Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

I started hardcoring the AT line but good god the tier 6 is barely playable and I don't even want to imagine how terrible the grinds from tier 7 up will be. I know the Tortoise can be funny in the right situation but I've clowned on so many of them over so many more games I know how bad it will be trying to get enough xp for it.

I haven't had a too bad time with the line so far, at tier 8 but I just play it by hitting r 3 times and then shooting enemies as I slowly get closer to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I didn't mind the tier 6 until I had a string of days where it was just endless tier 7 and 8 games. The armour can work at tier 6 and sometimes tier 7 if they're far enough away but tier 8 guns just turn you to swiss cheese.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

If you're stuck at Tier VI, play Skirmishes. I'll alert my usual crew if you're up for such crud; if they are willing then simply be ready for Drunk Idiot Commander (me).

NOTE: EU Only.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

serious gaylord posted:

I started hardcoring the AT line but good god the tier 6 is barely playable and I don't even want to imagine how terrible the grinds from tier 7 up will be. I know the Tortoise can be funny in the right situation but I've clowned on so many of them over so many more games I know how bad it will be trying to get enough xp for it.

I had a good time in the AT8 because:
1) Trained the crew in the AT15A
2) Got mid/top-tier every game

17pdr is great under the above circumstances, but the AT7 is just a massive loving envelope of AIDS. AT2 is god. Ignore all after. Please.

Edit:
Oh loving Christ I double-posted gently caress this game for letting me get so involved in 'helping' other players AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

space pope posted:

He's not bad he just prefers to play low tiers like the I go type 89.

http://www.noobmeter.com/player/na/Fifty4r/1004891235/

Yeah, no. Don't do it. He's not bad, but he has no experience above tier 7, and <70 battles at tier 7. All but 1 tank above tier 5 has <50% winrate. Do not buy premium tanks for players not ready for those tiers. If he prefers low tiers, that's probably for a reason.

Nitramster posted:

Well I'm going to mash my face against the Tiger 2 and E75 to try and get the E100 since it's on track. I could use some carry help because this tank loving sucks now. Everything pens it these days. please add me in game same name.

I too found the KT to be disappointingly mediocre. There's basically no reason to keep it after completion, because it's largely just a worse Lowe, and the latter finally got some much-needed buffs. They really need to consider doing the same type of buffs to the KT. I think the E75 is still as good as it's always been, though; I just haven't started mine yet.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Nitramster posted:

Well I'm going to mash my face against the Tiger 2 and E75 to try and get the E100 since it's on track. I could use some carry help because this tank loving sucks now. Everything pens it these days. please add me in game same name.

Is the E100 on track on EU or is this NA?

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip
It's on NA.
I started the Tiger II today also. Stock everything because I need my free xp for the T-54. 6 games so far, 200% xp boosters. second gun researched but it looks like a trap upgrade.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

2Jets posted:

It's on NA.
I started the Tiger II today also. Stock everything because I need my free xp for the T-54. 6 games so far, 200% xp boosters. second gun researched but it looks like a trap upgrade.

Free xp the turret on the Tiger II or you will have a horrible time. 100 mm of flat frontal armour at tier 8 is stupid.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 7, 2017

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

2Jets posted:

It's on NA.

Seconding that you need the turret, and probably need the top gun before even thinking about playing the KT, which is mediocre enough as it is when elite. Both of the first two guns are similar enough, and that short 105 is actually the VK54A's "top" gun choice, but that tank is more mobile to make use of the lower pen.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

McGavin posted:

Free xp the turret on the Tiger II or you will have a horrible time. 100 mm of flat frontal armour at tier 8 is stupid.

Not only do you need the extra armor - the rare player who knows his poo poo will see your telling lack of HP and know he's got you dead to rights.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Not only do you need the extra armor - the rare player who knows his poo poo will see your telling lack of HP and know he's got you dead to rights.

