Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Tenzarin posted:

What would be their goal though? To make new robots in a factory that can breed or do some kind of upgrade on the other older models? It's like they are almost just doing the same thing the evil corporation Wallace guy is trying to do. At least hes trying to push humanity to the stars. The rebels are trying to pull a skynet on humanity.

The main difference is that Wallace wants to keep them enslaved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thread title:

Blade Runtime: 2 long?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

More like Blade Weekend Jogger.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Cacator posted:

The main difference is that Wallace wants to keep them enslaved

He had some with some degree of freedom though. Its not like he had them in chains. Somehow he would stop them from escaping? Wouldn't they just escape and breed anyway? He would just make some huge robot sex factory?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

exquisite tea posted:

The original Blade Runner is not even 2 hours long, and accomplishes a lot more in its runtime than this film.

Counterpoint: The original was 90% style 10% substance and this one accomplishes more in both aspects. Talk about chaff that should've been cut: the dressing room scene is the original is just Bad. My wife was amazed when I told her this was longer than the final cut that we watched the day before which we both agreed felt a lot longer than it should've.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Bio-bots.
Meat-droids.

Nothing is inorganic about them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Why does every argument about some new piece of media on the internet have to become some iconoclastic "well actually, nothing prior to this was ever good" defensive position instead of acknowledging that it's a reasonable criticism that Ryan Gosling could have spent about five fewer minutes staring at furnaces.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

exquisite tea posted:

Why does every argument about some new piece of media on the internet have to become some iconoclastic "well actually, nothing prior to this was ever good" defensive position instead of acknowledging that it's a reasonable criticism that Ryan Gosling could have spent about five fewer minutes staring at furnaces.

Where are you even seeing the imagined argument you're arguing against?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Counterpoint: I liked it immensely even with moody staring.

I liked the pacing and I'm glad they took the time to let things happen.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Tenzarin posted:

He had some with some degree of freedom though. Its not like he had them in chains. Somehow he would stop them from escaping? Wouldn't they just escape and breed anyway? He would just make some huge robot sex factory?

The systemic oppression of an entire set of people is not justified or excused if you pick a couple of them to help you subjugate them with.

Baseline testing as the new V-K test and their shared consequence for failure should be pretty clear about what exactly happens to replicants who gain enough independence.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Thread title:

Blade Runtime: 2 long?

Blade Runner: 2049 Minutes

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Maybe I am just racist against holograms but I didn't find anything involving Joi to be the least bit compelling. I know her entire raison d'etre is to be a perfect CGI waifu but that means I didn't "believe" a single thing she ever said or did was anything more than just her programming doing what it was supposed to be doing. I can't get emotionally involved with a character when I don't believe there's any glimmer of real consciousness there. I know this ties into the themes of Blade Runner and humanity and all that stuff, but it prevented me from responding to it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

exquisite tea posted:

Ryan Gosling could have spent about five fewer minutes staring at furnaces.

The music got so loud during that.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I appreciate that the movie let its lead performance breathe in a way that most blockbusters do not allow for.

I also appreciate that if a movie doesn't work for someone that the movie being 3 hours long might really suck for them. If they were to cut it even by 15-20 minutes, I dunno if we would see entire scenes be excised, I think it's much more likely that we would have gotten a movie with a much different pace, and a lot less gorgeous establishing shots, which would be a huge bummer for those of us who love gorgeous establishing shots.

Occasionally, there are even little jokes hidden in those shots, or the architecture that might not get caught if they didn't last that long. For example, the establishing shot of the LAPD building was hilarious, because in the future of course a major city's police headquarters would be a big scary fortress. Or the monolith that was the Wallace HQ which made the flying cars look like little ants.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

The music got so loud during that.

Zimmer was such a tone deaf choice to score this film. I know they were under the gun and had to quickly recruit a replacement, but the soundtrack was so blaringly obnoxious at points.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Linguica posted:

Maybe I am just racist against holograms but I didn't find anything involving Joi to be the least bit compelling. I know her entire raison d'etre is to be a perfect CGI waifu but that means I didn't "believe" a single thing she ever said or did was anything more than just her programming doing what it was supposed to be doing. I can't get emotionally involved with a character when I don't believe there's any glimmer of real consciousness there. I know this ties into the themes of Blade Runner and humanity and all that stuff, but it prevented me from responding to it.
Yeah. I found that relationship pretty fascinating, but it never felt to me like Joi was actually a self-conscious person, as opposed to being a super-advanced chat bot that was effectively adapting to its conversational partner. I'm sure that comes down to assumptions that I have about organic brains having a certain something that computers lack, and that something being necessary for consciousness.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Zimmer was such a tone deaf choice to score this film. I know they were under the gun and had to quickly recruit a replacement, but the soundtrack was so blaringly obnoxious at points.
That's one of the few complaints I have about the film. The soundtrack took me out of it at times because it was so incredibly and pointlessly loud.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Linguica posted:

I know her entire raison d'etre is to be a perfect CGI waifu but that means I didn't "believe" a single thing she ever said or did was anything more than just her programming doing what it was supposed to be doing. I can't get emotionally involved with a character when I don't believe there's any glimmer of real consciousness there. I know this ties into the themes of Blade Runner and humanity and all that stuff, but it prevented me from responding to it.

