Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Groovelord Neato posted:

[incredibly darth vader at the end of episode iii voice] NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Midig posted:

gently caress me.

I still don't know how you guys couldn't tell this dork that looks like the Ur College Republican was an idiot. It's like looking at a clown and assuming it wont try and consume your flesh at the first opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

so is this guy a psychotic ignorant backbiting piece of poo poo who hates people for no real reason and makes controversies out of nothing? because this is all I'm getting out of this video.
on his alt-channel he just openly talks about organizing the alt-right & "The JQ", lol.

he was flirting with lowtax for a while on twitter, though it seems like after charlottesville(?) that came to an end

also, didn't know he was a gamergater, but of course he was. jesus christ.

crime weed fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 7, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Kjoery posted:

also, didn't know he was a gamergater, but of course he was. jesus christ.

He was literally one of the people who kicked it off, he was "The Internet Aristocrat" at the time and was exactly as pathetic as that sounds.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Yardbomb posted:

He was literally one of the people who kicked it off, he was "The Internet Aristocrat" at the time and was exactly as pathetic as that sounds.

Here's a handy trick I use, is it a white guy? If yes, then do some research before subscribing.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Mr Interweb posted:

That Fantano guy put up a 20 minute response to that article that was posted the other day. Anyone seen it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UZqIIy7pAk

I've seen it. I discovered Needle Drop a couple years ago when I was searching YouTube for some hilarious take downs of that awful Miley Cyrus / Flaming Lips collaboration album they made together back in 2015 and I started getting hooked on his work not long after that. I gotta say, I've never been left with the impression that he was alt-right in the slightest. I understand that he's anti-war, that he finds white supremacy to be abhorrent, he thinks Donald Trump is a poo poo heel, etc...

The article from Fader, to me, feels like a cherry picked stink piece where they took a lot of his videos from his now shuttered thatistheplan alternate channel and framed the content in them to leave the reader with the impression that he's some sort of edge lord who thinks lynchings are funny. I urge the folks here to go and watch his response video because I think it's a smart retort to the nasty claims that were made against him in that wretched article. I normally side often with the folks that post in this forum, but I'm a little disheartened by a lot of the people in this thread who jumped on the "Fantano is Alt-Right" bandwagon because of this lovely article. I think you owe it to him to at least hear his response.

Also, I'm not entirely convinced Report of the Week is alt-right either. I'm fairly certain he's mentioned in one of his "My Average Day" videos that he's a fan of Barack Obama.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Who What Now posted:

I still don't know how you guys couldn't tell this dork that looks like the Ur College Republican was an idiot. It's like looking at a clown and assuming it wont try and consume your flesh at the first opportunity.

some people are apolitical you know.

Yardbomb posted:

on an episode of chapo they talked about sargon and when they mentioned the internet aristocrat i thought they were joking. alas...

Macrame_God posted:

I've seen it. I discovered Needle Drop a couple years ago when I was searching YouTube for some hilarious take downs of that awful Miley Cyrus / Flaming Lips collaboration album they made together back in 2015 and I started getting hooked on his work not long after that. I gotta say, I've never been left with the impression that he was alt-right in the slightest. I understand that he's anti-war, that he finds white supremacy to be abhorrent, he thinks Donald Trump is a poo poo heel, etc...

did uh you ignore his other channel? from his main channel you'd never in a million years think he'd be down with the alt right but if you see his other videos it's plain as day.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Glazier posted:

Here's a handy trick I use, is it a white guy? If yes, then do some research before subscribing.

Fortunately PrimitiveTechnology knows better than to ever speak on camera, so I hope we'll be free from any weird outbursts on at least one white guy's channel.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
When someone buddybuds with Alt-Right types, makes content for Alt-Right types, tells the usual targets of Alt-Right types to drink bleach, it begs to reason they may have Alt-Right sympathies.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Groovelord Neato posted:

People that look like him never are.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Groovelord Neato posted:

Being "apolitical" is being political, you're tacitly approving the status quo.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Groovelord Neato posted:

did uh you ignore his other channel? from his main channel you'd never in a million years think he'd be down with the alt right but if you see his other videos it's plain as day.

