Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

codenameFANGIO posted:

Today I am going to try to get through the Titanfall 2 campaign. I thought it would be generic bullshit but some of the setpieces they are coming up with are actually extremely fun and cool. There's a whole level that is a factory assembling houses for wargames or something and it becomes this very disorienting climb up a sideways neighborhood, and I am currently jumping back and forth between two different time periods in a research facility. In one era the facility is up and running and the other it is ruined and overrun by monster things and you have to jump between the two to progress. I am having a good time, here.

The Titanfall 2 campaign sure does start generic but it just keeps ramping up! Good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Have fun you guys. I've got work I need to finish up through the weekend :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sakurazuka posted:

A lot of DS1 isn't really that hard when it's the fifth game in the series you play...

Sadly true for the entire series. You'll never get back your first time.

Which is why for many people their favorite is the one they played first. It was the most magical. After that it was just more of the same and not quite as challenging.

Not that I don't still want more of the same. I do.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

In Training posted:

Nope and Nope, I just know its got a very specific style, and that I wanted to play it when it came out on GameCube but my mom wouldn't let me rent it because it was M. Screw you mom!

Enjoy learning the secrets to hitting on women with 100% success! :)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

babypolis posted:

i remember the phoenix was pretty hard? at the very least it seemed impossible to not get hit for the gold diamond

phoenix is tricky but once you know what's going on he's not as hard as cerberus, just easy to screw up. you can basically avoid all damage on the second phase if you hold down on the dpad and from there the third phase is just a matter of positioning yourself to grab one of the rockets. compared to cerberus, each phase gives you way more room and time to breathe

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Sadly true for the entire series. You'll never get back your first time.

Which is why for many people their favorite is the one they played first. It was the most magical. After that it was just more of the same and not quite as challenging.

Not that I don't still want more of the same. I do.

Bloodborne wasn't the first one I played though

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In my ill fated quest to beat every Zelda I'm playing Four Swords solo. I think I'll also finish Resi7 but I just reached the caves which everyone says is butt.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

al-azad posted:

In my ill fated quest to beat every Zelda I'm playing Four Swords solo. I think I'll also finish Resi7 but I just reached the caves which everyone says is butt.
If you're at the caves you're like 25 minutes away from the end of RE7.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

al-azad posted:

I hope that quest includes the CDI games

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Raxivace posted:

If you're at the caves you're like 25 minutes away from the end of RE7.

It's strange I cannot play the game for longer than an hour at a time so this may as well be all day for me.

Andrast posted:

I hope that quest includes the CDI games

Obvo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hoped I was close enough to the end of Yakuza 5 I could finish it today. I was wrong.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I have heard that the cd-I Zeldas are not actually too bad

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

You can do it al-azad! I believe in you! Power on through it!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

codenameFANGIO posted:

no zelda's adventure is pretty bad

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

codenameFANGIO posted:

You heard wrong

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol in Shadow of War you get a permanent 3% XP bonus if you sign up for their newsletter.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
drat, if only i'd spent the 80 dollars for that humble bundle preorder and t-shirt

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I wonder what it's like to work with a team that put together one of the most invigorating new narrative systems in games but also is implementing some of the worst practices of the industry as far as turning games into coupon-clipping activities.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

babypolis posted:

i remember the phoenix was pretty hard? at the very least it seemed impossible to not get hit for the gold diamond

phoenix is intimidating because a lot of things are going on, but it's actually not that hard. cerberus alpha is basically rng though

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

In Training posted:

Lol in Shadow of War you get a permanent 3% XP bonus if you sign up for their newsletter.
Called it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i decided to give guardian heroes another spin in yabause and i remembered that the ost loving kicks rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTtLgzXHiyI

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it's pretty amazing that Shinji Mikami made a game whose only memorable part was "HERE'S MY BIG BONER!!!!!!" and then said "OK, but what if I wanted to get really silly?"

the evil within is GOAT

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

doingitwrong posted:

I wonder what it's like to work with a team that put together one of the most invigorating new narrative systems in games but also is implementing some of the worst practices of the industry as far as turning games into coupon-clipping activities.