They showed that the Luv was monitoring the chatbot. I think someone already implied that they made it to trick a robot to reveal itself as the Rachael spawn but they never knew for sure one existed until the movie started.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Too bad we can't hear what the original Johannsson score was like as the scores for Arrival and Sicario were great, Villeneuve's reason for replacing it was that he wanted something more like Vangelis but even then Zimmer's score didn't really evoke that in me, maybe in a couple pieces. It's serviceable and suits the bleaker atmosphere of the film but I do wish they went for something more iconic.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Cacator posted:

Too bad we can't hear what the original Johannsson score was like as the scores for Arrival and Sicario were great, Villeneuve's reason for replacing it was that he wanted something more like Vangelis but even then Zimmer's score didn't really evoke that in me, maybe in a couple pieces. It's serviceable and suits the bleaker atmosphere of the film but I do wish they went for something more iconic.
It is unfortunate, given that the Vangelis score is one of the more memorable parts of the original, and really adds a lot to the atmosphere.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

All the really bass-heavy synths in the BR2K49 score reminded me of the Doom 2016 OST, weirdly enough.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Ersatz posted:

Yeah. I found that relationship pretty fascinating, but it never felt to me like Joi was actually a self-conscious person, as opposed to being a super-advanced chat bot that was effectively adapting to its conversational partner. I'm sure that comes down to assumptions that I have about organic brains having a certain something that computers lack, and that something being necessary for consciousness.

That's basically the attitude that humans take against replicants in both movies, though. And the first movie definitely makes you come down on the side of the replicants. Everyone's preprogrammed to some extent. It's what you do afterwards that make you you.

Tenzarin posted:

They showed that the Luv was monitoring the chatbot. I think someone already implied that they made it to trick a robot to reveal itself as the Rachael spawn but they never knew for sure one existed until the movie started.

Are you sure? I remember the sequence of Luv following the hovercar with a ... remote operated missile platform, I guess. I mean it wouldn't surprise me if she did follow K at some point via the emanator, because Act 2 ends with Joi telling K to download her and break the emanator antenna afterwards. Luv tracks K down not via the emanator but via probably some kind of implant all the Blade Runner replicant officers get, from Joshi's station at the police HQ.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

That's basically the attitude that humans take against replicants in both movies, though. And the first movie definitely makes you come down on the side of the replicants. Everyone's preprogrammed to some extent. It's what you do afterwards that make you you.
Yeah, but replicants are fully organic, so it's much easier to sympathize with them under the default assumptions that they're both alive and self-conscious. I'm not saying that those assumptions are justified, but they're pretty widespread (e.g., with respect to animals in the real world).

It's worth adding that it's impossible to know whether anyone or anything other than yourself subjectively experiences being, but most people are going to assume that their computers are simply machines, no matter how advanced they become.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 7, 2017

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I guess you can argue that Joi telling K to break the antenna was showing that she had grown beyond her programming and had become self-aware and self-determining to some degree, given the assumption that Evil Corporation was monitoring K through her. But without more fleshing-out it wasn't enough to make me actually believe Joi as a "person," if I was meant to, and it just confuses the issue if I'm not.

I sort of feel like "is Joi a person" is meant to be the evasive, unclear "is Deckard a replicant" of this movie. Except the problem is that your opinion on it directly affects your emotional engagement in a major subplot.

Linguica fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 7, 2017

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I think there is a degree of interest in making either reading viable. The film presents you with a decent amount of questions that you have to answer for yourself.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Linguica posted:

I guess you can argue that Joi telling K to break the antenna was showing that she had grown beyond her programming and had become self-aware and self-determining to some degree, given the assumption that Evil Corporation was monitoring K through her. But without more fleshing-out it wasn't enough to make me actually believe Joi as a "person," if I was meant to, and it just confuses the issue if I'm not.
Given that Blade Runner has its origins in a PKD novel, confusing the issue may have been intent. That's also the main reason that I love the syncing scene so much. Particularly given the ironies involved.

Totally agree that "is Joi a person?" is this film's "is Deckard a replicant"?

