Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kale posted:

I'm finding it less and less easy to sympathize with Americans lately too, like they elected this utter shitstain on humanity and kind of have to own it if it leads to war in particular
hey fuckhead if you've not been paying attention, there's kinda been a huge amount of factors manipulating aspects of the political landscape for a long time in the US, culminating in a whole lot of bad poo poo happening at once in 2016, from Citizens United allowing billionaires to control politicians to the incredibly wide-scope russian infiltration across social media, and let's not even get into fox news, not everyone in the US wanted this. I would say pretty definitively most people did not want this. But there's multiple factors still in play including russia, fox, and republicans brazenly lying in the face of evidence. Like there are a certain number of people in the US who have been brainwashed into believing in cheeto benito, but massive, systematic voter suppression campaigns and gerrymandering have significantly hindered democratic progress as well. So please don't blame the majority for what has been slowly moved towards a minority bias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tibalt posted:

So, like, Congress still has to declare war, right? Donald Trump can't nuke NK based on the war on terror, right?

He doesn't need to formally declare war to nuke something.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

enraged_camel posted:

Calm before the storm! It all makes sense now!

I've found this rhetoric particularly lovely as I have a cat-2 hurricane bearing down on my exact location

Kale
May 14, 2010

empty whippet box posted:

Why the gently caress would you sympathize with americans, we are loving horrible.

I mean I guess I have a lot of patience and know it wasn't everybody but at the same time it was enough under the current electoral system and he's just been making this whole year a roller coaster I never felt like getting on in the first place and had enough of really early in the year already. Also wow looks like I've finally been removed from that crazy list in the OP. Like from apparent Nazi sympathizer :stare: and ultra racist :stare: and bad faith poster off of one misunderstanding a few months back to I guess okay guy now. Feels good, there never really were hard feelings at all because I'd like to think it's not in my nature to hold any grudges but still feels good to see that happen. Seems like a lot of people that were lumped into that list are off it now too :unsmith:

Kale fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 7, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Tibalt posted:

So, like, Congress still has to declare war, right? Donald Trump can't nuke NK based on the war on terror, right?

Congress doesn't need to formally declare war, but they do need to vote to authorize it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Tibalt posted:

lol, no. We haven't declared war since the 40s.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

You really think he'd stop and ask Congress's permission? He'd do it, forget he did it five minutes later, then get shocked and order more strikes when he hears word of a nuclear explosion in Pyongyang.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Yeah if you want to blame someone for all this, blame the Aussies for not murdering Rupert Murdoch when they had the chance.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Tibalt posted:

I'm sure Rand Paul will be very concerned.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Pakled posted:

Congress doesn't need to formally declare war, but they do need to vote to authorize it.

Not to deliver a nuclear strike, but that really should only happen in the case of imminent threat which the United States is not at all under right now and I pray to god if he tried to pull would lead to intervention by the Joint Chiefs and a swift 25thing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Tibalt posted:

lol gently caress no and gently caress yes. executive action or some poo poo.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Despite all this war rhetoric, we aren't really moving any significant number of troops to SK, and everyone knows that.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Stairmaster posted:

lol, no. We haven't declared war since the 40s.

The War Powers resolution curtails the President's ability to start a war unilaterally - Afghanistan and Iraq still had to be authorized by congress, which might as well be the same thing as declaring war.

Trump can start poo poo but it also has to be over within 60 days or else Congress can pull the plug.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Zophar posted:

Trump can start poo poo but it also has to be over within 60 days or else Congress can pull the plug.
find the loophole

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Technically speaking, nobody can refuse a nuclear strike order from the President but I hope to God they will anyway, at least long enough for Pence and the Cabinet to get their poo poo together and 25 him.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

hey fuckhead if you've not been paying attention, there's kinda been a huge amount of factors manipulating aspects of the political landscape for a long time in the US, culminating in a whole lot of bad poo poo happening at once in 2016, from Citizens United allowing billionaires to control politicians to the incredibly wide-scope russian infiltration across social media, and let's not even get into fox news, not everyone in the US wanted this. I would say pretty definitively most people did not want this. But there's multiple factors still in play including russia, fox, and republicans brazenly lying in the face of evidence. Like there are a certain number of people in the US who have been brainwashed into believing in cheeto benito, but massive, systematic voter suppression campaigns and gerrymandering have significantly hindered democratic progress as well. So please don't blame the majority for what has been slowly moved towards a minority bias.