I've seen some of the videos from his alternate channel, namely some of the "meme reviews" which, to me, seemed more like him poking fun at meme culture rather than pandering to it. I don't think it's "plain as day" at all. I also don't think he's alt-right just because he's tried to have civil conversations with alt-right leaning people on his podcast. Bill Maher and Stephen Colbert have also tried to have civil discussions with hard right leaning folks on their platforms as well. No one thinks they're alt-right. Has anyone here other than me actually made an effort to watch his response video? I see a lot of people here prepared to burn him at the stake in this thread after the Fader hit piece (which had to be corrected a couple of times since it was first published because, get this, the author didn't do their research) but as soon as he posts a video defending himself everyone seems to clam up.

There are some very toxic alt-right personalities on YouTube and it's a problem that I think should be addressed but I am not in the least bit convinced that Fantano is one of them. It just seems to me that there are folks out there who want to stick him in the alt-right box just because he's not perfectly 100% on board with every single left-leaning sensibility out there. Watch the response and let the man defend himself already.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Macrame_God posted:

The article from Fader, to me, feels like a cherry picked stink piece where they took a lot of his videos from his now shuttered thatistheplan alternate channel and framed the content in them to leave the reader with the impression that he's some sort of edge lord who thinks lynchings are funny. I urge the folks here to go and watch his response video because I think it's a smart retort to the nasty claims that were made against him in that wretched article. I normally side often with the folks that post in this forum, but I'm a little disheartened by a lot of the people in this thread who jumped on the "Fantano is Alt-Right" bandwagon because of this lovely article. I think you owe it to him to at least hear his response.

Also, I'm not entirely convinced Report of the Week is alt-right either. I'm fairly certain he's mentioned in one of his "My Average Day" videos that he's a fan of Barack Obama.

I thought Fantano's response was a decent retort to most of the Fader article but note that Fantano associates the Alt-Right (Nazis) strictly with white supremacy and only answers claims he is a white supremacist despite steering clear from the other horrible views Alt-Right have - anti-feminism, homophobia, transphobia.

Fantano does pretty explicitly enjoy lampooning social justice activists and does not offer up any counter to it - only a counter to his alleged support of the Alt-Right whom he strictly associates with white supremacy and nothing else. That's smart since he can dispel the Fader piece while still, with a wink and a nod, maintain his Alt-Right fan base, such as it is.

I think at his core he's a fairly progressive guy - see his support for left causes like free healthcare, free college, etc. - but also see the criticism of a lot of the left that those progressive goals often leave oppressed minorities behind and end up primarily benefiting heterosexual whites because of the way our system is already designed. You can't address financial inequality without addressing social inequality since eventually we'll be right back where we started due to people being left behind. Social justice and economic justice go hand-in-hand or not at all. I have to assume Fantano is someone who think social justice costs us opportunities to advance the cause of economic justice.

Fantano is incredibly savvy and I don't think it's good to take his response at face value.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Goon Danton posted:

Fortunately PrimitiveTechnology knows better than to ever speak on camera, so I hope we'll be free from any weird outbursts on at least one white guy's channel.

At some point he'll be building a primitive something or other while wearing a MAGA hat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean given he's Australian I would assume the next logical step would be to burn down an aboriginal village or something instead of building his own.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Huzanko posted:

At some point he'll be building a primitive something or other while wearing a MAGA hat.

