Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!

smenj posted:

Coming back a bit late to respond to this, but it's basically as Some Numbers said. I'm aware the dialogue changes - it's just that that dialogue isn't all that important and is literally like a line or two with him saying he's glad they came and not much else. There's no real point going out of your way to bring them. Similarly for Renne. Compared to the other two fights I mentioned where you miss entire chunks of backstory if you don't bring the right characters along, it's practically nothing at all.

As regards that Trails to Zero stuff, I'm just gonna desperately convince myself that it's nothing so I don't get excited, but it won't work, I'm sure.

It's a call forward to CS2 Bleublanc and Olivier and if you really pay attention, 3rd, Zero and CS3 Mostly Renne, but CS3 reveals that Tita saw Renne presumably going off to Jenis (the outfit is similar) before she went to Thors

I mean, inside the game itself, it's not much, yeah. It really is minuscule.

Tae posted:

Everyone has glasses in CS3, even Aurelia

I actually just got around to this and this scene and the one following in the baths is great

Koguma fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Everyone has glasses in CS3, even Aurelia

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
get ready to shell out big if you want a pc that can run zwei 2. you're gonna need a copy of windows 7 to play this poo poo

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

The Colonel posted:

get ready to shell out big if you want a pc that can run zwei 2. you're gonna need a copy of windows 7 to play this poo poo

An old Xeon of all things is a strange way of specing things. Wonder if it's some computer at Xseed that was nice 10 years ago.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Considering the game originally came out in *checks* 2008, might be a cheeky way of acknowledging that. Or even just actual specs Falcom had on file from that time I suppose.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

a whole gig of ram?? these people are crazy

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Good my 6 year old desktop can play it

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
5 gigs? That's going to take me a decent chunk of the day to download! (I wish I was joking.)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
CS3: Don't bother with romance. Your choices don't matter, Alisha is the only support that results in a kiss, Towa is friend zoned even harder

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Tae posted:

CS3: Don't bother with romance. Your choices don't matter, Alisha is the only support that results in a kiss, Towa is friend zoned even harder

wow no buy

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

good

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Tae posted:

Goddammit.

I mean it makes sense, but still.

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!
Laura gives us a hand-holding. It's a start.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

this is all Angelica's fault

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Tae posted:

What about Best Girl Woman Sara?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tae posted:

[quote="“MotU”" post="“477145334”"]
wow no buy
[/quote]

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Got all the Gambler Jack novels in SC and still missed out on the weapon because the final step is even more obscure than the one needed to collect all the drat books.

I know the weapons themselves are hardly worth the trouble, but still, who comes up with this poo poo?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Tae posted:

I'm okay with this.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Oxxidation posted:

Got all the Gambler Jack novels in SC and still missed out on the weapon because the final step is even more obscure than the one needed to collect all the drat books.

I know the weapons themselves are hardly worth the trouble, but still, who comes up with this poo poo?
Book collecting in the Trails series is easily the worst of the missable content; it's what comes closest to the type of BS side content you'd see in a Tales of game. At least with the quests you're not really expected to get full BP/AP and usually have a list of all the main ones you need to get, and you can usually find the hidden ones by just simply talking to folks in whatever area you're in.

I want to say it was more reasonable in Cold Steel because you could just straight up buy the books at the end but I don't really remember the specifics.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Never really cared about the weapon rewards for the books, the real bummer is they hide all this cool lore foreshadowing behind an extremely easy to miss fetch quest across the games.

You miss out on cool Carnelia/Toval foreshadowing, Calvard foreshadowing and CS3 new character foreshadowing.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Most of the previous books are easily available in whatever sequel they have. Carnelia in its entirety is available right at the start of 3rd, for example.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Terper posted:

Most of the previous books are easily available in whatever sequel they have. Carnelia in its entirety is available right at the start of 3rd, for example.

And it was available in the Erebonian embassy in SC

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

That's besides the point!!!

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Levantine posted:

What about Best Girl Woman Sara?

We must know.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zaggitz posted:

Never really cared about the weapon rewards for the books, the real bummer is they hide all this cool lore foreshadowing behind an extremely easy to miss fetch quest across the games.

You miss out on cool Carnelia/Toval foreshadowing, Calvard foreshadowing and CS3 new character foreshadowing.

