Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I love the reveal of "Babe, I'm a prepper" like a scared bisexual telling their girlfirend, "Baby... I'm bi. I'll always be committed to you. I'm a monogamist. But you have to accept me for who I am: a man who has to stockpile dicks in a room for no readily apparent reason."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Multilake
Dec 11, 2016

If you're in a jam, a crayon scrunched under your nose makes a good pretend moustache.

quote:

My [27f] fiancé [27m] doesn't expect us to be together forever

My partner and I were discussing our wedding recently (been together 6 years, engaged for nearly 2) and he said that he doesn't expect us to be together forever. I was dumbfounded, honestly.
He comes from a family of many divorces - I'm not sure he knows any adults who haven't been divorced. I come from a family of NO divorces, until I met him I basically didn't know anyone who had been divorced. Very different backgrounds.
I digress - he went on to say that marriages always end eventually and it's not forever. When I quiestioned him about the "death do us part" bit, he said it was "just something you say".
I'm not religious at all but the vows mean a great deal to me. I would be entering into this marriage with the intention of it lasting forever.
I should add that's I'm not stupid. I am aware that divorce happens and it is a possibility, always. However, I don't EXPECT it to happen.
Am I going mad here? I suddenly feel so insecure in this relationship and I have no idea what to do.
He has also stated that if I was in a severe accident and he wasn't physically attracted to me anymore, he probably wouldn't stay with me. I understand attraction is part of love, but "in sickness and in health" means a lot to me too.
Tl;dr Partner expects our marriage will end eventually. I would be entering into the marriage intending for it to last forever.

I guess "till death do us apart"doesn't really apply here.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
:e nm that was kinda mean

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 7, 2017

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Multilake posted:

I guess "till death do us apart"doesn't really apply here.

:sever: dude should know that you don't go into a marriage saying to your fiance "til whenever I get bored or you aren't hot do we part". Have some self- respect

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Whitlam posted:

You'd have to find me first, and Australia is a way bigger hiding place than a truck.

Down under a truck.

Multilake
Dec 11, 2016

If you're in a jam, a crayon scrunched under your nose makes a good pretend moustache.

Olanphonia posted:

:sever: dude should know that you don't go into a marriage saying to your fiance "til whenever I get bored or you aren't hot do we part". Have some self- respect

Excactly. Sounds like a real charming gentleman

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

ArbitraryC posted:

is more political than it is a principle thing.

This is a weird way to put it because they could have a principled stance against guns & have it be unrelated the their politics. Or a person could be for guns and have it not relate to their politics. Both of these scenarios are common.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

“You’re it until you’re dead or I find someone better”, becomes the most popular marriage vow of the 21st century. Would you like to know more?

Multilake
Dec 11, 2016

[quote="„Barudak“" post="„477145806“"]
“You’re it until you’re dead or I find someone better”, becomes the most popular marriage vow of the 21st century. Would you like to know more?
[/quote]

Let me be part of your endless wisdom, please :allears:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Barudak posted:

Well, two out of three marriages ends in bug assaults.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Potluck is destroying the company. I'm in charge of fixing it. Help!

quote:

I work for a 38 person company, reporting directly to the owner. For the past 50 years, the company has hosted potluck dinners for Memorial Day and Thanksgiving. In the time I've worked there, the dinners have become a huge problem. Less and less people bring food or help with clean up. The people who DO participate have started to resent those who don't. By this past dinner, less than ten people brought food, there wasn't enough to go around and it seemed those who contributed were left hungry. Afterwards, there was a ton of angry interactions between employees so much that HR had to step in.

My boss has fond memories of the potluck from his childhood (he inherited the business from his family). But 30 years ago, there were a core group of employees' wives who were willing to spend a day cooking and cleaning so everyone else could enjoy it. No longer the case. He feels that keeping the potluck dinners increases morale and sense of community, and no data to the contrary influences him. He has dropped it on my shoulders to "fix" the potluck before Thanksgiving. HR won't step in as it's outside company hours.

My first suggestion was to have it catered instead, but he feels it has to be a potluck. In searching out why this happened, I spoke to several employees who didn't contribute at the potlucks and asked why. Universally, they just didn't see an issue with showing up and eating without bringing food.

I'm hoping to convince him for a happy medium with a main dish catered and sides/desserts provided by employees. However, based on his earlier comments, I think he wants me to play the bad guy and force everyone to contribute.

For the life of me I can't figure out how to professionally word potluck basics: If you don't bring food you can't eat. Bring enough for everyone to eat. Don't eat a larger quantity of food than you bring. Don't plan on having doggie bags. Everyone should help clean up.