I don't think anything involving wearing clothes is very likely either.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

It's weird that a couple of you are going nuts over a picture of the Report of the Week kid from "know your meme" of all things. Tried finding that exchange which was obviously supposed to be from youtube, tried every mix and match of keywords and so on, most of the statement there, nothing came up. Tried finding the 4chins thread in the image on archives, nothing was there. The only peep I've ever even heard from them about politics was one time urging people to participate in their local elections.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 7, 2017

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Yardbomb posted:

It's weird that a couple of you are going nuts over a picture of the Report of the Week kid from "know your meme" of all things. Tried finding that exchange which was obviously supposed to be from youtube, tried every mix and match of keywords and so on, most of the statement there, nothing came up. Tried finding the 4chins thread in the image on archives, nothing was there. The only peep I've ever even heard from them about politics was one time urging people to participate in their local elections.

I am JUST going CRAZY over THE political AFFILIATIONS of A kid WHO reviews FAST food WHile WearIng a Suit that"S TOO big FoR hIM! God drat IT!

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Spoony is a sad case. His stuff had a good level of effort and humor, but as others said, the type that gets an outlet doing online stuff is not usually the same type that gels well with other people. I remember seeing some messages of his on Twitter about trying new medication and hoping it was helping, but apparently not. Shortly afterward he was screeching at someone merely for saying that honey doesn't ever go bad, because it would not survive the heat death of the universe. Depression PLUS anger management issues is a combo I'd not wish on anyone.

As for Metokur, I just saw him on a Sons on Kojima episode as he bragged about dunking on perennial wanker DarkSydePhil, and he seemed way too happy to bully losers and toot his own horn for being an internet warrior, so I'm not surprised he turned out to be a shithead. And even the SoK turned out to be a bunch of edgy, toxic assholes.

Are youtube celebs just broken people, or do 'real' celebs benefit from having less exposure and PR machines that deal with their poo poo in the backstage? A question for the ages.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Macrame_God posted:

I've seen some of the videos from his alternate channel, namely some of the "meme reviews" which, to me, seemed more like him poking fun at meme culture rather than pandering to it. I don't think it's "plain as day" at all. I also don't think he's alt-right just because he's tried to have civil conversations with alt-right leaning people on his podcast. Bill Maher and Stephen Colbert have also tried to have civil discussions with hard right leaning folks on their platforms as well. No one thinks they're alt-right. Has anyone here other than me actually made an effort to watch his response video? I see a lot of people here prepared to burn him at the stake in this thread after the Fader hit piece (which had to be corrected a couple of times since it was first published because, get this, the author didn't do their research) but as soon as he posts a video defending himself everyone seems to clam up.

There are some very toxic alt-right personalities on YouTube and it's a problem that I think should be addressed but I am not in the least bit convinced that Fantano is one of them. It just seems to me that there are folks out there who want to stick him in the alt-right box just because he's not perfectly 100% on board with every single left-leaning sensibility out there. Watch the response and let the man defend himself already.

if you poo poo on "sjws" and talk with people with sargon and sam hyde in a friendly manner i'm going to question your motives.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Sephyr posted:

And even the SoK turned out to be a bunch of edgy, toxic assholes.

Man, it's almost like groups that form to obsess about and stalk weirdos on the internet always turn out to be aggressively toxic assholes.

Like seriously, the first time someone told me all the Sons of Kojima poo poo my first gut response was "This is gonna turn out into that Chris-Chan poo poo again".

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Sephyr posted:

Are youtube celebs just broken people, or do 'real' celebs benefit from having less exposure and PR machines that deal with their poo poo in the backstage? A question for the ages.

I think it matters who you associate with. All the educational youtubers I watch seem well rounded and normal, they collaborate with one another. Similarly, I've noticed that video game youtubers seem a lot more stable if they have a workspace with other people rather than just streaming alone from home.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Anyone that gives a platform to Sam Hyde is a motherfucker and deserves whatever they get. Nazi sympathetizers love the artistic merit argument, which is second to freedom of speech. Fantano is really naive is he thinks anyone to the left of trump buys the artistic merit of Hyde. Fader definitely wrote a hit piece on Fantano but they were a closer to the truth than he wants to admit.