I don't read the books anyway because the writing in them is very bad.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Oxxidation posted:

I want to disagree, but I cant. Still worth it to read em all once.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Tae posted:

I'm personally fine with this. Also, why the shock? Shouldn't you be used to that by now? I mean, (slight CS2 spoilers) of all the final bonding events, only Alisa, Laura and Emma actually get a confession and only Alisa and Rean end up kissing. All Towa got was an opportunity to give Rean an affectionate embrace and semi-headpat. CS3 merely continues the trend the previous games already set in motion.

The Cold Steel games allow you to toy around with a couple of what-if scenarios for the sake of humoring you, but if you pay attention to the differences between the various final bonding events, they're not shy about showing you which option's the default one.

Accept it now: Towa is reserved for Angelica, who's a better lover than Rean could ever hope to be. :glomp:

(disclaimer: if CS3 somehow decided to kill off Angelica, don't tell me, let me wallow in my delusions for a year or two :P )

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

Do you like anything in these games?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

I like to imagine the actual books are carefully woven, rich tales filled with expressive language and deep philosophical underpinnings while what we the players read are just the cliffnotes version for brevity's sake.

Or alternatively the books are that universe's versions of trashy anime-esque Light Novels.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Some Numbers posted:

And it was available in the Erebonian embassy in SC

It was also available for peanuts in various stores in Cold Steel 1, as were the Gambler Jack episodes in CS2. Don't know for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if Red Moon Rose was more easily available in CS3, what with Roselia being an actual character in that game.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

MythosDragon posted:

I want to disagree, but I cant. Still worth it to read em all once.

They are trashy light novels so part of it is intentional. Carnelia gets lampshaded a bunch in the Cold Steel games especially at the end of CS1 where Toval just straight scolds the author of the book for all its weird inaccuracies.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Playing through CS1, Chapter 5, but are the events of the trade conference shown in the Crossbell games?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yes.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

Playing through CS1, Chapter 5, but are the events of the trade conference shown in the Crossbell games?

When Cold Steel refers to something occurring in Crossbell, just assume it's onscreen in Zero or Azure.

This is especially true in CS2.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

GrandpaPants posted:

Ao no Kiseki starts with the trade conference.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Do you like anything in these games?

The good parts, mostly.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Zaggitz posted:

They are trashy light novels so part of it is intentional. Carnelia gets lampshaded a bunch in the Cold Steel games especially at the end of CS1 where Toval just straight scolds the author of the book for all its weird inaccuracies.

I loved that part, it made me love Toval much more than I would have considering I'd known him for 6 years at that point.

The more straightforward the writing is, the better for me. I just cant stand how theyre 95% descriptive text and 5% dialogue, and I'm a Garghav Veteran where they really were written terribly inline with the bandai localization.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Erpy posted:

I'm personally fine with this. Also, why the shock? Shouldn't you be used to that by now? I mean, (slight CS2 spoilers) of all the final bonding events, only Alisa, Laura and Emma actually get a confession and only Alisa and Rean end up kissing. All Towa got was an opportunity to give Rean an affectionate embrace and semi-headpat. CS3 merely continues the trend the previous games already set in motion.

The Cold Steel games allow you to toy around with a couple of what-if scenarios for the sake of humoring you, but if you pay attention to the differences between the various final bonding events, they're not shy about showing you which option's the default one.

i definitely did not get the impression that the end of Rean/Fie was platonic affection, specifically the part where it pans away after they embrace and Rean says "oh god how much did Beryl see" the next day. Or, you know, the part where she more or less says "I don't know how I feel about you because you're not like a brother" and Rean says "I feel the same way".

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Erpy posted:

Accept it now: Towa is reserved for Angelica, who's a better lover than Rean could ever hope to be. :glomp:

(disclaimer: if CS3 somehow decided to kill off Angelica, don't tell me, let me wallow in my delusions for a year or two :P )

I'm not really fine with it, but only on the basis that it feels like they're not willing to commit to either approach. They should either just stick with Alisa as a canon pairing or go all the way and make all of the romance options equally canon. This just feels half-hearted and lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Its obviously a bad match for the worlds longest interconnected game series where we have to see these people again in future installments. But I trust Falcom to either do what must be done, or somehow use it well.