I also resent that I have to treat adults like children. The company is still reeling over the drama of Susie baking a dozen cupcakes, Earl bringing nothing but eating six of the cupcakes and there not being enough food for Susie.

TL;dr: People aren't contributing to company potluck and boss wants me to fix it.

Edit: Just a little clarification for some things people are misinterpreting. This is NOT a mandatory event. It's posted in the social section of the online company bulletin board, but not even sent out as an invite officially. People are free to come or not, and plenty of people have other plans and don't come. But it's very well attended, so the event itself is obviously something people want.

Additionally, the venue and extras are paid for out of pocket by my boss. Sometimes the entertainment is just a face painter for the kids. but my first company pot luck was after a major acquisition and it was held at a pavilion at an amusement park and he paid for everyone's admission afterwards. The boss is contributing, he just is hung up on the potluck aspect for food and wants everyone else to play fair.

And as a side note, we aren't underpaid. I'm making significantly more than I was in a comparable position elsewhere, and the only people paid minimum wage are our college interns. Our turnover rate is half that of our lead competitor. This is just one sticking point office drama.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Buy a cardboard box and write “time machine” on the side. When he says it wont work, say “sp youre finally ready to think outside the box for the potluck?” and make your case for changes he dismissed.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Haifisch posted:

quote:

For the life of me I can't figure out how to professionally word potluck basics: If you don't bring food you can't eat. Bring enough for everyone to eat. Don't eat a larger quantity of food than you bring. Don't plan on having doggie bags. Everyone should help clean up.

"For those that are unfamiliar or may not have been to a potluck, no worries! The main thing is to bring some food if you want to eat some food, and if you don't cook it's ok to bring something store bought. Having people show up without food for others is a real issue in potlucks so that's the only thing to avoid. That's it, hope you have fun if you decide to attend"

How is that hard? I feel this person put more effort into the reddit post complaining about sending 1 email about regarding minor stuff at work than it would have taken to just write a simple email.

Like my last apartment complex had the apartment manager 'tactfully' emailing people to stop leaving dogshit on the sidewalk and to stop smoking weed at 4am and having fire alarms go off, she managed just fine lmao

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 7, 2017

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Congrats on being the guy who gets to destroy the boss's childhood memories.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If you want to eat, you need to bring a dish. How hard is that to say?

Just set up a clipboard with a list of of general ideas (meat, salad, bread, dessert, etc) with spaces for specific dishes and the name of whoever's bringing it around a week before the potluck

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Haifisch posted:

quote:

Universally, they just didn't see an issue with showing up and eating without bringing food.

Tell your boss to fire these people. They are parasites that are also sucking up company resources without contributing and should therefore be expelled from this colonial venture.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They finally killed the potluck at one of my jobs after doing the signup sheet. Less than 15 out of 100 committed, and all but one person signed up for desert, drinks, or eating utensils.

Any good business should know you need to cater to consumers changing taste.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I bet that company is selling paper.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Haifisch posted:

This is basically the free rider problem in action and should be in an econ textbook.

The solution is strong management, a planned potluck economy, and commanding the workforce to produce X number of meatballs, X pounds of noodles, and forcing an employee to work the bar with the point of a bayonnet.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

***Hugh and me.

"This is I..." doesn't sound correct.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Potluck is so easy to do. I guess it helps if you were raised in a church culture where it was a weekly/monthly thing though. Hell, there was an expectation that the younger and poorer members might not be able to provide much (or it might be their only good meal of the week), so the social pressure on them to bring much, if anything, was throttled back a lot. It was still expected that you'd help clean up if you were "freeloading" because of course you were.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If mankind cannot even abide by the laws of the potluck, there is no civilization, and no mankind

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I just think putting the onus on people who are showing up to a place they resent and wouldn't go to if they didn't need money is a very poor premise for staging a successful party.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
This company clearly needs to hire in catering from that lady who made the sushi lasagna potluck dish from a thousand pages back

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I dunno, I work in plant operations for a very large state facility with 40-50 other blue-collar schlubs, and we do potlucks all the time, there's always a massive amount of food. A bunch of the guys like to GRILL MEAT RARR and bring it in, a few dudes have wives that have time to make side dishes(but not many) and the rest of us buy pre-made items from Costco or the big grocery stores. If I'm feeling domestic I'll make a cake or cookies, it's pretty fast and I know that poo poo will get eaten.