Also you can easily tell just from the model. The top turret is very distinctive.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Atomizer posted:

Seconding that you need the turret, and probably need the top gun before even thinking about playing the KT, which is mediocre enough as it is when elite. Both of the first two guns are similar enough, and that short 105 is actually the VK54A's "top" gun choice, but that tank is more mobile to make use of the lower pen.

Yeah, the turret and the top guns are must haves.
Simply cause the gun is the only way to cause damage and the top turret is the only thing remotely armored.
The sides are weak and one needs to do side scraping with pretty extreme angles.
Also, everyone shoots your lower front plate anyways.
The KT have been hit hard by the power creep.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The worst thing about the KT, in regards to the Lowe, is the Lowe has a better power to weight ratio AS WELL. So in a brawl it can push you around as well as everything else it out classes you with. I am now the 'proud' owner of an E75. Now all I have to do is ace the KT :suicide:

Anyhoo.. today on meet the WoT muppet here's jamesdoz. I met this refreshing raconteur on Malinovka where they called me a pussy for running away:

http://wotreplays.eu/site/3867293#teams

Now to address his strawman about stats: - "poo poo stats" is apparently having broadly comperable stats while having played ~ 1/6th the matches. Someone isn't learning. Also nice stat burn for someone who doesn't care about stats. I guess expecting them to make any sense what-so-ever is misguided.

In other news T67 = Great -> Hellcat = Not quite rubbish -> T25/2 = ??? It has the same alpha as the hellcat? What makes this worth grinding for? Unless told otherwise the American TD line stops at the T67. The T28, T95 and the T1103E can not be worth the pain.

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip
The T-67 Is incredibly good. I think if you pen every shot and kill all 15 enemy's it's only a first class mastery because you need to have a few thousand spotting too.

I really don't want to spend a lot of free xp on the KT right now. I thought the gun would be more important. I mean what is 185mm of armor when you're being shot by guns with 300mm of pen?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I have mastery in the T67 :smug:

http://wotreplays.eu/site/3867454#stats

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I had a good time in the AT8 because:
1) Trained the crew in the AT15A
2) Got mid/top-tier every game

17pdr is great under the above circumstances, but the AT7 is just a massive loving envelope of AIDS. AT2 is god. Ignore all after. Please.

Edit:
Oh loving Christ I double-posted gently caress this game for letting me get so involved in 'helping' other players AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I loved the AT-2 I had such a good time just holding W and murdering stuff with an under 2 second reload time. The AT-8 I have great games in, and for the first 30k to the AT-7 I was top/middle in games where I could do stuff. Since then its been Bottom tier on games where I either get teams that win 15-4 or lose 15-4. Can't really do much on those.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

Atomizer posted:

Do not buy premium tanks for players not ready for those tiers

Absolutely seconding this- I bought a Löwe well before I even had a tier 7, I think even before I had any real experience at tier 6! It absolutely ruined me. I failed my way into having a sub 40% win rate in the stupid thing because I was not ready for it in any way at all. Please do not do that sort of crime to someone else.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Cartoon posted:

In other news T67 = Great -> Hellcat = Not quite rubbish -> T25/2 = ??? It has the same alpha as the hellcat? What makes this worth grinding for? Unless told otherwise the American TD line stops at the T67. The T28, T95 and the T1103E can not be worth the pain.

The reason you grind the T25/2 is because it's a drat solid medium tank at a tier when actual medium tanks can be sort of lackluster. Also post buff, the T28P is pretty good- it's a T34 that trades some turret performance (armor, rotation arc) for significantly better gun handling (except worse raw accuracy for some reason).

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

serious gaylord posted:

I loved the AT-2 I had such a good time just holding W and murdering stuff with an under 2 second reload time.

The AT-2 is great fun when you're NOT the bottom tier in a tier 7 match, which has been the case for me recently.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
dont be fooled by this tank its a loving smasher http://wotreplays.eu/site/3868337#westfield-turmoilx-amx_13_105 https://imgur.com/a/Ga4wR its amazing to have 3 great games in a row in a new tank all were 4700+ lul 4th one i wasnt as lucky with the team though

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 7, 2017

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Steelion posted:

The reason you grind the T25/2 is because it's a drat solid medium tank at a tier when actual medium tanks can be sort of lackluster. Also post buff, the T28P is pretty good- it's a T34 that trades some turret performance (armor, rotation arc) for significantly better gun handling (except worse raw accuracy for some reason).