I honestly do not get all the raving about how innovative the Nemesis system is and how much it adds to games and how people want to see that repeated like it's something special. I even died while playing Shadow of Mordor so I actually got to see the traits change but big whoop, interlocking enemy traits is something that has been in RPGs and hierarchy-based territory control has been in other open world games. The narrative stuff is all generic palette swap enemies with canned monologues that I skipped after the first dozen and hearing that they're made even longer and more frequent in Shadow of War is not exciting to me at all

Edit: I mean, I had fun with Shadow of Mordor, sure, but that was mainly because of how the domination mechanic could change the tides of fights, which isn't anything to do with the Nemesis system, and I enjoyed chipping away at the power structure, but again, their spin on hierarchy-based territory control didn't strike me as mind-blowing innovation that I want to revolutionize the industry, which is how people sound when they talk about the Nemesis System™

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 7, 2017

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

doingitwrong posted:

I don't have experience with the games industry, but in my experience if you work on something like this for several years you start to believe your own BS justifications or you burn out pretty quickly.

The whole "saintly game developers struggling valiantly against the satanic game publishers" narrative people use really bugs me. I'm sure there's a bit of truth to it, but the developers bear some responsibility for these things that they make.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

phoenix is intimidating because a lot of things are going on, but it's actually not that hard. cerberus alpha is basically rng though

Not quite. His missiles are unpredictable but you can shake a missile to blow through them all. And you can grab his charged shot and he'll wait until you throw it at him.

I'll say he's just long. Dude takes more hits than any other boss so there's less room to gently caress up. Like first thing I do is hop on a missile and I'm good after that.

precision posted:

it's pretty amazing that Shinji Mikami made a game whose only memorable part was "HERE'S MY BIG BONER!!!!!!" and then said "OK, but what if I wanted to get really silly?"

the evil within is GOAT

Hey I take offense! Everything about Shadows of the Damned's aesthetic was my poo poo and it didn't play too bad.

TEW could've topped it if they laid off the bullshit instant deaths. I really enjoyed 3/4 of that game but that one quarter was just a kick in the nuts every time.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I honestly do not get all the raving about how innovative the Nemesis system is and how much it adds to games and how people want to see that repeated like it's something special. I even died while playing Shadow of Mordor so I actually got to see the traits change but big whoop, interlocking enemy traits is something that has been in RPGs and hierarchy-based territory control has been in other open world games. The narrative stuff is all generic palette swap enemies with canned monologues that I skipped after the first dozen and hearing that they're made even longer and more frequent in Shadow of War is not exciting to me at all

It's stuff that's been in other games but not to that degree. It was a glimmer of something another company could perfect but nobody actually did. Like the system would've worked well in a Batman game where each rogue has their own henchmen. It would've been perfect in a wrestling game where bullshit soap opera stories are why people still care.

But nah, its being tossed in the garbage because WB doesn't have a franchise to milk.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

I don't have experience with the games industry, but in my experience if you work on something like this for several years you start to believe your own BS justifications or you burn out pretty quickly.

The whole "saintly game developers struggling valiantly against the satanic game publishers" narrative people use really bugs me. I'm sure there's a bit of truth to it, but the developers bear some responsibility for these things that they make.

In this case the bullshit is coming outside the game. It's WB's newsletter you're signing up for to get that sweet xp boost.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

al-azad posted:

Four Swords or Four Swords Adventures? Cause I'm pretty sure Four Swords is unplayable solo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

al-azad posted:

Hey I take offense! Everything about Shadows of the Damned's aesthetic was my poo poo and it didn't play too bad.

I'm not happy that I don't remember much about it! I wanted to love it, a punk rock Suda-collab reskin of RE4 sounds, on paper, like Exactly My poo poo, but all I recall about playing it is that it was pretty easy and there was a lot of downtime between funny/cool stuff.