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 7, 2017

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
It's stupid and backwards that extended and director's cuts come out on the home release and the theatrical versions are shaved down the way they are. I didn't feel like I had enough time in the theater to just marvel at the sets and the composition and the hugeness of everything. If I was watching it at home I might skip ahead or just not bother, but I got more than my money's worth at the IMAX and I'm going to see it again at the first opportunity. There are way too many movies I regret not being able to see in the theater and there's no way I'm going to let this one slip away. I doubt very much that any of it is going to work as well or at all on the small screen.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

3D worked for this movie because it was very subtle and used mostly with JOI.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Since when is there some universally acceptable length for movies? The movie was a wonderful experience.

If I had a nitpick it'd be that I can't see how making replicants get pregnant and then waiting 20 years for their children to reach adulthood could possibly be more time or resource efficient than just building them like they currently are. Seems like a replicant creating life would also create a stronger likelihood of them rebelling or complicating their programming.

But I accept it as a macguffin

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Tyrell had his eyeballs crushed, Wallace was already blind. Okay, I guess I get that now.

BTW you can actually buy an umbrella with a light on it. Not sure what that's good for except not getting run over in the dark.

AdmiralViscen posted:

Since when is there some universally acceptable length for movies? The movie was a wonderful experience.

If I had a nitpick it'd be that I can't see how making replicants get pregnant and then waiting 20 years for their children to reach adulthood could possibly be more time or resource efficient than just building them like they currently are. Seems like a replicant creating life would also create a stronger likelihood of them rebelling or complicating their programming.

Off-world, you wouldn't have to keep sending/build a clone factory. Population would sustain itself.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

AdmiralViscen posted:

I think that what Wallace had in mind was to simply seed an untold number of far-away planets with reproducing replicants, since he could only produce so many, and the time that would be involved in that process wouldn't really matter for the end goal of ensuring the survival and propagation of a version of humanity (not to mention the ridiculous travel times, which is presumably why standard issue humans couldn't make the trips).

^^^Yep.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Did you guys catch in that penthouse room/bar that Deckard was holed up in, he had a collection of what looked like Sebastian's dolls lined up facing out of the picture window?

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

AwkwardKnob posted:

I was just poking fun at people griping about the run-time. I liked the length of it and I wanted more, honestly.

Yea I know. I was agreeing with you.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Gorn Myson posted:

Give credit to MisterBibs, he's trying something new by mustering up an opinion while waiting for the real barometer of quality; the box office takings.

Smokey, this isn't Sony Pictures Classic. This is Sony. There are rules...

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I watched the original for the first time about a week ago and I liked the new one a lot more. The original had impressive imagery for its time but it felt pretty meandering and I got kinda bored. This one had a plot that was easier to follow and more interesting. It's me, I'm the average consumer that film buffs despise.

Edit: my wife came out of this one furious though about the amount of female objectification

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

Personally thought the introduction to the revolution at the beginning with the one-eyed woman getting the sex workers to warm up to K and it's further momentary glance at the end was perfect. It didn't need more, but it didn't need to get cut either. I mentioned in an earlier post that it was obvious Villeneuve wanted to scope of the film's universe to breathe on its own outside of what the audience was seeing. It wasn't meant to be a central plot point. It was an addition to the world; something for the audience to be aware of but not dwell on. K was on a search for meaning - for finding a soul - and I think that scene at the beginning was supposed to fuel those emotions. He thought he was special, turns out it's he's the polar opposite and not even a centralized part of this revolution the replicants are planning. He's *literally* nobody despite so many grandeur events unfolding around him. In the face of something so massive he still feels empty and as though his personal journey to become special led him nowhere. Which is why he's so somber looking walking down that street when he runs into purple holo-Joi and why that interaction with her finally drove home what he needed to do to become more than human.

GeekyManatee fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 7, 2017

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Cicero posted:

I watched the original for the first time about a week ago and I liked the new one a lot more. The original had impressive imagery for its time but it felt pretty meandering and I got kinda bored. This one had a plot that was easier to follow and more interesting. It's me, I'm the average consumer that film buffs despise.

Edit: my wife came out of this one furious though about the amount of female objectification

Did your wife not understand that this is a movie about the literal commodification of human bodies and minds?

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Cacator posted:

I intentionally saw the film stone cold sober the first time so I could follow everything with the expectation that I'd see it again stoned as gently caress just to soak in the ambiance.

I was referring to the "royal 'you'."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
LMAO I'm sure she understood it just fine that doesn't mean she can't dislike it.

Finally saw this, loved it personally.

The best thing about this is that Deckard could stil be human or a replicant. :laffo: Well done Villeneuve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Cicero posted:

I love the original but its pacing is terrible. the entire sequence with Sebastian takes up way too much time for what it is.

• Locked thread