If you're looking for a tank that plays like the T34, but is significantly better in every way except turret armour, you want the M4A1 Revalorise.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
no reason to buy french m4 when theres op stuff like skorp g and defender just gotta wait for em to be on sale :(

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

McGavin posted:

If you're looking for a tank that plays like the T34, but is significantly better in every way except turret armour, you want the M4A1 Revalorise.

Not in pen and module damage.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Cardiac posted:

Not in pen and module damage.

Honestly, you don't even notice the difference in pen because you hit exactly where you're aiming every time because the turret rotation, aim time, gun handling, and shell speed are so much better. Only 15 less module damage. :rolleyes:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Tfw you run out of ammo with 3 minutes of the game still left, get a Gores medal and kill 4 tanks in 4 consecutive shots but your team is so bad you draw. #justskycancerproblems

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Turmoilx posted:

no reason to buy french m4 when theres op stuff like skorp g and defender just gotta wait for em to be on sale :(

This. It seems whoever sports more of these at tier VIII wins. Also gently caress me Caernarvon is painful and tier VIII in general, 150 games and avg battle tier is 9.7. :smithicide:

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

So I just started playing this game again. I had played it a bit shortly after it came out but everything is basically new to me. Is there a good guide for crew skills? And how do I not die repeatedly and quickly in the T-60? My early goal is get a T-34 and some sort of Sherman.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Minenfeld! posted:

So I just started playing this game again. I had played it a bit shortly after it came out but everything is basically new to me. Is there a good guide for crew skills? And how do I not die repeatedly and quickly in the T-60? My early goal is get a T-34 and some sort of Sherman.

Use your team mates as extra armour and to spot things. Hang back in low tier games at the start and let the retards over extend first and casually murder them out of their view range. Theres much better players with much better guides on crew skills, but I generally go camo, reset to Brothers in arms and then do whatever helps that particular tank best.

Also the T-34 is garbage tier tank don't set your heart on it.

Also the Super Conq got a super buff in the 2nd super test.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

Minenfeld! posted:

pretty much sixth sense on commander and repairs on rest as first skill any tank then after that its preference i guess, snapshot and smooth ride should also be on after those then either camo or brothers in arms, 'orzanel' has a in depth guide about this

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Turmoilx posted:

pretty much sixth sense on commander and repairs on rest as first skill any tank then after that its preference i guess, snapshot and smooth ride should also be on after those then either camo or brothers in arms, 'orzanel' has a in depth guide about this

I'd say camo instead of repairs for light tanks and Swedish TDs, but this is otherwise good advice.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

subhelios posted:

Absolutely seconding this- I bought a Löwe well before I even had a tier 7, I think even before I had any real experience at tier 6! It absolutely ruined me. I failed my way into having a sub 40% win rate in the stupid thing because I was not ready for it in any way at all. Please do not do that sort of crime to someone else.

Oh yeah, check the stats on my Lowe, KV-5, and Type 59 (plus a few others, like the T34) if you want to see what "tier 8 premium tanks before you're ready" looks like (although to be fair I pretty much needed to get the Type 59 when it was available, just not start playing it yet.)

Minenfeld! posted:

What's your IGN? You should platoon with goons and get in the Discord server so we can help you out.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

serious gaylord posted:

Use your team mates as extra armour and to spot things. Hang back in low tier games at the start and let the retards over extend first and casually murder them out of their view range. Theres much better players with much better guides on crew skills, but I generally go camo, reset to Brothers in arms and then do whatever helps that particular tank best.

Also the T-34 is garbage tier tank don't set your heart on it.

Also the Super Conq got a super buff in the 2nd super test.

The wrongest opinion, good lord.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
I've had plenty of shutouts, but I can't remember the last time I had a Tier X shutout.

