Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Holy cow the carge container keys are awesome. They drop guaranteed distillates and anima shards. Great way to level up your weapons and talismans (You need to have tokyo unlocked)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Exmond posted:

Holy cow the carge container keys are awesome. They drop guaranteed distillates and anima shards. Great way to level up your weapons and talismans (You need to have tokyo unlocked)

It's definitely one way to make Tokyo quests viable for the end game. I like the change

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

Sekenr posted:

This might be obvious but don't skip any missions, do all of them. Other than XP and rewards 100 % an area gives you cosmetics and some AP/SP. Do dungeons at least in story mode preferably with quests that "lead" to dungeons, they are pretty nifty stories by themselves.

It'd say it's okay to skip some as long as you're not having difficulty. I didn't 100% any areas until I finished the main story up to the Carpathian finale. Went back and 100% the other areas later, and I'm still trying to figure which guise is best. Locust maybe.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Oh cool. They bought back the previous AEGIS missions. I missed you crazy tank man.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 22, 2017

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
Only one of them though, I thought? The other is still missing.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

drat, what a pleasure it is sometimes. Almost every character is great, I wish there was more stuff with all of them.
Mosul - I don't even know where the inspiration came from but he is awesome. How did they even explain to the voice actor how to deliver the lines, he is just great and mysterious. At the same time a bum living under a bridge.
Sam Krieg - cynical nihilistic horror writer found himself in the middle of a horror story and is dealing with it like a boss, excellent, want more of that.
Said - suave mummy born in almost prehistoric ages, clever guy yet memory fails and time-loop is created.
Dr. Klein is Dr. Klein.
Jung gives you a psychotherapy session.
Khaled - who is he really? There were theories floating on the TSW lore forum that a brother to Moses or something.
Inbeda sounds like he speaks vile poo poo as a demon should yet his mask dryly delivers it in polite eloquent speech.

Even universally hated Adrian Zorlescu in his brief appearance in 2 minute cutscenes has more character than anyone I've seen in Star Wars of the old republic, a more vivid character.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Sekenr posted:

Khaled - who is he really? There were theories floating on the TSW lore forum that a brother to Moses or something.
Inbeda sounds like he speaks vile poo poo as a demon should yet his mask dryly delivers it in polite eloquent speech.

Yeah, general consensus is that he's Aaron, brother of Moses, from Exodus. No love for Nassir or Ricky Pagan?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Inbeda is loving fantastic, that cutscene at the end of Contract Killers where he dances with the Geary mannequin is amazing. The fake surprised reaction he does when he first looks at it is comedy gold.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Nassir is the best.

Absolutely the best.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Nassir is the best.

Absolutely the best.

The first time I did the Last Train to Cairo questline, after the time-travel bit it said "find the boldest driver in the desert", and I didn't have to think twice. :allears:

(I think it said "boldest", although it might have been "fastest".)

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

So many great characters, a shame I got tired of mashing items together shortly after starting Tokyo. Hopefully they can keep delivering content and QoL stuff.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

clone on the phone posted:

So many great characters, a shame I got tired of mashing items together shortly after starting Tokyo. Hopefully they can keep delivering content and QoL stuff.

Hahahaha

No new dungeons until next year. Halloween event is just the Cat God from 2012

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Len posted:

Hahahaha

Funcom!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Len posted:

Hahahaha

I think the last thing I spent time doing in the previous Secret World was Christmas -- the stuff with Mozart. They have some fantastic events/quests in this game.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Len posted:

Hahahaha

I was disappointed when I saw their Halloween event was going to be Cat God. Seems like they would want to kick off a rebooted game with a new fun event. Maybe they add a twist to it that makes it fun for the TSW veterans. I know they can't do the same one two years in a row, but I really enjoyed the one from last year where people summoned world bosses by working together to complete a ritual. I usually just tagged along to DPS, but it was still fun.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
I think one of my biggest problems with SWL is the lack of romance. There's violence, there's mystery, there's horror and camraderie and the supernatural... but where's the romance?

I knew joining the RP discords would pay off eventually

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Allatum posted:

but where's the romance?

A euphemism? Probably not.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
There's also Moose and Deputy Andy in Kingsmouth and to a lesser extent Inbeda's (presumably) unrequited love for Geary. :v:

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
There's that hotel in Tokyo too.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
The dude wanted romancable companions like SWTOR because every game needs some dumb waifu for these nerds.

P.S. Saïd is my waifu.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Allatum posted:

P.S. Saïd is my waifu.

Get in line!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

TracerM17 posted:

I was disappointed when I saw their Halloween event was going to be Cat God. Seems like they would want to kick off a rebooted game with a new fun event. Maybe they add a twist to it that makes it fun for the TSW veterans. I know they can't do the same one two years in a row, but I really enjoyed the one from last year where people summoned world bosses by working together to complete a ritual. I usually just tagged along to DPS, but it was still fun.

I can see them rehashing old events for people who might not've done them or missed them. When they did the event with Flappy, I saw a lot of people pretty happy to either finally see the rest or just being able to do it because they missed out before.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
Okay, I'm trying this game again now that I rebuilt my PC. I don't have time for theorycrafting builds and would like to be told a good base build that I could expand from. Any decent forums or guides yet? I wasn't finding much. Currently Chaos/Pistols, but I could be convinced to do something else. Thanks.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Well. It depends on whether you want to do elite dungeons and such. If you do you should probably settle on your main role in group by the time you have blue gear. Retooling for another role when you are in purples or god forbid yellows will be a major pain in the rear end. Ar of right now, the way I see it:

Go chaos/hammer or hammer/chaos and be a tank. This is good for your dungeon queues but requires you to be involved, know the dungeons, bosses and their gimmicks.
Be lazy like me and be pistol DPS. I also have chaos/pistols but for dungeons I switch to pistols as my main and DPS with pistol abilities because melee DPS is harder.

