Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

C.M. Kruger posted:

Or why the planet in Trigun has a very wide variety of non-standardized 20th century guns.

Pumpkin Scissors was another one where, IIRC, everybody was using random guns from the WWI/interwar period, that and the anti-tank Thompson/Center Contender, but it's been like 10 years since it aired and I barely remember it.

there's not much to remember, since it completely squandered the amazing premise of a BERSERKER WHO FIGHTS TANKS. still kinda pisses me off that it wasn't just an increasingly implausible series of man v. tank fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there's not much to remember, since it completely squandered the amazing premise of a BERSERKER WHO FIGHTS TANKS. still kinda pisses me off that it wasn't just an increasingly implausible series of man v. tank fights.

I think there was like one tank and it shot him with a shell full of slow-acting poison gas so he just walked up and shot through the vision slits.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

C.M. Kruger posted:

I think there was like one tank and it shot him with a shell full of slow-acting poison gas so he just walked up and shot through the vision slits.

nah, there were like 3 tanks and then they dropped the tank fighting completely. i really liked the concept of man vs. tank!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

:rip:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm most of the way through the first season of Yuuki Yuuna and I was expecting dark but I wasn't expecting it to be outright cosmic and body horror. :gonk:

EDIT: Kind of a disappointing ending. Madoka convinced me Homura's obsessive insanity was sufficient to change the world, this show not so much.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Oct 7, 2017

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Irritated Goat posted:

Please tell me they try to pronounce that in japanese :pray:

They don't. The names of people are pronounced, but the unit name is kokka hoan (JP for national security) and he's honbuchou (director). The german is just an affectation added by the translators.

Chuui (Lieutenant)-> Obersturmführer too, as another example.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Oct 7, 2017

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

nah, there were like 3 tanks and then they dropped the tank fighting completely. i really liked the concept of man vs. tank!

I think the tank fight was more to just show how he used to be, the rest of the series isn't really about military action, it's about rebuilding from a war.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Davincie posted:

its clearly not ww2 post apoc judging by the fact that they show multiple pieces of cold war equipment. its just that everything the girls carry is ww2 german, and most of the destroyed stuff ww2 soviet. i don't need a voiceover ofc, if anything the total lack of exposition is good. its just that the setting comes over more as a grab bag of things the author found cool looking, then consistent. all of this might change later of course

its almost as if the series might be about the characters, rather than the setting

:thunk:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Well you see all advanced technology was rendered unusable by the EMP burst, therefore

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Y'all should be watching Pingu in the City.

Julias fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 7, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
But it's even worse than Your Name?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Julias, I respect that you edited your post, but I'm only gonna say this once: Motherfucker, you have homework right now. :colbert:

(And I mean "Motherfucker" in the most affectionate of ways, of course. :blush:)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Wark Say posted:

Julias, I respect that you edited your post, but I'm only gonna say this once: Motherfucker, you have homework right now. :colbert:

(And I mean "Motherfucker" in the most affectionate of ways, of course. :blush:)

I might have stolen that previous screenshot from somewhere, like a lazy idiot. :ssh:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Fair enough. We cool then, buddy. :)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Free Wark's Post!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
He fights an entire train later on in the manga

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Everything Burrito posted:

He fights an entire train later on in the manga
Fighting through a train full of people is a lost art. :(

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wark Say posted:

Fighting through a train full of people is a lost art. :(

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
kino no tabi's back baby, with all the strength of the original's shot composition and pacing

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
That circletrain arc was hosed up, burrito :(

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Kytrarewn posted:

They don't. The names of people are pronounced, but the unit name is kokka hoan (JP for national security) and he's honbuchou (director). The german is just an affectation added by the translators.

Chuui (Lieutenant)-> Obersturmführer too, as another example.

Then after inserting all the nazi terminology to go along with all the nazi imagery, they decide that viewers would be too offended to read the words "sieg heil" while hearing it actually said in japo-german. :shrug:

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

How many series has Nisio teamed up with Akatsuki Akira at this point? Is he the manga version of Shinbo to Nisio now?

e:

Allarion posted:

Slightly spoilerish since the anime hasn't labeled everyone yet (like how the boar kills in abundance and the rabbit kills strangely), but the manga labels her as

That said, the labels aren't fully literal either, so we'll see where monkey ends up.

The PV gave everyone the labels, and I think the website also has the labels.
The rub is that they're all in Japanese, so if you can't read, I guess it'd be a spoiler.