I'm aware of all this but like I said it's getting less and less easy to sympathize as time wears on and he's allowed to stay in office without any apparent repercussions for his ceaseless poo poo disturbing all the same. It's a whole different story if Mueller comes out and confirms what many suspect in widespread electoral fraud though and he was never legitimately elected by even the electoral college in the first place. I find myself waffling between being amused by his again ceaseless buffoonery, bitching and saber rattling (weeks where the late night shows are all on typically) and being thoroughly exhausted by it all and wishing they'd just usher him out of office so that things can decelerate at least a touch.

Kale fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 7, 2017

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.
Is it complicated by the fact that we are still technically at war with North Korea? There was a ceasefire, not a peace agreement.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

NickBlasta posted:

Is it complicated by the fact that we are still technically at war with North Korea? There was a ceasefire, not a peace agreement.

Yeah, we don't have to create new medals

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

NickBlasta posted:

We never declared war in Korea.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is this about his latest tweet?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Kale posted:

I'm aware of all this but like I said it's getting less and less easy to sympathize as time wears on and he's allowed to stay in office without any apparent repercussions for his ceaseless poo poo disturbing all the same. It's a whole different story if Mueller comes out and confirms what many suspect in widespread electoral fraud though and he was never legitimately elected by even the electoral college in the first place.

Electoral fraud probably isn't on the table.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kale posted:

Not to deliver a nuclear strike, but that really should only happen in the case of imminent threat which the United States is not at all under right now and I pray to god if he tried to pull would lead to intervention by the Joint Chiefs and a swift 25thing.

A bullet to the head from the nearest secret service agent would do. There isn't anyone that he hasn't tried or have screwed over including his own protection detail.

Kale
May 14, 2010

oohhboy posted:

A bullet to the head from the nearest secret service agent would do. There isn't anyone that he hasn't tried or have screwed over including his own protection detail.

A year and a half ago when he was campaigning and my family was talking about someone shooting him dead I was against it because I just can't sanction murder of another human being under just about any condition, but since he took office it's been hard to register him as a human being and the benefits of ushering him off this mortal coil seem to vastly outweigh any potential drawbacks or moral concerns. If it seemed like he gave a remote gently caress about anything at all besides himself it might be different but I just see no redeeming human qualities or virtues in Trump whatsoever. Not even an inkling of one. If that's what it has to come too it's just kind of like :shrug: at this point for me.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

oohhboy posted:

Not without precedent, several emperors were assassinated by or with the aid of the Praetorian Guard.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Kale posted:

I'm aware of all this but like I said it's getting less and less easy to sympathize as time wears on and he's allowed to stay in office without any apparent repercussions for his ceaseless poo poo disturbing all the same. It's a whole different story if Mueller comes out and confirms what many suspect in widespread electoral fraud though and he was never legitimately elected by even the electoral college in the first place. I find myself waffling between being amused by his again ceaseless buffoonery, bitching and saber rattling (weeks where the late night shows are all on typically) and being thoroughly exhausted by it all and wishing they'd just usher him out of office so that things can decelerate at least a touch.

I'm an American, I didn't vote for him, and I cannot overstated my hatred for him.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Kale posted:

I'm aware of all this but like I said it's getting less and less easy to sympathize as time wears on and he's allowed to stay in office without any apparent repercussions for his ceaseless poo poo disturbing all the same. It's a whole different story if Mueller comes out and confirms what many suspect in widespread electoral fraud though and he was never legitimately elected by even the electoral college in the first place.

Its was the perfect (poo poo) storm that got Trump elected. Outside influence, voter suppression, gerrymandering, Twitter and Facebook being complacent in letting their social media platforms be used to influence voters, emails being brought up a week before the vote, etc...

I just cant blame the people as a whole because its clear the majority are not happy with the way things are going and, due to years of fuckery at the top levels, are doing all they can to make sure things dont go completely insane.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

oohhboy posted:

"The Pharaoh suddenly died..!"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Kale posted:

A year and a half ago when he was campaigning and my family was talking about someone shooting him dead I was against it because I just can't sanction murder of another human being under just about any condition, but since he took office it's been hard to register him as a human being and the benefits of ushering him off this mortal coil seem to vastly outweigh any potential drawbacks or moral concerns. If it seemed like he gave a remote gently caress about anything at all besides himself it might be different but I just see no redeeming human qualities or virtues in Trump whatsoever. Not even an inkling of one. If that's what it has to come too it's just kind of like :shrug: at this point for me.

I still think Pence would govern more competently, i.e. do more damage.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Voyager I posted:

I'm an American, I didn't vote for him, and I cannot overstated my hatred for him.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah but smart people knew even in 1780 that the North was going to overtake the South in importance before long.