Stormed the forest and just rolled right around. Poor bastards never had a chance.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

RanKizama posted:

I've had plenty of shutouts, but I can't remember the last time I had a Tier X shutout.

Stormed the forest and just rolled right around. Poor bastards never had a chance.

Five players with zero damage on the enemy team in a 30 player tier ten match.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

McGavin posted:

Honestly, you don't even notice the difference in pen because you hit exactly where you're aiming every time because the turret rotation, aim time, gun handling, and shell speed are so much better. Only 15 less module damage. :rolleyes:

I meant the amount of module damage the tanks get. The engine on the Rev goes like every game. The T34 is better in that regard.
I like them both though and they are part of my credit grinding circle of tier 7-8s along with the CDC, type 62 and fv4202.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

i was feeling real bad after seeing some guy that started in 2015 have 2k dpg over 20k battles i was puzzled why he was better than me then i noticed he didnt grind any lines or modules so then i went to my service record thinking im gonna go fix my stats for my epen morale on bad stat tanks from when i was a noob playing on a bad laptop with graphics artifacting to be exact and i seen this and felt a lot better https://imgur.com/a/WQfGW i guess my rating is in the top 1k this game beats me up too much :smith: i already changed my mind after looking noticing that most of the harm comes from my thousands of arty games and e5 first line i went up and played the churchill line when i was new that was really bad i dont think i want to fix those stat lines yet..

TLDR new guy triggered me by using a lot of free exp.

PLUS this is the highlight of today's ranked battles ..drat red line screwing me over with yer magic https://youtu.be/Z-R6wXb5gLk

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 8, 2017

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

McGavin posted:

I'd say camo instead of repairs for light tanks and Swedish TDs, but this is otherwise good advice.

With re-usable repair kits now I think Camo is better on every tank that isn't a stupid big heavy generally.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The wrongest opinion, good lord.

The T-34 should be better but I found it aggravating due to the lovely gun handling. Wargaming "balances" low tiers by giving them god-loving-awful handling on tiny guns, and it's really frustrating. Think of how the tier 6-7 LTs have relatively small guns but decent handling, such as the 57 on the 59-16; if you look at the tanks with the same gun, such as the SU-76 (the ZiS-2 is better than the 76), the handling is atrocious at tier 3. The M4 at tier 5 also felt the same way to me, but tanks above tier 5 with 3" guns have much better handling. The tier 5 TDs are better in that regard, though.

Cardiac posted:

I meant the amount of module damage the tanks get. The engine on the Rev goes like every game. The T34 is better in that regard.
I like them both though and they are part of my credit grinding circle of tier 7-8s along with the CDC, type 62 and fv4202.

To be fair, that's probably because the Rev has no armor so every shot rips straight through from every direction into the engine. Also, I'm pretty sure the transmission is in the front, behind that curved lower section, so damage to that might also take out the engine.

serious gaylord posted:

With re-usable repair kits now I think Camo is better on every tank that isn't a stupid big heavy generally.

Camo has always been good on anything that benefits from it, but you're right that if you have to choose between Camo & Repairs before you get 3+ skills, Camo is probably more valuable due to reusable consumables.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Even with the reusable repair kits repairs is still valuable. You get simultaneously tracked and module damaged or tracked twice in a row far too frequently to go without repairs. Plus nearly everything has such ridiculous view range and 90% of the maps are city lane maps, so camo isn't really worth it outside of tanks with exceptionally high base camo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

McGavin posted:

Even with the reusable repair kits repairs is still valuable. You get simultaneously tracked and module damaged or tracked twice in a row far too frequently to go without repairs. Plus nearly everything has such ridiculous view range and 90% of the maps are city lane maps, so camo isn't really worth it outside of tanks with exceptionally high base camo.

At tier 9 and 10 yeah, most things will have 400+ view ranges. At 4-8 however, you still get plenty of tanks that even with binocs dont get up to 450m. I'm not saying repairs is garbage, its great. I just think its less useful than camo now we have reusable repair kits. I'd argue that camo is far more useful for mediums than repairs to start with.