Also, please check out the rap video

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 7, 2017

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Postal Parcel posted:

How many series has Nisio teamed up with Akatsuki Akira at this point? Is he the manga version of Shinbo to Nisio now?
Medaka Box, Shounen Shoujo, Juuni Taisen Manga and part of the Oogiri anthology. Besides, Katanagatari is better (beyond the Kizu movies), and there's no Shinbo SIMBO involved there.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Here's my first episode trip reports:
  • Urahara looked great and seems like it might be pretty decent;
  • Girls' Last Tour is pretty good, chill post-apocalyptic slice of life but I'm not super sold on the character designs;
  • Just Because! had a great first episode and I kind of hope it continues to just focus on the ensemble cast's daily vignettes and doesn't try to make everyone hang out together for no reason;
  • Konohana Kitan is cute, but the first episode lacked substance, and I hope that's only because it was the introductory episode, and not because the show is just going to be purely episodic.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

That circletrain arc was hosed up, burrito :(

His PTSD stuff is pretty brutal in that one and there was a lot of hosed up poo poo going on in that town :(
I want to know more about Randel in the war and what they did to him and I hate the way it just dribbles out hints every now and then. I also don't necessarily dislike Alice but she's way less interesting to me than pretty much everyone else in the unit but gets the majority of the development, even in the most recently translated stuff that's his history and backstory yet ends up being all about Alice once again. I think I'd like it overall better if he was the focal character instead of her or if it did a true ensemble and gave equal weight to everyone on the team. Sometimes he ends up feeling more like a plot mechanism than a true character. It's a pretty cool setting and is fairly unique IMO but is definitely not without flaws.

Also I was looking at the covers and man some of them are *so bad*

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 7, 2017

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Medaka Box, Shounen Shoujo, Juuni Taisen Manga and part of the Oogiri anthology. Besides, Katanagatari is better (beyond the Kizu movies), and there's no Shinbo SIMBO involved there.

technically there's no shinbo involved in -gatari either. he's either credited as chief director to someone else's director credit, or director to someone else's series director credit.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Everything Burrito posted:

His PTSD stuff is pretty brutal in that one and there was a lot of hosed up poo poo going on in that town :(
I want to know more about Randel in the war and what they did to him and I hate the way it just dribbles out hints every now and then. I also don't necessarily dislike Alice but she's way less interesting to me than pretty much everyone else in the unit but gets the majority of the development, even in the most recently translated stuff that's his history and backstory yet ends up being all about Alice once again. I think I'd like it overall better if he was the focal character instead of her or if it did a true ensemble and gave equal weight to everyone on the team. Sometimes he ends up feeling more like a plot mechanism than a true character. It's a pretty cool setting and is fairly unique IMO but is definitely not without flaws.

Also I was looking at the covers and man some of them are *so bad*

Agreed on all counts. Luckily it's a really long series, so hopefully we'll see more of Randel's past.
Sadly, it's not proceeding quickly... at all.
PS is part of the reason i started scanlating back in the Way Back times.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dogsicle posted:

technically there's no shinbo involved in -gatari either. he's either credited as chief director to someone else's director credit, or director to someone else's series director credit.
:crossarms:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Really enjoyed the first ep of Kino's Journey - scratches that rare Mushishi itch and Aoi Yuuki's turning in a great performance as Kino. Definitely keeping this one on the queue.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Did I imagine it or did the subs refer to Kino as "he"?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Droyer posted:

Did I imagine it or did the subs refer to Kino as "he"?

I heard someone say that at some point but I can't find it in the actual subs?

At any rate, unless it's an omniscient narrator or maybe Hermes, I don't know why it should matter? I gather Kino's generally seen as NB, sure, but I don't see why some bumfuck villager should be able to glance at them and know not to use "he."

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sindai posted:

I'm most of the way through the first season of Yuuki Yuuna and I was expecting dark but I wasn't expecting it to be outright cosmic and body horror. :gonk:

EDIT: Kind of a disappointing ending. Madoka convinced me Homura's obsessive insanity was sufficient to change the world, this show not so much.

We never learn much about the Shinju-sama in the first season and it's sufficient to consider it a proper god. As such, the girls don't seem to have much agency over their fates beyond prayer and hoping. There are LNs that do go over what happened to start the whole thing 300 years ago and another one that goes more into how the secret organization works.

It's definitely not quite as good as Madoka, but it is just as interesting, if not more so

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Ancient Magus Bride: Oh my god please tell me "sleigh beggy" is not the official localization.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sindai posted:

Ancient Magus Bride: Oh my god please tell me "sleigh beggy" is not the official localization.

I don't think anyone ever figured out what the non-nonsense romanisation of that was supposed to be, did they?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The scans I read always used "slay vega," which sounds a million times better. :shrug:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

I heard someone say that at some point but I can't find it in the actual subs?

At any rate, unless it's an omniscient narrator or maybe Hermes, I don't know why it should matter? I gather Kino's generally seen as NB, sure, but I don't see why some bumfuck villager should be able to glance at them and know not to use "he."

It's Hermes who says it.

Like with many shows Crunchy's subs make dumb mistakes.

Delicious sandwich
Nov 6, 2011
The first episode of Blood Bath and Beyond was a lot of fun. I'm glad they kept the descriptive text for everyone from season 1 (well, ok, I was only looking for "dick suck" for Zapp, but that's the only one that matters).

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's Hermes who says it.

Like with many shows Crunchy's subs make dumb mistakes.

Welp

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
They were also in public though weren't they? It could absolutely be a subs mistake but could also just be her and Hermes keeping her gender a secret from everyone standing within earshot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah hermes wtf, you know kino is kino

• Locked thread