Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I knew I couldn't hang on forever, but I'll still be taking an interest in any future developments, whenever if they decide to make them happen.

Fixed that for you.

It's obvious at this point that MS is not serious about Windows Phone. They didn't even support the Win 10 Mobile launch. The last time MS put a complete effort with software, hardware, and marketing was the first Windows 7 update. The last time MS put in a moderate effort with software, and some hardware was Windows 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I still have my 950 even though it has screen burn in like my old 1020, mostly because i don't want to spend a bucket of money on a new phone, but also i have no idea what phones are cool and good to own anymore.

Still like Windows phone but :rip: this dumb abandoned platform

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

UHD posted:

I still have my 950 even though it has screen burn in like my old 1020, mostly because i don't want to spend a bucket of money on a new phone, but also i have no idea what phones are cool and good to own anymore.

Moto G5 Plus - $299 unlocked (less if you do lock screen adverts from Amazon). It's a frickin' great phone.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

UHD posted:

Lots of options, though caveat that this is all US-centric. As stated Moto G5+ for midrange Android, go for Amazon version as ads are not intrusive and are removable anyway, new Google Pixel 2 will be announced in a couple weeks so either that or a cheaper gen 1 Pixel will be great for high end Android (Pixel refurbs have been as low as ~$350-400 in the past month or two), iPhone just got price reduction for old models so a small phone (iPhone SE) is cheap, or an Apple refurbished (read "like new") iPhone 6S with 64 GB is just $429, or iPhone 7 is $100 off what it was a week ago (consensus seems to be iPhone 8 probably not worth a lot over the 7, fwiw). I've been using Android for almost literally a decade so too late for me to switch, but if I hadn't been doing that and wanted a new phone, I'd jump on that refurb iPhone 6S deal in an instant, that's crazy good value.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

UHD posted:

iPhone combines the utilitarian reliable functionality of WinPho with the modern app culture.

If you for some reason miss having updates or want to janitor your phone then Android garbage but, really, unless you pined for under the hood fuckery don't do that to yourself.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Partycat posted:

iPhone combines the utilitarian reliable functionality of WinPho with the modern app culture.

If you for some reason miss having updates or want to janitor your phone then Android garbage but, really, unless you pined for under the hood fuckery don't do that to yourself.

Honestly, iOS and Android are largely similar in terms of functionality now. Main differences, at least if we're talking Pixel, are iPhone has way better software support and resale value and marginally to noticeably better performance (despite the gains the Pixel has made here), while Android has some quality of life improvements and flexibility (default apps, waaay better notifications, ability to change launcher). iOS got more flexible with things like 3rd party keyboards, but there are still things normal people might want to change, not "under the hood fuckery", that iOS can't do and Android can. You can easily use either one right out of the box, though. It's also way way easier to gently caress up and buy a really bad Android phone than it is to buy a bad iPhone; get an iPhone from the last like 2.5 years and you'll be in ok shape for at least a while, buy the wrong Android from the last 6 months and it might be abandoned already.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Yeah, loving up and buying a bad android put me on the iPhone train for the foreseeable future.

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR

UHD posted:

They broke the one app I used daily with the last update. I dusted off an old Note3 to use Strava and downloaded Launcher10. If they don't fix the GPS issue by the time I find a daily driver, I'm out.

That said, every Android phone I've found doesn't really hit the marks I want; Cheap, decent camera and a new replaceable battery that hasn't been on a shelf for 2 years.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Should clarify - I'm not anticipating buying anything for the foreseeable future. The 950 still works, and I still enjoy using it (and don't give that much of a poo poo about apps), but I assume it'll develop Alzheimer's like my 1020 did so I'll need to replace it eventually. And there's no windows phone to replace it with.

That said when that time comes I'll probably get an iPhone. Expensive as poo poo even for the refurbs but I listen to my coworkers bitch about Android enough that I'm not certain I wanna join them. I'll pay a little more for regular reliable updates.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Get a 3GB/32GB device with Android Nougat or Oreo, install Launcher 10 and the Microsoft Apps app and you're golden. Microsoft even do a lock screen for Android that's better than the Windows Phone one.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I want a Nokia 8 hehe

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Ohrmazd posted:

I want a Nokia 8 hehe

Nokia 8 looks like a great device, stock android and fast updates. Nokia 3 (my dad's actual phone) shares some design with my old Lumia 925 (my mom's phone now) wich is nice.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Does anyone know of a simple way to transfer text messages from Windows to Android? The Xperia transfer app didn't seem to have the option. Everything else I've managed to transfer over, although getting my Live contacts to show anywhere outside of Outlook was a ballache I never want to experience again.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I did a brief search ~8 months ago when I went to Android, and wasn't really able to find anything.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
2017, and the fact we can't use bold, italics, or be able to export texts into a file blows my mind.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Does anyone know of a simple way to transfer text messages from Windows to Android? The Xperia transfer app didn't seem to have the option. Everything else I've managed to transfer over, although getting my Live contacts to show anywhere outside of Outlook was a ballache I never want to experience again.

