Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Or in some cases, arguing that X is a good thing. They don't deny that the police shot Tamir Rice, they argue that he deserved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

To be honest I wholly reject the concept of tolerance as a virtue.

Tolerance is what you do when you have to. When you lack the ability to change something right this minute.

But the application of it to social issues is loving stupid. No you shouldn't tolerate people of other races, or other sexualities, or other nationalities, you should not have to tolerate them, because you should see nothing wrong with them to begin with and not have a drive to change them. Promoting tolerance is conceding that it's fine to want to eliminate those things as long as you don't act on it. And gently caress no it isn't fine. And it certainly isn't virtuous to set out with the idiotic belief that not acting when you feel it is vital to act, is a good thing. To set out with the intent of going up to abhorrent people and saying "hey, I know you think that black people are inherently inferior but I'm sure we can have a conversation like polite upstanding adults"

That's loving stupidity and culpability, not virtue.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah it's such a bizarre concept. i don't "tolerate" black people or muslims or women or gay people or trans people i just see them as my fellow human beings.

it's especially annoying pretending tolerance is a virtue for ideas. like the whole thing they do where they go "you're being intolerant of conservatives". gently caress yeah i am your guys' ideas are utter poo poo and only dumbasses and monsters think they're cool and good.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

To be honest I wholly reject the concept of tolerance as a virtue.

Tolerance is what you do when you have to. When you lack the ability to change something right this minute.

But the application of it to social issues is loving stupid. No you shouldn't tolerate people of other races, or other sexualities, or other nationalities, you should not have to tolerate them, because you should see nothing wrong with them to begin with and not have a drive to change them. Promoting tolerance is conceding that it's fine to want to eliminate those things as long as you don't act on it. And gently caress no it isn't fine. And it certainly isn't virtuous to set out with the idiotic belief that not acting when you feel it is vital to act, is a good thing. To set out with the intent of going up to abhorrent people and saying "hey, I know you think that black people are inherently inferior but I'm sure we can have a conversation like polite upstanding adults"

That's loving stupidity and culpability, not virtue.

I'm with you almost all the way. Except that I also dislike the idea of "virtue." Consequentialism forever woooo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Virtue as in "something you should try to do" I'm not a virtue ethicist.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Okay, we're cool then.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Goon Danton posted:

I'm with you almost all the way. Except that I also dislike the idea of "virtue." Consequentialism forever woooo

woooooooo

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Who What Now posted:

I still don't know how you guys couldn't tell this dork that looks like the Ur College Republican was an idiot. It's like looking at a clown and assuming it wont try and consume your flesh at the first opportunity.

Your right. gently caress it. i have been a nazi/bigot enabler for the longest time. gently caress AA, gently caress Thunderfoot, gently caress TheReportofTheWeek, gently caress Sam Harris, gently caress PewDiePie. gently caress anyone that posts on /pol. You have been really mean to me which is cool considering 50 percent of the loving things I have said. You win, I will think carefully for once before posting some stupid poo poo.

Midig fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 8, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Is this an appropriate venue to discuss Sartre's Anti-Semite and Jew? It was being quoted around the Trump thread a lot in DnD so I went out and got a copy. This...might be the most uneven text I've ever read. Some parts are highly diagnostic of the precise internal mental world of people in the alt-right, but a lot of it is profoundly, horrifyingly ignorant. The philosopher who wrote the intro does a good job of emphasizing "sartre did no research before writing this text".

I tried to talk about it in the general philosophy thread and apparently that was enough to kill it.

Yeah, his reading of bigots is excellent and his discussion of Jews is extremely poor to the point of offensiveness. He's trying to use history to illustrate his principles, which involves a certain callousness that makes the book unpleasant to read. And it's obvious he knew more antisemites than Jews, or at least that the antisemites were more open with him.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

It's kind of hard to blame him for antisemites being open around him, on account of him having lived through WWII in Nazi-occupied Paris :ssh:.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Midig posted:

Your right. gently caress it. i have been a nazi/bigot enabler for the longest time. gently caress AA, gently caress Thunderfoot, gently caress TheReportofTheWeek, gently caress Sam Harris, gently caress PewDiePie. gently caress anyone that posts on /pol. You have been really mean to me which is cool considering 50 percent of the loving things I have said. You win, I will think carefully for once before posting some stupid poo poo.