Whatever you do, don't pick swords. There is some sort of problem with it, Funcom was promising to fix it for a while but its not quite there yet.

Oh and import your TSW stuff, it will give you your cosmetics and unlock all weapon pages.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 7, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Sekenr posted:

Oh and import your TSW stuff, it will give you your cosmetics and unlock all weapon pages.

I think that's disabled now

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Len posted:

I think that's disabled now

Yup, you can only do it if you've done it once already.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010

Sekenr posted:

Go chaos/hammer or hammer/chaos and be a tank. This is good for your dungeon queues but requires you to be involved, know the dungeons, bosses and their gimmicks.
Be lazy like me and be pistol DPS.

I'm lazy. Right now I only see myself playing for the story, not the mechanics. Which skills should I be buying/slotting?

Thanks for the run down.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Here's an early Pistol/Shotgun solo build from another forum that commenters seemed to like.

Active Pistol (4-1-5, 95 AP):
Seeking Bullet (B), Unload, Full House, Bullet Ballet (E)

Active Shotgun (0-1-1, 10 AP):
Reconstituting Shells, Rocket Pod (+passive)

Passive Pistol (0-0-0-4-0, 40 SP):
Second Wind, Beginner's Luck, Flechette Rounds

Passive Shotgun (0-0-2-2-0, 35 SP):
Reinforced Rockets, Odds & Evens

Once you have that, you can use it while you work towards a slightly more expensive version of the build.

Active Pistol (4-2-5, +10 AP):
Full House -> Clean Slate (+passive)

Active Shotgun (0-0-4, +30 AP):
Reconstituting Shells -> CQC (+passive)

Passive Pistol (0-4-0-2-0, +35 SP):
Second Wind -> Rehabilitation
Flechette Rounds -> (shotgun)

Passive Shotgun (0-0-7-0-6, +130 SP):
Odds & Evens -> Fatal Funnel
(pistol) -> Combat Reload

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 7, 2017

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Weird thing happened yesterday that I didn't see before. In the middle of a fight a sound effect played like something important is happening and a rotating golden ring appeared above my character's head. What is that?

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Oct 8, 2017

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Someone used a Ring of Mudarra gadget with you as their defensive target.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

You must be right. And that someone was me. I didn't expect them to make a sound + visual effect just for this ring though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lawlicaust come back and get all the out of date and just plain wrong information out of the OP

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Is there a decent resource with information on Orochi tower floors? tswdb has literally nothing and I want that flute achievement. I can't believe that after all these years there aren't full solutions to every floor other than some half-assed youtube videos of people playing for the first time.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

So, I've started and re-rolled a dozen characters before settling on the Trickster to start with. I'm enjoying the combo of Chaos/Pistol, and I'm wondering what weapon tree I should unlock next. I was leaning to maybe shotgun, but the few times I've played with it, I just find the ammo mechanic a bit too wonky. If it works well as a backup to the pistol, I'd be willing to give it another go.

Quasipox fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Oct 12, 2017

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Sekenr posted:

Is there a decent resource with information on Orochi tower floors? tswdb has literally nothing and I want that flute achievement. I can't believe that after all these years there aren't full solutions to every floor other than some half-assed youtube videos of people playing for the first time.
I'm pretty sure they've changed the music since TSW anyway.

If you want the full sequence:

orange, green, blue, purple, purple, purple, green, blue, green, yellow

blue, green, blue, yellow, green, yellow, blue, purple, orange

green, orange, orange, orange, yellow, red, red, red, blue

blue, green, blue, yellow, green, yellow, purple, red, orange

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Pilchenstein posted:

I'm pretty sure they've changed the music since TSW anyway.

If you want the full sequence:

orange, green, blue, purple, purple, purple, green, blue, green, yellow

blue, green, blue, yellow, green, yellow, blue, purple, orange

green, orange, orange, orange, yellow, red, red, red, blue

blue, green, blue, yellow, green, yellow, purple, red, orange

Thanks, Is that the new one?

Hopefully I'll get it next time I'm there, first time I was there there was 4 blue notes in the first sequence.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Sekenr posted:

Thanks, Is that the new one?

Hopefully I'll get it next time I'm there, first time I was there there was 4 blue notes in the first sequence.
Since you say that, I suspect there's actually more than one tune, since the one I've got written down from TSW has 4 blue notes in the first sequence. :v:

Assuming it's the same as it was in TSW, that one is:

R B B B B G Y G G G

R Y Y Y Y G B P G O

O R R R R O B P G G

R B B B B G Y G G G

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013
So having given it a while longer since I last poked my head in here, how's things at present for someone who'd be coming in with a fresh start? Is progression still screwed/is it still impossibly difficult to level any new weapons once you're at 50, or did they make it a little more lenient for people that want to change their builds later on? (Especially if you're willing to subscribe, which I'd be cool with doing)

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I would say it's definitely possible. I have 5-6 of the weapon active abilities filled out, and filling in the passive just for the stat boosters. But I guess it depends on how much you are going to play. I've been actively playing a few months (with sub). I log in and do the daily's for about an hour a day then log out. I don't do any lairs, dungeons, raids or any other content that would require I actually interact with another human being. So I think it's possible with a casual style. If you are trying to power through it in a month and have high level gear at the end of the month, then I don't know; MoF might be a bit short to do that.

Edit: Leveling multiple sets of gear at the same time would still be costly. If you are asking about that.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, multiple sets of gear is pretty expensive. But if you're sticking to one role and only levelling weapons it's not as bad. Patron key bonus makes it more feasible and the side missions in Tokyo past the wall all give container keys, which will spawn monsters that drop blue distillates.