Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Shoren posted:

I wonder if this might become a bigger threat if Catalonia breaks away from Spain and Barcelona becomes leagueless.

Even if Catalonia becomes an independent country, I'd bet my house on Barcelona (and Espanyol and Girona) staying in La Liga.

It's not like being part of the country is required for playing in their football competition (Monaco in Ligue 1, Swansea/Cardiff etc in the English pyramid, Vaduz from Liechtenstein play in the Swiss league etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

webmeister posted:

Even if Catalonia becomes an independent country, I'd bet my house on Barcelona (and Espanyol and Girona) staying in La Liga.

It's not like being part of the country is required for playing in their football competition (Monaco in Ligue 1, Swansea/Cardiff etc in the English pyramid, Vaduz from Liechtenstein play in the Swiss league etc).

I recall hearing that La Liga basically said there's no place for Barcelona if Catalonia secedes from Spain. That's why I brought it up, but point taken about "foreign" clubs playing in the leagues of neighboring countries.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Shoren posted:

I recall hearing that La Liga basically said there's no place for Barcelona if Catalonia secedes from Spain. That's why I brought it up, but point taken about "foreign" clubs playing in the leagues of neighboring countries.

I imagine they'd say that because it's Spain and the civil war never ended, but I can't imagine that even Madrid fans would vote in the end to turn their club into New Celtic while Italy and Germany run away with all the coefficient points

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Shoren posted:

They should join the Prem OP and we can see if Messi can really do it say on Tuesday, on a cold rainy night in Stoke.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
They should join Ligue 1 and just own PSG every season forever so Neymar and Qatar do a cry

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
they should just become a national team and make all their players catalonian players then go win the world cup

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I thought Qatar/Dubai (whichever one runs Ligue 1) already gave them a wildcard to enter the league in case of Catalonian independence.

I kinda want it to happen just to see Neymar cry.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Waroduce posted:

They should join the Prem OP and we can see if Messi can really do it say on Tuesday, on a cold rainy night in Stoke.

Hopefully after joining the pyramid at the lower league level.

Messi versus Scunthorpe. Pique dealing with barrages of high crosses and Rudy Gestede. It'd be amazing.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
[quote="“Shoren”" post="“477084462”"]
I wonder if this might become a bigger threat if Catalonia breaks away from Spain and Barcelona becomes leagueless.
[/quote]

That just makes La Liga worthless imo.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
yeah realistically the el classico matches are a huge part of what makes la liga valuable.

also La Liga has Andorra in it

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

vyelkin posted:

They should join Ligue 1 and just own PSG every season forever so Neymar and Qatar do a cry

This is a top top idea

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
barca to the chinese super league

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

vyelkin posted:

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
can a newly formed country convert players that are already capped?

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Bea Nanner posted:

It happened to a few players when Serbia and Montenegro split; players could pick which one they ended up playing for.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
Same with south Sudan

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Sudan_national_football_team

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Bea Nanner posted:

Yeah Montenegro did as did Kosovo if you count that as a country which you know full well we don't.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Same with the USSR, most of the players chose to keep playing for the Russian national team but some of them switched to their new home countries

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Waroduce posted:

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/stoke-city-become-one-first-576470

He's already got a seat

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
It's a weird feeling to be mad about Fellaini getting injured on national team duty, but here we are

https://twitter.com/HLNinEngeland/status/916737065953394688

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Can't wait for Mourinho's comments re: international football

West007
Apr 21, 2013

Today I had a sponsored video on Facebook and its title said Fellaini was a better player than Zidane, and that he also had a better haircut.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

West007 posted:

Today I had a sponsored video on Facebook and its title said Fellaini was a better player than Zidane, and that he also had a better haircut.

So, Facebook is promoting the truth? Take that, SJWs!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

West007 posted:

So how much research on balding and hair replacement therapy have you done?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

TheBigAristotle posted:

It's a weird feeling to be mad about Fellaini getting injured on national team duty, but here we are

:mad: In a meaningless game as well. Belgium had already qualified. loving internationals.

Just what we needed with Pogba already out. :waycool:

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Newest reports are that he'll be out for a couple of weeks rather than months

Still disappointing, since he'd clearly have scored x goals against Liverpool (where x is a number representing the total number of corners and free kicks awarded to us during the game), but we should have the depth to cover him being out short-term

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
How are we going to line up against Liverpool now? We can't really play a midfield three even if we wanted to, as I don't really consider Carrick to be a valid option at this point, at least not against Liverpool's pressing. Matic and Herrera are obvious choices for a midfield two, but Mkhi is not a great choice for #10 as he needs time and space to be effective.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

PirateBob posted:

How are we going to line up against Liverpool now? We can't really play a midfield three even if we wanted to, as I don't really consider Carrick to be a valid option at this point, at least not against Liverpool's pressing. Matic and Herrera are obvious choices for a midfield two, but Mkhi is not a great choice for #10 as he needs time and space to be effective.

All this worry over a team you’ll probably steamroll anyway. You did notice how Liverpool were playing before the break, right?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

McTominay in!

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

I think we've still got Brian McClair employed in some form

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

PirateBob posted:

:mad: In a meaningless game as well. Belgium had already qualified. loving internationals.

Just wait until they start a not fully fit Lukaku in their next meaningless game and get him injured for months.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
The glorious return of Axel Tuanzebe

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Recall Tim Fosu-Mensah from his loan at Palace imo.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Is this already well-established history?

Liverpool 'missed out on signing Peter Schmeichel and Eric Cantona', Graeme Souness reveals

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Der Shovel posted:

Just wait until they start a not fully fit Lukaku in their next meaningless game and get him injured for months.

Yep, was thinking the same thing. Can't wait. Pretty sure Lukaku is already carrying a knock. And so was Fellaini.

Brony Car posted:

All this worry over a team you’ll probably steamroll anyway. You did notice how Liverpool were playing before the break, right?

That was before the international break. And form goes out the window in a LFC vs Man Utd game anyway. Playing at Anfield has never been simple for us, apart from a win or two under LVG.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
piratebob makes thousands of whiney posts about how bad felaini is and now this

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Shrapnig posted:

Recall Tim Fosu-Mensah from his loan at Palace imo.

This but Andreas Pereira

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/transfersite/status/916499154309910528

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

TheBigAristotle posted:

Shkodran Mustafi was also killed during his international match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
English lion Harry Kane was nominated for the Ballon d'Or.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11073509/ballon-dor-nominees-list-includes-ngolo-kante-neymar-and-luka-modric

• Locked thread