I respect this, and will endeavour on my end to be less of a poo poo toward you.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Mr Interweb posted:

Reading that Milo article makes me wonder how much right-wing subterfuge is going on at otherwise "liberal" outlets. The Young Turks hired some douchebag reporter who used to work for Vice, but was a pretty blatant (not even secretive) alt-righter.

Who are you talking about specifically? I know they recently hired a few reporters.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

nickmeister posted:

Who are you talking about specifically? I know they recently hired a few reporters.

Also curious. I watch TYT Politics (their reporting arm) on the reg, and I can't say I've seen anything close to those sentiments floating around.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I respect this, and will endeavour on my end to be less of a poo poo toward you.

Midig (to talk about him like he's not able to read this) is actually a pretty reasonable human being; a little bit steeped in some bad poo poo but he's remarkably able to come around on it if he's in the wrong.

We'll make a success story out of him yet.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Somfin posted:

Midig (to talk about him like he's not able to read this) is actually a pretty reasonable human being; a little bit steeped in some bad poo poo but he's remarkably able to come around on it if he's in the wrong.

We'll make a success story out of him yet.

I’m just not used to reasonability.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

nickmeister posted:

It was this guy:

http://www.complex.com/life/2017/06/maxine-waters-shoves-reporter-twitter-roast

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I may have asked a few questions in this and other D&D threads about Ian Miles Cheong, wondering how someone who was an opponent of Gamergate and a target of Gamergate harassment could make such an abrupt U-turn into being a big supporter of alt-right bullshit on Twitter.

He didn't. I was thinking of Arthur Chu this whole time. :hurr:

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

IMC was also a big anti-GG figure, until he went haywire for some reason and became a big rationalist

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Was it IMC that took a hard right turn because people were making fun of Mass effect? Or was that some other dick?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

IMC was always creepy and predatory in the same way that the Devin Faraci was. Making lip service to feminist buzzwords didn't cause people to forgive his immense creepiness. This eventually reached a breaking point when he got mad at a Witcher 3 review.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rumda posted:

Was it IMC that took a hard right turn because people were making fun of Mass effect? Or was that some other dick?

I think it was one of The Witcher games but yeah, that's him, The Antman. Such a weird fucker.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

You know, there are times when I think Clinton and that mad lawyer may have had a point.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

forkboy84 posted:

I think it was one of The Witcher games but yeah, that's him, The Antman. Such a weird fucker.

I've seen the ant thing several times but with no context. Would you mind elaborating?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Before Witcher 3, IMC mentioned he was "leaving" the "SJW" movement or something because he didn't like how some of them talked about their opponents. Before anti-SJWs became full-on Neo Nazis, I kinda saw his point. Of course, once someone was like, "Huh, it's, like, ALL white people in this game" he totally flipped his poo poo.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Kemper Boyd posted:

I've seen the ant thing several times but with no context. Would you mind elaborating?

He mentioned several times on Twitter that his house has been infested with ants for years, to the point he wakes up covered in dead ones. When people suggested some methods of getting rid of them he waved them off as too expensive (despite people digging up he's been evading taxes via Panama for years).

Ant Man is too lazy to sort out a problem hr claims causes him great distress.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nickmeister posted:

Before Witcher 3, IMC mentioned he was "leaving" the "SJW" movement or something because he didn't like how some of them talked about their opponents. Before anti-SJWs became full-on Neo Nazis, I kinda saw his point. Of course, once someone was like, "Huh, it's, like, ALL white people in this game" he totally flipped his poo poo.

Same, I sorta agreed for him for awhile in the early days, hell I talked with him a few times, now he just bends over backwards for nazis.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 8, 2017

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
IMC left the SJW movement because none of the women he was trying to prey on wanted anything to do with him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Varam posted:

IMC left the SJW movement because none of the women he was trying to prey on wanted anything to do with him.

Maybe but that wouldn't surprise me.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

SteelMentor posted:

He mentioned several times on Twitter that his house has been infested with ants for years, to the point he wakes up covered in dead ones. When people suggested some methods of getting rid of them he waved them off as too expensive (despite people digging up he's been evading taxes via Panama for years).

Ant Man is too lazy to sort out a problem hr claims causes him great distress.

Hey, if all your money is tied up in a Panamanian banking scheme, the $4 it takes to buy some ant bait can feel really daunting, okay?

:psyduck:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Midig posted:

I'll cop to being completely unreasonable to you, and unnecessarily harsh and making numerous mocking and cruel jokes towards you, and that you didn't deserve them. I'm sorry. I had meant for them to be jokes, but it would be hypocritical of me to hide behind that defense. They were wrong and out of line. I will endeavor to treat you more fairly from now on.