Now Lollipop Chainsaw, that ended up being the punk rock zombie game that really stood out. Aside from the inexplicable farm level, that game had great aesthetics and was super fun

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Andrast posted:

Bloodborne wasn't the first one I played though

"for many people" is not "everyone"

:v:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Olive! posted:

Four Swords or Four Swords Adventures? Cause I'm pretty sure Four Swords is unplayable solo.

Nintendo released a patched Four Swords for Zelda's 25th(?) on DSi Ware. It's the only way to play the game solo and local multiplayer and Nintendo offered it for 5 minutes before locking it away in the Disney vault.

Just reached the desert in Four Swords Adventure and the level design overall is pretty terrible. They expect you to coordinate in frustrating ways and I could not imagine playing this with three other assholes. I'm resolved to beat every Zelda I haven't completed which means I'm dreading Triforce whatever.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

precision posted:

I'm not happy that I don't remember much about it! I wanted to love it, a punk rock Suda-collab reskin of RE4 sounds, on paper, like Exactly My poo poo, but all I recall about playing it is that it was pretty easy and there was a lot of downtime between funny/cool stuff.

Now Lollipop Chainsaw, that ended up being the punk rock zombie game that really stood out. Aside from the inexplicable farm level, that game had great aesthetics and was super fun

Zombie games gotta have farm levels. It's required by law.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

this game kicks rear end.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I just realized what game Shrouded Isle reminds me of, it's totally like Tharsis. A negative mood where you're not happy that the numbers go up, you're relieved that they didn't go down. Trying to hang on through random events that totally gently caress up your plans and hoping for the RNG to bless you. Planning two turns ahead because the thing you have to fix right now to not die will break something else for the next turn so you have to make sure you can fix that second thing before you commit, otherwise you're just digging a deeper hole.

Pretty fun!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Welp. KCB and her friends are at the movies now. She brought me along cause I'm better at navigating roads than she is and she had to take some new roads to get to where her friend Jesus lives. Since I don't wanna sit through the MLP movie though, I'm sitting at a local gas station, using their wi-fi and listening to Yes and sipping some Snapple raspberry tea.

All in all, a solid day with no unfortunate events. I hope everyone else has the same kind of day, one where you get to just chill out and relax :)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I gotta say this machine fight in metroid is not fun on 3ds controls

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Resident EVIL down. Next up to finish the last quarter of Silent Hill 3 and make this a productive day.

Feels like they completely ran out of ideas as the last area is a linear enemy gauntlet. I don't know why I kept bouncing off this, been playing it since release, but I think the pacing is all over the place. I really enjoyed the movie vignettes and I'd love to see a game built entirely around that. Like you're investigating some bullshit watching snuff films which reveal solutions to puzzles, why aren't there more of this??

In Training posted:

this game kicks rear end.

You literally have seen nothing yet.

On a related note, Suda made a Blood+ game which is his Deadly Premonition. It basically bridges the gap between Killer7 and No More Heroes.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm playing the new Dishonored, pretty good so far. I went through the first one and D2 by being a dirty savescummer, reloading when I got caught but I'm trying to avoid that this time around. Turns out I suck at first person stealth but I'm still having fun with it. Also watching Twin Peaks on the side when I feel like taking a break.

I'm mostly just killing time until Shadow of War comes out though.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Patiently awaiting my Ruiner refund to come through so I can pick up Cuphead tonight. Only WITHIN 6 HOURS remaining. Ruiner seemed like my jam but I just wasn't feeling it right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Playing FF9 on the PS4, I watched my babysitter play through it in its entirety when i was like 9 or 10 and barely remember anything about it except for existential black mage robots. It's a very cool game and a lot of fun now that you can use the fast forward feature to absolutely destroy chocobo hot and cold.

I'm about to head into Terra with a fuckload of endgame weapons and gear. :getin:

• Locked thread