I don't know why this company can't get their poo poo together.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I've literally never seen a potluck that didn't have like 10x more food than people could eat, it's impressive that such a small company could have such a bad sense of community.

The solution is obvious, potluck bouncers. Reject people at the venue doors if they come empty handed.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ive never been to a work potluck where there was remotely enough food and where the air isnt palpably filled with everyones desire to spontaneously develop pyrokineses with which to kill your coworkers.

We had a catered free fun day at one of my companies and they ended up canceling it when they went through the hour logs and found it was one of the single most requested day off, beating out several major holidays.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

Ive never been to a work potluck where there was remotely enough food and where the air isnt palpably filled with everyones desire to spontaneously develop pyrokineses with which to kill your coworkers.

This concept is so weird to me because in my experience several people who cook will bring in big ol pyrex dishes of dips/casseroles/sides that could feed like 10+ people and the lazy people will just bring in store bought crates of cookies, potato/macaroni salad, and fried chicken.

Because everyone brings more than they can individually eat most of the time there ends up being a ton of leftovers.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
A friend of mine organised a pizza lunch at his workplace, where everyone contributed $5 and he ordered in a bunch of pizzas with the money. Except this one person who insisted it was stupid and didn't want to take part and couldn't afford it and didn't like pizza and whatever.

Of course, as soon as the lunch was over and everyone went back to work, my friend caught this person red-handed trying to steal about half the leftovers

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nobody in my industry except the very tippy top who make their stay at home spouse or personal assitant do it or the very fresh out of school who think teambuilding exists will cook a meal for anyone else without direct compensation. Buy it predone? gently caress you, Im not shopping for you and taking time out of my life to come to this event in exchange of getting to eat whatever the cheapest store bought garbage youd thought Id want.

Every company I work at now boosts employee morale with giftcards/extra time off.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A potluck is a game of prisoners dilemna and the smart people know the best way to win is to never get caught.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I legit enjoy baking and everyone loves the stuff I bring tho so i am glad for potlucks.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Last time I had a work potluck I was assigned to bring soft drinks, though I don't drink soda, resented have to bring sugar water for a bunch of :btroll: coworkers, and was told emphatically that I couldn't trade off, so I went to Valu Market and bought several 2-liters of generic grapefruit soda in order to fulfill the requirements. Nobody touched it.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
When I was in grade school in California, the History lessons actually included a fair bit about the Pacific Coast natives, which was cool. It was from there that I learned we get the word potluck from the practice of potlach.

[quote="“Clark Nova”" post="“477150765”"]
Last time I had a work potluck I was assigned to bring soft drinks, though I don’t drink soda, resented have to bring sugar water for a bunch of :btroll: coworkers, and was told emphatically that I couldn’t trade off, so I went to Valu Market and bought several 2-liters of generic grapefruit soda in order to fulfill the requirements. Nobody touched it.
[/quote]

Whaaaaaaat?

Purple is the finest of the flavors. Shameful hambeasts.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Pvt.Scott posted:

When I was in grade school in California, the History lessons actually included a fair bit about the Pacific Coast natives, which was cool. It was from there that I learned we get the word potluck from the practice of potlach.

Whaaaaaaat?

Purple is the finest of the flavors. Shameful hambeasts.

I think you're thinking of grape soda. Grapefruit is usually what, pink? And horrible.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Clark Nova posted:

Last time I had a work potluck I was assigned to bring soft drinks, though I don't drink soda, resented have to bring sugar water for a bunch of :btroll: coworkers, and was told emphatically that I couldn't trade off, so I went to Valu Market and bought several 2-liters of generic grapefruit soda in order to fulfill the requirements. Nobody touched it.

dick move

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

ArbitraryC posted:

This concept is so weird to me because in my experience several people who cook will bring in big ol pyrex dishes of dips/casseroles/sides that could feed like 10+ people and the lazy people will just bring in store bought crates of cookies, potato/macaroni salad, and fried chicken.

Because everyone brings more than they can individually eat most of the time there ends up being a ton of leftovers.

Exactly. The only potluck I ever went to where people weren't completely zonked into a food coma afterward was a hippie-dippie potluck with a shitload of terrible organic/vegetarian food that was avoided scrupulously. Not that vegetarian food is all bad or anything, but much of the stuff was really unappealing.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Hey now, Squirt is legitimately good*

*disclaimer: I may or may not be a 90 year old man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Straight White Shark posted:

Hey now, Squirt is legitimately good*

*disclaimer: I may or may not be a 90 year old man

:yeah:

Legit my fav soda. Unfortunately it's hella hard to find where I'm at.