I still stand by my statements that that food reviewing nerd looks exactly like the type of villain you'd find in an 80's teen coming of age movie, though. Dude looks like he closes down youth centers to get his jollies.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 8, 2017

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Well, now we at least got to the bottom of whether or not love can blossom on the battlefield.

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET

Midig posted:

(I'm pretty sure I'm one of the people who has been really mean to you. Sorry for doing that, my praxis is not great.)

Can I suggest paying it forward by figuring out which of your friends are pushing this stuff, then convincing them it's bull? I'm guessing you participate in forums, chatrooms, or video games where some of this stuff is popular, so you probably have some friends who relay it to you.

If you take this advice and they don't want to take you seriously, cut things off completely imho. I cleaned house a while back and found out some friends of mine who were pushing nazi stuff were more attached to the nazi stuff than they were to me so I said gently caress that and dropped contact. Dropping my nazi friend group in favor of a non-nazi friend group to play video games and shoot the poo poo was a really good decision that made my life way better.

A lot of people say not to do this, because if you're friends then you have an in with them, but honestly I've spent a lot of time online trying to win souls and i think your chances would be super slim with anybody who doesn't care enough to hear you out your concerns. most of the people I found who were committed to this stuff (1) have absorbed a ton of memes that basically makes deprogramming them infeasible (like "if you're not arguing from an apathetic POV, you're being irrational") (2) have the empathy level of a two year old and will act like you're a space alien if you posit that human beings other than them have feelings.

E: forgot to mention: my other experience is that by being friends with nazis when they knew i disagreed, i became One of the Good Ones in their discussions. also, because I was tolerating them, they assumed their views weren't that non-mainstream. if you stay friends with them, they might goodoneize you too, so imho definitely don't be nice or civil if they're going to use your niceness or civility rhetorically.

Krotera fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 9, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

murphyslaw posted:

Well, now we at least got to the bottom of whether or not love can blossom on the battlefield.

The problem was never really if it could but if it would, when you think about it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I am not sure, but I think Midig might be being sarcastic here.

That said, I can understand trying to change peoples points of view, even if they are Conservatives or conservatives the fact is that we all have stuff in our lives that helped to make us, and a lot of people aren't paying too much attention to what they believe.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Josef bugman posted:

I am not sure, but I think Midig might be being sarcastic here.

That said, I can understand trying to change peoples points of view, even if they are Conservatives or conservatives the fact is that we all have stuff in our lives that helped to make us, and a lot of people aren't paying too much attention to what they believe.

Midig has come around on other stuff before. I believe in him.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
I have a circle of friends with one guy that comes in now and then who I used to be friends with from childhood who's been sliding pretty deep into the meme hole for a number of years now. Tried talking to him a number of times but I fear it's a lost cause. He's a pretty typical underachiever gamer dude whose political awakening was when GG was in full swing. That tantrum really hosed a lot of people in the head it seems.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

murphyslaw posted:

I have a circle of friends with one guy that comes in now and then who I used to be friends with from childhood who's been sliding pretty deep into the meme hole for a number of years now. Tried talking to him a number of times but I fear it's a lost cause. He's a pretty typical underachiever gamer dude whose political awakening was when GG was in full swing. That tantrum really hosed a lot of people in the head it seems.

The codephrase I've found that kicks a lot of guys out of their die-on-this-hill mentality is "I know you're smart, so I know you can understand where I'm coming from." A lot of hard-right rhetoric emphasises how condescending and holier-than-thou the be-nice-to-people crowd can be, and a lot of indoctrinated guys (because it is mostly guys) pick up on that and learn to shut their thinking down when they encounter it. Watch Sargon for a few minutes when he's in full flow and you can hear this point repeated over and over- don't listen to them, don't read them, mock them instead, they want to take away your toys because they think they know better, don't listen. You just have to shift things. These guys are gamers. They're used to, if not addicted to, smashing their faces against problems until they understand the problem and can best it. If you set up "see things from my point of view" as a problem for them to solve- and your relationship is good enough that they want to play along- you better fuckin' believe they'll get there.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
It's worth a shot at least, next time I see him I'll try it out.

E: Thanks, by the way.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

lmao is everyone seriously rounding on loving reviewbrah of all people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Yeah, and it seems to be based on a screenshot that we can't corroborate.

• Locked thread