Spoony made an ultima series and I appreciated the hell out of it as someone too young or poor to play ultima in its time. But spoony comes of as a narcissist and yes, even narcissists experience depression when their supply is removed. The way he alienated his fans and purged his following from any criticism came off as typical megalomania. He deserves sympathy for his brain problems but that doesn't lessen the danger and toxicity of a narcissist.

These youtube guys don't understand that nazis are a legitimate threat to minorities, women, immigrants, gays, and trans. This isn't a political debate, there is no argument to win. People fear for their and their loved ones' survival.

temple fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 7, 2017

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Sephyr posted:

Youtube is a very personal medium, if there's anything remotely "problematic" about you, eventually it's going to come through (and be out there forever) if you're making hours and hours of content without much oversight. I'm sure your average actor or television personality or whatever is just as lovely as Fantano, it's just that their subconscious isn't on permanent record.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sephyr posted:

Spoony is a sad case. His stuff had a good level of effort and humor, but as others said, the type that gets an outlet doing online stuff is not usually the same type that gels well with other people. I remember seeing some messages of his on Twitter about trying new medication and hoping it was helping, but apparently not. Shortly afterward he was screeching at someone merely for saying that honey doesn't ever go bad, because it would not survive the heat death of the universe. Depression PLUS anger management issues is a combo I'd not wish on anyone.

As for Metokur, I just saw him on a Sons on Kojima episode as he bragged about dunking on perennial wanker DarkSydePhil, and he seemed way too happy to bully losers and toot his own horn for being an internet warrior, so I'm not surprised he turned out to be a shithead. And even the SoK turned out to be a bunch of edgy, toxic assholes.

yeah, metokur can be sorta funny sometimes, but he is a spiteful bully streak a mile wide. sons of kojima stuff is funny though the mgs3 compilations is great.

temple posted:

Spoony made an ultima series and I appreciated the hell out of it as someone too young or poor to play ultima in its time. But spoony comes of as a narcissist and yes, even narcissists experience depression when their supply is removed. The way he alienated his fans and purged his following from any criticism came off as typical megalomania. He deserves sympathy for his brain problems but that doesn't lessen the danger and toxicity of a narcissist.

These youtube guys don't understand that nazis are a legitimate threat to minorities, women, immigrants, gays, and trans. This isn't a political debate, there is no argument to win. People fear for their and their loved ones' survival.

idk if he always was a narcissist . i personally think he always had other mental issues(bipolar and depression/etc) that he was able to keep in check with medications. he got famous fast and it went to his head, he had a bad break up and tons of other poo poo happens and it "broke" him.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Is this an appropriate venue to discuss Sartre's Anti-Semite and Jew? It was being quoted around the Trump thread a lot in DnD so I went out and got a copy. This...might be the most uneven text I've ever read. Some parts are highly diagnostic of the precise internal mental world of people in the alt-right, but a lot of it is profoundly, horrifyingly ignorant. The philosopher who wrote the intro does a good job of emphasizing "sartre did no research before writing this text".

I tried to talk about it in the general philosophy thread and apparently that was enough to kill it.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Gonna be honest here, Sam Hyde is a new name to me. What's his deal?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Goon Danton posted:

"In 2017, Hyde reportedly pledged $5,000 towards Andrew Anglin's, the founder and editor of The Daily Stormer, legal defense fund. The Southern Poverty Law Center sued Anglin for allegedly organizing a "troll storm" against a Jewish woman in Montana. When Matt Pearce of the Los Angeles Times questioned Hyde about the donation, Hyde asked Pearce if he was Jewish and went on to say that $5,000 "was nothing" to him."

They're also just a general dumbass.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Goon Danton posted:

He's an alt-right racist "video prankster" who successfully got into Adult Swim's roster thanks to their drive for transgressive stoner humor. Hides heavily behind the usual "post-irony", "alt-comedy" and "performance artist" titles. Thankfully the company woke up, realized what was going on and appear to be cleaning house.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

This...might be the most uneven text I've ever read. Some parts are highly diagnostic of the precise internal mental world of people in the alt-right, but a lot of it is profoundly, horrifyingly ignorant. The philosopher who wrote the intro does a good job of emphasizing "sartre did no research before writing this text".

