question regarding the TV series.

I watched the first two episodes and they ranged from sort of interesting to pretty bad. I didn't really dig the changes to the crew dynamics at all, and felt like a lot of the drama was manufactured and corny.

Like, Holden/Amos/Alex/Naomi are not super confrontational and Holden is kind of looked up to as the boss from the start in the book, whereas in the series Amos has already threatened to kill Holden twice and Naomi is more like the boss. When the Donnager helps Holden and crew in the book they are treated civilly and not really threatened at all in the book, whereas in the series they cut through a bulkhead and have a bunch of armed marines pointing laser sights at them and threatening to shoot them. I could go on.

Have I just hit a bad start? Does the series pick up in quality/get a little closer to the book later on? Or should I just bail out and stick to the books?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah, the screenwriters thought they needed to inject interpersonal drama.

It gets better.

Watch through episode four, at least, for the :pcgaming: space battle :pcgaming:.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Platystemon posted:

Yeah, the screenwriters thought they needed to inject interpersonal drama.

It gets better.

Watch through episode four, at least, for the :pcgaming: space battle :pcgaming:.

Thanks, I'll keep going at least that far.

I thought the whole lead up in Leviathan Wakes was fine and would have made for decent TV, but I guess I could see how one might want to spice it up a bit. What they did though was kind of a swing and a miss imo.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

They kind of made non-Holden characters actual people. I agree it was nice how chummy they were from the start in the book, but in the show they all have their own perspectives and they don't perfectly line up at first. Watching them come together and become a family is pretty nice.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of the drama is still contrived and obnoxious, but you can enjoy the show more if you keep an open mind about why they're doing it at least.

But for instance Amos being attached to Naomi casually threatening to kill Holden is actually a good way to introduce how creepy his character is. Eventually he'll be threatening to mess up other people on Holden's behalf, but starting out on the receiving end of it gives it some satisfying perspective later on.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 2, 2017

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I guess I’m one of the few that thinks the show is much better than the books. That being said when is the next one out?

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

gohmak posted:

I guess I’m one of the few that thinks the show is much better than the books. That being said when is the next one out?
Persepolis Rising is slated to release on December 5th, aka in just under a month :toot:

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
..and will be finished on December the 5th... then the loooong cycle of waiting begins again. Thank gently caress GRRM isn't writing it.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I just looked it up, and Leviathan Wakes came out a month before the latest ASoIaF. This entire series so far fits into the gap between GRRM's books.

They've said they're doing 9 total, right? It's a stretch, but I can imagine The Winds of Winter taking until 2020.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
He’s never publishing The Winds of Winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

bitprophet posted:

Persepolis Rising is slated to release on December 5th, aka in just under a month :toot:

Oh goody. I was worried I wouldn’t have a new read after Oathbringer.