I've used this with success, though I don't think this is the URL I originally saw it at. It doesn't appear easy but it actually is pretty straight forward.

https://medium.com/@matteocontrini/how-to-transfer-windows-phone-smses-to-android-6d5e941f3362

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

OldPueblo posted:

I've used this with success, though I don't think this is the URL I originally saw it at. It doesn't appear easy but it actually is pretty straight forward.

https://medium.com/@matteocontrini/how-to-transfer-windows-phone-smses-to-android-6d5e941f3362

Oh, yeah, I tried that, but the contacts+messages backup app didn't work on my 950.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Oh, yeah, I tried that, but the contacts+messages backup app didn't work on my 950.

Really? Screw it then, everything else is set up fine and having all of my stuff tied into my Live account hasn't been a hindrance so far. Also I changed my launcher to SquareHome 2 and it let me do terrible things that Windows never would:

Look at it. Look at that garish, awful mess. That's the kind of home screen that warms my heart. I want to frame it on my wall.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Really? Screw it then, everything else is set up fine and having all of my stuff tied into my Live account hasn't been a hindrance so far. Also I changed my launcher to SquareHome 2 and it let me do terrible things that Windows never would:

Look at it. Look at that garish, awful mess. That's the kind of home screen that warms my heart. I want to frame it on my wall.

Looks good. All I did was emulate the start screen I last used on my 950. Probably need to adjust it to what I'm currently using.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Strange, I came from a 950 myself. Welp!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Now that Groove is dying and the W10M Spotify app is total garbage I'm quitting. At least now I can re-use my charging plates with the latest iPhone. What's a good app to mimic Cortana's reminders that will work on iOS and a Windows PC? Cortana's not available in my store and I heard Microsoft To-Do is bad, but it doesn't look nearly what like the reviews are saying.

gently caress am I ever going to miss the little things like the keyboard cursor and even crippled non-US Cortana. Not going to touch Siri or iCloud; all Apple services will get ripped out like my iPad.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 7, 2017

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Watch me drop $1000 on an 8 Plus and MS announces their full-Windows-on-ARM with OneDrive-enabled Spotify a month later at half price :rolleyes:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Watch me drop $1000 on an 8 Plus and MS announces their full-Windows-on-ARM with OneDrive-enabled Spotify a month later at half price :rolleyes:

Not gonna happen. Go ahead and buy yourself a new phone. I wish I could go back to WP but unless that you hope for happen (and more apps come in handy), I'll stick with android.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Little things like no keyboard cursor movement will piss me off but after that the only losses will be Cortana, USB-C, the removable battery and weekday / weekend Quiet Hours, which is really not much left as competitive advantage. I'll miss the home screen too but to get that I have to use Android and it's a security/privacy tire fire.

Any opinions about Microsoft To-Do or should I look at another reminder app to get cross-platform task reminders? Cortana was nice because I could put it in context of a person but in practise I always used time.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 7, 2017

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

UHD posted:

Should clarify - I'm not anticipating buying anything for the foreseeable future. The 950 still works, and I still enjoy using it (and don't give that much of a poo poo about apps), but I assume it'll develop Alzheimer's like my 1020 did so I'll need to replace it eventually. And there's no windows phone to replace it with.

That said when that time comes I'll probably get an iPhone. Expensive as poo poo even for the refurbs but I listen to my coworkers bitch about Android enough that I'm not certain I wanna join them. I'll pay a little more for regular reliable updates.
I love my 950 (and Band 2, which thankfully still works and has an iOS app) but the last straw was when Spotify was presented as the successor to Groove yet the W10M Spotify app was absolute dogshit resigned to security-fixes-only maintenance mode. If Microsoft cared at all they would have been heaping money on Spotify to have the W10M app at feature/UI parity with Groove but instead they effectively dead-ended the ability to stream and discover new music on all their devices. What's even stranger is that Groove was being actively developed and debuting new discovery features as recently as last week!