From what I've seen, this is basically satre.txt. Got a link to the essay and intro by any chance? Or is this one of them "books" I've heard so much about

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Goon Danton posted:

From what I've seen, this is basically satre.txt. Got a link to the essay and intro by any chance? Or is this one of them "books" I've heard so much about

alas, tis a book. I'll see if the text is online.

http://abahlali.org/files/Jean-Paul_Sartre_Anti-Semite_and_Jew_An_Exploration_of_the_Etiology_of_Hate__1995.pdf

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Guavanaut posted:

:heysexy:

Math people can be giant introverts with weird ideas about how the world works, or just ignore social decorum entirely, but you don't usually see them claiming to be self made or that purestrain take the brakes off libertarianism is a good idea.

You of course get a share of Old White Man Has Opinions, but less so than the sciences or humanities, especially for pure mathematicians, it's very abstract from any social issues at the higher levels, nobody's going to be saying "all non-cyclic finite simple groups have even order, which is why the races shouldn't mix."

I'm a Math major and 90% of the mathematicians I know are Chill ladies or older left leaning Eastern European gentlemen who just want to have as little hassle as possible and talk about hosed up stories from their childhoods and why Math modelling is bullshit.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

He's an alt-right racist "video prankster" who successfully got into Adult Swim's roster thanks to their drive for transgressive stoner humor. Hides heavily behind the usual "post-irony", "alt-comedy" and "performance artist" titles. Thankfully the company woke up, realized what was going on and appear to be cleaning house.

Yardbomb posted:

"In 2017, Hyde reportedly pledged $5,000 towards Andrew Anglin's, the founder and editor of The Daily Stormer, legal defense fund. The Southern Poverty Law Center sued Anglin for allegedly organizing a "troll storm" against a Jewish woman in Montana. When Matt Pearce of the Los Angeles Times questioned Hyde about the donation, Hyde asked Pearce if he was Jewish and went on to say that $5,000 "was nothing" to him."

They're also just a general dumbass.

Failing upwards, supporting open white supremacists behind the scenes, accusing anyone who questions him of being Jewish? Basically the ISO standard totally-not-Nazi then.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Goon Danton posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBXEvHv3Vjs

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Yardbomb posted:

Someone noticed a Ben Garrison book in the background of some of his videos. This was before the Trump campaign though. He is likely a political conservative but doesn't make his channel about it. You don't have to excommunicate everyone just because they have differing opinions.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

right wing people are universally poo poo.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Dmitri-9 posted:

Someone noticed a Ben Garrison book in the background of some of his videos. This was before the Donald "Somebody's doing the raping" Trump campaign though. He is likely a political conservative but doesn't make his channel about it. You don't have to excommunicate everyone just because they have differing opinions.

Not in this day and age.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

right wing people are universally poo poo.

Yeah differing opinions is me being friendly with anarchists.

Tolerating conservatism is being friendly with a self identified shithead.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Groovelord Neato posted:

if you poo poo on "sjws" and talk with people with sargon and sam hyde in a friendly manner i'm going to question your motives.

Sam Hyde, sure... but I think you can talk with Sargon because he doesn't as often just staring going "::insult:: ::shocking statement:: ::insult:: ::shocking statement::" etc... he just has dumb opinions. For example Contrapoints has been on his podcast.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Differing opinions is one thing. I can talk with anarchists and marxists and progressive liberals because they all fundamentally agree that everyone is deserving of basic respect and dignity, they just disagree on the way to do that. But even saying nothing about straight up Nazis, modern conservatism demands, is built around, getting to pick and choose who deserves respect and dignity and who doesn't. That's not differing opinions, that's a fundamental rejection of basic morality. How do you get chummy with someone once they've crossed that line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

differing opinions is "what should we do to fix X?". right wingers won't even accept that X exists. that's not a differing opinion, that's them denying reality.

• Locked thread