More like the common people in Virginia knew that if they joined the south, they'd bare the brunt of the force of the North being directly next to D.C. But the electorate and the elite of that state were won over by promises of power and took it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I would not shed one tear for him if someone did take him out. He's possibly going to get billions killed, at the very least millions due to healthcare fuckery and pollution and not caring about Puerto Rico or global warming.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Well hold on now, we haven't gotten in a nuclear war yet.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Its was the perfect (poo poo) storm that got Trump elected. Outside influence, voter suppression, gerrymandering, Twitter and Facebook being complacent in letting their social media platforms be used to influence voters, emails being brought up a week before the vote, etc...

I just cant blame the people as a whole because its clear the majority are not happy with the way things are going and, due to years of fuckery at the top levels, are doing all they can to make sure things dont go completely insane.

That 67% strong disapproval rating that just came out is pretty damning yeah. I think whatever remaining sympathies I have will go out the window if the GOP holds or gains on it's current majorities in 2018 though cause there's a real viable chance to make a big statement to the world there that the American public is correcting it's mistake and truly not okay with all of this. If the GOP gets just utterly crushed consider my faith in America restored though.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It's a tough case of the old the devil you know situation, but I really would just like an end to the ceaseless blithering and moaning. I just don't see Pence bitching on twitter all day every day and holding bullshit rallies that cost taxpayers money just to stroke his own ego and ramble on.

Kale fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 7, 2017

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Frankly this last tweet feels like Trump trying to publicly make the generals say it's okay for him to do a war in east Asia. "Come on, you know you gotta! Bomb them!"

I am entirely willing to revise this if he goes on air with Huckabee and casually drops a declaration of war after talking about health care.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would not be remotely surprised if Donald is the most hated person on Earth since Osama.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Depends on what you consider "damage".

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Kale posted:

Donald Trump's only saving grace is that he is legitimately terrible at the job of being President - not "terrible" in the sense of "he would do things that would cause people great harm", but "cannot actually form a coalition or enact policy". As much as it pains me to say so, both realistic options we have to replace Donald Trump at this moment are worse - Pence is competent, and Paul Ryan is like a shittier version of Trump.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Shbobdb posted:

Trump will absolutely win reelection

:toxx: If Trump is not forced to resign and runs for re-election, he will win and win by a larger margin than he did the first time :toxx:
Why would you do this, and why would you wish this on the planet

Kale posted:

What do you want us to do? Violent revolution against the right? That's A: exactly what putin aimed for to begin with to destabilize the us, and B: would result in the collapse of the us as the leading world power in all likelihood, and that would mean russia or china took over the mantle, probably. Like yeah the us is hosed for a bit but hopefully we can dig out of it. But short of doing the best we can to keep things together until at least 2018 and 2020 there's not much that can be done until mueller releases his findings.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Niton posted:

Donald Trump's only saving grace is that he is legitimately terrible at the job of being President - not "terrible" in the sense of "he would do things that would cause people great harm", but "cannot actually form a coalition or enact policy". As much as it pains me to say so, both realistic options we have to replace Donald Trump at this moment are worse - Pence is competent, and Paul Ryan is like a shittier version of Trump.

Well when the only thing driving your policy is what did Obama do and what's the fastest way I can undo it yeah your gonna suck at governing because your not actually paying attention to developing situations and what's actually important.

Captain Invictus posted:

Why would you do this, and why would you wish this on the planet

What do you want us to do? Violent revolution against the right? That's A: exactly what putin aimed for to begin with to destabilize the us, and B: would result in the collapse of the us as the leading world power in all likelihood, and that would mean russia or china took over the mantle, probably. Like yeah the us is hosed for a bit but hopefully we can dig out of it. But short of doing the best we can to keep things together until at least 2018 and 2020 there's not much that can be done until mueller releases his findings.

Just hopefully do the right thing in 2018, it's about all I can ask for at this point and no once you go revolution you never really go back to the country you were. Anyway good luck, I'm off to watch the Nintendo World Championships before the Hockey starts.

Kale fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 7, 2017

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Niton posted:

I think that while Ryan himself might be worse for us, removing him as Speaker that way would result in a leadership battle that could really shake up the Republican House, because let's face it: no Republican wants that job.

Comedy outcome: Speaker Pelosi takes up the post once more due to mutiny by moderate reps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

do people like paul ryan and mitch mcconnell realize that when history is written they're going to come off very poorly? or do they just not care?

paul ryan i can imagine is stupid enough that he doesn't realize it.

• Locked thread