Hopefully Spotify will gain OneDrive integration on iOS/Android and better local playback on Windows, but music is one of the three big things I need a phone to do and the app starts maybe once in five attempts on my 950. I have the space on OneDrive to upload my entire collection, but I shouldn't have to. My 950 cost me less than a third of what an 8 Plus costs and less than half after a new battery and repairing from a bad drop, but at least Apple actually wants me to use their products.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Everyone here talks about android security but that's only a real issue if you buy a lovely unknown brand for 50 bucks or you install garbage apps. If WP is safer is because no one gives a gently caress.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
WP is also safer because it's based on an OS that was designed to stand up to consumers clicking on strange links, rather than one that Linus deliberately keeps insecure to run on processing power from 1996. When WP was tested at pwn2own it held up far better than mere security through obscurity / market failure. Zero-click exploits for Android are cheap and plentiful and there's only so much Google & Copperhead can do.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I loved the "Willow" ringtone on my Nokia Lumia 800. Is there anywhere I would be able to download it? I'm really nostalgic about it.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Shumagorath posted:

Little things like no keyboard cursor movement will piss me off

Just hard press the keyboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlcCgiYF2Fs

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

CNET posted:

Windows 10 Mobile gets its final death sentence

No more new features, no more hardware -- the head of Microsoft's Windows division says Windows 10 Mobile will no longer be "a focus" for the company.

Bill Gates has given up his Windows phone. HP is pulling production of its flagship Windows handset. Now Microsoft has finally seen the writing on the wall -- there aren't enough people using Windows 10 Mobile or enough apps to make it viable.

Corporate vice president of Windows 10 and head of Microsoft's "PC-Tablet-Phone" division, Joe Belfiore, said on Twitter Sunday that Microsoft will continue to support Windows 10 Mobile with bug fixes and security updates, but new features and hardware are no longer front and centre.

I'm one of those saps that have been with Windows Phone since the Samsung Focus days. Have a 1520 from two years ago and what kept me has been the camera and Groove Music. Time to save up for a new phone. Wonder what happens to the actual poo poo I bought off of Groove Music?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Rip Testes posted:

I'm one of those saps that have been with Windows Phone since the Samsung Focus days. Have a 1520 from two years ago and what kept me has been the camera and Groove Music. Time to save up for a new phone. Wonder what happens to the actual poo poo I bought off of Groove Music?

You've got until the end of the year to download any music you purchased.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4046109/groove-music-and-spotify-faq

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

R.I.P. Windows Phone

You can always use Square Home 2 on Android to keep the memories.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Rip my squares :smith:

My parents are still on 640s, we'll see how long those hold up

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

My mom is using my 925, my dad got a shiny Nokia 3. I'll just install a launcher for my mom on her next android phone because I'm wondering for how long is going MS to keep the app servers for WP 8.1 and older versions.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Anybody who wants a good small brick of a phone like the Nokia 900 series, I can't recommend the Sony xz1 compact enough. 720p screen + sd835 + 2700mAh battery = 104 hours of stand by time.

It's amazing.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Sony compact series always have been great. Good enough screen (4.7") for those who don't want a phablet and great performance. Add a good camera and you have a long lasting phone.

VVV 4Gb RAM and a SD835 with only 720p to work with is exactly a powerhouse. Stop editing! :argh:

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 9, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Edit: whoops, I thought that said the XA1, which is what I went with. But that's also good, and despite being a much cheaper phone it easily puts the performance of the 950 to shame and has a premium design. A good choice if you don't want to pay XZ1 prices.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 9, 2017

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Lol, got customer service to cancel my groove subscription and give me a refund, and in the process they also cancelled 1/2 of my other Microsoft services. :(

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Rip my squares :smith:

My parents are still on 640s, we'll see how long those hold up
I've been using a Nokia 820 for the last four years. :corsair:

Unfortunately just last week the micro-USB port just largely gave up. It'll only connect if I press/tug down hard on the USB cable, which probably isn't improving the port's condition in any way and makes recharging the battery practically impossible. I'm considering taking it to a phone shop and asking if they can replace the port for various reasons, but I kind of suspect that I'd better start looking for a cheapish Android phone. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Sombrerotron posted:

I've been using a Nokia 820 for the last four years. :corsair:

Unfortunately just last week the micro-USB port just largely gave up. It'll only connect if I press/tug down hard on the USB cable, which probably isn't improving the port's condition in any way and makes recharging the battery practically impossible. I'm considering taking it to a phone shop and asking if they can replace the port for various reasons, but I kind of suspect that I'd better start looking for a cheapish Android phone. :sigh:

Get a Nokia. Cheapish android phones tend to have awful android skins while newer nokia phones are clean of poo poo with fast OS updates.